As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hiphopapotamus his [CHAT]ing is bottomless

• Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I was bullied like you wouldn't believe as a kid (all moderators were, natch), in a myriad of different occasions for just as many different reasons, and waking up to stories of childhood trauma is still the last thing I'd want in the morning.

Save that for after lunch, at least. Clearly no-one bullied any manners into those kids.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    sup! kinda new here just wanted to start off right: in the artist's corner. i used to go to art school. maybe i'll share some of my shit sometime.

@D-Robe: that dude's a bad ass. your style is way good. do you color?
    Welcome. Please do share. That dude would be mine, but is actually theirs:

and yes I color, but not all that well.

Sonic on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wisdom tooth. gnawing. at. sanity.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I watched Heavy Metal.. I don't know what it's about, but it has boobs and awesome.

TheBog on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I missed out on Heavy Metal when some friends watched it last year.

Something about a nerd who gets super buff and has a problem with his dork?

Fugitive on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nothing more fun than waking up to a 2 minute long leg cramp and ending up on the floor.

It always feels like the muscles are twisted up into a knot and it can never go back to normal. I hate that.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Heavy Metal is pretty cool I like when those two aliens snuff 100 pounds of coke of the floor with their vacuum noses.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    CapnMango wrote: »
    Nothing more fun than waking up to a 2 minute long leg cramp and ending up on the floor.

It always feels like the muscles are twisted up into a knot and it can never go back to normal. I hate that.

Holy crap, I know what you mean. I instinctively stretch my legs out when I wake up, but occasionally my calf muscle will turn into a pretzel and I'll sit there writhing in pain for about 30 straight minutes. The last time it happened I went through the next three days feeling like someone Jackie Chan'd my leg.

I take a potassium supplement which is supposed to help, but it doesn't always prevent it. Freaking horrible way to wake up.

PeterAndCompany on
  • Options
    ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One time that happened to me and the pain was so sharp I jumped up too fast and blood rush caused me to pass out.

Chromatomic on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was bullied like you wouldn't believe as a kid (all moderators were, natch), in a myriad of different occasions for just as many different reasons, and waking up to stories of childhood trauma is still the last thing I'd want in the morning.

Save that for after lunch, at least. Clearly no-one bullied any manners into those kids.

My mom was a teacher at every school I ever went to, so up untill 11th grade kids picked on me just to get to her. Even at college she was also a teacher there, but by then people didn't care.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    MT there is no time of the day when your sig doesn't make me crave burnt toast.

tynic on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010

My mom was a teacher at every school I ever went to, so up untill 11th grade kids picked on me just to get to her. Even at college she was also a teacher there, but by then people didn't care.

Oh shit, that's like mafia style right there!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I loved that about college. One of the only bullies I saw was in my freshman year, in one of my first classes, and his only attempt to push someone else around got all kinds of awkward glances from everyone around him. He was still in the high school mentality, but the rest of the class couldn't care less. That really shut him up quick.

PeterAndCompany on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hahah! I remember that in my first year of college I was joining my first study group at the Student Center. Everyone went to Burger King and sat down at the same table, suddenly, this kid takes everyones fries and makes a giant french fry mountain. Everyone gave him a very cold look, he was like:

"What? When I go out with my friends this is what we do! We share!"
    "We aren't your friends, those were mine, I bought them", some guy said.
    He writes on a pretend note on a notebook that he pulls out of his pocket
    "Well, now I know that you guys don't share..."

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think I have ever encountered a bully. I didn't even know they were real.

rts on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Seriously?

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Seriously?

Now it makes me wonder how many of the people he's drawn pictures of were actually trying to take his lunch money.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well. Today has certainly been a sobering day so far. *deep breaths*

So yes, on a different subject. Anyone else planning to see Paranormal Activity 2 tonight?

PeterAndCompany on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    There was a gang of douchebags in my elementary school. They used to make fun of/threaten the french immersion students. Animosity towards French Canadians was particularly strong at the time and I'm sure these little idiots were just getting their hatred of "the French" from their idiot parents.

It used to drive me crazy because they always managed to outnumber us whenever there was any sort of clash between the two groups. If there were 3 of us, there were 6 of them. 6 of us? 10 of them. I was smart enough to understand that the odds were not in our favor and so would end up backing down and walking away.

Finally I got tired of always looking over my shoulder so the next time they started something I waited for one of them to make the first move and just unloaded on the guy. It ended with me sitting on his chest, punching him in the face over and over until one of his friends pulled me off.

That was basically the end of the bullying/threats.

DMAC on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Badass.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have always tried to show restraint and talk myself out of situations but it sure feels good to throw a punch at someone who truly deserves it once in a while.

DMAC on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know. I mean we had douchebags when I was growing up but I don't know if I would call them bullies. I mean there was nobody beating people up to steal their lunch money. But I went to very large schools, so maybe that had something to do with it?

rts on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got bullied pretty bad when I switched elementary schools the third time. By the time I got to highschool, I got tired of it and did that whole thing where when you get to prison you beat up the biggest, toughest looking guy. Except. Y'know. I didn't actually even get to touch him. He'd been seriously creeping threateningly on my friend who wanted none of that shit, so I went at him with a bottle and the legend goes that about ten people had to hold me back. (I have no idea what the fuck I would have actually done if people hadn't held me back like I thought they would)

This reputation carried me throughout high school and still to this day when I talk to people I knew from school they say they were terrified of me and thought of me as being this huge scary bully. There is a particularly hilarious story of me picking up a younger girl and slamming her into a drainpipe or something, apparently spraining her arm. I can't even lift my 4'11 friend and I only heard this story a year out of highschool. I can't kick a soccer ball more than four feet and have difficulty opening jars. I am the biggest wuss.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »
    I can't even lift my 4'11 friend and I only heard this story a year out of highschool. I can't kick a soccer ball more than four feet and have difficulty opening jars. I am the biggest wuss.

this just makes me want to hug you.

and hear your spine crack.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My brother's bully in Elementary school pushed a girl to the ground and broke her wrist. He was mean.

I didn't have a bully. Mainly because I was about 6 inches to a foot taller than everyone else in my grade. Then came homeschool.

EDIT: Oh, TOTP. Recap: bully discussion.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I only ever had to worry about physical bullying when I lived in a pretty poor town during the first few years of elementary school. One of the kids there was particularly frustrated, and him and his friends tried to beat me up in a "circle of death" deal once, but I just kind of... walked out of it.

Man I have never had to punch any body. My knuckles are so tender and weak.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't remember there being much physical bullying at my school, but I might have missed it. I was pretty oblivious.

there were a couple of memorable fights, though.

Also on the advice of this thread I bought autodesk and I basically wet myself. I finally have something to ink with!

edit
    love_lines.jpg

tynic on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is my only experience with being a bully.
    Paradise wrote: »
    My earliest memory is from my third birthday in Mississippi. We were playing outside at daycare, and all of a sudden I wanted to ride on the tricycle. Some other kid was playing with it, so I yelled at him as I tore it from his grip and pushed him out of the way.

The tricycle was green and there were beautiful trees all around the playground; his facial expression combined terror and anguish.

Even though I was only three years old, I still feel bad about this; sometimes I wish I could apologize to that kid. I just don't understand how someone can be a remorseless offender of basic human rights. It's simple: don't dehumanize anyone, and don't hurt anyone if they're not hurting anyone. Unfortunately, when dehumanization and violence are traditions of a culture, that's when it's hard for someone on the inside to see when what they're doing is wrong.

But in reality, everything is much more complicated than we think, and our morals might just all be made up anyway. Or at least they might be instincts that are twisted and misdirected by history and society.

edit: relevant (hehehe)

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Paradise wrote: »
    edit: relevant (hehehe)

I thought it was going to come back to him punching the old lady, but that ending was just as good too.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tynic wrote: »
    I don't remember there being much physical bullying at my school, but I might have missed it. I was pretty oblivious.

This was me.

I only ever knew like 3 sort of bullies and they weren't really more then bratty and 2 them became pseudo friends because I was apparently unbullyable since I didn't react to it.

Chromatomic on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ever wondered what would happen if El Lissitsky made a video game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyxfN1UiRZg

Flay on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Flay wrote: »
    Ever wondered what would happen if El Lissitsky made a video game?
    No
    yeah it looks gorgeous
    edit: notice my thread? Critique please. I want to wake up feeling like an untalented piece of shit so I'm all ready to prove I'm not.

m3nace on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh and re: bullies, yeah I was bullied during primary school. Thankfully I was a pretty big kid, so there wasn't much physical bullying, but there was this one really fat guy who liked to pick on me, and would always get pretty much let off by my teacher (it was said it was because he was 1/8th Aboriginal, but I don't know how much of that is true and how much is ingrained racism). Basically the problem was solved when I figured out that even though he was stronger than myself, he was slow. Once I made an improvised whip out of my jumper (sweater) to keep him at bay during lunchtime I was pretty much safe except for surprise attacks.

And I have also been the bully, although thankfully there's only one example I can remember. There was a mentally disabled kid at my school, and one time when the older kids were picking on him I decided to join in (I suppose because I wanted to be 'cool', which at the time I assuredly was not). It ended up with me with a bloody nose after he punched me in the face, and frankly, I think I got what I deserved. It's still probably one of my biggest regrets.

Flay on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm appalled that many of you have had such bad experiences with bullying.
    Speaking personally, bullying can be both entertaining and profitable.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    D-Robe wrote: »
    I'm appalled that many of you have had such bad experiences with bullying.
    Speaking personally, bullying can be both entertaining and profitable.

For me it was. I was the perfect bully-bait. I was shorter, skinnier, and paler than the other kids. Unfortunately I also threw a much meaner right hook. One year three kids got to come to school with their left eye swollen shut.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Once I moved away from maryland bullying stopped. No one really gave a shit that I was black in a 90% white school in North Carolina, But fucking everyone cares in a school thats a mixing pot and has a noticeable achievement gap. Suddenly then you're an Oreo for writing well and doing homework. I was also considered a tom boy. Neither helped me not get picked on, but my drawings were cool enough to give me some credit.

Middle school sucked and I hated almost every minute of it. But, I was only ever in a fight once.

Iruka on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I still wonder what it would have been like to go to middle school instead of 1-7 & 8-12.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I dont know anyone who went to a normal middle school and liked it. You probably saved yourself some agnoy. I dont know why but that 7-8th grade period is a time when kids are super shitty to each other. I would assume having older kids around would make it seem less isolated and hopeless.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We had 1-6/7-9/10-12. I later went back to my junior high (7-9) to job shadow my former art teacher and it was like being in an asylum crossed with a zoo.

DMAC on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Middle school was pretty terrible, but Oreos are delicious.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
This discussion has been closed.