As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Android] Thread: The root of all roms - market.android.com now live

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I wonder if that's just for the T-Mo version, or for all Desire Z's.

HTC claims they didn't implement it, and that it has to be implemented in software since they didn't do it.

claims being a key word as usual.

For the very short term, temporary root is good enough for me (I want to make a quick modification of an app's data in /data). I rooted my G1, but that was mostly because it was running a fucking ancient version of Android, and I wanted to change the ROM. I'm less compelled to root my G2, for now (aside from the previous mentioned change).

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    End wrote: »

HTC claims they didn't implement it, and that it has to be implemented in software since they didn't do it.

For the very short term, temporary root is good enough for me (I want to make a quick modification of an app's data in /data). I rooted my G1, but that was mostly because it was running a fucking ancient version of Android, and I wanted to change the ROM. I'm less compelled to root my G2, for now (aside from the previous mentioned change).

Yeah, everything they've dug up on XDA points to it being something the bootloader does before it actually starts up the Android kernel. It having some backup "clean" version of /system would explain the lack of available space out of the 4GB the G2 was supposed to have. I don't doubt the guys at XDA will get this taken care of. They are a large and resourceful bunch.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just installed LauncherPro. Why didn't I do this earlier!?

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I also just installed it. It took me about a day to realize there was an entire "preferences" menu. Before that I was unimpressed. Now I don't think I'll be going back.

Question though: what (if anything) should be done with my old home screen? should I clear out all the apps/widgets, or do I not worry about it?

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Yeah, everything they've dug up on XDA points to it being something the bootloader does before it actually starts up the Android kernel. It having some backup "clean" version of /system would explain the lack of available space out of the 4GB the G2 was supposed to have. I don't doubt the guys at XDA will get this taken care of. They are a large and resourceful bunch.

And apparently the Desire version of the G2 (the Desire Z or whatever) only has 2GB of internal space. It's a mostly identical phone other than that and running Sense.

Well, that explains a lot, don't it.

End on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also, if you are having issue with your g2 turning off and not being able to turn back on again, the customer service rep is saying it's a battery issue. They're sending me a new battery free.

Langly on
  • Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Quick question regarding Droid X accessories:

Does anyone know of a decent quality handsfree stereo headset that is compatible with the droid? The Etymotic mc3 set that my wife uses with her iPhone doesn't do it, nor (unsurprisingly, I suppose) does the apple remote that I used with the touch that I carried in my benighted pre-android days. Ideally, I'd like something under $75, but I'd pay more if they're durable or an especially good value.

jamesra on
    "Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Guess what is finally released next week....
    thumb_550_angry-birds-update.PNG

:^:

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I doubt that there's not way to get around it. I mean, they must have built the device with the intent that it would recieve OTAs. Some one just has to figure out the process.

Evander on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Joe K wrote: »
    I am absolutely certain pandora can be streamed through bluetooth, because I've done it. Just checked google listen and that works too.

Doesn't look like you can do the voice search via mic, although it prompts me to enter voice input if I hit the call button on my bluetooth headset. I've never actually gone on to actually see if that works, since I've always hit that button on accident when I've been trying to skip a song instead.

I just tried Pandora through my bluetooth headset (that I've been making calls with all morning), and it went right to the onboard speaker. Was there something special that you did?

I looked into doing this kind of thing a few weeks ago. I'm led to believe that streaming to bluetooth only works if the bluetooth headset is an a2dp device.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The cool news is that once XDA does figure out how to permanently root and achieve NAND unlock, supposedly the G2 and Desire Z ROMs are interchangable, so the community will be able to easily swap between stock and sense builds by building on the work that HTC has already done.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The cool news is that once XDA does figure out how to permanently root and achieve NAND unlock, supposedly the G2 and Desire Z ROMs are interchangable, so the community will be able to easily swap between stock and sense builds by building on the work that HTC has already done.

There's a decent chance that them being interchangeable is the key to the whole thing.

I mean, isn't that how they got a useful recovery image for a different phone?

End on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aside from the weird reflash on reboot thing, the phone is relatively similar to the HTC Evo, which was rooted by finding a pre-release engineering ROM and modifying it to get S-Off. They'll probably do a similar thing to unlock the NAND on the G2 once they figure out how to get the changes to stick.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »
    I also just installed it. It took me about a day to realize there was an entire "preferences" menu. Before that I was unimpressed. Now I don't think I'll be going back.

Question though: what (if anything) should be done with my old home screen? should I clear out all the apps/widgets, or do I not worry about it?

I don't use Launcher but when I had it installed I checked the memory usage

and it did seem like widgets on my old home screen were still using battery power

so I'd take them off your old homescreen just to be safe

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    nexus you ever gonna give us a screengrab of your setup? I know you were talking all about customizing a few weeks back (or was that someone else?)

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    htc finally agreed to sending me a new unit

hooray

Evander on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Evander wrote: »

hooray

How tough were they to deal with? Im about to figure out who owes me a new Evo, or Evo screen.

Looking back on these threads its a huge bummer that my massive excitement has now turned into a hassle. For some very bizarre reason my Evo now almost constantly defaults to landscape mode, for no reason whatsoever. Whenever I wake it up, its in landscape. So thats annoying as hell.

But on top of that, the screen is just awful. The bottom is ALL bleached out now, and yesterday the final straw was when I started noticing white dots too. Ive read its damage from the phone overheating under the screen.

I emailed HTC and they kind of half ass alluded to the fact that it it would still be covered under the 1 year manufacturers warranty, and to either call them, or just take it to a Sprint store and have them repair it if they can. Im currently wondering which option will get me the best results. Any suggestions?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bah, Skype isn't available in Japan yet :(

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »

hooray

How tough were they to deal with? Im about to figure out who owes me a new Evo, or Evo screen.

Looking back on these threads its a huge bummer that my massive excitement has now turned into a hassle. For some very bizarre reason my Evo now almost constantly defaults to landscape mode, for no reason whatsoever. Whenever I wake it up, its in landscape. So thats annoying as hell.

But on top of that, the screen is just awful. The bottom is ALL bleached out now, and yesterday the final straw was when I started noticing white dots too. Ive read its damage from the phone overheating under the screen.

I emailed HTC and they kind of half ass alluded to the fact that it it would still be covered under the 1 year manufacturers warranty, and to either call them, or just take it to a Sprint store and have them repair it if they can. Im currently wondering which option will get me the best results. Any suggestions?

I always prefer to deal in-person. Telling a rep "hey, my phone's fucked up and I want it fixed" and then showing them said phone is simpler than trying to describe the issue over the phone and getting the runaround. I don't know if Sprint does this, but there's the possibility that they'll hand you a new phone to replace the messed up one before leaving.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I have an HTC Incredible and I noticed two very small scratches on the screen, they are hard to see but when the screen is black and I tilt the screen just right into the right light they are noticeable. That might sound a little paranoid but I thought these things were impossible to scratch?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Impossible is a pretty big word.

They are very very scratch-resistant, at best.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    not sure if htc incredible has gorilla glass either

Alegis on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    one day all touch screens will be made with graphene and the world will be perfect.

Langly on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    one day all touch screens will be made with graphene and the world will be perfect.

And by perfect you mean incredibly mechanically fragile right?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    For those who like voice recognition, Vlingo is making a truely hands free car mode. Currently in beta for Sprint customers. url=http://blog.vlingo.com/vlingo-incar/]Press Release[/url

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

The words "stronger than steel" makes you think of fragile?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't seem to make Skype call out on the free call. Is there a test number?

halkun on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    oh god if you want to get really ripped off

get a mobile phone contract in japan

i feel violated

Alegis on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Woo, finally have 2.2!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hey coke, what did I have to do again to get MMS/internet mail working on HTC Desire? (unlocked, non-softbank HTC Desire)

because as I understand my phone can't make the distinction between the softbank internet mail service and just general 3g mobile internet and if I would turn it on it would just rape the shit out of my subscription with data charges (instead of keeping to the standard 300 yen rate for only softbank mail)

Only getting my sim/phone tuesday though, but I tried with a docomo SIM at a docomo shop and calling worked fine with a docomo test SIM they had there.

Alegis on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

The words "stronger than steel" makes you think of fragile?

Like how I can't break spiderwebs with my hands?

(I'm a research Physicist. Graphene has wonderful electronic properties, but it's a monolayer of carbon, it is very fragile.)

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I have a G1, modded. CM6.0 RC3, 32M swap / 512M EXT4 / 1.5G storage, blah blah blah

So the new Firefox beta: Just came out right? I just installed it (had to jump some apps around to get space but whatever) and every time I launch it quiet closes within 5 seconds

Has anyone else here tried this app? Do you have a success story that you're willing to share? Did you have the same problem and found a workaround? Is my phone just incredibly dumb? Is this too many questions?

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sadly, you probably don't have enough memory to run Firefox on your G1. Their port of Firefox is a bit of a memory hog.

Edit: It takes up like 50M just to start up I think?

End on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sadly, you probably don't have enough memory to run Firefox on your G1. Their port of Firefox is a bit of a memory hog.

Ah, so it's just like on Windows?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So i've got a HTC Wildfire, and i want cool games for my phone. Now if the game is REALLY good i'm prepared to pay. I've noticed that Iphone gets a civilisation game. Is there something similar on the andriod marketplace?

Karl on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I figured as much. I think I tried everything - loaded everything to SD, stopped all nonessential processes, tried running Swap AND Compcache, no dice

Oh well I guess. Now at least I have a ton of space with which I will do nothing

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spudge wrote: »

I figured as much. I think I tried everything - loaded everything to SD, stopped all nonessential processes, tried running Swap AND Compcache, no dice

Oh well I guess. Now at least I have a ton of space with which I will do nothing

I've got a hero, which is almost the same processor - I don't think it's compiled/compatible with our CPU's.

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bullio wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »

hooray

I always prefer to deal in-person. Telling a rep "hey, my phone's fucked up and I want it fixed" and then showing them said phone is simpler than trying to describe the issue over the phone and getting the runaround. I don't know if Sprint does this, but there's the possibility that they'll hand you a new phone to replace the messed up one before leaving.

Deal with Sprint first, because that is proper channels, and fac to face.

HTS were incredibly pleasant to deal with, but it has been a six month saga because of playing phone-tag, and waiting for things to be shipped back and forth, and

Sprint, as awful as their customer service is, allows you to walk in to a store, and have your phone either fixed or repaired on the spot.

Also, as MX said, it is nice to be able to have an expert diagnose it. I work in a t-mobile store, so I know exactly what they want checked on the phone, and exactly which bug fixes they are going to suggest running, which makes phone calls insanely quick for me because I take care of all the troubleshooting before I even dial. Troubleshooting over the phone is a hassle, though, for all parties involved, so it is much easier on everyone, yourself included, to take the phone in to the store and let rep troubleshoot it for you.

Evander on
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The desire HD is due out next week, which is co-incidently when I'm due an upgrade.

I am a happy bunny.

I just hope it doesn't have any bullshit 'lockdown' features.

Deicist on