As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gamma World Discussion.

2»

• Options
    R|ЯR|Я Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    Die rolls on the core rules of 6 and 16 (see below) would yield Felanoid (Cat person) and rat swarm. However very few things are taken literally in Gammaworld. The fun and humor comes from your imagination of how this is presented.
    I saw that the book had listed one of the possible ways of flavoring that: "a swarm of kittens."

This is now the final boss of my game.

R|Я on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Up-to-the-minute news on my current game from D&D [chat]:

jacobkosh wrote: »
    Playing Gamma World tonight!

My guy is a sentient, mind-controlling cockroach who is possessing the body of a giant retard auto mechanic. He has mechanical expertise, super-high charisma, carries a wrench and a stop sign into battle, and can barf radioactive roach vomit on his enemies.

Here is my awful drawing of him:
    5106635020_00b30d7a86_z.jpg
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Ahahaha, a poisonous vampire bird just tried to bite me and missed.

Little did it know I had the quills mutation, meaning its attack triggered my shooting a bunch of defensive quills at it, killing it.

Little did I know that I would roll a 6 on the power, causing an overload and shooting quills at everything within 15 feet of me, killing two more and seriously fucking up one of my friends.

God, I love Gamma World.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My group had fun with it Friday night.

Although we had a Mind Coercer/Engineered Human...and he had a +17 to his Interaction skill. Basically as long as he didn't roll a 1, he would always succeed on talking to people. That kinda bothered me. I wonder if broken skill stacking is okay...

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm sort of wondering why there are no rules for vehicles at all in the Gamma World rulebook. I want to have porkers using Drive-By Attacks on their choppers!

I'm currently thinking of modifying D&D's mount and vehicle rules. I've made one motorcycle statblock already, and I'm planning to add an "overland" speed (its normal speed is currently 12).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know you add just the ability modifier, not the full ability score to your skill check, right?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    You know you add just the ability modifier, not the full ability score to your skill check, right?

+5, +4, +4, +4, Ability modifier, doubled up skill modifer from complimentary origins, and +4 from some other source (can't remember right now.)

The rule state, just add them.

And we did.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »
    Hey folks! Web based random character generator!

No idea if that's any good, but he's got 2 wagons, a canoe, a horse and a flashlight. That motherfucker's AI was probably based off of an old Oregon Trail game.

In fact...

We were discussing how we were going to transport all our stuff.

We settled one this:
    The pickup trucks bed would hold the boat, The horse would be in the boat, I would be sitting on the horse, holding a rowboat above my head, oh and I had taken my canoe and cut a hole in it and was wearing it around my waist. (Giant yeti).

I think the item list needs to be expanded to d100...the number of boats we got was a little insane.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Here's my first draft at a vehicle:

Here's my first rough draft of a vehicle for Gamma World:
    MOTORCYCLE Level 3
    Large Terrestrial Vehicle
    HP 60
    AC 10 Fort 12 Ref 18
    Speed 12
    Immune Necrotic, Poison, Psychic

TRAITS
    Vehicle
    The motorcycle does not have actions of its own. The driver uses its own actions to utilize the vehicle's powers.
    Two Seater
    One or two Medium creatures may inhabit the motorcycle's space.

MOVE ACTIONS
    Hoggin' the Road (physical) - At-Will
    *The motorcycle moves its speed and may pass through spaces inhabited by enemies. An enemy whose space the motorcycle moves through is subject to the following attack.
    *Melee 0, +8 vs Fortitude
    *1d6 + 6 physical damage, and the target is knocked prone.

MINOR ACTIONS
    Exhaust Plume (poison) - Encounter
    *Close Blast 3, +8 vs Fortitude
    *2d6 + 6 poison damage, and the target is pushed 1 square and is
    dazed (save ends).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I like it, and I agree with the responses in the 4E discussion thread that making it more likely to explode feels more Gamma World-ly.

If it were me, an exhaust power that has a pushback would be called "Backfire," (but that's just me).

I magically got another idea - a minor action at-will:
    Rev the motor
    Close Burst 1
    Target: All creatures in Burst
    Hit: Target is Deafened and takes 1d4 psychic damage.
    Effect: Roll a d20: 20: The burst is extended to Burst 4.
    2-5: the motor blows, rendering the motorcycle useless
    1: go all 'splodey.

Maybe a bit too much, but I think the risk-reward balance is decent.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    As far as the vehicles, the major flaw with designing a premise around them is that fuel is apparently very rare. The pick up truck we had only had 1 gallon of gas, the starter adventure was like 20 miles away, and that one gallon only equaled 10 miles of driving.

azith28 on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As far as the vehicles, the major flaw with designing a premise around them is that fuel is apparently very rare. The pick up truck we had only had 1 gallon of gas, the starter adventure was like 20 miles away, and that one gallon only equaled 10 miles of driving.

It...it's sand!

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I find it weird that so many people have very specific problems with Gamma World mechanics that prevent them from enjoying the system. I've read a bunch of reviews and a lot of commenters don't like the frequency of mutation changes. It bothers me a bit as well, but when running the system, what's to stop me from just making mutations change once a day instead? I've also seen a lot of people complain that the rule book doesn't have a lot of specific setting information. While some additional world building would have been nice for inspiration, GW is open enough to where you can write in anything you want.

I know this isn't you hating on GW's system, but isn't fuel scarcity completely at the GM's discretion?

I guess what I'm saying is I don't understand why people feel the need to follow the book so stringently. Keep what you like and change the rest to fit your game.

anable on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well i would imagine that yes, its up to the DM. I did find it rather odd that when we asked how far we could drive the truck the dm specifically said you have 1 gallon of gas, you can only drive the truck 10 miles. He was going off the starter information, so it sounded like it was going to be a somewhat hard rule for gammaworld...cause otherwise people would be using the truck as a weapon to run things down and such. I would imagine that the general world of gammworld might make gas hard to come by as well. you could easily drive into an area that has mutated into an unevolved primitive area and once your truck runs out of gas in the middle of the dark ages, its a loooooong way till the next station.

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've been frequenting the SA forums, and voicing my disapproval at the box depicting an origin not in the base set, so a goon put something together:

CEPHALOPOID
    You're walking, talking calamari. You were already pretty clever before radiation doubled the size of your brain; now you're something of a genius, with tentacles and color-changing camouflage skin. Isn't it great to be you?

Cephalopoid Traits

Mutant Type: Intelligence; Bio; +2 to bio overcharge
    Skill Bonus (Level 1): Gain a +2 bonus to Acrobatics and Stealth checks.
    Bonelessness (Level 1): Gain a +2 bonus to Reflex.
    Aquatic Adaptation (Level 1): You can swim your speed. You can also breathe underwater.
    Tentacles Everywhere (Level 1): You have multiple limbs that allow you to retrieve and stow items or weapons as a free action. You can't hold more items than normal, however, you cheater.
    Cephalopoid Critical (Level 2 or 6): When you score a critical hit, the attack deals 1d10 extra damage, and you are invisible until the end of your next turn or until you make an attack.

Cephalopoid Powers

Calamari Karate (Cephalopoid Novice)
    You lash out with one of your squirming appendages, snake it around an enemy's leg (or wing or tail or other conveniently grabbable body part), and slam it to the ground. Amazing how you have the coordination to do this even to enemies thirty times your size, huh?
    At-Will * Bio
    Standard Action * Melee 1
    Target:
    One creature
    Attack: Intelligence + your level vs. Reflex
    Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier + twice your level physical damage, and you knock the target prone.

Slippery Skin (Cephalopoid Utility)
    Just when your opponent believes they have you cornered, you slip out of their reach, turning what they thought was a solid hit into a glancing blow.
    Encounter * Bio
    Immediate Reaction * Personal
    Trigger:
    You are hit by a melee attack
    Effect: You take half damage from the triggering attack and shift up to your speed.

Ink Jet (Cephalopoid Expert)
    You let loose on your enemies with a spray of ink. Unimpressed? Well, did I mention it's radioactive ink...?
    Encounter * Bio, Radiation
    Standard Action * Blast 3
    Target:
    Each creature in blast
    Attack: Intelligence + your level vs. Reflex
    Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier + twice your level radiation damage, and targets are blinded (save ends).
    Miss: Half damage, and targets are blinded until the end of their next turn.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So we started a game of Gamma World today. I rolled up a Speedster Pyrokinetic. So I decided I came from a version of Earth that has the Mystery Men.

For my weapons, I used a rebar staff and a blowgun that was basically a steel pipe with chunks of rebar and other debris for ammo, powered by super fiery breath.

Damned fun game.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Helm_von_CanzisHelm_von_Canzis Registered User new member
    edited October 2010

Regarding vehicles, there are Salvagable Omega tech vehicles, with unlimited usage/range. For example, I got an Area 52 Skycycle card in the booster that came with my boxed set.

HP: 50, Space: 2 x 1 squares
    AC 18, Other Defenses 15
    Speed Fly 20
    Driver: a driver occupies the front square of the skycycles space and must have one hand free to move it.
    Load: 200lbs; 2 medium characters

Salvage 6, retains all stats.

Apologies for the low post count, long time lurker/PA reader.

Helm_von_Canzis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Regarding vehicles, there are Salvagable Omega tech vehicles, with unlimited usage/range. For example, I got an Area 52 Skycycle card in the booster that came with my boxed set.

HP: 50, Space: 2 x 1 squares
    AC 18, Other Defenses 15
    Speed Fly 20
    Driver: a driver occupies the front square of the skycycles space and must have one hand free to move it.
    Load: 200lbs; 2 medium characters

Salvage 6, retains all stats.

Apologies for the low post count, long time lurker/PA reader.

Oh, shit. I did not know there were vehicle Omega Tech cards. I'll definitely keep this in mind while designing new vehicles. BTW, I find it interesting that vehicles ignore the normal size rules.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    I've been frequenting the SA forums, and voicing my disapproval at the box depicting an origin not in the base set, so a goon put something together:

I'm curious if anyone else has any custom origins to share?

anable on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'll share one of my encounters (it has three sets of monsters and hazards for varying group sizes):

BLAASH BROODCHAMBER – LEVEL 3

Vision
    *Darkness - -5 to attack rolls for creatures without low-light vision or darkvision.
    *Radioactive Crystal – This Small-sized crystal sheds dim light in a close burst 2.

Terrain
    *Radioactive Crystal – This Small-sized crystal sheds dim light in a close burst 2. The crystal creates a close burst 2 attack when hit by a power with the acid, force, physical, or sonic keyword that deals 3 radiation damage (5 damage if the crystal has been hit by a power with the radiation keyword during the encounter) and blinds the target until the end of its next turn.
    *Slippery Slope – Creatures who enter or begin their turn in a space of slippery slope must succeed on a DC (11) Acrobatics check or fall prone and slide 1 square towards the slope’s bottom.

Monsters (2 PCs; 150 XP/PC)
    *Black Blaash (add darkvision) page 110
    *Blaash Larvae x6 (modified shieldbot; change immunity to radiation, remove resistances, add vulnerable 5 poison, change Electrojolt to Radiation Flash and change damage type to radiation, change Networked to Mother’s Aid and change the subject of the trigger to the Black Blaash) page 127

Monsters and Hazards (3 PCs; 150 XP/PC)
    *Radioactive Crater page 136
    *Black Blaash (add darkvision, change weakened effect of Radiation Beam to push 2) page 110
    *Blaash Larvae x6 (modified shieldbot; change immunity to radiation, remove resistances, add vulnerable 5 poison, change Electrojolt to Radiation Flash and change damage type to radiation, change Networked to Mother’s Aid and change the subject of the trigger to the Black Blaash) page 127

Monsters and Hazards (4 PCs; 150 XP/PC)
    *Radioactive Crater x2 page 136
    *Black Blaash (add darkvision, changed weakened effect of Radiation Beam to push 2) page 110

Tactics
    *Place one of the radioactive craters near the bottom of the slippery slope. Place radioactive crystals around one of the radioactive craters. The black blaash might hit one of the crystals with a radiation attack, charging it. It might also push an enemy into a radioactive crater. Concentrate the blaash larvae around the radioactive crystals; this will encourage a PC to use an area attack, triggering the crystals’ effect.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So me and a couple buddies fired up Gamma World for the first time this past Saturday. Two of us had never played a tabletop RPG before, the other was an experienced D&D vet who served as our GM.

My character was an electrokinetic hawkman named Galingbar. His weapons were a super soaker and tomahawk. He was a member of a race of male-only hawkmen capable of reproducing. One day years ago, he was accosted and beaten by a group of cultists who cut out his eggs and made them into eggs Benedict while he watched and screamed. He's sworn revenge on the cultists ever since.

I find it hilarious that among the gear I drew were a horse (male, whom I've decided he's fallen in love with and named Matilda) and rock climbing kit...when I have wings.

The other player characters consisted of a A.D.H.D. precog speedster named Xander and a cyborg Brad Pitt, affectionately referred to as "Borg Pitt".

During a battle, Borg grabbed a snakeman at one point and wrung his body like a towel until his organs came out his mouth. He also shot a a fat man through the kneecap, causing said man to fall and impale himself through the heart with his severed leg. He then shot the second fat man in the taint, firing his spinal cord out the top of his head and embedding it in the ceiling.

We will be playing this again.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm in the middle of making some rules for vehicles traveling at high speeds, inspired by the rules I can find online from d20 Modern. I want to encourage fighting on top of moving vehicles and jumping between them, as well as utilizing the tops of such vehicles as mobile, PC-controlled terrain.

I'll post what I come-up with when it's in a more refined state.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm planning on running the first campaign this thursday or friday. Thinking maybe a group of badders is hitting a village pretty hard and some natty heroes will have to take care of them.

I liked the value of the set, but it's hard to run with just one book to split between people and a tiny character sheet. Wish I could find the pdf to it online so my group won't have to share.

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    LoedrLoedr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't really tell--is this tongue-in-cheek one-play-per-character silliness with the D&D ruleset, or is this a legit fullblown RPG in itself? From what I've seen and read it looks pretty amusing but I'm not sure what the "commitment level" is.

Loedr on
    Trollolol.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Loedr wrote: »
    I can't really tell--is this tongue-in-cheek one-play-per-character silliness with the D&D ruleset, or is this a legit fullblown RPG in itself? From what I've seen and read it looks pretty amusing but I'm not sure what the "commitment level" is.

It lends itself fantastically to one shots, however you could tie 10 adventures together by a plot line.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

It lends itself fantastically to one shots, however you could tie 10 adventures together by a plot line.

Yeah, there are rules for leveling up and such, but it seems the spirit of the game is more geared toward one-shots and short story arcs.

That being said, it is its own world unto itself and pretty well could be a "full-blown RPG".

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My copy of Gamma World should be arriving this morning from Amazon. Yessssss.

desc on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

Yeah, there are rules for leveling up and such, but it seems the spirit of the game is more geared toward one-shots and short story arcs.

That being said, it is its own world unto itself and pretty well could be a "full-blown RPG".

It's probably important to note that Gamma World has gone through, what, six different iterations? Some of whom were more gonzo than the others. The White Wolf version was actually fairly serious and dark, for example, and was better suited to long term play (given its focus on communities) than it was for one-shots. So Gamma World, as an IP, is more than capable of sustaining a longer campaign. Ten levels can be a long time, after all.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yesssss amazon delivery. Just opened it up. Got my cards, got my lil' manual, photocopied some extra character sheets, little maps and cardboard bits.

This looks fun.

desc on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

It's probably important to note that Gamma World has gone through, what, six different iterations? Some of whom were more gonzo than the others. The White Wolf version was actually fairly serious and dark, for example, and was better suited to long term play (given its focus on communities) than it was for one-shots. So Gamma World, as an IP, is more than capable of sustaining a longer campaign. Ten levels can be a long time, after all.
    This is the the edition, right? With a near miss in Polyhedron with a setting that was so close to Gamma World as to barely skirt rights violations.

The new edition really seems to focus on whacky short term antics.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Zephonate wrote: »
    So me and a couple buddies fired up Gamma World for the first time this past Saturday. Two of us had never played a tabletop RPG before, the other was an experienced D&D vet who served as our GM.

My character was an electrokinetic hawkman named Galingbar. His weapons were a super soaker and tomahawk. He was a member of a race of male-only hawkmen capable of reproducing. One day years ago, he was accosted and beaten by a group of cultists who cut out his eggs and made them into eggs Benedict while he watched and screamed. He's sworn revenge on the cultists ever since.

I find it hilarious that among the gear I drew were a horse (male, whom I've decided he's fallen in love with and named Matilda) and rock climbing kit...when I have wings.

The other player characters consisted of a A.D.H.D. precog speedster named Xander and a cyborg Brad Pitt, affectionately referred to as "Borg Pitt".

During a battle, Borg grabbed a snakeman at one point and wrung his body like a towel until his organs came out his mouth. He also shot a a fat man through the kneecap, causing said man to fall and impale himself through the heart with his severed leg. He then shot the second fat man in the taint, firing his spinal cord out the top of his head and embedding it in the ceiling.

We will be playing this again.

Grim...Violent...Helarious.

azith28 on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Saw this at the NEX and picked it up. Took it home and had the son (10) and wife sit down with me and played around with making a character. My son made a pyrokinetic cockroach, the wife a yeti electric, and me a yeti gravity controller. We were all pretty interested in this point so we decided to run through a little bit of the scenario in the book.

Now, for some background. Me and the wife have played some 3e and 3.5e in the past. Dabbled a little in Pathfinder. Have some 4e books that didn't get used. But Gamma World seemed to really click with my son. He really enjoyed the over-the-top style of it all. And I had fun breaking the fourth wall a little while playing (like having an NPC yell out "AHhhhhHHhHHHHhhHH! I'm dead" before falling over). My son was a little shy, just laughing as me and the wife were roll playing our yetis back and forth. But he got into it a little when a porker missed his breath attack and my son chimed in with "Smells like hamburgers."

I think this might be a keeper.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LoedrLoedr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ^ that is an exceptionally cuet story. I smiled IRL.

Loedr on
    Trollolol.