As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mouseguard RPG

UncleChetUncleChet N00bLancaster, PARegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Critical Failures
So, I finally got to play this this weekend. Does anyone know much about it? Do others have thoughts and interest in it? Could we pull off a PbP? Should I try to do my first ever thread topic (editing this one of course). It's a very interesting system, but we're not sure if we did several things right.

Mouseguard Wiki

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
UncleChet on

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's a very awesome setting, and making a character is easy enough with how they have it set up. not much room for confusion there, I think.

But it seems like some of the actual rules are a bit hard to follow, especially combat. I found myself rereading that section a few times and I'm still not sure I understand what you're supposed to do.

With an experienced, or flexible, GM to hash out funky problems like that it seems like a fine system. I've seen a game or two attempted here but most of them seem to die off pretty quick, if they can even get started at all.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've read the rulebook several times. It seems like a wonderful system, mostly. But there a few gears that I just can't seem to fit into place. I keep thinking that it will all make perfect sense if I can watch someone familiar with the system run a game, but I haven't had the opportunity. I'll try to look over it again to identify exactly where I was being stymied.

What was your play experience like?

Bhow on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Our play experience was a Lot of fun. We used the pregen characters, I was Liaem. I wanted my concept to be of a mouse who wanted nothing more than to be a mouseguard his whole life, so that was a perfect RP fit for me. We were Very confused on what rolls to make, and what skills to use and when, so we likely made mistakes. I also sort of dislike that it's geared for just 3 players and 1 GM, when I had 5 friends over that day. All in all, it was a positive experience, We had my friends wife as the MVP player, who really stuck to her characters motivations and goals, where as I was the workhorse for getting the most out of my rolls and really advancing things for the party (which really fit my characters goals).

All in all it was very enjoyable. We ran the mail delivery scenario from the book.

I will try to do an epic "first post" tonight when I get home.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    SquintsSquints Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You need a good group, I think. A lot of the game is based around RP, so if you have players that like to roll dice, you may not have as much of a good time.

Squints on