Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

This is the spider thread, no there can't be baby spiders in it thats an urban legend

1235»

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Macera wrote: »
    where I live, crane flies are called mosquito eaters, though they don't actually eat mosquitoes

I always thought it was because their larvae ate mosquito larvae, so I googled it.

Nope.

Turns out they're fucking worthless, unless you hate nectar. Or grass.

Dragonflies though. That's a pretty cool fly. They eat the fuck out of mosquitos.

Automata-Sg.png
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Toldo wrote: »
    Hello.

I suffer from arachnophobia, as probably every other poster in this thread. This is mostly because of the barn funnel weaver, which terrorized my basement and childhood. According to that Wikipedia entry, the males retreat into houses during the fall and wander around, generally scaring the hell out of me.

I would flip the fuck out if I say that spider. I only see tiny spiders like the size of a quarter, and I still kill them.

hLeTR.png
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    but maggots are beneficial to the healing process

Not the flesh-eating ones.

no, definitely the flesh-eating ones

we just use the ones that don't eat the flesh that isn't decomposing

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    but maggots are beneficial to the healing process

Not the flesh-eating ones.

no, definitely the flesh-eating ones

we just use the ones that don't eat the flesh that isn't decomposing

Not the jerk ones then, whatever.

Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • MaceraMacera Registered User
    edited October 2010
    20080123tceiselesnowfly.jpg

Some flies don't

xet8c.gif
  • Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok first bug in the thread where I have absolutely zero clue what it it.

I am a shamed armchair entomologist.

Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • MaceraMacera Registered User
    edited October 2010
    It's a snowfly
    Adults seem to actively seek out the coldest place they can find and drink water by pressing their proboscis against the snow (Marchand, 1917), but are not known to feed. Adult snow flies live for up to two months. They can walk at a speed of about 1,30 m per minute, and at least males have been observed to leap, without being provoked (Schrock, 1992)

xet8c.gif
1235»