As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dress Shoes That Hold Up

CorcoranCadetCorcoranCadet Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Pretty sure this exact question hasn't been asked before. I found a thread about comfortable shoes, but this is a bit different.

I consider myself a pretty fashionable guy. I've recently been put in a situation where I am wearing dress shoes every day. Prior to this I would typically wear a Cole Haan loafer or Allen Edmund oxford when I needed to dress up for something. I didn't really wear the shoes all that much, so I felt the cost was justifiable. This new position requires me to be on my feet quite a lot and is putting some wear on my shoes. I tend to wear shoes pretty hard, and it really isn't pleasant to see shoes that are pretty expensive getting dinged up. I also don't have the money to be buying dress shoes every few months.

Does anyone have some recommendations for dress shoes that are going to be durable and will hold up well for daily use? Maybe my problem is mainly related to the fact that I don't reall shine my shoes too much?

CorcoranCadet on

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes, care for your shoes and they will last longer. That's pretty obvious.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The fashion thread in D&D has great dress shoe suggestions, check it out! You may also get a faster, better response to this question if you ask there.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So the main problem is that your shoes are getting scuffed? Yeah. Shining will fix that up. Unless you get a really deep one, but if you have to wear dress shoes you're probably in more of an office or retail environment so you shouldn't be doing too much to put them in danger.

Just remember, not shining your shoes is like not ironing your shirt. You may think no one will notice. You will be wrong.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I burn through dress shoes, expensive and cheap. The only pairs that seem to last me forever are Florshimes. The upper leather lasts long enough to re-sole and re-heal the things, which is a plus in my book.

Rotating shoes to avoid wearing twice in a row, frequent polishing, and shoe trees are suggested.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    wogiwogi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    I burn through dress shoes, expensive and cheap. The only pairs that seem to last me forever are Florshimes. The upper leather lasts long enough to re-sole and re-heal the things, which is a plus in my book.

Rotating shoes to avoid wearing twice in a row, frequent polishing, and shoe trees are suggested.

Something like this - Find a shoe guy in town who can repair shoes, and get his advice as to what you should get. He'll know whats easy (and cheap) to fix up, and what kind of shoe comes in the least, versus the most. With dress shoes, which do wear out so very quickly, this is your best bet.

The best pair of dress shoes I ever had, I shit you not, was a pair of cowboy boots. They looked nice enough that, with dress pants on, no one ever questioned them. They were shinable, and the top leather never wore out. I still have them, they've been re-soled quite a few times, and are the most comfortable dress shoes I own.

wogi on
    http://bit.ly/runshort
    -Current W.I.P.
  • Options
    claypoolfanclaypoolfan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ecco loafers are pretty great.

claypoolfan on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shoes are meant to be worn. Creases, scuff, light scratches, and so on adds character to the shoes. It looks really tacky when a man wears a brand new pair of shoes without any creases and stuff. Sends off a 'newb' vibe. I basically wear a brand new pair of shoes for a week before I use them in serious setting.

Basically you need to rotate your shoes, use correctly fitting shoe trees, always use a shoe horn, consistently polish, use leather cleaning lotion once and a while, and avoid getting them wet. Do this and your shoe will last 5, 10, hell maybe even 20 years.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I recommend Rockport shoes. They're utilitarian, and dressy enough to pass for business or just nice shoes w/ Jeans and a button down. They last and keep looking good.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wear western dress boots, which are more durable than regular shoes. They're also more expensive though.

oldsak on