As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who's been nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I still think, from personal experience, that most anyone who is initially put off by Waits' voice can become acclimated to it if they try

I don't think a singer's voice is something I should have to become "acclimated" to

UnbreakableVow on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tom waits' voice is awesome.

i mean damn this song

http://vimeo.com/5532025

Langly on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I still think, from personal experience, that most anyone who is initially put off by Waits' voice can become acclimated to it if they try

I don't think a singer's voice is something I should have to become "acclimated" to

Yes, well
    You

Grey Ghost on
  • Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No Beastie Boys love??

Cornell002 on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Never been a tom waits kinda dude

then again he didn't record the smash hit 1983 song See You In Hell

So it was a losing battle to begin with

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Yes, well
    You

I don't see what's wrong with this logic

I can't understand someone repeatedly listening to the same singer hoping they'll just "click" and sound better just because everyone else thinks they sound great so there must be something to it, right?

Take Joanna Newsom

People love her, for some reason. I think she sounds like a mentally-retarded child. I'm not going to repeatedly abuse myself by listening to her songs just so I can one day have this epiphany and find the joy in her music that everyone else does, because I'd rather not enjoy a singer that sounds like a retarded child! I'd rather just, you know, not listen to it.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2010
    oh man I must be jacked up on painkillers

I am going to agree with UV again

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Maybe because the lyrics and the musicianship are so fucking phenomenal

But that's crazy talk so don't listen to me

Grey Ghost on
    edited October 2010
    Maybe because the lyrics and the musicianship are so fucking phenomenal

But that's crazy talk so don't listen to me

I don't have a problem with his lyrics or his musicianship

Just his voice

UnbreakableVow on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    anybody who likes tom waits cannot say a single fucking word about joanna newsom's voice

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
    edited October 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    anybody who likes tom waits cannot say a single fucking word about joanna newsom's voice

This I don't get

Just because I like a man who sings like a werewolf does not in any way mean I can't dislike a girl who sings like a developmentally-challenged toddler

There is no fucking bridge between these two sentiments

Grey Ghost on
    edited October 2010
    You can write a phenomenal song, gg

It doesn't mean you should be the one singing it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is the same sort of sentiment I have for Rush. I'm sure they're an extremely talented band and you're all totally justified in your love of them but I cannot stand Geddy Lee's voice.

Cilla Black on
    edited October 2010
    You can write a phenomenal song, gg

It doesn't mean you should be the one singing it

I get what you're saying but because I actually do like Tom Waits' voice this argument is probably going to go nowhere

Fast

Grey Ghost on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the thing is that she doesn't sound like that, especially if you listen to her for a while

same for tom waits, who stops sounding like a bear with a throat disease after you give him some time to grow on you

the lesson is that you shouldn't dismiss an artist's work solely because you think their voice is "weird". it can still be good!

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
    edited October 2010
    the thing is that she doesn't sound like that, especially if you listen to her for a while

same for tom waits, who stops sounding like a bear with a throat disease after you give him some time to grow on you

the lesson is that you shouldn't dismiss an artist's work solely because you think their voice is "weird". it can still be good!

I've tried to like Joanna Newsom but I just can't, man
    That voice is too much

It's great that you dig her but I can't do it

Grey Ghost on
    edited October 2010
    I am not even gonna argue

I do not take music seriously at all

It is not a thing I care enough about to argue for

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited October 2010

I've tried to like Joanna Newsom but I just can't, man
    That voice is too much

It's great that you dig her but I can't do it

no it's fine that you don't like her. opinions! they're great

it's just silly when somebody walks around going "man don't let tom waits' voice put you off he's really great" while also saying "joanna newsom is a terrible artist, she sounds dumb!"

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

This I don't get

Just because I like a man who sings like a werewolf does not in any way mean I can't dislike a girl who sings like a developmentally-challenged toddler

There is no fucking bridge between these two sentiments

I agree with you!

Although this argument is probably a silly one to have, even though clearly everyone should love Tom Waits, because Tom Waits is baller as fuck.

Sometimes you like something right off the bat, even if the appeal is hard for others to understand. Sometimes after a while (like, years - it took me years to appreciate Bob Dylan, I hated his voice when I was in middle school) you have an epiphany and find yourself really digging something you used to dislike. And sometimes the irritation factor is never going to decrease enough to let you appreciate the qualities behind what you find superficially irritating.

Diff'rent strokes

etc

etc

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited October 2010
    this can be expanded to any band or singer that deviates from the common line of "normal sounding"

personal opinions++

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been listening to a good amount of Dylan lately and I think that everyone should spend some time doing that

Centipede Damascus on
    edited October 2010
    all people should sing like either Glen Danzig or Rob Halford

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought of Sarah Vowell when I first heard Joanna Newsom sing
    I love Sarah Vowell and her voice

Tam on
    edited October 2010
    I've always heard that nobody likes Dylan at first

But that's not true at all

Listening to The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan in its entirety was the first I ever heard of him, and I adored it

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2010
    what if you woke up tomorrow and all the bands in the world turned to

wood

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been listening to a good amount of Dylan lately and I think that everyone should spend some time doing that

Naaahh

Here's a voice I adore that some people cannot stand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtA869eH21c

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited October 2010
    I'd probably kill myself

LS, do you like Wagner

Tam on
    edited October 2010
    I have never been able to appreciate Wagner as much as I should, actually. I like Tristan and Isolde aight, I suppose.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    edited October 2010
    oh
    well Siegfried's Funeral March leaves my jaw on the floor

anyway
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLFKKY5RHxc&feature=related

Tam on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    today on the classic rock radio station, they were lamenting how Rush and the Steve Miller Band were passed up for this or something
    I don't like Rush, but it's pretty obvious they deserved to be nominated more than LL Cool J.

I am ambivalent about Tom Waits, so I don't have anything to argue about here.

Coinage on
    edited October 2010
    Coinage wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    today on the classic rock radio station, they were lamenting how Rush and the Steve Miller Band were passed up for this or something
    I don't like Rush, but it's pretty obvious they deserved to be nominated more than LL Cool J.

gonna knock you out

mama said to

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is the same sort of sentiment I have for Rush. I'm sure they're an extremely talented band and you're all totally justified in your love of them but I cannot stand Geddy Lee's voice.

I feel this way about System of a Downs lead singer Serj Tankian.

His voice hurts my ears.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
    edited October 2010

Naaahh

Here's a voice I adore that some people cannot stand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtA869eH21c

Oh man
    I really dig this!

Grey Ghost on
    edited October 2010
    Have you listened to Silver Jews before? If you haven't, you should! They are pretty great! Stephen Malkmus is also pretty great.

Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea is their last album and baaaasically Party Barge is my life anthem.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i dont like joanna newsom but the idea that you shouldn't have to get to like a singer's voice is monumentally retarded

that's kind of how you broaden your musical horizons (couldn't think of a less stupid term there soz), but I guess that explains why UV is so awful

L|ama on
    edited October 2010
    that is completely and utterly wrong llama

you shouldn't have to sit there and make yourself like a singer's voice

it is okay to not like something

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Have you listened to Silver Jews before? If you haven't, you should! They are pretty great! Stephen Malkmus is also pretty great.

Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea is their last album and baaaasically Party Barge is my life anthem.

This is the first time I've heard them!
    I will definitely investigate further

Grey Ghost on
    edited October 2010
    I don't think Llama is saying it's not okay to not like something

Just that sometimes when you give something a chance, despite an initial "Aww, I dunno man," feeling, it can grow on you and you end up liking it. It's partially timing and partially exposure and suddenly you think, man, this is actually a bit of excellent.

Doesn't always work that way. For instance, Geddy Lee still makes me want to stuff cornnuts in my ears. But it does work that way occasionally!

E: Oh shit oh man ghost I am sending you some information

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yo in the words of david berman "all my favorite singers couldn't sing"

my favorite singers are the ones who maybe took a bit for me to appreciate

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wow I had no idea there was a page 2 and that silver jews were already mentioned

this is insane

(david berman is silver jews' frontman)

exist on
    UmPiq.png