As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reach Campaign, Co-Op, and Forge Thread || Metatag: A PA Reach CoOp ||

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't see why not.

Just throw a booster on that fucker and go.

They designed the sabers wrong really. They should have just been scorpions with wings.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Oaka23Oaka23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    color%20image%20scorpionfly.jpg

edit: Array looks pretty damn good, I'm down to playtest it if you want at some point, that goes for anyone really if you have a map to test

gt: i oaka xxiii i

Oaka23 on
    Oaka you magnificent bastard I am in love with you in a way that offends gods and men.
    Comic edits! And for prospective editors, some common panels and extra crap you can use!
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't see why not.

Just throw a booster on that fucker and go.

They designed the sabers wrong really. They should have just been scorpions with wings.

I like this line of thinking.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Downloading. Also, here's a thing as well.

No pictures uploaded yet, but thoughts?

This map is very well put together. Heres a few things that I noticed that seem odd to me

There are a couple lips where ramps meet platforms that kinda stop you if you don't jump, which makes it not so intuitive and seems like it'll cause problems for retreating where there an not intended to be problems

This is probably just me being unfamiliar with the map, but I'm not quite sure where the main dancefloor is meant to be. theres the rocket platform and the two dishes, but otherwise I'm kind of lost

That grav lift thing you made with 2 curved bridge pieces and a one-way shield? Awesome! I think the area above that and below the sender node for that telepoter to the water dish should be a soft kill zone, because that seems like an exploitable place to hide for oddball otherwise.

I'm not sure why the rocks jutting out of the ocean in between everything are kill zones, since they have so many angles of attack and you cant dropshield there with the oddball without losing it in the drink

pistols seem to be everywhere!!

keep in mind, all of this was just me running around in Forge. on the whole it seems like a great map, and I think it will play great as a FFA or Team Slayer map

Joolander on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well my mic is working now.

Anyone wanna run Winter Contingency for the weekly with me?

Xagar on
  • Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would be up for running a level in co-op, Throw me an invite.

Malakaius on
    PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    This map is very well put together. Heres a few things that I noticed that seem odd to me

There are a couple lips where ramps meet platforms that kinda stop you if you don't jump, which makes it not so intuitive and seems like it'll cause problems for retreating where there an not intended to be problems

This is probably just me being unfamiliar with the map, but I'm not quite sure where the main dancefloor is meant to be. theres the rocket platform and the two dishes, but otherwise I'm kind of lost

That grav lift thing you made with 2 curved bridge pieces and a one-way shield? Awesome! I think the area above that and below the sender node for that telepoter to the water dish should be a soft kill zone, because that seems like an exploitable place to hide for oddball otherwise.

I'm not sure why the rocks jutting out of the ocean in between everything are kill zones, since they have so many angles of attack and you cant dropshield there with the oddball without losing it in the drink

pistols seem to be everywhere!!

keep in mind, all of this was just me running around in Forge. on the whole it seems like a great map, and I think it will play great as a FFA or Team Slayer map

Yeah, the weapon placement was questionable at best in my opinion. Most of them save for the rocket launcher, sniper rifle, and sword were just there for the sake of having weapons at the moment. I also agree that there's not a well-defined central area, and me and some buddies are trying to work on that. By all means, alter away and re-upload, I'm interested to see how you guys would solve these problems seeing as how I'm at a bit of a block for a "main stage".

Also, good catch for the brace on the sender, missed that one. I'd also like to test it for Team Slayer, it's only really been run with 2/3 man Slayer thus far.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    as said before, you can send me an invite whenever I'm on and I can probably help out

i oaka xxiii i

Oaka23 on
    Oaka you magnificent bastard I am in love with you in a way that offends gods and men.
    Comic edits! And for prospective editors, some common panels and extra crap you can use!
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the playtest guys. I added boundaries and respawn points as well.
    Updated map is in my fileshare.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kestrel, Ahab, good playing with ya today. Tip of the Spear was especially fun...
    Beep Beep

roadkill.jpg

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If anyone needs help doing Heroic or Legendary campaign levels, I'm totally down for assisting! Just send me an invite on Live with a message attached.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so is there anything extra in the ending if you find all 19 data pads on legendary?

ronzo on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    All reports say no, none of the data pads, bobs, whatever, make any difference.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    All reports say no, none of the data pads, bobs, whatever, make any difference.

dang

well at least the stuff on the data pads is neat, ties in nicely with everything from what i've read

ronzo on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know, considering a single scorpion can take out two scarabs, not to mention fleets of banshees, phantoms, wraiths, and every other covenant vehicle; why doesn't the UNSC pump out tens of thousands of those fuckers and end the war?

Scorpions never blow up. They're just Missing in Action.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Remember them Halo CE warthogs

Why didn't the UNSC just reuse those?

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    They did reuse them

Unfortunately they decided to do so by melting them down and using the metal to make machines that make shittier warthogs

forge question: when setting kill boundaries, does the effect take place when you go inside the area you mark or when you go outside of it

like can I surround my entire map with a hard kill or will that kill everyone instantly

Oaka23 on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Pillar of Autumn took all the good Warthogs
    Reach REALLY could have used those

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know, considering a single scorpion can take out two scarabs, not to mention fleets of banshees, phantoms, wraiths, and every other covenant vehicle; why doesn't the UNSC pump out tens of thousands of those fuckers and end the war?

Scorpions never blow up. They're just Missing in Action.

Actually, within the fiction the main reason that humanity just gets kicked all over the place is most of the combat is in space. In ground warfare, humanity was really pulling ahead, but the Covenant really just didn't need to do much ground warfare when they were out to just exterminate humanity. But on top of that, the Covenant also have sheer numbers so even though they take very heavy casualties, they simply overwhelm human forces eventually. I don't think that humanity as a whole was out-populated, but keep in mind that only a small fraction of humanity's tens or hundreds of billions at the start of the war were actually ever part of the war effort. On the other hand, the Covenant races are basically all draftees and deployed as required.

It's also mentioned somewhere that the Covenant tech ranges from barely effective to massively overwhelming because all of it seems to be designed around fighting an opponent besides humanity. So most Covenant ground vehicles suck against a Scorpion, but the Pillar of Autumn is really the only big human ship which was ever able to go toe-to-toe with heavy Covenant warships. Everything else would get toasted in one or two plasma salvos and single MAC shots couldn't penetrate Covenant shields.

So yeah, had humanity had enough time to adapt and manufacture and train, they could've eventually defeated the Covenant in an entirely military sense. But by the time humanity really started to come around the technological bend, we were already completely wrecked with no military way to recover or turn things around.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well I'm going to sleep now, but tomorrow I should be able to finish up with my skedar remake

unfortunately I ran out of blocks AND walls so its a little funky looking but I think it'll still play fine

just gonna set it up for slayer first so I can see how it feels with my creative wall techniques before I bother with any objective types

Oaka23 on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have a couple of hours before work, so I thought I'd give "If they came to hear me beg" a shot.

I don't mean to boast but - I got it first time.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the multitude of people complaining how tricky this achievement was, I would have thought there was nothing wrong with it at all. I was shocked as hell when it popped.

I also took no damage from doing this. And I cancelled sprint just before reaching the Elite. Oh, and I was on legendary.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So my second map, Cliff Face, appears to suit Ghostbusters quite well, hope you folks enjoyed it.

Thanks to Sanguine for helping me tweak the zones, saved me a lot of time.
    Oaka23 wrote: »

forge question: when setting kill boundaries, does the effect take place when you go inside the area you mark or when you go outside of it

like can I surround my entire map with a hard kill or will that kill everyone instantly

Entering a kill zone kills you, leaving a safe zone kills you. If it's a soft zone you'll have 10 seconds to rectify your mistake as opposed to instant death.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone here purchased the Reach Soundtrack? If so, is the hymn thing from the Deliver Hope TV Spot included in it?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    The Pillar of Autumn took all the good Warthogs
    Reach REALLY could have used those

I remember they could kill you if you so much as bumped into one. Instead of MAC rounds, the UNSC should fire those warthogs instead.

Arteen on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LCDXX wrote: »
    Would someone give me a hand with the weekly challenge? I just want to sprint through Winter Contingency or something...

Pretty please!
    Sorted ;)

Also, LCDXX and I were both very impressed to learn that the "Secure Evac Area" objective on Winter Contingency doesn't have to happen behind the building with the DMR; for us, that whole battle took place near the building by the river.

Of course, by the time we got there, the marines were dead and Carter and Jorge had killed half the Covies. Sorry guys, we got lost!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Should I be making separate variants of maps for similar gametypes (FFA vs Team Slayer, for example), or should I just try to put in enough spawn/respawn points for both?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, you can't remove the soft kill zone on Spire? That is poo.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Apparently I have broken my game; I can fall from the point and take no damage; just did it 5 times in a row from different parts of the map.

This is got to be somehow connected to my inability to get the achievement; but how?

Aaaaaand . . . I just got the cheevo. And I know how. GODAMN THIS GAME.

Care to elaborate?

Ganluan on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ganluan wrote: »
    Apparently I have broken my game; I can fall from the point and take no damage; just did it 5 times in a row from different parts of the map.

This is got to be somehow connected to my inability to get the achievement; but how?

Aaaaaand . . . I just got the cheevo. And I know how. GODAMN THIS GAME.

Care to elaborate?

I found that if I performed the melee attack late enough I wouldn't take damage. To prove it I jumped off at random points from the cliff and with the right timing took absolutely no damage to my shields; just landed on the ground like normal.

So I figured the game wasn't registering the fatal distance because I was performing the melee attack too late.

So then I focused on performing the assassination as soon as possible, from the greatest height. Two tries later, it popped.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have a question about File Share.

Is there a way for me to share something with a specific person/people? Or do I have to Recommend it everyone on my friends list??

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So my first actual attempt at forging anything has resulted in half a base without a roof. I know there's a lot of work to do but I was wondering if people could load it up and let me know if they like the base design. There's going to be a mirror of it on the other side of the rock, ish, but I haven't finalised the design properly yet.

Rivulet 0.1

It's underneath the waterfall near the island on Forge World if you load it up and can't find it.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have a question about File Share.

Is there a way for me to share something with a specific person/people? Or do I have to Recommend it everyone on my friends list??

You have to recommend it to everyone.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Or you can just tell the person to look up your file share

Oaka23 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This is true as well. Also, some Array screens. Some relatively minor changes have been made, I'll reupload the new one later.
    reach4287870full.jpg
    reach4287925full.jpg
    reach4287932full.jpg
    reach4287956full.jpg

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit, that looks confusing as fuck.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hence wanting opinions as to how to make it not confusing. Though it certainly looks more confusing than it feels in my opinion.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oaka23 wrote: »
    They did reuse them

Unfortunately they decided to do so by melting them down and using the metal to make machines that make shittier warthogs

The killzone kills when you go inside of it. Set a safe zone around your map instead so that when anyone leaves it they'll die. I tend to use soft safe and killzones so that people know to get the fuck back before they die but it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

edit: I'm so fucking late with this, goddamn

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the tips

also, captain GET

edit: knew I wanted to say something else

after running around on array it looks more confusing than it is

Oaka23 on
  • Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Array looks sweet, maybe add some colored lights to some of the buildings for points of navigation? I don't know anything about multiplayer map layouts but it seems if you could say "I'm looking at red room, and green room is off to the left, ok I know where I am" it could make getting lost less of a problem.

Malakaius on
    PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Hence wanting opinions as to how to make it not confusing. Though it certainly looks more confusing than it feels in my opinion.

Doesn't seem that confusing to me. But for helping people navigate, just keep in mind that people will need reference points to more easily tell where they are. The cliff face, waterfall, and island are all big landmarks so the map probably is a lot less confusing for people actually on it.

A couple of suggestions, though. For one, you could try using the "color" option on one of the item menus and give each quarter of the map a different color. So even if you have four ramps which looks identical, a person can know where they are because only one of them is red or green or whatever. The other suggestion would be a central structure, even something purely decorative. Then people have something they can orient on for the very center of the map and helps them judge their position against something almost always in their vision unless they're headed out towards the edges of the map.

Oh, and things like Covenant and human barricades also provide reference points. So one side of the map uses only Covenant structure items, then the other uses only human. Then you end up with a Covenant side, a human side, and the part in the middle where the two meet rather than just a bunch of grey buildings and ramps.

Ninja Snarl P on