As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sid Meier's Civilization V: one...more...post...

tofutofu Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Games and Technology
24zcd1y.jpg

Just one more turn...

New to Civ 5 or Civ in general? Watch Giantbomb's almost hour long quicklook at get a good idea of the game

REVIEWS
Joystiq wrote:
For a game so very, very large, it delivers everything in an easy to understand package no matter what route you take to playing it. The core Civilization experience is still there, but it's like an efficiency expert came in and streamlined everything that had gotten clunky with the series. It's a "friendly" strategy game.
My favorite Civilization to date. Hex tiles and no stacking makes combat fun and more tactical. The new systems work incredibly well without altering what makes the game Civilization. Civ V is an excellent game.
Improvements to the user interface and AI at all levels result in it being more approachable for newcomers without losing any of the strategic depth that long-time fans crave. It vastly improves combat, making the micro-level gameplay both more complex and entertaining. It trims all the fat, leaving only decision-making, strategic planning, and the sheer joy of crushing your enemies. Civ V is the pinnacle of the franchise to date.
Civilization V is a brilliant expression of the turn-based strategy game by the undisputed masters of the form. It's a great entry point for newcomers, and veterans will delight in all the wrinkles and refinements.
Wired wrote:
In a sea of shooters with pounding soundtracks and frenetic gameplay, Civilization V is one of the few games to challenge players' minds - to have them sit back and analyze situations methodically. If Halo: Reach is heaven on earth for twitch-gamers everywhere, then Civilization V is the thinking man's paradise.

Sid Meier's Civilization V (also known as Civilization 5) is a turn-based strategy computer game developed by Firaxis and released on Microsoft Windows in September 2010. It is the latest game in the Civilization series.

In Civilization V, the player leads a civilization from prehistoric times into the future on a randomly-generated map, achieving one of a number of different victory conditions through research, diplomacy, expansion, economic development, government and military conquest. The game is based on an entirely new game engine with hexagonal tiles instead of the square tiles of earlier games in the series. Many elements from Civilization IV and its expansion packs have been removed or changed, such as religion and espionage. The combat system has been overhauled, removing stacking of military units and enabling cities to defend themselves by firing directly on nearby enemies. In addition, the maps contain computer-controlled city-states as non-player characters that are available for trade, diplomacy and conquest. A civilization's borders also expand more realistically, favoring more productive terrain, and the concept of roads has changed.

The game features community, modding and multiplayer elements.

This is a STEAM POWERED game, no matter where you buy it it will have to be linked to your Steam account.

The DEMO maybe be found here.

You can peruse the GAME MANUAL here, if you are so inclined. Can be printed for easy toilet reading!
Minimum Requirements

Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c

Recommended Requirements

Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 11
DLC wrote:
Additional civilizations, maps, and scenarios will be released in DLC packs. The DLC pack "Double Civilization and Scenario Pack" is tenatively scheduled or a late 2010 release.

Other likely DLC packs (not confirmed yet) include:

* Babylonia civilization
* Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Asia
* Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Americas
* Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia
* Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Mediterranean

2rwm2i0.png

The intro movies are a disguised load screen. You can skip them once the game finishes loading!

tofu on

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    Content to follow in a bit

In the form of a DLC?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Listen, there is no time for OPs now, there is only time for domination!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Downloading the demo now, here's hoping my GTS 240 can run this thing. I'd upgrade, but I also have to get a new PSU to get a top of the line video card and the more I wait the cheaper things get and ugh. PC gaming.

My wallet tells me to quit you, but Sid Meyer and the fact that Blizzard is finally pushing out things that aren't WoW say no.

Edit: 240, not 440. Whoops.

Darlan on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fuck yeah, Civ 5. Demo is still awesome.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just one more turn...

Feel free to steal from my GAF Civ thread if you want.

Also, this week's new Giantbomb podcast is up and has quite a bit of Civ discussion.
    1531351-sid_meier_s_civilization_5_thumb.jpg
    It's the first meeting of the Giant Bomb Civilization V Support group as we spend a considerable amount of time discussing Sid Meier's latest, as well as more thoughts on Halo: Reach, Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, the Tokyo Game Show, and more!
    mp3

Itunes

XiaNaphryz on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still don't know if Babylon's worth $10. I guess not.

PolloDiablo on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »
    Just one more turn...

Feel free to steal from my GAF Civ thread if you want.

Also, this week's new Giantbomb podcast is up and has quite a bit of Civ discussion.
    Majine wrote:
    1531351-sid_meier_s_civilization_5_thumb.jpg
    It's the first meeting of the Giant Bomb Civilization V Support group as we spend a considerable amount of time discussing Sid Meier's latest, as well as more thoughts on Halo: Reach, Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, the Tokyo Game Show, and more!
    mp3

Itunes
    Thanks bro

tofu on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bleh about another hour.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There need to be UI mods out, stat.

Or maybe the "small interface" option just isn't working for me, as some people seem to be claiming on the 2k forums. I certainly don't notice any difference (but that could be me).

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

What does babylon do anyway? Because I can't find any specific info anywhere.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2010
    Bleh about another hour.

I'm not going to be able to play until October, Mr. Whineypants.

Harumph.

Aroduc on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ronya wrote:
    Incidentally, NVidia is running a promotion where you get a free upgrade from Civ V Basic to Civ V Deluxe packaged with their GTS 450 card.

Last thread locked before I could ask... how does this thing work? Is it just a code you plug into steam?

I've been looking to build a new computer anyway, and this post sent me on a shopping spree on newegg.

juice for jesus on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So....

Apparently you can have Riflemen in 2,000 B.C.

There are some ruins that give you the bonus: "You found ancient weapons to upgrade you unit." They basically upgrade the tech of the unit that wandered over it. A warrior becomes a Spearman, for example. The problem is that you can find a number of these huts in a row, and suddenly that Warrior evolves into a Rifleman. Like this:
    rifleman.jpg

Source

Melkster on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Bleh about another hour.

I'm not going to be able to play until October, Mr. Whineypants.

Harumph.

This is to find out if I can actually play it.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • chipmanchipman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    There need to be UI mods out, stat.

Or maybe the "small interface" option just isn't working for me, as some people seem to be claiming on the 2k forums. I certainly don't notice any difference (but that could be me).

I haven't tried it myself, but peeking at the ini files (mostly to switch on the DX11 effects that are turned off for no good reason in DX9) I found settings for "Mini-Map Width" and "Mini-Map Height".

The file is "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\config.ini"

chipman on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    alset85 wrote: »

What does babylon do anyway? Because I can't find any specific info anywhere.

Free great scientist when you discover Writing. Double Great Scientist rate.

UU: Bowman (6 combat, 8 ranged -- "stronger in combat than the Archer, both defensively and offensively")
    UB: Walls of Babylon (80 hammer, 1 gold maint, 7.5 defense -- not only is better defense than normal city walls, but increases combat during bombardment)

Seems like a nice defensive civ.

Dracil on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Great Scientists essentially work like the Oracle in CivIV.

They are very very very useful.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I dont understand how gamestop/ebgames stays in business. Probably the biggest launch this week (month?), and they have no copies at mid day. Well, thats not true, they had 5 copies but they were going to pre-orders. Apparently only 1 "for sale" copy came in, but was sold 5 minutes after they opened.

Now i will leave work 1 hour early to go buy it at futureshop (because i have shitty hours), where i guarantee you there will be a literal mountain of copies that i could climb, if i really felt like doing that.

Before anyone says steam, yeah, sure, if you pay off my credit card i will happily buy it on steam :P

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So can I just take over city states instead of playing nice with them?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    So....

There are some ruins that give you the bonus: "You found ancient weapons to upgrade you unit." They basically upgrade the tech of the unit that wandered over it. A warrior becomes a Spearman, for example. The problem is that you can find a number of these huts in a row, and suddenly that Warrior evolves into a Rifleman. Like this:
    rifleman.jpg

Source
    I'm not sure what's better, the riflemen, or the pikemen and the riflemen at what is closer to THREE thousand BC o_O

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I played my first 2 hours before going to school as Babylon. Building an Academy with your free GS gives you a nice tech lead in the beginning of the game. The only other way I saw of getting research at that point was building Libraries and assigning Scientists to them.

Edit: That unit upgrade bug sounds kind of awesome. Imagine unearthing a Giant Death Robot from the ancient past and destroying the world :D

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    edited September 2010
    So I read an interesting strategy that may or may not work. Because happiness is national now, what you do is build a bunch of "happiness" cities with small populations so they don't eat up happiness. Now you can have megacities with huge populations with your extra happiness.

It's probably better to do this later in the game though, because that's when your main cities reach their limit, and because extra cities increase social policy costs, and national wonders require you have the prereq building in every city.

Dracil on
    edited September 2010
    Jephery wrote: »
    I played my first 2 hours before going to school as Babylon. Building an Academy with your free GS gives you a nice tech lead in the beginning of the game. The only other way I saw of getting research at that point was building Libraries and assigning Scientists to them.

Edit: That unit upgrade bug sounds kind of awesome. Imagine unearthing a Giant Death Robot from the ancient past and destroying the world :D

I don't think that works. The entire infantry line probably has 0 resource costs. GDRs require uranium.

Dracil on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    Melkster wrote: »
    So....

rifleman.jpg

Source
    I'm not sure what's better, the riflemen, or the pikemen and the riflemen at what is closer to THREE thousand BC o_O

Clearly these units discovered ruins of the City of the Great Race and armed themselves with eldritch weaponry! :P

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
    edited September 2010
    Zeon wrote: »
    I dont understand how gamestop/ebgames stays in business. Probably the biggest launch this week (month?), and they have no copies at mid day. Well, thats not true, they had 5 copies but they were going to pre-orders. Apparently only 1 "for sale" copy came in, but was sold 5 minutes after they opened.

Now i will leave work 1 hour early to go buy it at futureshop (because i have shitty hours), where i guarantee you there will be a literal mountain of copies that i could climb, if i really felt like doing that.

Before anyone says steam, yeah, sure, if you pay off my credit card i will happily buy it on steam :P

Didn't you hear, they stay in business through [strike]piracy[/strike] used games!

Dracil on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone having problem with dual monitors? The intro video had the lower and right half cut off and I couldn't scroll right by putting my mouse to the right edge, but N,W, S worked fine.

DrunkMc on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there a steam group so I can play with all you crazy people out there?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    crashes in about 30 minutes of play. :(

Drakmathus on
    edited September 2010
    Wow, the game is actually running really nicely in 1080p AND the game's auto detect settings were actually more or less what I would've chosen myself! (A mix between High and Medium, leaning on the high side.) Even the resolution was auto picked correctly, I never see that! I'm impressed.

Edit: Just for people looking for lots of setup examples, my rig:
    i5 750 2.67 GHz CPU
    4 GB RAM
    NVIDIA Geforce GTS 240, which I thought would hobble me here. Despite all reviews and indications to the contrary, this GPU has been serving me pretty well! Video cards are weird.

Darlan on
  • npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Those of you who are having crashing issues with this game... you're not alone. Every 20 minutes it hard lock my systems and tells me it was my video card. So I update my drivers and it still locks up.

I just want to love you Civ 5. :cry:

npc.EXE on
  • ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Loaded this up while in class today. I couldnt play with sound, but I look forward to hearing all the great music and voice acting. This game is so different from any previous Civs I played, I feel like I'm starting from scratch! Hopefully it will drag me in like Civ IV did.

Arcus on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Went to Best Buy after work to score a copy. They were sold out. So went next door to WalMart of all places. Not only did they have it, but it came with the America map pack.

DietarySupplement on
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Right, I'm going to bed. But do mind that I hate you all for playing this before us poor, poor europeans.

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am sitting here installing the game, flipping channels, and I see Warehouse 13 is on. All I could think was "Machismo is 1/2 way there..."

DietarySupplement on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zeon wrote: »

Gamestop doesn't care about new PC games. They make their money off of used games, which has been dead on the PC side of the industry for quite some time. Anyway, this game is very fun. I never got into Civ IV, but I promised myself I would master Civ 5.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Beat my first playthrough, Domination Victory, Warlord difficuly, Continents, and small map (5 other civs).(African dude, I forget his name)..

Had an upgraded knight as the UU, which worked out great as it came in as soon as I was getting ready to roll up some fools.

Ended up using a ton of tanks, which while very powerful against other units, get a 40% penalty attacking cities, made the process a bit longer than it should have been I suppose.

The game is terrific though, no crashiing trouble here, played about 6 hours to finish that playthrough. HIGHLY recommended...

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Shit my nearest GameStop barely had any Starcraft 2 copies come in that were not preorders. The PC games section is behind the 3rd party controller display. The side facing away from the entrance.
    All somber and quiet, behind crappy madcatz PS2 controllers...

DietarySupplement on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, there went six hours of my life.

Continued from previous thread:
    Wait, wait -- you're running a GTX260 in Direct X 10/11 mode? Or in Direct X 9 mode?

I have a GTX275 and Direct X 10/11 runs terribly. Direct X 9, though, with everything turned up runs perfectly.

DX10/11 mode, I turned AA off but everything else is on. It runs fine, but not great, sometimes I do get some slowdown. This is with an i7 920, which may make a difference.

Fats on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    Hey, there went six hours of my life.

Continued from previous thread:
    Wait, wait -- you're running a GTX260 in Direct X 10/11 mode? Or in Direct X 9 mode?

I have a GTX275 and Direct X 10/11 runs terribly. Direct X 9, though, with everything turned up runs perfectly.

DX10/11 mode, I turned AA off but everything else is on. It runs fine, but not great, sometimes I do get some slowdown. This is with an i7 920, which may make a difference.

I've been running an i7-920, 6GB DDR3, and the ATI 5870 and so far no slowdown, although I've only played early game so far.

Also: God damn barbarians.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited September 2010
    Well now you're just bragging, Dashui. :P

Darlan on
This discussion has been closed.