As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader PbP: Of Bolters and Battleships - IC/OOC

susansusan Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Critical Failures
Rogue Trader: Of Bolters and Battleships

rt-ships-1.jpg

Game Type: Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader RPG
Submissions: Up to 2 per person. I don't need more than a few sentences or so of background and personality, but hey, if you want to write more, by all means. Integrating backgrounds with other party members is always encouraged.
Character Creation: Standard rules, and I have Dark Heresy and Into the Storm if you want to use them :) . For Abilities, roll your scores on Invisible Castle and, if you're unhappy with them, switch to 100-point buy and buy away. Assume you roll Max for starting Fate Points, Wounds, and (if you have 'em) Insanity and Corruption.
Grammar: Strongly preferred.
Dice Rolling/Sheets: I am a fan of Invisible Castle for rollers, though if you know of other good ones, I always love to learn new things. Don’t know of any sheet hosting sites for Rogue Trader, so just Spoiler your pertinent stats here and they’ll get grouped up.
Story and Setting: This is up to you! Once people start submitting characters, I want a whole lot of cross-discussion about A) What kind of game people are looking for (political, combat, space opera, etc), B) What kind of Endeavors you want to pursue, C) What kind of a Ship you want to build, D) Anything else you want me to know. You can check my Signature for other games I've GM'd to get a feel for my style; I try to be flexible.
Players: 5ish of all shapes and sizes, though I reserve the right to be foolish and go over this number.
Posting Schedule: I ain't gonna lie, there's probably gonna be times where I can't post for a couple days, and I know that real life happens to people too. I'll try to keep up at least 1 post per day when I'm able, though, and hope that I can keep my players enthusiastic enough throughout so they do the same. If you're gonna hit a rough spot (finals, big project, etc) and want someone to take over your guy for a few days, cool. And if you're in the game and need to drop for whatever reason, please do post a quick message either on the board or to my Inbox; it happens, it's alright, it was fun to game with you, just please let us know so we can move on and decide whether to bring someone else in.
Submission Cutoff and Game Starting Date: It is Wednesday the 22nd; please post that you're interested in gaming no later than Sunday, September 26th, 11:59pm PST. You'll have time after that to finish up and submit a character, with the game itself starting sometime the next week.
Combat Map: I'm going to have an optional shared map for this campaign, so players can move their characters if they choose and so that if I get busy or held up a kindly player can go in and remove dead bad guys and knock them around. I've found with past DMing experience that the Map is often the biggest headache as far as fights go (this has probably killed a couple games I've tried to run); my hope with this is that through group effort and willingness to cooperate the combats will proceed at a steady fast pace and won't get bogged down by players waiting for an update. We’ll use a Google Drawing Document, hosted by me and shared with the players that want it. The image on the site will automatically update as the core document is modified. It’s actually pretty cool once you try it.

Ask questions, spread ideas, and I look forward to gaming!

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
susan on

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm game, if possible I'll just transfer my Explorator (Build does use ItS, haven't done starting requisition, have to redo wounds/fate). I also got him in a google doc, so I could share that once we get started. Busy today, I'll look into it tommorow.

I must admit that combat does worry me a bit, but it did get me thinking: Since Iniative is pretty random in RT anyway (Being predominantly a diceroll) you could just give a 24h period / round to make a move, first come first serve. (Technically this is an advantage if you are behind your PC all day and spam refresh, but I don't think it's that much of a problem). At the end of the period (When the GM has time), you NPC move those that don't respond, and then do all the monsters at one go.

With ship combat, we could have assigned predefined roles (Gunner, Pilot(spacecraft), using command to give a bonus to guns etcet) that people default too if they don't respond within 24h.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, the Explorator's fine :) .

I tend to use Initiative blocks in combat, so yeah, that's pretty much how it works out (though I do give a bit of time to players before I NPC them). Space Combat will likely have some people in standard roles, with the others running around and helping however they'd like.

susan on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think I'm going to build a Navigator for this one. Sheet will be up later tonight... probably

Moridin889 on
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wanted to play in the last game that came through, but never found the time to make a character (honestly, learning an entirely new system with so much already on my plate was daunting, same thing happened with an Exalted game...which looked VERY complicated even though I already knew WoD system)

I'll look into procuring the books and taking a peek and try to throw something together...i'd love to play a space game

Snowdown on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The good thing about Rogue Trader is that it's pretty clear what your characters strong and weakpoints are going to be just by picking out the starting path. Your career is the dominant force of course, and since you are picking up roughly half of all the character options, it's nearly impossible to really mess up.

The Core Rulebook is really all you need, though Into the Storm does add options.

Repost from the other thread, slightly cleaned up and adjusted to rules:

Dalaan Merzwacher
    Explorator (Forge World/Stubjack/Crusade/Hand of War/Exhilaration)

Base Stats
    Weapon Skill: 36
    Ballistic Skill 47
    Strength: 32
    Toughness: 41
    Agility: 33
    Intelligence: 54
    Perception: 41
    Willpower: 35
    Fellowship: 24

Wounds: 12/12
    Fate Points: 3/3
    Corruption: 0
    Insanity: 15

Armour: Head 5, Other 7
    Light Power Armour: 7, Other 9
    Talents / Traits
    Talents:
    Autosanguine
    Basic Weapon Training(Universal)
    Hatred(Chaos)
    Hatred(Orks)
    Heavy Weapons Training(Flame)
    Logis Implant
    Melee Weapon Training(Universal)
    Nerves of Steel
    Peer(Military)
    Quick Draw
    Technical Knock

Traits:
    Stranger to the Cult
    Hatred of the Enemy(Chaos)
    Mechanus Implants
    Skills
    Awareness(Per) 41
    Barter(Fel) 12
    Carouse(Toughness) 20
    Charm(Fel) 12
    Climb(Str) 16
    Command(Fel) 12
    Common Lore(Tech)(Int) 54
    Common Lore (Machine Cult)(Int) 54
    Concealment(Agi) 16
    Contortionist(Agi) 16
    Decieve(Fel) 12
    Disguise(Fel) 12
    Dodge(Agi) 16
    Evaluate(Int) 27
    Forbidden Lore(Archeotech)(Int) 54
    Forbidden Lore(Adeptus Mechanus)(Int) 54
    Gamble(Int) 27
    Inquiry(Fel) 12
    Intimidate(Str) 16
    Literacy(Int) 54
    Logic(Int) 54
    Scholastic Lore(Tactica Imperialis)(Int) 54
    Scrutiny(Per) 20
    Search(Per) 20
    Silent Move(Agi) 16
    Speak Language(Explorator Binary(Int) 54
    Speak Language(Low Gothic)(Int) 54
    Speak Language(Techna-lingua)(Int) 54
    Swim(Str) 16
    Tech-Use(Int) 54
    Trade(Technomat)(Int) 54
    Equipment:
    Boltgun Range: 90m RoF:S/2/4 Dam:1d10+5 X Pen:4 Clip: 24 Reload: Full Special: Tearing
    Good Power Axe Dam 1d10+7 Pen:7 Special: Power Field, Unbalanced
    Heavy Flamer with Nephium Fuel Tank Range 30m, Damage 2d10+6 E Pen: 4 Clip 10 Reload: 2 Full Special: -10 to agility test to avoid damage.

Armour: Enforcer Light Carapace
    Armour: Light Power Armour

Implants: Subskin Armor, Mind Impulse Unit

Servo Skull(Built in Auspex)

Multikey, Void suit, Injector, Sacred unguents, Micro-bead, Combi-tool, Dataslate
    XP
    XP Gained: 5000
    XP Spent: 5000

4500 Character Creation
    150 Crusade: Call to War
    250 Exhilaration: The Thrill of War
    100 +5 Int
    200 Talent: Autosanguine
    100 Skill: Awareness
    Background:
    "The enemies of the Imperium are as brutal as they are legion. They cannot be reasoned with, they can only be beaten. To overcome them, we must become stronger, faster, smarter. Yet the human body is frail, and it's mind is weak with emotions. Both tire easily. Luckily, the Omnissiah blesses those found worthy with power beyond imagination. The power to fight, the power to prevail. The cost is negligible to its gains, and I am proud to have made the first steps to show how to uncover, recover, the true power of the Imperium."

Dalaan Merzwacher was selected, on both physical and mental merits, by the Adeptus Mechanus of his birthplanet Forgeworld Idumia (Hazeroth subsector, Calaxis Sector), as a member of the Skitarii, the Organisations own army. Sent to battle endless hordes of Orks on an infested Forgeworld, he grew to hate Xenos for it's apparent merryment in the destruction and "modification" of all manner of Imperial machinery, as well as the many human lives lost to the Green Tide. In the end, they evacuated a few scraps of the treasures, before the planet was Exterminated, and is now unlivable.

Any soldier that survives for so long attracts attention from his superiors, and a Tech-Priest named Jax Alsu recruited Dalaan for his Survey-Team, tasked with recovering Archeotech and sacred artefacts from the countless worlds torn apart by war. Starting out as little more then a bodyguard, Dalaan was slowly incorperated into the team, and gradually acquired many bits and pieces of knowledge and lore, as well as taking on some cybernetic upgrades to aid him in his task.

Disaster struck on a nameless dead world, where rumours of an ancient Temple to the Emperor not only attracted the survey team, but a Acolytes of Chaos as well, and the Tech Priests walked into an ambush. Half the team fell in the first 30 seconds including Jax, and only four lived to evacuate the planet. The Adeptus Mechanus did not see it fit to replace the team, but on his merits Dalaan Merzwacher was allowed to try and accompany Rogue Traders to continue his search for the hidden gifts of the Omnissiah.

Only thing I haven't done is pick a starting acquisition. Are there any limits on those?

SanderJK on
  • RabidredneckRabidredneck Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Writing up an Arch-Militant, will have him up soon.

Saul Del'Cruz
    Arch Militant (Death World/Scavenger/Criminal/Hand Of War/Endurance)

Stats
    WS 41
    BS 48
    S 44
    T 45
    Ag 44
    Int 37
    Per 39
    Wil 34
    Fel 28

Wounds 17
    Fate 2
    Corruption 0
    Insanity 3

Skills
    Awareness
    Common Lore-War
    Dodge
    Intimidate
    Scholastic Lore-Tactica Imperialis
    Secret Tongue-Military
    Speak Language-low Gothic
    Survival

Talents
    Enemy-Underworld
    Resistance-Poisons
    Resistance-Fear
    Hvy. Weapon Training-Bolt
    Hatred-Orks
    Basic Wpn. Training-Universal
    Pistol Wpn. Training-universal
    Melee Wpn. Training-Universal
    Thrown Wpn. Training-Universal
    Sound Constitution
    Quick Draw

Gear
    Good Qlty. Bolter
    Good Qlty Hellgun
    Good Qlty Monosword
    Micro-bead
    Void Suit
    Enforcer Light Carapace
    Bolt Shell lucky charm
    Medkit
    Manacles
    Arms Coffer
    3 Hellgun Clips
    3 Bolter clips

XP
    100 Awareness
    200 Quickdraw
    100 +5 BS
    100 +5 Ag

Special
    Arms Master-Bolt
    +10% to hit, +2 Damage, +2 Initiative using Bolt weapons

Rabidredneck on
    Meanwhile, on the other side of town, our hero; cleverly disguised as a hard-boiled egg...
    edited September 2010
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Only thing I haven't done is pick a starting acquisition. Are there any limits on those?

No limits other than the regular rules; pretty much anything that comes to +0 will be fine.

susan on
    edited September 2010
    Rabid/Sander, if y'all want to start talking Endeavors that'd be nice and dandy.

Also, do you want me to roll off for the Profit Factor/Ship Build Points, or would one of you care to?

EDIT: Rabid, what's your choice on your Weapon Master skill?

susan on
    edited September 2010
    I'm sad. I can only manage to get 15 Insanity points at start in my build :D

I'll have the sheet up when I'm off work tomorrow, just have to roll statistics and mutations, as well as pick my starting requisition.

Moridin889 on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, people always take the Arch-Militant. Thats the only one I have a character concept for (well, besides a Kroot Hunter).

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well here is my new Astropath Transcendent. I decided to go another rout from the wyrdling mutation and instead make more of a scholar, though I do plan on going telekinesis rather then divination at first.

Gregory Keldak
    Battlefleet(Hive world) Stub-jack Renegade Press-Ganged Endurance Astropath Transcendent

Base stats:
    Base stats
    Rerolling Willpower
    [URL="tp://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2697400/"]Wounds, Fate, Insanity[/URL]
    WS 43
    BS 41 (46)
    S 30
    T 41
    A 32
    I 32
    P 36 (39)
    W 30 (40) Simple
    F 36 (26)
    Wounds:14
    Fate:4
    Insanity:11/100
    Exp 5200 spent/ 0 remaining

Skills:
    Common Lore(Adaptus Astra Telepathica,Imperial Creed, Imperial Navy)(Int)
    Forbidden lore (Psykers,Demonology)(Int)
    Scholastic Lore(Cryptography,Legend,Occult)(Int)(100 exp)
    Speak language(High gothic, Low gothic, Battlefleet War Cant(Battle cruiser The Valiant Prophet, Battlefleet obscurus))(Int)
    Literacy(Int)(100 exp)
    Pilot (spacecraft)(Agl)
    Dodge(Agl)(200 exp)
    Invocation(wil)
    Psyniscience(pre)

Talents:
    Melee Weapons Training (Primitive)
    Pistol Weapons training(Universal)
    Heightened senses (sound)
    Psy rating 2
    Quick Draw
    Dark Soul
    Officer on Deck (+5 to command tests on ship)
    Void Accustomed(No penalties for low or zero gravity, no space sickness)
    Ship bound fighter(While on a planet they suffer a -2 penalty to Initiative Tests and double the Ballistic Skill penalty for firing weapons at Long Rang or greater. These penalties don't apply to the character if they are inside a tunnel or other confined space.)

Telepathy - Astral telepathy,Mind Probe, Delude

Gear:
    Best Craftsmanship laspistol, Best craftsmanship mono-sword, Guard Flak armor, Charm(Saint blessed mercy blade), void suit, micro-bead, psy-focus(Green velvet bag with cremated psyker ashes), Common quality storm trooper carapace, X-7L 9mm silenced best quality stub automatic, Advanced Medkit

Background:
    Born and raised on board a ship in the battlefleet, he spent his formative years working on and defending his home as it participated in actions across segemntum obscurus. His abilities were discovered in his 14th year and he was sent to holy terra in shame, fearing he was the very thing his family had fought against for generations. He proved resilient though in face of the sanctioning process and was chosen to become an astropath. Hoping to be given a post aboard a battleship and continue his families legacy he embraced the training.
    After attaining his rank however he was recruited by an inquisitor who sought to purge a newly found feudal world on the other side of the galaxy of any heresy. He spent a decade planet-bound in primitive surroundings. He was either kept in the gilded cage of the governors palace or taken on ruthless and dangerous witch hunts. Eventually a wide ranging and hidden demonic cult was discovered and purged, culminating in a battle between the inquisitor and a powerful demonic being.
    Although he was cleared of any wrongdoing in the inquisitor's death and lauded a hero for actually facing the creature, his mission was deemed classified and the inquisition deny any involvement with him. He officially was simply a astropath assigned to a lesser planetary governor.
    Given the relative freedom to bargain into a new position, he arranged a place on the rouge trader's vessel, seeking once again the vastness of space and the battle against the enemies of humanity.
    Gregory has short cut natural red hair and a long thin face, dark complextion and short thin frame. He always wears a red blindfold to hide his eyes and prefers light jumpsuits for everyday wear. His speech is short and fast, often sounding flippant or rude.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited September 2010
    In terms of endeavors I am thinking, looking for lost treasures/alien artifacts/forgotten tech would be great. Treasure hunt! Also finding lost human worlds offer up a host of possible encounters and future possibilities. I think for the first thing at least, we should go out into the deep somehow, far away from the imperial space. The koronus expanse itself though is a great place to explore so it would be great to start there.

In terms of the arch militant problem, you could switch to a missionary, void-master or even rogue trader but follow a similar story line, basically instead of using combat to achieve your ends you do so by faith in the emperor, skill with a starship or by becoming a leader and king among men. Also you get multiple submissions so go ahead and drop your arch militant and something else too. :) Nothing wrong with 2 arch militants really (as long as they have different skill sets I suppose).

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited September 2010
    We still could really use a Rogue Trader of course, right now we're just a bunch of space warriors stranded in Port Wander. Or any "social" character to add to our merry mix of social outsiders.

I like exploration/trade empire building endavours myself. A large part of RT is having to play the well armed diplomat, the situation where you are both really powerful, but still kept in check by a huge force is what attracted me to the game. But a bit of dungeoncrawling is fun at times too, sometimes you just wanna shoot Orks.

Also, I have read all of the FFG adventures (Though I only paged through Lure of the Expanse ), and GM'd through 2 of them (The one in the Core Book, and the one in the GM kit), just in case you wanted to incorperate pieces of those.

Shiptype: If most players have ItS, I'd like to use the chart, perhaps with the rotation attached to it (Every player picks one step). I'm cool with just rolling too.

SanderJK on
    edited September 2010
    Updated character with gun preference. As for endeavors, I'm up for anything really. As for the ship, are you going with the book rules or making up something else? the last game I played the gm had us running around in a BFG modded battlecruiser. It was fun but battles went by very quickly, usually lasting only as long as it took us to fire the heavy lance or as we took to calling it, the wave motion gun.

Rabidredneck on
    Meanwhile, on the other side of town, our hero; cleverly disguised as a hard-boiled egg...
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm up for being the Rogue Trader, but my book will still be in the post for a few days. If there's still room when it arrives, count me in.

Xagarath on
  • PayotPayot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Autumn Victrix Anastasia Redbrook, Rogue Trader

Personality
    It's a fact : Autumn is better than everyone else. Which is why she's the boss and they're not. Really, even if she had not been born into a great family, she would still be at the top of the pile. Talent and determination. She does not act arrogantly, but the knowledge is there : she is secure in her identity, confident, undaunted. She knows that she will prevail no matter what.
    Background
    Everywhere she went, Autumn has been well-liked, even admired, by most parties. Of course, there are always some parties petty enough to resent her for her charm and grace and wits and focus and overall excellence. And rival families too. They tend to believe the worst of her before even meeting her. Such is the price of fame.
    She was born into the great Redbrook family, given splendid scholastic schooling and was preparing to rocket up through the ranks of the Ecclesiarchy in order to reach a position of power denied to her in the family (Due to being the seventh born of the fifth born of the current head of the family. And female.) when great-uncle Reronicus had the splendidly timely good sense to die in battle and leave the family Warrant unattended. She'd rather liked the old guy but his death was a delight to her for there was very little doubt who the Warrant would fall to. Her grandfather barely took the time to reflect upon the choice before remitting it to her care, along with a fine ship and the might and prestige of the Redbrooke empire. Of course, out there in the expanse, there will be much less rules preventing her enemies from harming her directly. But then, there will be nothing protecting them, either.
    Stats
    RollFel reroll
    WS 47
    BS 38
    S 41
    T 33
    Ag 39
    Int 42
    Per 35
    WP 34
    Fel 59
    Terrible rolls !
    Wounds 11
    Fate 4
    Insanity 5
    Skills
    Command (Fel)
    Charm (Fel)
    Commerce (Fel)
    Dodge (Ag)
    Evaluate (Int)
    Common Lore (Imperium)
    Scholastic Lore (astromancy)
    Logic (Int)
    Speak language (High Gothic, Low Gothic) (Int)
    Talents
    Pistol Weapon Training (Universal)
    Melee Weapon Training (Universal)
    Renowned Warrant
    Air of Authority
    Peer (Mercantile, Nobility, Government, Academics)
    Resistance (fear)
    Special Bonuses
    +10 to interaction rolls with figures of authority & in formal settings

VENDETTA :
    Equipment
    Best Crafstmanship Enforcer Light Carapace
    Power sword
    Best Crafstmanship Laspistol
    Void Suit
    Fine clothing
    Micro bead
    Xeno-pelt cloak
    Path
    Nobleborn
    Savant (+3 fel)
    Zealot (Favoured of the Faithful)
    Dark Voyage (Resisatnce (fear))
    Prestige (Peer Government)
    XP Expenditure
    200 Renowned Warrant
    100 Simple Fel (+5)
    100 Simple WS (+5)
    100 Dodge

Remaining XP 0/5000

Payot on
    edited September 2010
    Wounds / FP are at max possible, not rolled, so you luck out there. Seems we're getting a merry bunch together:

Finished characters:
    Autumn Victrix Anastasia Redbrook: Rogue Trader (Payot)
    Gregory Keldak: Astropath Transcendant (Void Slayer)
    Saul Del'Cruz: Arch-Militant (Rabid Redneck)
    Dalaan Merzhwacher: Explorator (SanderJK)

Open Careers:
    Senechal
    Void Master
    Missionary
    Navigator

Xenos:
    Ork Freebooter
    Kroot Mercenary

Interested players:
    Xagarath (Rogue Trader, books underway)
    Moridin889 (Navigator, char nearly done)
    GalagaGalaxian (Arch-Militant, Kroot)
    Snowdown

SanderJK on
    edited September 2010
    RE: Ship Points/Design - I was thinking going with either a straight d10 Roll for Ship/Profit Points (Core Rules), or the Pick a Path option (Into the Storm). Both are completely fine, though if we're going with the ItS option, there's a fair number of persons here who do not have the books and wouldn't be able to fully participate. Then again, if we go with a d10 Roll, the result will be wildly swingingly random and might not end up with a ship the group wants. *shrug* I'm open to suggestions and compromises. Maybe we all just want to build a ship everyone likes (up to a Heavy Cruiser; Battleships sound frickin' insane), add up the points afterward to see how much it costs, then subtract that from 90 to get your starting Profit Factor?

I'm liking the Character Concepts so far; I'm cool with Xenos if y'all are, though don't think I won't have fun with that option :twisted: . And the best way to figure out Endeavours might be to do some light pre-game RPing, where everyone's character is sitting in a Boardroom and hashing out their thoughts with the help of an NPC Adept Administrator who's there to answer questions and fill in details (played by me, of course). Thoughts?

susan on
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well if we have a crew, now all we need is someone to fly the ship! Presenting Jaakko Saari, Void-Master.

Starting Stats:

Image:
    1275272936297.jpg

Weapon Skill: 36
    Ballistic Skill : 45
    Strength: 31
    Toughness: 35
    Agility: 45
    Intelligence: 35
    Perception: 35
    Willpower: 51
    Fellowship: 30

Wounds: 11
    Fate Points: 4

Homeworld: Imperial World
    Characteristic Modifier: +3 Willpower
    Blessed Ignorance: -5 penalty on forbidden Lore(Int) Tests
    Hagiography: Gain Common Lore(Imperial Creed)(Int), Common Lore(Imperium)(Int), and Common Lore(War)(Int) as untrained Basic Skills
    Liturgical Familiarity: Gain Literacy(Int) and Speak Language(High Gothic)(Int) as untrained Basic Skills
    Starting Wounds: Double TB+1d5
    Starting Fate Points: 1-8 3, 9-10 4

Brightright:
    Child of the Creed: Gain Unshakeable Faith Talent and bonus of +3 Willpower, suffer -3 Weapon Skill

Lure of the Void:
    Duty Bound: Duty to the Throne: Gain +3 Willpower, the Armour of Contempt Talent. Suffer +10 penalty to Interaction Skill Tests when dealing with any source outside of the Imperium *Such as xenos, traitors, etc*

Trials and Travails:
    Calamity:
    Inured to Adversity: Gain the Light Sleep Talent, Hardy Talent
    Echo of Hard Times: Reduce your groups starting Profit Factor by -1

Motivation:
    Vengeance: Gain the Hatred(Pirates) Talent

Void-Master Special Ability:
    Mastery of Space: Reroll all failed tests with manoeuvre actions aboard a starship

Skills:
    Awareness Per
    Common Lore(Imperial Navy)(Int): Basic information about ranks, customs, uniforms, traditions, and famous officers and ships
    Common Lore(War)(Int): Knowledge of great battles, commanders, hero, and stratagems
    Dodge: Used as a reaction to nullify a hand-to-hand or ranged attack
    Forbidden Lore(Xenos)(Int): Knowdge of minor and major alien species, their threat, and appearance
    Navigation (Stellar)(Int): Used to navigate in space
    Pilot (SpaceCraft)(Ag): Fly big ships
    Pilot (Flyers)(Ag): Fly small ships
    Scholastic Lore(Astromancy)(Int): A knowledge of stars, sigularities, and worlds around, along with understanding of how to use telescopes, astrolithic charts, and such
    Secret Tongue (Rogue Trader) Int
    Speak Language(Low Gothic)(Int): Me talk good
    Trade (Voidfarer): Used in day-to-day operation, logistics, and defense of starships

Count as Basic Skills:
    Common Lore(Imperial Creed)(Int): Knowdge of rites, pratices, and personages of the Imperial Cult, festivals, and holidays, as long as I haven't drunk too much today
    Common Lore(Imperium)(Int): I know about our own empire, kind
    Literacy(Int): Mesa read
    Speak Language(High Gothic)(Int): Me talk not as good

Talents:
    Armour of Contempt Talent: Reduce gained corruption points by 1. On a successful Willpower test*free action*, ignore the effects of corruption points for 1 round
    Hardy: Always heals as if lightly wounded
    Hatred(Pirates): +10 to all WS test vs Pirates
    Light Sleeper: Always assumed awake for the purposes of awareness tests or surpise
    Meele Weapon Training (Universal, Primitive): Proficent in all meele weapons
    Nerves of Steel: May re-roll failed willpower tests to avoid/recover from pinning
    Pistol Weapon Training (Universal): Proficent in all pistols
    Sound Constitution: Gain a wound
    Unshakeable Faith: May re-roll any failed willpower test to avoid the effects of fear

Equipment:
    Power Sword: Damage 1d10+5 E, Pen 5, Special: Powerfield, Balanced
    Bolt Pistol w/RDS: Range 30m, RoF s/2, Damage: 1d10+5 X, Pen 4, Mag 8, Rld Full, Special: Tearing
    Good Quality Storm Trooper Carapace: 6 AP All, 7 vs first attack of the round
    Advanced Helmet systems: Inbuilt Voxcaster, grants Heightened Senses Sight and Dark Sight

Acquistion:
    Good Quality Storm Trooper Carapace: 6 AP All, 7 vs first attack of the round

Misc:
    Guard Flak Armour, Advanced Helmet Systems, MicroBead, blessed ship token, re-breather, Imperial Navy uniform, 2 bottles of amasec, vox-caster, Void Suit

Good Quality Mind Impulse Unit: +10 bonus to communicate with machine spirits, Tech0Use. Pilot, Drive, Logic, Inquiry, and Ballistic Skill tests when interfaced with MIU systems. Can experience the senses of any familiar I control *such as a servo-skull* as if I were present

XP Purchases (800XP Spent - 5,300 Total Exp):
    Dodge - 100
    BS Advance - 100
    Ag Advance - 100
    Wil Advance - 100
    Trade (Voidfarer) - 100
    Awareness - 100
    Secret Tongue Rogue Trader - 100
    Melee Weapon Training Primitive - 100

Background:
    Any who know Jaakko now would be surprised to learn he's from Spectoris, an agri-world almost entirely covered by water. The only seas he was predicted to sail was a trip across the lakes or oceans to another farm to work at. But he would not settle for such a mundane life. He dremt of the stars, and would make it happen, if through sheer force of will if necessary. He snuck aboard a grain freighter and never looked back.

A naval officer to bone, he's spent the better part of the last decade plus working his way up the command ladder. Having clawed his way there tooth and nail, he is extremely proud of his accomplishments. Still, advancement through the Imperial Navy without noble blood or the money to equal it is a very slow process. He had barely worked his way onto a frigate's bridge crew after ten years in service.

It was then he got his moment to shine. His frigate, Imperator Furiae was on a detachment with a pair of fellow Sword-Class frigates of Battlefleet Calixis on a routine patrol. They engaged a band of pirates, and things seemed to be evenly matched, with imperial training and technology vs the pirates greater numbers of smaller faster ships. However, a gap in her void shields let a lucky shot get through and hit the bridge. Emergency bulkheads quickly closed down around the hole, but when Jaakko turned around, where the captain's throne once was was now nothing more a large carbon score in the deck plating. Working quickly, he assumed command and saved the ship, and detachment destroyed and scattered the pirate force.

After they returned to port for repairs and report their actions, several officers viewed his action as borderline treason. Technically they were correct in it was mutiny. He ignored the normal chain of succession, as there still were higher ranking officers alive on the ship when he took command. Since his actions had saved the ship, they weren't going to drum him out for it, but it was made clear any opportunities for advancement he had at that point dried up. He'd be lucky to be to command anything larger than a frigate.

So he left the service, with nothing more than his uniform and his prized pistol given to him by his old captain when he joined the bridge crew. As it turns out a man with an Imperial Naval education does not have a problem finding work in the corporate sector.

Reposting *with edited stats* my void master. Ship wise, using the Ship/Warrant Path lets us customize our ship better it seems, which seems like a better*and more fun* option, I have ItS so I'm good with it. If everyone doesn't, I'll type up and post the relative bits of ship making for them if we do this. As for endeavours, flying around space founding colonies/trade empires/artifact hunting sounds like a blast.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Now that we've got someone to fly the ship, we need someone to guide it!

I'm currently working on a Navigator character, and I'm really loving how its turning out.

I've got a quick question though....(only have core rulebook).

One of the mutations I rolled as part of the Navigator's house is Natural Weapons.
    Because of my path, I'm possibly gaining one weapon training talent of choice.

Coupled with the other two mutations, the character will have a 40+ strength (With 8 characteristic bonus)
    and 40+ agility (with 8 characteristic bonus).

Does anyone know of any weapon type talents that would benefit a character with natural weapons and high scores in these? (or does unarmed warrior increase the damage from natural weapons?)

Yah, I know the stats and mutations make for an out of the ordinary navigator, but I think the character's going to turn out great...

Also going to make a missionary, probably sometime this weekend, for 2nd submission.

Snowdown on
    edited September 2010
    I don't have Into the Storm, my book budget for awhile went to ordering Deathwatch from the FFG online store, hoping it shows up soon. I guess I'll have to get it eventually. I've got one or two frigate designs I've played with I could post if anyone wants to see them.

Rabidredneck on
    edited September 2010
    I don't know of any weapon that enhances natural weapons, so I'd guess they'd just do 1d10+SB. A good choice for melee weapons with unnatural strength is the Power Fist, which doubles strength bonuses. Though there is an ork weapon that's near identical in ItS that mentions that if you already have Unnatural Strength, it adds a multiplier. Still, 2d10+(3xStr) (Pen 9) is an impressive, impressive hit. That's Punching out tanks territory.

Also, with High Agility you might wanna look into a Bionic Heart. It gives you the Sprint trait, which greatly increases your overall mobility (Though not during a charge, can't win 'em all).

SanderJK on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sorry guys, I just moved and my internets have yet to be installed (kinks and grudges working with the cable company here in my new apartment). My phone is my internet for now, if someone could copy/paste my character, Gant, fro, the previouse thread I'd much appreciate it.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited September 2010
    Well, if the crew is willing to risk the complications, this character's unique skill-set might certainly prove useful.

Background
    Whether they be a group of Blood Axe Boyz hired to attack one's enemies with the promise of loot, Stryxis Spec-Ops purchased with valuables untold, or favours from enigmatic Eldar corsairs, dark deals made by those playing a most dangerous game, the use of xenos mercenaries in the Jericho reach, while uncommon is hardly unheard of. Amongst these mercenaries are the Kroot, avian predators of uncertain origin within the Reach, they are infamous for their grisly practices but valued by the wealth for their tenacious skill in close quarters combat and their remarkable loyalty, as far as mercenaries go, so long as their price is paid.

While most Kroot mercenaries hire out as entire Kindreds, some can be found as solo individuals. This Kroot is one such individual. Its name unpronounceable outside of the Kroot's whistling and "clucking" language, it largely doesn't care what it is called, so long as it is given due respect. Most simply refer to it as "The Hunter", "The Stalker", or similar designations. Specializing in stealth and tracking, the Hunter has earned a minor reputation on footfall and several other worlds in the Expanse near the Calixis border as a skilled bounty hunter and sometimes assassin.

Taciturn and reserved, though not impolite and hostile, the Hunter rarely engages in lengthy conversation, except perhaps with those who have earned it's respect. However it often has unique insight on a given situation due to its non-Imperial origins, though such commentary is not always welcome. It also seems to posses a wry sense of humor, though it largely keeps to itself in this regard and could simply be misunderstanding of it's alien mentality.

Possessed of a strong, if unsual, sense of honor, the Hunter can be relied upon to be loyal and trustworthy to its employer, so long as it is treated with due respect and appropriately paid. In general, however, the Hunter seems to hire itself out less for monetary reward than the hunt itself. It relishes the opportunity to stalk strong opponents, and seems to see service with Rogue Traders and the like as an opportunity to get paid to do what it loves to do. Afterall, Rogue Traders are powerful individuals who rarely lead dull lives, have many enemies, and frequently face many dangers. It is almost certain that worthy prey can be found in the service of such individuals...

Character name: The Hunter

Skin Colour: Pale Green		Quill Colour: Black 	Eye Colour: White	

Stats
    Wounds: 12/12	Fate Points: 3/3
    Crit:	0		Fatigue:	0	
    XP Points (Spent, Unspent): 05500 / 00000 

Characteristics

WS	BS	S	T	Ag	Int	Per	WP	Fel	
    47	38    [8]41	37	52	37	44	35	30

Walk(½):	5  	Walk	10	Charge: 	15	Run 	30

Skills, Talents & Traits
    Skills
    Awareness (Per)
    Climb (Str)
    Concealment (Ag)
    Dodge (Ag)
    Silent Move (Ag)
    Speak Language (Kroot, Low Gothic, Tau) (Int)
    Survival (Int)
    Tracking (Int)

Talents
    Basic Weapon Training (Universal)
    Exotic Weapon Training (Kroot Rifle)
    Heightened Senses (Sight, Hearing)
    Melee Weapon Training (Universal)
    Mercenary

Traits
    Eaters of The Dead
    Field Craft
    Kroot Beak/Natural Weapons
    Kroot Physiology
    Non-Imperial
    Speak Not Unto The Alien
    Stalker Kindred
    Unnatural Strength

Equipment
    Gear:
    	Kroot Hunting Rifle
    		Basic, 150m range, S/-/-, 1d10+5 E, Pen 3, Clip 8, 
    			Full Reload, 4km, Accurate, Magazine: 8/8

Kroot Rifle
    		Basic, 110m range, S/2/-, 1d10+5 E, Pen 1, Clip 6, 
    			2 Full Reload, 6kg, Magazine: 6/6
    		Melee, 1d10+SB R, Pen 0, Balanced

Mono Knife
    		Melee/Thrown, 5m, 1d5+SB R, Pen 2, 1kg

Kroot Beak
    		Melee, 5m, 1d5+SB R, Primitive

Kroot Leathers (2AP all locations)
    Kroot-Modified Void-Suit
    Micro-bead

Armor:
    	Head:	2	Body: 	2
    	R.Arm:	2	L.Arm: 	2
    	R.Leg:	2	L.Leg:	2

Misc
    Mutations(s): None
    Insanity: 		00
    Degree of Insanity: 	Sane
    Corruption:		0
    Degree of Corruption:	Pure

Characteristic Advances:
    Strength: Basic
    Agility: Basic

Origin Path:
    Stalker Kindred

Bonuses:
    Stalker Kindred: May make Silent Move and Concealment Test as a Free Action, and may do so even while being observed
    Field Craft: +10 to all Concealment, Shadowing, and Silent Move Tests. Kroot treat forests, jungles, and similar environments as open terrain.

XP Purchases:
    Climb (100xp)
    Tracking (100xp)
    Survival (100xp)
    Agility Basic (100 xp)
    Strength Basic (100 xp)

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited September 2010
    I was pleasantly surprised with the stat turnout, and kinda surprised by the mutations, but my character is finished. Here he is, Vasily Xanatov, Navigator extraordinaire! (Voidborn/Stubjack/Duty-bound/Dark Voyage/Pride)
    Name: Vasily Xanatov
    Wounds: 18 (2xt +1d5 +5)
    FP: 4
    IP: 15
    CP: 5

Stats: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2698043/

WS- 34
    BS- 40 (45)
    Str- 39 (34)
    T- 40
    Ag- 37
    Int- 37
    Per- 43 (48)
    Wil- 43 (56)
    Fel- 37 (32)

Origin Path

Voidborn: -5 str, +5 WP, Speak (Ship dialect)
    Charmed: (on a 9, FP not spent)
    Ill-omened: -5 FP tests for non-voidborn
    Shipwise: Nav (stellar), Pilot(spacecraft) as basic
    Void Accustomed: Immune to ship sickness, Zero G not DT

Stubjack: Quick Draw, +5 BS, -5 Fel, 1d5 IP

Dutybound: Duty to the Throne: +3 WP, also Armour of Contempt, -10 Interaction with non imperial sources

Dark Voyage: Forbidden Lore (Warp), 1d5 IP

Pride: Heirloom (Archaeo-tech Laspistol, best craftsmanship)
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2698071/

Navigator
    Powers: Lidless Stare (adept*), Held in my Gaze (basic*), Cloud in the Warp* (Not yet acquired)
    Renegade House: +1 Nav Power, pick 3 powers and gain +10 to all tests with selected powers and others -10 to save/resist

* = Selected with Renegade specialty

Unchecked Mutation: Start with 2 mutations, 1d5 IP, 1d5 CP
    -10 to interact with Offical Imperials

Mutations: Bloated (+5 Wounds, adds Sturdy trait and cannot run), Pale and Hairless Flesh

Skills: (Not including those given by Origin path or purchased with experience) Common Lore (Navis Nobilite), Forbidden Lore (Navigators, Warp), Literacy, Navigation (Stellar, Warp), Psyniscience, Scholastic Lore (Astromancy), Speak Language (High, Low Gothic)

Talents: Navigator, Pistol training (Universal)

Equipment: Best hellpistol, Best metal staff, best-xeno mesh armour, Emperors Tarot deck, Silk Headscarf, Nobilite robes, charm, micro-bead

Experience: Awareness, Trade (Astrographer), Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), Willpower +5, Perception +5

Almost forgot.....

Background:
    House Xanatov once had a proud and glorious lineage, pristine in both its service to the Throne and in the quality of Navigators it produced. Were it such that all men could be proud of such accomplishments and give them the merit and honor they deserved. Alas, men are not paragons of virtue, and instead a rival Magisterial house accused them of tampering with genetics and producing mutant abominations. Such a charge might normally be laughed off, for surely not House Xanatov? But the ever-vigilant members of the Inquisition, zealous in their persecution of the unclean, began their purge before finishing their investigation. Most of the House was cleansed before it was discovered the evidence was forged. The Inquisition relented, but the damage was done.

Vasily grew up in an environment of hatred. Hatred of the House that cast them down and continued to hunt them to this day, Hatred of the unclean they were accused to be, and Hatred of the powerlessness that his family now enjoyed. House Xanatov was not done yet, though. They had turned to gene-manipulation, knowing it was necessary to restore their house to it's former height. Vasily is one of a new generation of Navigator, abilities heightened and body twisted in order to serve the Throne. For even in their disgrace, House Xanatov looks to only the Emperor for guidance and protection.

Seeking his fortune among the distant stars, Vasily will reclaim his House's honor, letting no weakness of the mind or body stop him from such a feat.

Moridin889 on
    edited September 2010
    If you could give us a quick rundown of the fleet origin path (or whatever its called) anyone without the book could just make RP based decisions. I am cool with random rolling though, even a frigate can be an awesome ship to play on.

Also, who said we needed social skills? I have mind probe and delude... lol wait...

In terms of the natural weapons, they count as primitive like other unarmed attacks so you would need the talents Unarmed warrior and unarmed master to remove that penalty and make yourself a deadly talon fighter. That would require an alternate advancement though, taken from the arch-militant line. It is still awesome though to have a weapon you cannot part with besides your warp eye (I choose psychic scream for that reason), I would take for your weapon training melee(universal) for a power weapon or Basic weapon training(Universal) for plasma guns, melta guns and so forth, or if you have such high strength you could go for heavy weapons, no one messes with a navigator carrying a lascannon :). There is no unarmed weapon training though so you'll always attack with your high weapon skill.

Oh wait max wounds, fate and INSANITY? Woot I get to roll on the insanity table before we even start!
    Editing character now.

Edit: Oh they did a poor job of this in the book but there are skills and talents in the rank 1 section you can not select a second time as you got them in your initial free skills, for a navigator selecting Navigation(warp) and Scholastic Lore (Astromancy) a second time doesn't actually do anything useful I think. The errata on FFG website says that explicitly (though they should have mentioned it somewhere in the book).

Void Slayer on
    edited September 2010
    Selecting the skill a second time gives you the next level in it, improving you checks by 10%.

That is what I am led to believe by the skills section at least.

Moridin889 on
    edited September 2010
    Not so. You have to specifically buy "XYZ Skill +10" to get the next level.

The skills are redundantly listed in the first rank for the purpose of Elite Advance purchase reference for other careers ("Well, it would've taken the Missionary XXX XP to pick up his starting ABC skill, so I'll let you buy it for XXX+200") or for if the character takes a background package that takes away one of his normal starting skills.

GalagaGalaxian on
    edited September 2010
    I just read the FAQ and saw that. Alrighty, I'll just switch those around real quick-like to Perception and Willpower bonuses. Yay stat boosts!

Moridin889 on
    edited September 2010
    Sorry guys, I just moved and my internets have yet to be installed (kinks and grudges working with the cable company here in my new apartment). My phone is my internet for now, if someone could copy/paste my character, Gant, fro, the previouse thread I'd much appreciate it.
    Name: Gant

Starting Characteristics: WS 34, BS 31. S 31, T 34, Ag 34, Int 44, Per 35, WP 43, Fel 39

Home World: Deathworld
    Characteristic Modifiers: +5 S, +5 T, -5 WP, -5 Fel
    Starting skills: Survival
    Hardened: Gained the Jaded talent
    If it bleeds, I can kill it: Gained melee weapon training (primitive) talent
    Paranoid: -10 penalty to all interaction Skill Tests made in formal surroundings
    Survivor: +10 bonus to any pinning or shock tests
    Starting Wounds: Double Toughness bonus + 1d5+2 (10)
    Starting Fate: 3

Birthright: Scavanger
    Resistance (Fear Talent)
    +3 bonus to Agility
    4 corruption points

Lure of the Void: Tainted
    Deviant Philosophy: +3 WP and Enemy (Ecclesiarchy) Talent

Trials and Travails: The Hand of War
    The Ashes of War: Heavy Weapon Training (Melta) and Hatred (Chaos worshippers)
    The Face of the Enemy: -10 to Fel tests in dealing with Chaos worshippers (also must take a WP test to avoid reacting violently towards the at the slightest provocation).

Motivation: Fortune
    +1 Fate point (for a total of 4 now)

Career: Arch-Militant
    Starting Skills: Common Lore (War) (Int), Dodge (Ag), Intimidate (S), Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis) (Int), Secret Tounge (Military) (Int), Speak Language (Low Gothic) (Int).
    Starting Talents: Basic Weapon Training (Universal), Pistol Weapon Training (Universal), Melee Weapon Training (Universal), Thrown Weapon training (Universal), Sound Constitution.
    Starting Gear: Good-Craftsmanship hellgun, one good-craftsmanship primitive melee weapon w/mono upgrade, Micro-bead, void suit, enforcer light carapace armor, bolt shell keepsake, medkit, manacles, and data-slate full of wanted bounties.
    Special Talent: Weapon Master (Melee) (+10% bonus to hit, +2 to damage, +2 to initiative when using melee)

Profit Factor: 50
    Ship Points: 40

Background:
    Gant was born to one of the many techno-barbarian tribes roaming the face of his ruined home world. He speaks of its name to no one, but this was once a world of city-wide forges run by the Adepts of the Machine God. A great Forge World, totally geared towards the production of war materials for the Imperium's armies in the Calixis sector. Thousands of years ago the planet fell into civil war within the Mechanicus as cultists of the Dark Adeptus rose up and plunged the world into darkness. Demon engines warred with Titans and swarms of sentient AI battled the regiments of Skitarri loyal to the Preisthood of Mars. When all was said and done, both factions had destroyed each other and no one was victorious. The world was a ruin of its former self, the population decimated, feral AI running amok and preying on the remaining humans, the great Forge World had become a Death World. Born into a tribe of some of the remaining humans of his world, Gant's people had taken refuge in an old Bolter shell factory for generations, that is until his tribe was massacred by descendants of the Dark Adeptus factions and he was taken into slavery. Sold into the service of a rouge merchant, dealing in slave labor from feral worlds, Gant bided his time and jumped ship at the first port they stopped at, Port Wander. Here Gant sold his services as a hired fighter to any merchant, trader, or crime-lord who would have him. Over the years Gant has become a near peerless warrior in the Koronus Expanse, learning everything he could from former members of the Imperial Guard, to famous Pit Fighters. It is his ultimate goal to earn enough wealth of his own to raise an army and take them back to the world only he knows the name of, and reconquer it in an effort to change the status quo of his people there. For this he seeks a benefactor who can provide him with a Writ of Reclamation, which will give him the resources he needs to do this. For this he is willing to do absolutely anything in order to attain it, and many have died who have stood in his way.

SanderJK on
    edited September 2010
    I guess I might make my second submission a social guy, given the lack of them.
    Suspect the book won't be here before Tuesday, though.

Xagarath on
    edited September 2010
    Ship Chart overview:

There are "Nones" listed because the chart doesn't have the same amount of choices everywhere. This way every same number lines up vertically.

I didn't include the balance between SP and PF on purpose, because this way it's left open as a more of RP choice. All but 2 of these options are just balance choices between a lot of SP, and a lot of PF, apart from the RP hooks it gives.

The suggested method listed in the book is that each player takes a turn in choosing one option, and working down the chart.

ItS has a few extra ships and components too, which basicly widen the range of choices (Going from a 21pt Transport to a 62pt Cruiser)
    There are also some buyable abilities instead of the random role on the complication table.

Warrant Age:
    1. None
    2. The Waning
    3. Age of Redemption
    4. Age of Apostasy
    5. The Forging
    6. Age of Rebirth

Fortune & Fate:
    1. None
    2. Rising Star
    3. Ascending
    4. Stable
    5. Struggling
    6. Fallen From Grace

Acquisition:
    1. Exile
    2. Blackmail
    3. Prize-of-war
    4. Ecclesiarchial Bequest
    5. Administratum Trade Mandate
    6. Bribery
    7. Reward

Sanction:
    1. None
    2. Halo Artefacts
    3. Fall of the Tellurian Combine
    4. The Meritech Wars
    5. Angevin Crusade
    6. Age of Plunder

Contacts:
    1. Pirates
    2. Merchant Houses
    3. Missionaris Galaxia
    4. Adeptus Mechanus
    5. Battlefleet

Warrant Renown:
    1. None
    2. None
    3. Infamous
    4. Unknown
    5. Famous

SanderJK on
    edited September 2010
    If we don't get any talkie characters. I have a Missionary that I actually use in RT Paper and Pencil that I can sub in instead. My bloated mutant monstrosity is just so cool though. :p

Moridin889 on
    edited September 2010
    Well, it's not hard to imagine a RT stocking up on a bunch of elite warriors for his adventures into the Koronus Expanse. You could even see it as a double gain: He gets to control all the conversations, and he is exceptionally protected. He does have to explain the presence of Kroots, Mutants, and bitter wartorn every banquet though, while they all stand in the corner discussion which giant gun is best for shooting what.

SanderJK on
    edited September 2010
    Submitted Characters:
    Autumn Victrix Anastasia Redbrook: Rogue Trader (Payot)
    Gregory Keldak: Astropath Transcendant (Void Slayer)
    Saul Del'Cruz: Arch-Militant (Rabid Redneck)
    Dalaan Merzhwacher: Explorator (SanderJK)
    Jaakko Saari: Void-Master (Fonder_Yards)
    'The Hunter': Kroot (GalagaGalaxian)
    Vasily Xanatov: Navigator (Moridin889)
    Gant: Arch-Millitant (Witch_Hunter_84)

Additional Interested Players:
    Xagarath (Rogue Trader/Social Character, books underway)
    Snowdown (No Books)

Hmm... This is actually more interest than I had anticipated... I'm going to move up the date to state interest in playing in the game (*NOTE: that is State Interest, not Submit Characters. If you're on the list above, you're on the list.). Stay tuned for more information as I make it up...

susan on
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Here you go Void-Slayer,
    Battlefleet Characters:

You were born to a life aboard ship. Nothing stirs your blood more than sailing the voids or facing pirate ships with gun batteries locked. Yours is a tradition of bravery. honour, sacrifice, and adventure. The voids is where you truly feel alive. You have grown up within the confine of the Battlefleet and as such you are confident, arrogant, loud, and brash-- with the skills to back it up. You see yourself as a born leader and commander, and a Rogue Trader's ship offers both a desired challenge and a chance to write your legacy amongst the stars.

On the Origins Path chart, Battlefleet may be taken instead of Hive World.

Characteristic Modifiers: +5 Willpower; +3 Fellowship; -5 Perception

Starting Skills: Common Lore (Imperial Navy)(Int), and Speak Language (Battlefleet War Cant)(Int) as trained skills.

Officer on Deck: All Battlefleet characters gain a +5 bonus to all command tests while aboard any spacecraft.

Void-Born Ancestry: A Battlefleet character may choose Navigation (Atellar) or Pilot (Space Craft) as a trained skill. Those also gain Void Accustomed(Immune to space travel sickness, zero and low gravity environments are not considered difficult terrain)

Ship-Bound Fighter: While on a planet they suffer a -2 penalty to Initiative Tests and double the Ballistic Skill penalty for firing weapons at Long Rang or greater. These penalties don't apply to the character if they are inside a tunnel or other confined space.

Starting Wounds: Double Toughness Bonus and add 1d5

Starting Fate Points: Roll a d10, 1-6 3, 7-10 4.

For people with ItS, should we use ship roles? Also christ Moridin nice stat rolls.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
    edited September 2010
    Just awesome Fondor_Yards, thanks. I am going to grab that first (it doesn't conflict with my current origin path) and then go buy that book, I certainly need that if I'm gonna play or host one of these. Edit incoming.

Void Slayer on
    edited September 2010
    Alright, here's how I want to work out the ship thing and the Endeavor thing, at the same time, DUN DUN DUNNNNN. I'm going to start up an In Character conversation, where the Players are in a boardroom at Port Wander, their ship docked in the station and taking in supplies as the new crew adjusts and makes their final plans for where they want to push their luck. This will all be free-form with little if any actual rolling; I'm hoping to give everyone a chance to stretch their character's legs in a safe environment before I throw them unprotected into the Warp. It is not required, but I'm hoping it'll give me a feel for some of the players, and that it'd be fun to boot.

The conversation will revolve largely around Endeavors; players will make suggestions and ask questions, while the NPCs (me) will answer questions and possibly guide the conversation along constructive routes. I have no idea how well this will work *fingers crossed*.

As for the Ship, every time a player makes a contribution to the conversation, they will be allowed to make a suggestion along the Ship Building Path posted by Sander. This will be first-post first-choice; I'm hoping to avoid a group veto to a suggestion, but if there's a consensus, well, majority just might rule. Each Player will be able to make one choice along the path, and will be encouraged to post a brief blurb description of the context of said choice. Once the results are chosen, the resulting ship points and any extras will be posted, and then the group will create the Frigate of their dreams. Again, I have no idea how well this will work *fingers crossed*.

When you're making a Roleplaying post, be sure to separate it out from any other posting, for example:

- - - - ROLEPLAY SECTION - - - - - ROLEPLAY SECTION - - - - - ROLEPLAY SECTION - - - - - ROLEPLAY SECTION - - - - -

A raspy pointed cough draws your attention away from your goblets of spiced wine to the head of the executive boardroom of Administrative Tower C29, on the highest levels of Port Wander Station upon the tip of the Koronus Expanse. An ancient civil servant stands before you all, his mechanical eyes slowly sweeping the room as his nearly transparent hands grip folders, datapads and dossiers tightly against his side. Seeing that he has your attention, the man speaks, his voice dusty and full of the promise of knowledge that you desperately need.

"Gentlemen, my Ladies, I am Seneschal Marcus Tybern of the House Tybern, assigned to the Lords of Port Wander and having served the Lord our Emperor for some 83 Years in my various postings. Through my time of service I have learned many things, not the least of which includes much of the known data of the layout and workings of the Koronos Expanse, gained through interactions with captains and crews of the far too few ships that have ventured into the Void and made it safely back home. It is for my knowledge that I have been invited today to speak before you today, and by the Grace of the Emperor I swear to give you all the information you will need to serve Him on your journey into that dark place where many brave men have met their fate."

The Seneschal places the folders and pads on the table, flipping open a dossier with shockingly nimble fingers. He scans the contents of the page as he speaks to you now, "So, you're packing long range Auspexes, quad-drill laser rigs, heavy lifters, lifesignal scanners... I can see you're planning on doing some searching out in the Expanse. For Treasure and Trade, I take it? Find some of our lost tech, study it, retrieve it, and maybe even find some of the Emperor's lost flock to bring back into the fold to spread His light and to make a fair bit of Profit on the side? You may speak freely in front of me; I've long held that Greed is one of Mankind's greatest enlightenments, though only when proper respect and tithes are paid to the Throne of course."

- - - - ROLEPLAY SECTION - - - - - ROLEPLAY SECTION - - - - - ROLEPLAY SECTION - - - - - ROLEPLAY SECTION - - - - -

susan on
    edited September 2010
    Oh, in case it's relevant, apparently p.290 of the rulebook has rules for multiple Rogue Trader PCs.

Xagarath on
    edited September 2010
    For those crossing 10 Insanity: All Insanity effects on reaching a multiple of 10 are temporary (though having one fit or not could be part of your background), until you reach 40 when you develop phobia's and such.

This is not the case for Corruption, those effects are permanent, and really should be rolled.

I rolled mine, presumably they happened during my Call to War (Which gave me 10 points)
    Willpower v Insanity(10) (1d100=71) (Failed)

Mental Trauma (+10) (1d100=92):

Something spooked me so much I was fearful bordering on paranoid for a few days. (I'll think about a little background story later)

SanderJK on