As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Armageddon Death Squad

• MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Slayer and Pantera comment was in jest, but to be honest, I care for jazz in general about as much as I care for Pantera.

Now if we want to take about Alban Berg, I'm down.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • WalriWalri Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Slayer and Pantera comment was in jest, but to be honest, I care for jazz in general about as much as I care for Pantera.

Now if we want to take about Alban Berg, I'm down.

I haven't checked out Berg at length yet (or much 20th c. concert music in general) - care to make a recommendation?

hanskey wrote: »

Edit:
    Walri wrote: »
    I can ask my drummer for more examples - he was a big black and death metal guy in high school so he's up on this stuff.
    Please do. I'm actually quite curious.

Do you think there is an unexplored space for improvisation within metal?

Obviously it would be ridiculously hard to play, though no harder than jazz, but do you think there is a structural issue that makes metal incompatible with improvisation, or is it just a matter of common practice and convenience?

Well it's not as though it's never been done - it's just not a main feature of the music. There are also jam bands that have taken influences from metal such as the Ozric Tentacles.

Jazz does have many stylistic characteristics (and a broad base of standard repertoire) that allow for endless harmonic, rhythmic and melodic exploration in a way that not all genres do. The style is not so much the issue though. I think that the "ethos" of jazz is fundamentally different from that of any form of rock music. There's much more emphasis on individual musicians in jazz, for starters. Jazz is essentially meant to be heard live because it is supposed to be different every time. It involves a great deal of risk. Originality in metal is often achieved by fusing multiple styles together in a clearly discernable way. There is an aspect of that in jazz, but for the individual musician originality is achieved not through conscious planning but through an organic relationship with the music and with one's instrument that is developed over a lifetime.

I must say that I enjoy music that was recorded mostly "live" rather than track-by-track. Even when it is completely written out, the music has a great deal more life to it as what you hear is what the performers played, reacting to the moment and to each other in a way that can't be repeated or "fixed." The tendency in most music in pop culture today, very much including metal, is for a recording to be something that is pieced together after its separate parts are created, which tends to drain music of spontaneity and ESPECIALLY groove. I would listen to metal a LOT more if more of it grooved. (BTW, the song "Cult of Personality" by Living Color" is a great example of metal that grooves.) It's even better if a song is recorded in only one or two takes. Some of the greatest jazz musicians go into the studio and record amazing albums using only one take per song. That's a serious test of musicianship and it results in an album that sounds totally alive and fresh, but it requires the musician to give up control of the results and surrender to the process. The preparation occurs beforehand. In metal, the emphasis is almost always on the final product without too much regard for the process involved. I could see someone providing counter-examples for these, of course, but I think they are generally accurate.

Walri on
    Truly Grim and Frost-Bitten Cooking Thread
    Walri: I made a sandwich and lemonade today, they were both disgusting. I don't know how I do it, I need my mom to get back from vacation so I can make her prepare my food.
    Iconslaughter: That was probably the most metal thing you've ever said.
  • WalriWalri Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    walri that wall of text was so metal! wooo \m/

I am the John Coltrane of Internet discussions.

Y'know... "Sheets of sound"... never mind.

Walri on
    Truly Grim and Frost-Bitten Cooking Thread
    Walri: I made a sandwich and lemonade today, they were both disgusting. I don't know how I do it, I need my mom to get back from vacation so I can make her prepare my food.
    Iconslaughter: That was probably the most metal thing you've ever said.
  • CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ride the walrus, bro

Still stands that black metal was mostly started by middle class suburban teenagers bored in the frosty lands of Norway.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey Walri

We got some serious Old Guard activity on this page. Just need Fallout and META.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Do you think there is an unexplored space for improvisation within metal?

Obviously it would be ridiculously hard to play, though no harder than jazz, but do you think there is a structural issue that makes metal incompatible with improvisation, or is it just a matter of common practice and convenience?

Improv already happens to some extent in metal. I can think of a few guitarists who improvise their solos in the studio without any real preparation (Brent Hinds of Mastodon, for example).

As for the live side of things, I think the best place for real jazz-like improv sessions would be in more proggy bands, like Dream Theater maybe? A lot of soloists in general tend to go away from the studio versions of their solos and come up with something completely different. I remember when I saw Maiden, Dave Murray took this one note of the "Number of the Beast" solo and just sent it into the stratosphere, and held it there for a solid 4 bars at least. Totally unexpected and not what the actual record features. It was a total "holy shit how long is he gonna hold that note for" moment and the rest of the band just kept chugging behind him, it was great.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Back on the subject of metal, the new Thurisaz is 'meh'.

Put a bunch of reviews up, some good stuff like the re-recording of the Locus Mortis debut, and a nice ambient demo I received called Til Det Bergens Skygenne.

I hope to have Florida wrapped up by Tuesday.

autothrall on
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    florida.gif

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sad to hear about the new Thurisaz. Been a while since I've had a new melodeath album but I'm not exactly craving one either.

Thinking I should give this year's new Joyless another listen to see how it turns out.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I'm really craving new good power, doom, thrash, and heavy metal. I was really counting on the new UDO...damn!

BTW, does anyone besides auto and I think that the new Anvil is fucking awesome, because it rules my mind! You will definitely enjoy it GreasyKidsStuff if you don't already have it!

hanskey on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The only Anvil I've heard is Metal On Metal. I thought it was pretty good, but most of the lyrics were pretty bad.

MORE IMPORTANTLY:

vader1.jpg

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited June 2011
    Hail SATAN!!

Less importantly, definitely give Juggernaut Of Justice a shot:

"Juggernaut Of Justice" -

My soul's a fire that you can't put out
    Avalanche of power
    Flowing like a river of endless might
    My hunger will devour

Tidal wave of perpetual force that will never die
    Driving force with no remorse the falling of the sky
    Hurricane out of control you know I'm coming your way
    The aggression in my blood living for today

Juggernaut of justice is what we want to be
    Juggernaut of justice the truth will set you free

My desire is an endless void
    Never to be filled
    Eternal hunger that never dies
    And never to be killed

Landslide of intensity never going to stop
    Loving power will devour all the way to the top
    Hurricane out of control coming your way
    The aggression in my soul blowing you all away

Juggernaut of justice is what we want to be
    Juggernaut of justice the truth will set you free

Juggernaut of justice
    Juggernaut of justice
    Juggernaut of justice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEZICHQ-4LM

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    Juggernaut Of Justice is pretty damn good, but I also want more!!! Like a phenomenal King Diamond, or a great Blind Guardian

OR

Vainglory could put out a third album!!

Edit: Got a little greedy there \m/ :twisted: \m/

hanskey on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was just rushing here to post that Metallica news. On the one hand I am excited for any kind of new music from those guys, especially under these unique circumstances. On the other hand, I have no idea what to expect, having little familiarity with Lou Reed in any real capacity.

We'll see I suppose!

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited June 2011
    Fucking. Shit.

Maybe we will get a new Vainglory in 2011!?!?!?!?

They released a single off the new album, which they appear to have finished, though they are not giving a release date I can find...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCdYCqWehWE

Edit: This certainly gets me interested:
    French previously stated about "Manifesting Destiny", "It is KICK-ASS!! No fancy frills, no guest appearances, no pricey names backin' us up, no name-droppin' or regurgitated, fake, money-making BULLSHIT, but if you wanna hear US do what we do, with no sugar-coating, THE REAL DEAL... that is what your gonna get and it is IN-YOUR-FACE, total groove-oriented HEAVY METAL!!!"

She added, "This CD, it's much different than anything I've done vocally. I wanted to show every kind of metal vocal style I can do, and I can do it ALL. From death to screamo to the Halford highs, to sissy L.A. girl fairy princess (I don't do that on this, though), but it is still me. Don't be too shocked, I think you'll like it. Not too much, but just enough of everything."

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    More from Rolling Stone on the Metallica/Reed album
    The record, not yet titled, features 10 songs composed by Reed with significant arrangement contributions by the band that suggest a raging union of his 1973 noir classic, Berlin, and Metallica's '86 crusher, Master of Puppets.

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited June 2011
    I hope that Rolling Stone is not simply being hyperbolic, and not overly optimistic.

I want to believe, but I don't like the bitter taste of disappointment.

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah. Not sure. I don't think it's supposed to be their next full-length. More of a side thing. So I'm willing to reserve harsh judgement if it's awful :P

"Juggernaut of Justice" is pretty rad by the way

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited June 2011
    Hey Futt! Have you found a release date for the new Vader, Welcome To The Morbid Reich?

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah. Not sure. I don't think it's supposed to be their next full-length. More of a side thing. So I'm willing to reserve harsh judgement if it's awful :P
    Hear, hear!!
    "Juggernaut of Justice" is pretty rad by the way

Best Heavy Metal so far this year!

The album is that good or better the whole way through! Full on POWER, and addictive hooking grooves. I got it right after I saw the review, and I'm still listening to it regularly.

Edit:
    OK, so we got the Doom actually, because Doomsword threw down another fucking epically fantastic album. I now see that I must immediately listen to it because it did not imediately come to mind. That said, give me MOAR!!

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    autothrall wrote: »
    That new Vader cover art is bad ass. I can't wait! August 12th!

A new Vader album is always a day one purcahse.

Talk about a band that never disappoints...

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited June 2011
    That new Vader cover art is bad ass. I can't wait! August 12th!

A new Vader album is always a day one purcahse.

Talk about a band that never disappoints...

Fucking. Absolutely.

hanskey on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I didn't even know there was a new Vader coming out. Today just got a whole lot better. I just need to vanquish this hangover and it will get even better.

Sadly, even though I once again have a stable computer and internet connection, I lost the reviews I had been working on for FtDR. Now that I have a new hard drive, though, I will start working on those and get them posted. I know a few of you wanted some sludge/post-metal ish recommendations, and I'm writing reviews for a couple of albums that anyone who is in to that sort of thing will probably dig.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    That would be awesome - sorry to hear about your computer issues!

hanskey on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fucking. Shit.

Maybe we will get a new Vainglory in 2011!?!?!?!?

They released a single off the new album, which they appear to have finished, though they are not giving a release date I can find...

This song's rather lacking in the riff department but I still like it, hopefully it winds up being good because I still bust out the 2007 album every once in a while.

Mgcw on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Review time.

Feu%2BGregeois%2B-%2BMortis%2BRegnum%2B%25282010%2529.jpg

Feu Grégeois - Mortis Regnum

Do you enjoy classical music, atmospheric interludes and death metal? Enjoy Fleshgod Apolcalypse, but want more groove and less technicality? This might be up your alley. French band who have the above pictured album that is apparently causing a stir. Reminds me of Vader sometimes. Throw in some Black Metal screeching. Has a very wall-of-sound production value to it. I could some people on here digging it. Whatever.

Interminable%20Night%20CD.jpg

Acephalix - Interminable Light

Alright, these crusters from San Francisco put out a full-length all Aphoria a year or so ago that was really quite good. This new album is an evolution of merging crust-punk, death metal and some hardcore into a nice mix that pays homage to OSDM, i.e. BUZZ SAW GUITARS, RIGHT AMOUNT OF PRODUCTION, etc. They actually remind me of Grave quite a bit, but with some hardcore drumming and just an overall catchiness to them. I recommend this one. They also have three members in the band Vastum - auto reviewed their album already. This album is miles ahead of that one.

71095723.jpg

Steeleye Span - Below The Salt

English folk album from a seminal band that is still active. This album came out in 1972, their fourth, and it is absolutely fantastic. If you like English folk music, you already know this band and, hopefully, own this album. The album has a song about a ghost that haunts a king and then forces him to marry her after ordering him to kill and feed her all his prized animals. Right on.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Depressive Age grows on me every time I listen to an album, I loved First Depression from the first time I heard it and the other ones I wasn't so into, but they grow and grow.

Mgcw on
    edited June 2011
    Review time.

Feu%2BGregeois%2B-%2BMortis%2BRegnum%2B%25282010%2529.jpg

Feu Grégeois - Mortis Regnum

Do you enjoy classical music, atmospheric interludes and death metal? Enjoy Fleshgod Apolcalypse, but want more groove and less technicality? This might be up your alley. French band who have the above pictured album that is apparently causing a stir. Reminds me of Vader sometimes. Throw in some Black Metal screeching. Has a very wall-of-sound production value to it. I could some people on here digging it. Whatever.

Interminable%20Night%20CD.jpg

Acephalix - Interminable Light

Alright, these crusters from San Francisco put out a full-length all Aphoria a year or so ago that was really quite good. This new album is an evolution of merging crust-punk, death metal and some hardcore into a nice mix that pays homage to OSDM, i.e. BUZZ SAW GUITARS, RIGHT AMOUNT OF PRODUCTION, etc. They actually remind me of Grave quite a bit, but with some hardcore drumming and just an overall catchiness to them. I recommend this one. They also have three members in the band Vastum - auto reviewed their album already. This album is miles ahead of that one.

71095723.jpg

Steeleye Span - Below The Salt

English folk album from a seminal band that is still active. This album came out in 1972, their fourth, and it is absolutely fantastic. If you like English folk music, you already know this band and, hopefully, own this album. The album has a song about a ghost that haunts a king and then forces him to marry her after ordering him to kill and feed her all his prized animals. Right on.
    WTF? Since when do you give a shit enough to pen a review?

Also, at least one of these bands is totally FALSE!!!!!!!

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    I don't think he was entirely serious about the false thing.

Actually, I like that Morg has brought the old last.fm format we used to use with the mini-reviews here. Kinda nice. Maybe people could continue to roll out these minis.

I drew a blank on having reviewed Vastum though.

autothrall on
    edited June 2011

Actually, I like that Morg has brought the old last.fm format we used to use with the mini-reviews here. Kinda nice. Maybe people could continue to roll out these minis.

I think I'm confusing you with Noktorn's review on his Trial By Ordeal blog.

Morgenstern on
    edited June 2011

I was just ruthlessly fucking with him in his own personal idiom. Thanks for ruining the joke, though!! :)

I totally agree that the mini reviews are great!

In all seriousness, Morg you rule and that was a kick ass post!

hanskey on
    edited June 2011

I was just ruthlessly fucking with him in his own personal idiom. Thanks for ruining the joke, though!! :)

Haha. I don't listen to a lot of newer stuff, but I usually sniff out some good things. When it comes to trve kvlt shit I am pretty picky. Lately I've been listening to a lot of the Swedish BM that came out in the mid-90s. Bear in mind that my favourite metal albums of all time belong to Bathory and Nuclear Assault.

Morgenstern on
    edited June 2011

Haha. I don't listen to a lot of newer stuff, but I usually sniff out some good things. When it comes to trve kvlt shit I am pretty picky. Lately I've been listening to a lot of the Swedish BM that came out in the mid-90s. Bear in mind that my favourite metal albums of all time belong to Bathory and Nuclear Assault.
    I have yet to definitely disagree with you on any specific band, etc, and once I realized that mostly you were just fucking with people I thought "dammit that seems fun, I should join in!"

OOC what is your favorite album?

hanskey on
    edited June 2011

I have yet to definitely disagree with you on any specific band, etc, and once I realized that mostly you were just fucking with people I thought "dammit that seems fun, I should join in!"

OOC what is your favorite album?

Bathory+-+Under+The+Sign+Of+The+Black+Mark+(1986).jpg

Morgenstern on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ctts-atru.jpg

because I'm a false

Tav on
    edited June 2011
    From Mastodon's Facebook:
    Mastodon are hard at work finishing up their new album, officially called “The Hunter”, and they can announce four track names now as well. They are: Blasteroids, The Octopus Has No Friends, Stargasm and Curl Of The Burl.

There's also "All The Heavy Lifting" mentioned a while ago. Not sure if they're going down the concept album path this time, who knows. Looking forward to hearing it though. I'm thinking with titles like "Blasteroids" it'll be a step above Crack the Skye in terms of heaviness.

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited June 2011
    Man, a new Mastodon too. I'm excited. Lots of good stuff yet to come this year. I feel like a little kid again, and every month is a metal Christmas.

Hoping for a 10/10.

autothrall on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm thinking that the concept this time around is a lot of mescaline and weed.

Liquid Ghost on
This discussion has been closed.