Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Who's been nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

2

Posts

  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Don't fuck with a witch Time to go VROOM!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I still think, from personal experience, that most anyone who is initially put off by Waits' voice can become acclimated to it if they try

    I don't think a singer's voice is something I should have to become "acclimated" to

    XbJml1e.jpg?1
    I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town! | PSN: UnbreakableVow | Wii U: UnbreakableVow26
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tom waits' voice is awesome.

    i mean damn this song

    http://vimeo.com/5532025

  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I still think, from personal experience, that most anyone who is initially put off by Waits' voice can become acclimated to it if they try

    I don't think a singer's voice is something I should have to become "acclimated" to

    Yes, well
    You

    zw3k8eu.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR
  • Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No Beastie Boys love??

  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Never been a tom waits kinda dude

    then again he didn't record the smash hit 1983 song See You In Hell

    So it was a losing battle to begin with

  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Don't fuck with a witch Time to go VROOM!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I still think, from personal experience, that most anyone who is initially put off by Waits' voice can become acclimated to it if they try

    I don't think a singer's voice is something I should have to become "acclimated" to

    Yes, well
    You

    I don't see what's wrong with this logic

    I can't understand someone repeatedly listening to the same singer hoping they'll just "click" and sound better just because everyone else thinks they sound great so there must be something to it, right?

    Take Joanna Newsom

    People love her, for some reason. I think she sounds like a mentally-retarded child. I'm not going to repeatedly abuse myself by listening to her songs just so I can one day have this epiphany and find the joy in her music that everyone else does, because I'd rather not enjoy a singer that sounds like a retarded child! I'd rather just, you know, not listen to it.

    XbJml1e.jpg?1
    I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town! | PSN: UnbreakableVow | Wii U: UnbreakableVow26
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh man I must be jacked up on painkillers

    I am going to agree with UV again

  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe because the lyrics and the musicianship are so fucking phenomenal

    But that's crazy talk so don't listen to me

    zw3k8eu.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Don't fuck with a witch Time to go VROOM!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Maybe because the lyrics and the musicianship are so fucking phenomenal

    But that's crazy talk so don't listen to me

    I don't have a problem with his lyrics or his musicianship

    Just his voice

    XbJml1e.jpg?1
    I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town! | PSN: UnbreakableVow | Wii U: UnbreakableVow26
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    anybody who likes tom waits cannot say a single fucking word about joanna newsom's voice

    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    anybody who likes tom waits cannot say a single fucking word about joanna newsom's voice

    This I don't get

    Just because I like a man who sings like a werewolf does not in any way mean I can't dislike a girl who sings like a developmentally-challenged toddler

    There is no fucking bridge between these two sentiments

    zw3k8eu.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You can write a phenomenal song, gg

    It doesn't mean you should be the one singing it

  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is the same sort of sentiment I have for Rush. I'm sure they're an extremely talented band and you're all totally justified in your love of them but I cannot stand Geddy Lee's voice.

  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You can write a phenomenal song, gg

    It doesn't mean you should be the one singing it

    I get what you're saying but because I actually do like Tom Waits' voice this argument is probably going to go nowhere

    Fast

    zw3k8eu.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the thing is that she doesn't sound like that, especially if you listen to her for a while

    same for tom waits, who stops sounding like a bear with a throat disease after you give him some time to grow on you

    the lesson is that you shouldn't dismiss an artist's work solely because you think their voice is "weird". it can still be good!

    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    the thing is that she doesn't sound like that, especially if you listen to her for a while

    same for tom waits, who stops sounding like a bear with a throat disease after you give him some time to grow on you

    the lesson is that you shouldn't dismiss an artist's work solely because you think their voice is "weird". it can still be good!

    I've tried to like Joanna Newsom but I just can't, man
    That voice is too much

    It's great that you dig her but I can't do it

    zw3k8eu.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am not even gonna argue

    I do not take music seriously at all

    It is not a thing I care enough about to argue for

  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    the thing is that she doesn't sound like that, especially if you listen to her for a while

    same for tom waits, who stops sounding like a bear with a throat disease after you give him some time to grow on you

    the lesson is that you shouldn't dismiss an artist's work solely because you think their voice is "weird". it can still be good!

    I've tried to like Joanna Newsom but I just can't, man
    That voice is too much

    It's great that you dig her but I can't do it

    no it's fine that you don't like her. opinions! they're great

    it's just silly when somebody walks around going "man don't let tom waits' voice put you off he's really great" while also saying "joanna newsom is a terrible artist, she sounds dumb!"

    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Lost SalientLost Salient Z is for Zillah who drank too much ginRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    anybody who likes tom waits cannot say a single fucking word about joanna newsom's voice

    This I don't get

    Just because I like a man who sings like a werewolf does not in any way mean I can't dislike a girl who sings like a developmentally-challenged toddler

    There is no fucking bridge between these two sentiments

    I agree with you!

    Although this argument is probably a silly one to have, even though clearly everyone should love Tom Waits, because Tom Waits is baller as fuck.

    Sometimes you like something right off the bat, even if the appeal is hard for others to understand. Sometimes after a while (like, years - it took me years to appreciate Bob Dylan, I hated his voice when I was in middle school) you have an epiphany and find yourself really digging something you used to dislike. And sometimes the irritation factor is never going to decrease enough to let you appreciate the qualities behind what you find superficially irritating.

    Diff'rent strokes

    etc

    etc

    QuW2glN.jpg"Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." DON'T FREAK OUT HAIL SATAN
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    this can be expanded to any band or singer that deviates from the common line of "normal sounding"

    personal opinions++

    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Ho! Ho! Ho! Drink Coke!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been listening to a good amount of Dylan lately and I think that everyone should spend some time doing that

  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    all people should sing like either Glen Danzig or Rob Halford

  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought of Sarah Vowell when I first heard Joanna Newsom sing
    I love Sarah Vowell and her voice

  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Don't fuck with a witch Time to go VROOM!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've always heard that nobody likes Dylan at first

    But that's not true at all

    Listening to The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan in its entirety was the first I ever heard of him, and I adored it

    XbJml1e.jpg?1
    I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town! | PSN: UnbreakableVow | Wii U: UnbreakableVow26
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    what if you woke up tomorrow and all the bands in the world turned to

    wood

    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Lost SalientLost Salient Z is for Zillah who drank too much ginRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been listening to a good amount of Dylan lately and I think that everyone should spend some time doing that

    Naaahh

    Here's a voice I adore that some people cannot stand:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtA869eH21c

    QuW2glN.jpg"Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." DON'T FREAK OUT HAIL SATAN
  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd probably kill myself

    LS, do you like Wagner

  • Lost SalientLost Salient Z is for Zillah who drank too much ginRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have never been able to appreciate Wagner as much as I should, actually. I like Tristan and Isolde aight, I suppose.

    QuW2glN.jpg"Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." DON'T FREAK OUT HAIL SATAN
  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh
    well Siegfried's Funeral March leaves my jaw on the floor

    anyway
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLFKKY5RHxc&feature=related

  • CoinageCoinage The man from the other side Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    today on the classic rock radio station, they were lamenting how Rush and the Steve Miller Band were passed up for this or something
    I don't like Rush, but it's pretty obvious they deserved to be nominated more than LL Cool J.

    I am ambivalent about Tom Waits, so I don't have anything to argue about here.

    coinage.gif
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Coinage wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    today on the classic rock radio station, they were lamenting how Rush and the Steve Miller Band were passed up for this or something
    I don't like Rush, but it's pretty obvious they deserved to be nominated more than LL Cool J.

    gonna knock you out

    mama said to

  • Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is the same sort of sentiment I have for Rush. I'm sure they're an extremely talented band and you're all totally justified in your love of them but I cannot stand Geddy Lee's voice.

    I feel this way about System of a Downs lead singer Serj Tankian.

    His voice hurts my ears.

    Clowns.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been listening to a good amount of Dylan lately and I think that everyone should spend some time doing that

    Naaahh

    Here's a voice I adore that some people cannot stand:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtA869eH21c

    Oh man
    I really dig this!

    zw3k8eu.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR
  • Lost SalientLost Salient Z is for Zillah who drank too much ginRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Have you listened to Silver Jews before? If you haven't, you should! They are pretty great! Stephen Malkmus is also pretty great.

    Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea is their last album and baaaasically Party Barge is my life anthem.

    QuW2glN.jpg"Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." DON'T FREAK OUT HAIL SATAN
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i dont like joanna newsom but the idea that you shouldn't have to get to like a singer's voice is monumentally retarded

    that's kind of how you broaden your musical horizons (couldn't think of a less stupid term there soz), but I guess that explains why UV is so awful

  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    that is completely and utterly wrong llama

    you shouldn't have to sit there and make yourself like a singer's voice

    it is okay to not like something

  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Have you listened to Silver Jews before? If you haven't, you should! They are pretty great! Stephen Malkmus is also pretty great.

    Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea is their last album and baaaasically Party Barge is my life anthem.

    This is the first time I've heard them!
    I will definitely investigate further

    zw3k8eu.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR
  • Lost SalientLost Salient Z is for Zillah who drank too much ginRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think Llama is saying it's not okay to not like something

    Just that sometimes when you give something a chance, despite an initial "Aww, I dunno man," feeling, it can grow on you and you end up liking it. It's partially timing and partially exposure and suddenly you think, man, this is actually a bit of excellent.

    Doesn't always work that way. For instance, Geddy Lee still makes me want to stuff cornnuts in my ears. But it does work that way occasionally!

    E: Oh shit oh man ghost I am sending you some information

    QuW2glN.jpg"Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." DON'T FREAK OUT HAIL SATAN
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yo in the words of david berman "all my favorite singers couldn't sing"

    my favorite singers are the ones who maybe took a bit for me to appreciate

    UmPiq.png
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wow I had no idea there was a page 2 and that silver jews were already mentioned

    this is insane

    (david berman is silver jews' frontman)

    UmPiq.png
2
Sign In or Register to comment.