Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX East 2011 Information and FAQ Thread (QUESTIONS GO HERE!)

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
So here it is, the big new FAQ Thread. If you guys still have suggestions for things to put in here, please post them. If you're just somebody with a question to ask, please ask it here.
jinwk8.jpg

When: March 11, 12, 13, 2011

Where: Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, Boston, Massachusetts

What:
Wikipedia wrote:
The Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) is an annual gamer festival held in Washington. PAX was created by Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik, the authors of the Penny Arcade webcomic, because they wanted to attend a show that gave equal attention to video gamers, computer gamers, and tabletop gamers. No such show existed, so PAX was born.

Created in 2004, PAX has increased exponentially in size each successive year and has been hailed as a weekend-long celebration of gamer culture. Defining characteristics include game-inspired concerts, panels on game industry topics, exhibitor booths, after-hours parties, tournaments, and freeplay areas.
Theros wrote:
PAX is awesome
ashridah wrote:
PAX is not your personal army
Liger wrote:
unless your name is Robert Khoo
HotSake wrote:
PAX is 50,000 friends you never knew you had.

In 2010, PAX East sold out at over 52,000 in its first year.

Links: Penny Arcade, PAX Website, PAX topic at Wikipedia

What this forum is: This forum is for the discussion of PAX, finding people to travel with, finding people to split the cost of a hotel room, and general questions and information about PAX as well as community events and gatherings.

What this thread is: This thread is a place for people to ask questions, and for the PAX experienced to provide answers (and some general PAX wisdom).

Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for the Official PAX Page FAQ
This is a community-based FAQ for those of you who don't want to comb through this thread to see if your question has been answered already.

• General Stuff
    Spoiler:
  • Concerts
    Spoiler:
  • Merch Booth
    Spoiler:
  • Tournaments
    Spoiler:
  • Handicap/Limited Mobility/Children
    Spoiler:
  • Travel
    Spoiler:
  • Hotels
    Spoiler:
  • Downtown Boston
    Spoiler:
  • Social
    Spoiler:
  • IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THE HAVE/NEED PASSES THREAD
    Spoiler:

Note: This thread was edited from the PAX Prime thread and therefore may contain elements that do not properly relate to Boston/PAX East. If you spot any such element, please let me know and I will correct the error.

Moe Fwacky on

• heelsheels Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, PAX Staff mod
    edited September 2010
    <insert standard heels first FAQ post troll>

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    edited September 2010
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Corrections made, thanks for the head's up.

• EvelynEvelyn Registered User
    edited September 2010
    Maybe it's too early to ask this, and maybe this is the wrong place, but when is the enforcer registration going to be opened?

• whypick1whypick1 [E] ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Probably not, definitely not, and keep checking the forums and front page of PA for any announcements about Enforcer apps.

Is it PAX Prime yet?
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Evelyn wrote: »
    Maybe it's too early to ask this, and maybe this is the wrong place, but when is the enforcer registration going to be opened?

If you want to go to PAX, don't wait for Enforcer applications to open! Secure your tix, hotel and travel NOW. If you later become an Enforcer, you can get your 3-day pass refunded or sell it to someone in need.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Goose!Goose! Haven't played Fallout much tbh... I've played Borderlands. That count?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's also the possibility that they won't do a registration because they have all they need for enforcers

• realisticradicalrealisticradical Durham, NCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Since PAX is in a new... improved... HUGE... venue this year I'm just wondering about how many attendees they can hold? (I saw the mention of 52,000 from last year)

• ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Registered User
    edited September 2010
    Will we be allowed to make waffles in the queue room? :D

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

No.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • bushnrvnbushnrvn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    First of all, hi. I am new. :)

So, Pax East 2011 will be my first PAX. I have already pre-registered and I am totally stoked. As it stands right now I am going to be traveling alone (my friend decided he doesn't want to go anymore - lame) so I came to the forums to see if any meetups were being planned.

So far I've read tidbit about a Pre-Pax dinner and the PAX train. These sound totally awesome and I have been trying to get some details but I haven't been able to find a specific thread or post for either. Maybe I just need to lurk more, but at any rate, everyone here seems super helpful and awesome and I was just wondering if someone would be so kind and explain to a total PAX noob what is being planned/where I can take part in the discussion. :)

Thanks!

PAX Prime 2013 checklist: 4 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X]
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User
    edited September 2010
  • Goose!Goose! Haven't played Fallout much tbh... I've played Borderlands. That count?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's also an FAQ/Questions thread stickied, which this will probably get moved to.

• RdrRdr Registered User
    edited September 2010
    I don't think you'd make the PPD(PrePax Dinner) if you do the PAX Train

Posted in the Dinner thread mentioned above:http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=16762475&postcount=47
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I haven't checked the train schedules yet, but I doubt they've changed much if at all. That said, it's unlikely the ETA is going to make it in time for this dinner (scheduled arrival was 9pm last year). That is what happens when we're at the mercy of Amtrak's schedules. That said, don't try to plan anything based on the train trip's arrival.

Rdr is pronounced Rider(Rahy-der).
    edited September 2010
    Thank you!

PAX Prime 2013 checklist: 4 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X]
    edited September 2010
    Just bought my badge.

Dear Train travelers:

If you're on the Northeast Regional line (which goes down to Washington D.C. and as far west as Philly) Amtrak is offering 25% off. I can get round trip to Boston for $98.

• adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BigRed wrote: »

No.

How about in BYOC? If its built into my computer?

edited September 2010
    adester wrote: »

No.

How about in BYOC? If its built into my computer?
    No.

• ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can also tell you that the PAX Train for PAX East is a bit different than the train for West. It's actually a combination of several different routes, most of which coalesce in Chicago and then head over to Boston. Depending on where you are, you'll catch a different part of the action. You might get into town in time for the dinner, but you might not.

Moe was in charge of the train coordination last year, and I'm sure he'll toss up a thread sometime in the future if he's doing it again. It's still quite a bit early for stuff like that go to up. Expect it in a few months, prolly.

Welcome aboard!

EDIT: Rdr and Moe cleared that up quite nicely, and now my post is superfluous and lame.

Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • RdrRdr Registered User
    edited September 2010
    Moe said to give him to the first week of October for the Train infos.
    Yes, I will. give me until around the first week of October, I'm still recovering from PAX Prime.

Also, minecraft.

Rdr is pronounced Rider(Rahy-der).
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

No.

Actually, that's a pretty good question.

Does Aramark have a contract with the new convention center?

edited September 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

No.

Actually, that's a pretty good question.

Does Aramark have a contract with the new convention center?

There are food contracts in every convention center.

• BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    bushnrvn wrote: »

So, Pax East 2011 will be my first PAX. I have already pre-registered and I am totally stoked. As it stands right now I am going to be traveling alone (my friend decided he doesn't want to go anymore - lame) so I came to the forums to see if any meetups were being planned.

So far I've read tidbit about a Pre-Pax dinner and the PAX train. These sound totally awesome and I have been trying to get some details but I haven't been able to find a specific thread or post for either. Maybe I just need to lurk more, but at any rate, everyone here seems super helpful and awesome and I was just wondering if someone would be so kind and explain to a total PAX noob what is being planned/where I can take part in the discussion. :)

Thanks!

Dear random person I have never met before and certainly never lived in the same dorm as. We should go together.

NeoToma wrote: »
    Is it a frog? A little dinosaur? Also he has the good sense to stay on all four legs. Look at those other two, standing on their hind legs, putting on airs. Do you think you're people? Pfft. Bulbasaur is the working man's Pokemon. Bulbasaur is blue jeans and big dreams. Bulbasaur is Bruce Springsten. Bulbasaur is America.
    edited October 2010
    Bucketman wrote: »
    bushnrvn wrote: »

Thanks!

Dear random person I have never met before and certainly never lived in the same dorm as. We should go together.

Absolutely. Let's move this over to some PMs so we don't muck up this thread. :)

• punziepunzie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How early should I get in line each day?
    However, I would recommend getting in line fairly shortly after the doors open, if you want a concert wristband. If not, then feel free to show up whenever you wake up.

Aren't wristbands a thing of the past?

Also, it says it doesn't open till 2pm on Friday. Is that right??

This space intentionally left empty.
  • AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There will not be any concert wristbands.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Will the Enforcers still be searching the queue room for Jacob Wilson?

Also, why the 2:00 Friday start again? Awful lot of thumb-twiddling going on for several hours Friday morning on the attendee side. I haven't been to Prime but I thought I heard it started at 10 all 3 days. I get that it's a ton of work but I dunno, can you open some of the open gaming rooms early or something?

Spectre-x wrote: »
    You are objectively wrong in this case. You are the silliest goose in the history of everything ever, everywhere, including all possible and impossible alternate realities, timelines, parallel universes, pocket universes and theoretical dream-worlds. You are a nexus of super-wrong, radiating your silly gooseness out over the internet with the force of a trillion supernovas of hyper-incorrectness.
  • heelsheels Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, PAX Staff mod
    edited October 2010
    Will the Enforcers still be searching the queue room for Jacob Wilson?

Nope!
    Also, why the 2:00 Friday start again? Awful lot of thumb-twiddling going on for several hours Friday morning on the attendee side. I haven't been to Prime but I thought I heard it started at 10 all 3 days. I get that it's a ton of work but I dunno, can you open some of the open gaming rooms early or something?

Starting at 2:00pm gives us more time to get PAX setup, there are a lot of moving parts at the show, and it takes some time to get them all together. Prime does indeed start at 10:00am all three days, but we have been in the WSCC for the past several years and know that building *really* well.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
    edited October 2010
    Well, that's kind of a bummer. Hopefully next year (or the year after) it'll move to 10am every day, too.

edited October 2010
    Has anyone else noticed that daylight savings is that weekend? I'm normally a sleep-deprived zombie on PAX Sunday, but now I also have 1 less hour available for sleep that Saturday into Sunday. :?

edited October 2010
    punzie wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that daylight savings is that weekend? I'm normally a sleep-deprived zombie on PAX Sunday, but now I also have 1 less hour available for sleep that Saturday into Sunday. :?

Yeah... "Technically" PAX closes at 3am on Sunday morning :P Since daylight savings hits at 2am.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    punzie wrote: »
    How early should I get in line each day?
    However, I would recommend getting in line fairly shortly after the doors open, if you want a concert wristband. If not, then feel free to show up whenever you wake up.

Aren't wristbands a thing of the past?

Also, it says it doesn't open till 2pm on Friday. Is that right??

Yeah, last I heard it's 2pm friday. The wristbands thing was left over from the old FAQ, I must have missed it when editing.

• RazorDRazorD Registered User
    edited October 2010
    I'm new too! Coming by myself from England.. i'm sure there will be hundreds of us first timers.. i'm not really worried about that at all.

More worried about flying for the first time ever (though, the flight doesn't scare me. remembering all i need to remember and where i need to be when, etc is scary!)

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What's the contact information for general issues with paxsite.com?

Spectre-x wrote: »
    You are objectively wrong in this case. You are the silliest goose in the history of everything ever, everywhere, including all possible and impossible alternate realities, timelines, parallel universes, pocket universes and theoretical dream-worlds. You are a nexus of super-wrong, radiating your silly gooseness out over the internet with the force of a trillion supernovas of hyper-incorrectness.
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff regular
    edited October 2010
    Depends on the issue, but you can start with me. =)

dcoffman@penny-arcade.com

• SnipethewolfSnipethewolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I had a friend with me to split the bill at prime but this time I will be on my own. Is there going to be a hotel room sharing thread for East?

edited October 2010
    I had a friend with me to split the bill at prime but this time I will be on my own. Is there going to be a hotel room sharing thread for East?

Later. The travel desk hasn't opened yet so VERY few people have the rooms yet.

• FrugusFrugus Podcaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey guys.

Short story short: I bought my tickets, then 24 hours later I had my phone stolen which held the ticket info and PDF file for the print outs. The phone was not locked, so the thief has access to that, including a few other things.

I sent an e-mail to the company that sells the tickets about this. Though there's a low chance that my PAX tickets get used or re-sold, I still want to make sure that I don't book hotels for a few days and drive 6 hours to Boston only to find out I can't get in.

While I'm waiting for a response on their part, does anyone know if they can void my tickets and issue new ones? Sounds like it would be the easiest thing to do... I remember there was a clear "NO REFUND" policy, which is too bad, it would have solved my problem quickly.

• VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User
    edited October 2010
    They mail you the badge. Even with the barcode it won't do any good without the badge. That's how it worked last year.

• FrugusFrugus Podcaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They mail you the badge. Even with the barcode it won't do any good without the badge. That's how it worked last year.

This is where I failed to say that I'm from outside the US and the tickets where bought in Online Fashion. I got a PDF file where I have to print the tickets, and that PDF file is readily accessible on the phone wich was not locked.

Will the actual thief have an interest in PAX too and drive down to Boston? Chances are slim! But thieves being what they are, it would probably be easy for him to re-sell them on Craigs or something. I need to have them cancelled and get fresh ones.

I'm still waiting from the organizers the point me in the right direction. I'm sure something like this happened before and there must be some kind of solution available.

EDIT:

In developing news, I fiddled around the ticketing web site and managed to get hold of a customer rep who said something can be done, however I will be called back. I presume there are issues regarding this location which seems to have a no refund policy.

EDIT 2:

It was indeed an issue to have my tickets refunded, but they understood my predicament and managed to cancel the old tickets. I'm now setup with a fresh pair and I'll have them delivered this time around. Thank you people of Pax and Ticketing system!

This discussion has been closed.