As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

42'' Plasma HDTV as s monitor?

KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
After a long chain of passing down TVs, it looks like I will be getting a Samsung 42'' Plasma HDTV. Its the TV that the family has had in the living room for the past 2 years or so and everyone for some reason thought it was an LCD tv. So originally I had planned to get it if it was replaced and use it as my main TV/computer monitor. It being plasma obviously changes that.

From what I can tell people from on using Plasma TV's as monitors due to image retention and image burning. Does that continue to be just as big of a problem after longer use or does the risk of that go down with more use? Can that be countered with something like a really bright white screen to more or less image burn it back to neutral? I'd really like to be able to use it as a monitor if possible so looking at my options here.

KurnDerak on

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How old/what model is it?

It should have some anti-retention features within it's menus, like picture shift, a screensaver (in case you accidentally leave it on a static image), rolling bars (to fix retained images), and things like that.

If you're running a Windows OS, you might want to think about using a dock instead of a taskbar.

SmokeStacks on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Model number PN42A450P1D, it's about 2 years old.

I'm currently running windows 7 64-bit, I would be using a second monitor which would be a 28'' HANNS-G where I usually do basic browsing and such, and the taskbar is usually on the second screen so that I can easily get to it while playing games. The TV itself would be used mostly for video games and movies.

Edit: Downloaded the manuel, it has Pixel Shift, White, Scrolling and Side Gray for screen burn prevention and after-image removal.

While under light use I most likely wouldn't be worried, but my monitors tend to get a lot of heavy use (4-12 hours a day).

KurnDerak on