As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Colleges

1789101113»

• Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Moridin wrote: »
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    If any of them are on the common application program I'd recommend using that.

Yeah, I have auto-admission to at least two of them, anyway. Making sure everyone that needs standardized test scores will get them is the hardest part, as far as I can tell.

Almost everyone has bullshit 'supplements to the Common App,' though. ie, "Write an extra-special essay kissing just our ass."

I guess you don't have much interest in small colleges? They're worth considering.

I could never deal with a small school. It would be like high school with more alcohol. And not enough people.

Frankly, I tend to gain too much of a reputation. And at a small school, everyone would know of it.

geckahn on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anywhere between 2,000-15,000 people makes sense to me. Over that, it's just too chaotic. Under that, it's High School 2.0.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to a small school in the fall -- Reed College in Portland, OR. I can promise you that it won't be High School 2.0 for me.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to a small school in the fall -- Reed College in Portland, OR. I can promise you that it won't be High School 2.0 for me.

Hm. I know a duder who is as well going there.

If you ever run into someone with the initials ZW, tell him "Oh, ___ (his name)? I've been reading the thread for a while." and he'll be creeped out and I'll laugh.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know a couple of people who go to Reed too, and they are good people and love it.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeap, I'm pretty ridiculously fucking excited. I managed to get a full ride, too.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wish I could afford a proper college experience.

Suddenly I wish I gave a fuck in high school. :|

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    I wish I could afford a proper college experience.

Suddenly I wish I gave a fuck in high school. :|

Welcome to my life, circa now.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Anywhere between 2,000-15,000 people makes sense to me. Over that, it's just too chaotic. Under that, it's High School 2.0.

I prefer like 10,000.

Big enough where you can always meet new people, but not so big that you dont know most people when you go out to the bars.

geckahn on
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    geckahn wrote: »

I prefer like 10,000.

Big enough where you can always meet new people, but not so big that you dont know most people when you go out to the bars.

even at a school of 50,000, you'd be surprised at how often you run into people you know on a daily basis.

i dunno, i'd be more concerned about the setting of a school rather than how big it is. Bowling Green State University in ohio has like 20,000 students, but it's in the middle of bufu nowhere. i'd much rather go to a really really small or really really big school in a big, exciting city, than a nicely sized school in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do.

edit: which is 75% of the reason i chose Ohio State over Ohio University in athens. sure, halloween in athens is awesome, but since the only other activity for the other 364 days is to smoke weed and get drunk and smoke some more weed, i said the hell with it.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    PusciferPuscifer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I went to Brown.

Applied to Brown, Yale, Wake Forest, Princeton and UChicago.

Got accepted at Brown and Wake Forest. Waitlisted at UChi and straight out denied at Yale and Princeton.

Edit: And now BYU for an MBA. Something went wrong somewhere.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, dogg, USC has 33,000 students. Daaaayum. I dunno.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anybody know anything about Rensselaer? I got offered a pretty hefty scholarship there, and I'm interested. I'm probably going to end up visiting it sometime this summer.

Lemming on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have two friends who are going to RPI, unfortunately I can't really say much about Rensselaer except that my two friends going there are very much into the computer/software engineering stuff.

I also agree that location is more important than size in some cases with college. I go to a small private university with ~1,000ish students in my class, however it's right in Fairfield CT which results in a relatively short drive to NYC, New Haven, Hartford, and a couple hours from Boston. Meanwhile UCONN is a huge school, but it's in the middle-of-bumfuck-nowhere, CT. Seriously you have to rely on it's campus to do anything unless gawking at farmland is your idea of getting off campus.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, any guys using ROTC scholarships to go to college? Just wondering. I'm wondering what the process is for army rotc especially.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jast wrote: »
    So, any guys using ROTC scholarships to go to college? Just wondering. I'm wondering what the process is for army rotc especially.

A couple of my friends are in rotc. Morning drill is rough.

geckahn on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going on a trip in a few weeks through MIT, Harvard, and Cornell, possibly stopping by at Rensselaer or Worcester. If anybody has any tips as to what I should check out along the way or additional colleges along the route, I'd love to know.

Going into my senior year--writing up 10 college applications is going to be fun...

Could always drive an hour down from Cambridge to Brown.

Man, that drive out to Cornell was long... I did it straight after visiting Philly IIRC, and then back to MA. And then it was rainy there.

Visiting a campus when it's rainy makes you like the place so much less.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'm trying to get myself in shape. I've been doing pushups, running, jumping jacks. I still have a long way to go.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'm trying to get myself in shape. I've been doing pushups, running, jumping jacks. I still have a long way to go.

I'm refering more to the fact that when i get up at the crack ass of dawn (at least by college standards) for my 8:30 class, they have just gotten back from drill. Damn son.

geckahn on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeap, I'm pretty ridiculously fucking excited. I managed to get a full ride, too.

Christ, you must be a genius, or a crippled Native American woman or something.

I applied to Reed, Swarthmore, Pomona, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Washington, Yale, and Wesleyan. I'll be going to WUSTL in August.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah Tufts. Go eat at Redbones a few times while you are there for me. I will get fat vicariously through you.

Also, Anna's. I have spent many a drunken night in Davis square (quite a few in underbones as well)

JeffH on
  • Options
    MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going on a trip in a few weeks through MIT, Harvard, and Cornell, possibly stopping by at Rensselaer or Worcester. If anybody has any tips as to what I should check out along the way or additional colleges along the route, I'd love to know.

Going into my senior year--writing up 10 college applications is going to be fun...

Could always drive an hour down from Cambridge to Brown.

Man, that drive out to Cornell was long... I did it straight after visiting Philly IIRC, and then back to MA. And then it was rainy there.

Visiting a campus when it's rainy makes you like the place so much less.

Actually, that's a good idea. But yeah, getting to Ithaca from Cambridge is going to suck.

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Christ, you must be a genius, or a crippled Native American woman or something.

I applied to Reed, Swarthmore, Pomona, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Washington, Yale, and Wesleyan. I'll be going to WUSTL in August.

It was the combination of a $0 EFC (Expected Family Contribution on the FAFSA) and whatever things they use to decide who gets the Presidential Scholarship, which basically just says "All your need? Yeah, we'll meet it in grants."

I also applied to Oberlin, Carleton, Kenyon (waitlisted to all of those), Uchicago (got in), Stanford (rejected), Lewis and Clark and UC Santa Cruz (got into both and got a full ride to UCSC as a Regents Scholar)

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to the wonderful University of Houston this fall. It's going to suck.

However, Riotcow will be like 15 minutes away, so I may get to hang out with him a bit.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    'It was the combination of a $0 EFC (Expected Family Contribution on the FAFSA) and whatever things they use to decide who gets the Presidential Scholarship, which basically just says "All your need? Yeah, we'll meet it in grants."'

You have me jealous :P My EFC was something ridiculous like $70,000, when in fact its actually $5,000. Yipee for $25,000/year I'm taking out in loans!

HalberdBlue on