As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sid Meier's Civilization V: one...more...post...

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I didn't get a chance to play this very much last night, but so far I'm not impressed.

First of all, when I start it up, it asks if I want to run in DX9 mode, or DX10. But the DX10 button is bugged out and broken and I cannot click on it. So I'm stuck playing in DX9, even though my PC is a beastly monster and I can most certainly run other games (such as Crysis) at max settings in DX10.

Then I load up a game and play for a short bit and one thing was really bugging me. Did they remove the ability to issue multi-turn move commands? I had a scout unit and I would click several spaces away and it would show something like a 5 in the circle, which tells me it would take 5 turns to get there. So how come when I end the turn, the guy doesn't automatically continue as far as he can to his destination? I was getting annoyed with having to babysit and micro-manage a single unit. I cannot imagine how annoying it would be when I have entire armies.

couldn't agree more. I had a HUGE army last night, and I had to keep telling them where I wanted them to go every single turn, even after doing the "Get your ass over there in this many turns" move.

Also, eventually, I just started mashing "A", because I can't move onto the next turn without giving EVERYTHING some sort of command? There HAs to be a "Skip to next turn" shortcut somewhere.

You don't need to babysit the units. The 'finish moving' happens at the end of your turn. Just let the game handle it, and it'll be fine; I'd been struggling with this for a long time yesterday.

I can't find a skip-turn button, though. shift-enter isn't working.

I want the units to get from Point A to Point F, but they only get as far as Point B until prompting me again asking where they should go.

If you're moving your whole damn army remember that not being to end in the same space as another unit is probably causing you grief. Given the history of war that's either a bug or a feature.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Another problem I'm having is that every time I launch the game, the opening cinematic tries to play every single time and I can't skip it until its like half done. I've tried clicking all mouse buttons, pressing enter, escape, space, tab, and other random keys on my keyboard but every time I cannot skip the opening video until after the father and son have already been chatting for a while.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I didn't get a chance to play this very much last night, but so far I'm not impressed.

First of all, when I start it up, it asks if I want to run in DX9 mode, or DX10. But the DX10 button is bugged out and broken and I cannot click on it. So I'm stuck playing in DX9, even though my PC is a beastly monster and I can most certainly run other games (such as Crysis) at max settings in DX10.

Then I load up a game and play for a short bit and one thing was really bugging me. Did they remove the ability to issue multi-turn move commands? I had a scout unit and I would click several spaces away and it would show something like a 5 in the circle, which tells me it would take 5 turns to get there. So how come when I end the turn, the guy doesn't automatically continue as far as he can to his destination? I was getting annoyed with having to babysit and micro-manage a single unit. I cannot imagine how annoying it would be when I have entire armies.

couldn't agree more. I had a HUGE army last night, and I had to keep telling them where I wanted them to go every single turn, even after doing the "Get your ass over there in this many turns" move.

Also, eventually, I just started mashing "A", because I can't move onto the next turn without giving EVERYTHING some sort of command? There HAs to be a "Skip to next turn" shortcut somewhere.

You don't need to babysit the units. The 'finish moving' happens at the end of your turn. Just let the game handle it, and it'll be fine; I'd been struggling with this for a long time yesterday.

I can't find a skip-turn button, though. shift-enter isn't working.

I want the units to get from Point A to Point F, but they only get as far as Point B until prompting me again asking where they should go.

If you're moving your whole damn army remember that not being to end in the same space as another unit is probably causing you grief. Given the history of war that's either a bug or a feature.

I considered that. I paid very close attention to the paths they wanted to take, to make sure there was no overlapping. Still prompting me for action every turn.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Another problem I'm having is that every time I launch the game, the opening cinematic tries to play every single time and I can't skip it until its like half done. I've tried clicking all mouse buttons, pressing enter, escape, space, tab, and other random keys on my keyboard but every time I cannot skip the opening video until after the father and son have already been chatting for a while.
    There's an .ini file you can edit to skip it. Look a couple pages back if you need specifics.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've used backspace.

There's also a config file edit you can do, but I hear that since the game is background loading during the cinematic you'll still end up with 15 seconds of blank black screen in place of the movie.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There is a skip turn button; on the unit task bar on the left, there is a sphere with an arrow over it. That's skip.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There is a skip turn button; on the unit task bar on the left, there is a sphere with an arrow over it. That's skip.

shortcut is 'space', but that's not quite what he's looking for, if I'm understanding correctly.

Civ IV had a way to force end the turn; this appears to be missing.

ctrl+space seems closer to the old ctrl+a - 'continue last mission'.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

That's for each unit to "Do Nothing" on that turn. But I'd prefer to not do that with all the units I have. It'd be nice to have something like Shift-Enter to just bypass ALL requested actions, and allow the AI/other people to take their turns. There are slow points during bullshit peace treaties where you want to get it over with ASAP, and you have nothing else to do.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yeah but you shouldn't have to hit that button for every single unit. There should be some way to say "end turn yes I'm sure I don't care if there are still actions I can perform just do it."

wonderpug on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah I got you; I missed that part. Yeah, there is no quick way to end a turn that I've found. But I'm going to dive headfirst into the manual later today. I hate online/PDF documents, though.... wish I had something to read in the "office." I do my best reading there.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    only problem so far:
    when I tell you to go somewhere, don't just walk on city-state land or other people's territory I don't have rights to. Thanks for making me look like an a-hole.

Also, got simul-declared war on by montezuma and napoleon, which is almost bs as I had a pact with Napoleon. Just proves you can't trust the french.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    schuss wrote: »
    only problem so far:
    when I tell you to go somewhere, don't just walk on city-state land or other people's territory I don't have rights to. Thanks for making me look like an a-hole.

Also, got simul-declared war on by montezuma and napoleon, which is almost bs as I had a pact with Napoleon. Just proves you can't trust the french.

walking isn't the problem. Stopping is the problem.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thinking more on it: the end turn now thing I think has to due with the policy/research thing not being an automatic pop-up each time. I don't think the game wants you to end your turn "accidentally" and not picking those.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Maybe it'll get patched in as an option, who knows...

Definitely not a fast-paced game by any stretch of the imaginiation.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe it'll get patched in as an option, who knows...

Definitely not a fast-paced game by any stretch of the imaginiation.

Good.

Kinda bummed that Civ Rev was over so quickly.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Continuing last missions. I know it says end turn and your guy you gave the multiturn command hasn't moved, but that's the way it is supposed to be. If you hit end turn, he'll move and then it will end your turn. If he has movement points left you'll be asked to give him an order before the turn actually ends.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Downloading on Steam now. I can finally sit in my computer chair for an extended period after surgery, so I am stoked to play this. Between this and Halo: Reach, I have plenty to keep me occupied this week.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So land units are the only thing that can actually finish off/annex a city, right? It was getting kind of silly when I was bombarding a medieval level city with battlecruisers and bombers but I can't finish the job until I bring in one little paratrooper/tank. Doesn't help if they get one-shotted mid-embarkment right next to the coast by some old gallion.

I guess if you're planning some kind of intercontinental invasion you're expected to have a base somewhere in the area. Or is there some faster way of getting land units into the fight from your mainland? No kind of transport ship or plane? If not, ancient and medieval era invasions must be interminable.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, railroads are expensive this time. I'm going to miss covering my entire territory with them.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So land units are the only thing that can actually finish off/annex a city, right? It was getting kind of silly when I was bombarding a medieval level city with battlecruisers and bombers but I can't finish the job until I bring in one little paratrooper/tank. Doesn't help if they get one-shotted mid-embarkment right next to the coast by some old gallion.

Wouldn't it be even more silly if you could occupy cities with planes or boats?

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »

Apparently, you've never seen the fine cine-graphic masterpiece Speed II: Cruise Control.

Spoiler alert:
    An entire cruise ship runs over a harbor/port and into the city.
    I can't believe I had to spoil that.

A movie so bad even Keanu Reeves passed.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, from the stream of "Oh god, it's *insert ridiculous time* o'clock" posts, I guess it would be safe to say this is worth picking up. Heading off to Steam.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »

Well, couldn't the cities at least have some kind of "empty" or "unoccupied" setting where you just have to move the infantry in?

Speaking of railroads--there's gotta be an easier way of setting them up than manually sending out all the little workers once you reasearch it. Regular roads weren't so bad since I was building them while I exanded, so it was just a few at a time. But suddenly I get railroads and I have to construct this entire network all at once across the continent.

Eh, maybe this just is what the game is really like. This was actually my first complete civ game I've played, and I probably was a little overzealous with how many cities I've annexed, ie all of them. Half of them don't have adequate food or production, and oddly enough some of those are just ones I settled myself in a bad spot.

Still not quite done though. Hiawatha is still hiding on his little island with his sticks and stones. I thought I'd nuke him.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is there a maximum range that the game will recommend improvements to me? I'd like to see where it suggests I built these Customs Houses without having to traipse all over my empire.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Just out of curiosity, what level is everyone playing at? My first games I'm sticking with chieftain until I feel comfortable with the new mechanics. Then again, I had a hard enough time with Warlord and Noble in IV... so I'm wondering how the difficulty scales.

edit:
    Is there a maximum range that the game will recommend improvements to me? I'd like to see where it suggests I built these Customs Houses without having to traipse all over my empire.

This. I wish when you had the unit selected any space within 20 tiles should show recommendations; I mean I have a general idea where I should build cities but it'd be nice not wasting my first 5 turns looking for a recommendation.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm on Prince, and it's fairly easy so far. Took over my entire continent pretty easily. Nobunaga has not attempted any sort of aggression, and he's only a few tiles away. I haven't been playing all that carefully: making random (or at least quick) decisions; annexing up everything.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fucking douchebag cities states got all the good coastal areas!

Go on Dublin, piss me off I dare you. I will make your stupid little city into my summer home.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Downloading the full version of this. So if I had the demo, and am now getting the full version, will Steam automagically delete the demo for me?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Doubtful.

Tamin on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Downloading the full version of this. So if I had the demo, and am now getting the full version, will Steam automagically delete the demo for me?

Hahahahaha, heavens no.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It seems like the opening video doesn't always "exit," or somesuch, when you get to the main menu. I alt-tabbed last night, to find the video still playing, and just now when I went to take a screenshot of the map for advice on city placement, it took a screenshot of the video...

:psyduck:

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »

Hahahahaha, heavens no.

Oh.

So it just removed it from my games listing but I still have it on my PC?

Sheep on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Hahahahaha, heavens no.

Oh.

More than likely. Check the appropiate folders, though I've never heard of Steam removing demo files after downloading the full version. Usually you have to do that manually.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Hahahahaha, heavens no.

Oh.

More than likely. Check the appropiate folders, though I've never heard of Steam removing demo files after downloading the full version. Usually you have to do that manually.

"Delete Local Content" or something in the game properties in Steam.

Or go to your Steamapps folder and delete the file corresponding to the game.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    The BasharThe Bashar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does anyone know if you have to build roads to the improvements on the map for them to work or if you own the tile you get the bonus? I remember in other Civs you had to build roads everywhere, but roads get expensive!

The Bashar on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I had to delete like 10 demos when I was flushing out my drives cause Steam lied to me.

Max settings in this is like sex on my PC.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The Bashar wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have to build roads to the improvements on the map for them to work or if you own the tile you get the bonus? I remember in other Civs you had to build roads everywhere, but roads get expensive!

If the resource is inside your city's borders, and you have the requisite improvement on it, you can build a unit that requires that resource inside that city only (or any city that shares a border with it).

However, to build said units in other cities, that city that has access to the resource must have a trade route established to the city you want to build it in.

So no, not to the resource itself.

But, and maybe this is new, but apparently resources like iron and horses have a finite amount to them; example, one iron node has 2 units of iron, which lets you build two units. And that's it.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Durr. The Barbarians now have Infantry. This is ridiculous.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Durr. The Barbarians now have Infantry. This is ridiculous.

I would say start a custom game and remove the barbarians, but given the racial traits surrounding barbarians that would be a serious gimp to a lot of civs.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    They should noticably evolve with the rest of the civilizations... I consider them Pirates when they start wielding guns.

GPIA7R on
This discussion has been closed.