As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

itunes account hacked

captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Someone hacked my itunes account and bought $14 worth of shitty looking ipad apps. Luckily, they just burned up my stored gift card value, I don't have a credit card linked to it.

I'm trying to figure out how this happened.

I haven't run into any phishing attempts lately.
I only use itunes from this machine. My account is activated on 3 machines, which is worrisome.
My password wasn't really strong, but it wasn't a dictionary word either. I have already changed it to something more secure.
Already ran Malwarebytes, running Spybot. No keyloggers detected yet.
I did try to see if I could run apps on my computer, there was some little game called 'We Rule' I wanted to try. Well, you can't run apps on a not-ipad/phone/pod, it wouldn't open or anything Still, I am suspicious of it. Are apps on the itunes store guaranteed secure?
I've contacted support and they refunded my money and locked my account down. Very quickly. I can unlock it, but I don't want to just yet. Is there any way I can get them to de-authorize all the computers associated with my account?

captaink on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hrmmm. Just a couple answers here.

Authorizing other computers shouldn't give them access to your account; they would still need your password. You can de-authorize all other computers from your account in the iTMS.
    Dodging the question of whether apps are guaranteed secure, double-clicking an app compiled for iOS cannot run any executable code on your computer.

admanb on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do you use your old password for anything else?

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't think so anymore. It was my email password but I changed that quite a while ago, 6 months or more.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Besides MalwareBytes and Spybot, what are some other keylogger/spyware finding programs? Both of them came up with nothing. I'm still worried that I've gotten one.

captaink on
  • Options
    M0NSTERM0NSTER Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    if your email got hacked, and it was linked to the itunes account, they could easily recover it, so i would change ur email password(s), just to be safe, also now with itunes, if you add a creditcard to your account, when someone try's to log into it from a un-registered machine, it asks them for the CSV number which is pretty secure, unless someone has your credit card

M0NSTER on
    I don't know how to count
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    Besides MalwareBytes and Spybot, what are some other keylogger/spyware finding programs? Both of them came up with nothing. I'm still worried that I've gotten one.

also, if you are still worried about viruses, use Avast! AV, heres a link:

http://www.avast.com/security-software-home-office

the good thing about this AV is that it allows Boot-Time scans, which what it does is, it scans your hard drives before your OS boots up, so nothing is even started, so if the virus auto-runs, it doesn't have a chance to try to cover it's tracks, it's a very good AV, and i have been using it for years

but remember, even Anti-viruses can miss viruses, especially if they are FUD packed

M0NSTER on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    M0NSTER wrote: »

the good thing about this AV is that it allows Boot-Time scans, which what it does is, it scans your hard drives before your OS boots up, so nothing is even started, so if the virus auto-runs, it doesn't have a chance to try to cover it's tracks, it's a very good AV, and i have been using it for years

but remember, even Anti-viruses can miss viruses, especially if they are FUD packed

The boot time scans are currently only available for 32 bit systems:x

However, this looks way better than MacAfee, I might switch over.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    M0NSTER wrote: »

The boot time scans are currently only available for 32 bit systems:x

However, this looks way better than MacAfee, I might switch over.

yeah, sorry i didn't know that you was on 64 bit, but i do vouch for Avast! i've been using it for many many years.

M0NSTER on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm trying to figure out how this happened.

I suspect Apple has a problem.

Something similar happened to me a good month ago. My account was used for buying a couple of compilation albums (one classical and one a few year old summer hits thing) only neither album was downloaded. The thing is I had a credit card connected to the account so if it was a genuine hack the behavior made no sense - if you hack a account it has to for the purpose of actually stealing something so one should think heavy buying and downloading was in order.

I rarely use iTunes at all and I actually had to send for the password to even log in to my iTunes account so I know for sure access can not be due to some key logging spyware stuff. Also the iTunes installation which knows my account is on an old G4 Mac from where I rarely access the internet and everything in my house is behind a firewall.

I of course contacted Apple about the situation but that was pretty useless. They would not even tell the IP-adress used when the "shopping" occurred claiming this was for my own protection and canceling the buys was also a no go. Eventually I went to my bank and had them file the whole thing as had someone misused my card causing me to having to replace my card and all that. Funny thing my bank told me they had a another customer report a similar situation only a few days before.

To me the whole thing stinks of Apple having some sort of computer problem which mess up their data and cause buys to happen which are either not real or on different accounts. Only Apple needs the world to trust their system so for them the easy way is to point fingers at anything else but there own systems.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.