As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mc.net's back, I turned verification back on after a quick restart so everything works now!

Ein on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kapoho wrote: »
    Of course, this is some sort of sick joke isnt it?! o_O

You are telling me... I can't even play with my spaceship :(

halkun on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As soon as I join I get the long garble-dee-gook message about connection reset. Then when I try to reconnect it says "connection refused". Am I breaking the server or is the server breaking me?

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kapoho wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Two things:

- Can I get in on this Colrapture action?
    - Singleplayer seems fine, but Multi on another server crashes after about 1-2 min. Any ideas on how to fix it?

try limiting framerate on and render distance tiny. this client does have to be restarted regularly, still pretty alpha

I set it to Normal and it seems ok now. Minus the whole consuming my life part.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ok, I have a server up with the ship in it. I have a backup so feel free to explore
    http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?server=f31791de173c977593002a7cd6f25fe3

halkun on
  • Options
    kapohokapoho Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    Mc.net's back, I turned verification back on after a quick restart so everything works now!

This map REEKS of AWSOME!!

You are some kind of sorcerer ein!

kapoho on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apparently my username is taken. Fuck that.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm gonna keep the server up while I sleep. Pee all over it if you want. It's backup data. if it crashes, it crashes...

halkun on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well while the server is busy crashing I am stopping to say I found the near perfect location determined by fate for New Black Mesa. I start building in the first cliffside I see then get to the top and see a waterfall on a nearby mountain. Pack up shop and go over there and there's a fucking obsidian shelf already looking at me.

So I found a home, start digging some stuff out, and find that the obsidian shelf extends into still lava further into the cliff face which I can easily flood out into furthering it. Oh so glorious. New Black Mesa is going to be fantastic.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Server stability seems to be good now, and we've gotten the kinks out. Backups set to every 2 hours to try and mitigate lag. Post if you have any problems, but other than that, I think things are self-explanatory. Updated the 2nd post of the thread, and put a rules board by /home.

Ein on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Work is progressing on the next Underdark! Most of the basic work I wanted done is in by now, and me and carb0nfire took a stroll for the first time since I started proper work on the server, and exploring that place (which is frightening and bewildering even with no monsters) is pretty incredible. I took a few screenshots:

The Uberdark Lake
    UDlake.png

The current version of the new Undercore
    UDundercore.png

Random view of the wild underdark (unmodified area)
    UDcave.png

Vic on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The title of the thread reminded me of the saying from Reign of Fire.

"Dig hard, dig deep. Keep one eye on the sky."

If he adds dragons that fly... oh my. :mrgreen:

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Surely that wasn't all done by hand, was it?

Hal, your starship enterprise video is now the subject of one out of every two or three #minecraft tweets on twitter. Seriously. Notch is going to have to start paying you commission, soon.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    halkun wrote: »
    Ok, I have a server up with the ship in it. I have a backup so feel free to explore

My god, the thing is much more immense in person!

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I'm curious: if Notch were to completely reveal how his level generator code works, so you know why every interesting feature you see is put there, would the game become less fun?

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not really. Terrain generation is pretty simple these days. I'm sure it's some perlin (or however you spell it) noise generator.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's certainly perlin noise for the basic, top, top terrain, but the rest of it is a hell of a lot more complex than that. The caves especially are incredibly impressive.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's kind of embarrassing, the ship isn't even done yet. I've been told, though that it's actually cooler to see it as a framework than if I would of skinned it.

The import of the ship was done with a computer, the decks are converted deck plans. That's not to say it wasn't work to convert everything over.

That is not a converted 3D model. It's pencil and paper deck plans layered and converted to Minecraft's map format.

I didn't know this would be viral. I would of elaborated how I did it in my video.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Holy Shit, Lavar Burton just make a remark about the ship...

halkun on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, I really, really want that thing finished so I can go walk inside it.

Glal on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy Shit, Lavar Burton just make a remark about the ship...

How do you know it's actually him?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Confirmed Twitter account, I assume.

Glal on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Halkun, you are now a major name in the geek community. Can I haz ur autograph?

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have just explored part of the new underdark, there is no escape...the light will never be found

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    edited September 2010

That is not a converted 3D model. It's pencil and paper deck plans layered and converted to Minecraft's map format.

You sure about making your statement like that?

I mean, I think it's cool what you've done, but I see your statement as a little bit disingenuous:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=92098

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=996192&site_id=1#import

Protip, since you're going to have to deal with this a lot soon: Take LESS credit than you think you should. Disclose everything, and be clear about what you've done, because otherwise you will get a ton of backlash. And people ALREADY think you did all of this by hand, block-by-block.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why do you see his statement as disingenuous? Nothing in your links makes it clear why paper couldn't have been involved in the process.

(You found those links but you couldn't find this one?)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My little brother burst in to the room, "HEY HAVE YOU SEEN THE MINECRAFT ENTERPRISE YET!?"

"Oh you mean Halkun's?"

"you know that guy?"

"Yeah, he's a forumer, fool"

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Falx on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also if anyone has spare glass the entry tunnel of Rapture could use some work. Someone plugged holes with cobblestone and I didn't have any glass one me at the time.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Falx wrote: »

in was in a #minecraft mention via a 3rd party

I also edited my video to tell people to read the description. I'm trying to be on the up and up here.

halkun on
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just discovered that I could potentially build a castle out of ice...

There just isn't enough time in the world for this game... lol

Estilo on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fucking fuck. New project is coming along smashingly, a shame I have to take off in a few minutes. New Black Mesa is going to be amazing. A home for those who defy the elements. It would be further along but the spot I got is so perfect I had to spend a bunch of time harvesting obsidian that I didn't even plan on having. Had to fight the water physics a bit as my water source was literally 1 square away from being worthless, but I made it work. Good times.

New map is awesome. So much potential. Lavaland for life.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    Okay. That took longer than I expected, but that was because I downloaded it and closed the FTP thing on the server and it cleaned up after itself and deleted the map off the server's temp folder, so I had to do it twice. -_-

I expect some lag as this sorts itself out, but the server is up. I've lowered the player cap to 20 for now to deal with the new map. I'm also not going to run the backup utility for a bit.

There are NO WARPS yet. I have to set them back up once we get everything running.

This will hopefully be useful:

newworldmap.jpg

I hope this works as well as I picture in my head. Because I've sunk most of today's free time into it.

Just want to point out that this is rotated 90 counterclockwise.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is there a wall around that?

Also, there should be a project to make it look more natural

halkun on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh god i really want him to get biomes working. It would be so awesome if maps actually had regions like ein's one. Also weather systems would rock. He needs to stop slacking and start working 30 hour days ffs!

Lly on
  • Options
    TibberlyTibberly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Started an across-and-down shaft just east of the Ember warp point.

At the bottom it opens into a cave with at least two lava pools, plenty of water, redstone and diamond.

Until Ember is up and running, feel free to come exploit this wondrous natural resource!

Tibberly on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay so I just went to my farm house under Columbia. It was night. I stared walking away from my house and Columbia. I got to a point where I could no longer see my house or Columbia and I was still surrounded by flat land.

I might die while farming this. I just want to let all of you know.

Halkun. The gray square around Columbia? Those are actually mountains. They aren't to bad looking when you get up to them. I don't think we'll have to worry about them. That picture doesn't show how freaking huge that field is.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Idoliside wrote: »

My god, the thing is much more immense in person!

It's not working for me :(

Tamin on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The thing that kills me about this game is how you can't walk away.

Last night I had some freetime so i hop on to work on my water elevator and everytime I want to get up to do something else I just keep saying to myself, just finish this thing then you can get up. Next thing I know its 12 at night and I have a mineshaft/staircase down into the bedrock.

How did I go from just wanting to finish an elevator to a damn mining operation?

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
This discussion has been closed.