Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[WH40k] Which wych is which?

ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited December 2010 in Critical Failures
Forward
Chapter 1: Factions
Chapter 2: Where to buy
Chapter 3: Where to talk about it (aside from here of course)
Chapter 4: Transports
Chapter 5: Painting services
Chapter 6: Hobby supplies
Appendix
What books should I read?

logo101.gif

bullet_hole.gif

Warhammer 40k is a futuristic tabletop strategy game created by GamesWorkshop that pits multiple races and factions against each other for control of the galaxy. The wiki article can be found here.
Spoiler:
So, tell me about the rules.
Games of Warhammer 40,000 are traditionally fought for five - seven 'game turns'. In each 'game turn' each player gets a go. They can move, unleash devastating ranged attacks and fight with all of their models. The rulebook explains how to do each of these things, and once you've read over it once, it becomes remarkably simple to do. In no time you'll be blasting your enemy's warriors with battle cannons and bolter shells, and hacking them down with whirring chainswords!
bullet_hole.gif
Chapter 1: Factions
deamon1.gif
- The Dark Forces -
Daemons Lust, hate, despair, sorrow. All emotion has a reverbaeration within the warp, the worst, most bitterly felt, and the furtherest extreme becoming strong enough to persist, coalesce, and finally, become. It was from the darkest corners of the galaxy's hearts that Khorne - Lord Upon the Skullthrone, Tzeentch - The Changer of Ways, Nurgle - The Final Decay, and Slaneesh - The Feaster of Pain, sprang forth, and they await the time when the veil against the Warp wears thin, and their warriors, spawn, and offspring can pour through.

csm_02.gif
- The Betrayer -
Chaos Space Marines At the very birth of the Imperium of Man, fully half of the Emperor's most trusted Legions turned against him in a bitter civil war. Brother fought brother, and Mankind drove itself to the very brink of extinction. Ten thousand years after their defeat, those same traitors still launch their Black Crusades from within the Eye of Terror, their dead hearts intent upon nothing less than the utter destruction of the Imperium and the death of its weakling Emperor.

sm_10.gif
- The Hammer -
Daemonhunters The Imperium of Man is beset on all quarters by enemies hellbent on its destruction. However, some of the greatest threats imaginable originate not within this physical universe, but rather the one beyond. These are a foe that not even the mighty Space Marines are capable of standing against alone, and it was in the face of these that the Ordo Malleus, and their servants, the Grey Knights, were created.

eldar_00.gif
- The Dying -
Eldar An unimaginably ancient race who once ruled an empire spanning the galaxy. Then came the hideous time of the Fall, when the Eldar were consumed by their own decadence and nearly obliterated to the last, the few survivors scattered across the stars. Though the Eldar are few in number, they continue to be one of the most technologically advanced races in the galaxy. This advantage is combined with the prescient abilities of their Farseers, who scry the future and guide their kin along the most favorable paths of fate.

de_01.gif
- The Lost-
Dark Eldar These spawn of unquiet dreams inhabit a realm called Commorragh, a place as darkly twisted as its rulers, from which these merciless pirates launch raids across the length and breadth of the galaxy. The purpose of these raids is not to conquer planets or protect territory but to cause mayhem, steal, pillage, and – most importantly of all – capture new victims to be taken back to Commorragh for endless torture.

ig_00.gif
- The Dutiful -
Imperial Guard In the midst of genetically engineered super-beings, alien killing machines, warrior mystics, and technology that approaches sorcery in its sophistication, the Imperial Guard are mere mortals. Protected by little more than faith, they contend with the most terrifying threats the darkest corners of the galaxy vomits forth. As such it is easy to identify with these brave souls and to see in them the qualities of true heroes. Also: tanks tank lol

necron.gif
- The Ancient -
Necrons Ancient beyond imagining, the Necrons are awakening from their 60-million-year dormancy to plague the living once more. Thousands of immortal, soulless warriors have risen from dusty stasis-tombs, their cold wills bent on harvesting the teeming species of the galaxy. Their miraculous technology was far in advance of any contemporary equivalent long before the Eldar, reckoned the oldest amongst the xenos races, had even begun their existence, and it is only that so few have awoken that they do not pose a greater threat in the current day.

ork.gif
- The Beast -
Orks The most widespread and warlike race of aliens in the bloodstained galaxy of the 41st millennium. From the depths of the galactic core to the distant ghost-stars beyond the galactic rim, burgeoning Ork empires rise and fall. In terms of sheer numbers and planets, Orks occupy more of the galaxy than any other single race, and if they ever unified, they would crush all opposition the stood before them. However, the Orks' passion for violence is so unquenchable that they spend their entire lives embroiled in war, and will fight each other as readily as any other foe.

sm_02.gif
- The Loyal -
Space Marines They are the most powerful and dreaded of all the human warriors in the galaxy. No longer strictly human, but superhuman, superior in all respects to mere men by a harsh regime of genetic modification, psycho-conditioning and rigorous training. Being few in number compared to the uncounted trillions of humanity, Space Marines are organized into small independent armies called Chapters. Their unswerving loyalty is to the Emperor of Mankind first, their Chapter second, and none other beyond that.

tau.gif
- The Young -
Tau Empire Since their first contact with the Imperium in the 35th millennium, the Tau have risen from a hunter-gatherer society to a star-faring race in less than six thousand years. Absolute obedient to the command of the enigmatic ethereal caste, the Tau believe that now is their time. It is their race and their Empire that will bring unity to the stars, all races equal, and the Tau first among them. There is no foe their technology cannot overcome, no quandary their science cannot resolve, the stars and all that lies between to be joined beneath the aegis of the Greater Good.

tyranid.gif
- The Hungry -
Tyranids Without a doubt the most alien race encountered by Humanity. They have been likened to galacticlocusts, remorselessly hungry and too numerous to stop. Tyranids are a nomadic, space-dwelling race that emerged from the void between galaxies into our own in search of new resources to consume. These hive fleets have discovered sustenance in abundance in the forms of the myriad species of the Milky Way galaxy, stripping planets of all bio-mass before moving on, leaving nothing but a ball of scoured rock in the wake of their titanic swarms. What's worse, no one seems able to halt, let alone reverse, the Tyranid tide as its tendrils bore ever deeper towards the heart of our galaxy.

sister.gif
- The Faithful -
Witchhunters The darkness contained within the Imperium itself is a sinister and subtle threat. The heretic, mutant, and rogue psyker threaten humanity with an internal rot far more damaging than any xenos invasion. The Ordo Hereticus exists to seek and burn out this threat. Known as the Witch Hunters, these Inquisitors command the might of the Imperium – especially the Adepta Sororitas – in their hunt for the witch, the mutant, the heretic, the fallen cleric, and none is permitted to escape the cleansing fire of their wrath.
bullet_hole.gif
Chapter 2: Where to buy
Spoiler:

Chapter 3: Where to talk about it
Spoiler:
bullet_hole.gif
Chapter 4: Army Transports
Spoiler:
bullet_hole.gif
Chapter 5: Painting services
Spoiler:
bullet_hole.gif
Chapter 6: Paints, tools, and hobby supplies:
Spoiler:

Appendix

Gallery of Cool Custom Dice
Spoiler:
Nifty pictures to follow:
Spoiler:
A Gentleman's guide to the modern codex:
Spoiler:
What books should I read?
Spoiler:

ElderCat on

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
  • SJSJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes! NEW THREAD!
    I look forward to pitting my Orks and Marines against the DE, it'll really liven up the metagame I think. Can't wait until regular Eldar get redone too!

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt Damn you, eidetic memory! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nothing kills libido like dying.

Origin ID: Null_Cypher
    Thomas-Vail.png
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User
    edited September 2010
    Nothing kills libido like dying.

I dunno, I hear some of those Dark Eldar are into some pretty kinky shit.

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, anyone have any idea as to reliable Grey Knights rumors?

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • NaxNax Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I heard they will still be called Grey Knights

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • TalonZahnTalonZahn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shoulder surgery gave me time to put together 44 DC (22 JP and 22 Foot) and test paint a couple Nids.

I think I'm staying with the colors Nax had going. Tan/Brown wash bodies with blue carapace.

Unfortunately I have to go to San Diego for a week now and have no time to paint.

@ Grey Knight rumors - They will still be painted Silver with a blue wash despite being called "Grey" Knights.

edited September 2010
    I definitely take zero credit for that scheme... They were like that when I got them off ebay.

(Except the 4 painted gaunts that are different from the rest of the painted stuff... Those were mine)

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ElderCat wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Now there's a hot chick into BDSM, she wants to make you her slave, and then when you don't amuse her anymore she will torture you to death.
    That suddenly stopped being hot didn't it?
    Eh? She won't torture you to death; she'd just kill you in as elaborate and entertaining a fashion as possible. Which, relatively speaking, would be mercifully quick.
    It's her friends/rivals in the haemonculi courts that you don't want taking an interest in your death.

Also, since I am clinically insane; I just stepped down the 0.5mm bore on my poly cement nozzle to 0.3mm because the larger calibre was just putting too much down with every squeeze.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    New Dark Eldar look so awesome to me. I can't wait to get enough money to start up an army of them again.

You are history's greatest monster.
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Nothing specific, but sooner than you might think...

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    THIS THREAD IS UNACCEPTABLE... the imperial infantryman's uplifting primer is not present in the opening post. Commisar spork will be most displeased.

[Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well my forming IG army will be prepared to deal with the new dark eldar threat.

You may be able to dodge 5 lascannons. But you can't dodge 50.

My Flickr. My Fruitfucker computer and my Annarchy computer. See my PAX 2006/07/08 Flickr sets

"Look at that subtle off-white coloring, the tasteful thickness of it... Oh my God, it even has a watermark."
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Great

Dark eldar are going to make hydra's and manticores even more popular.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How so?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElaroElaro Doing experiments Windfall IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Raslin wrote: »

I'm thinking... right now!

Drat.

Stop spreading your foul xeno heretic mutant lies, Raslin!
    Spoiler:

Steam ID My Youtube Channel
    Warhammer 40k: Join the Eternal Crusade! Use my referral code to get free stuff!
    EC-G6MN6TUUBTGII
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've nearly got 650pts of nids. Got some termigants last night. Hopefully I can bum some warriors from my brother and play a few games this weekend.

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Raslin wrote: »

I approve of this generic but enigmatic non-statement. :^:

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is it me, or is the amount of highlighting on those DE at a level of insanity? Or am I just noticing it more because it's green on black?

There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Let's not forget the links to non-GW, but cool miniatures and bitz suppliers:
    Spoiler:
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I found some interesting Tyranid 3rd party stuff.
    Spoiler:

There's also chapterhouse studios. They have a lot of Space Marine stuff, but also more Tyranid stuff. Awesome Ymgarl heads, and a conversion kit for making a Tervigon out of a Carnifex.
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So yeah. I was considering getting a battlemat from GW. Even though it doesn't match my intended basing (ice), I do want some kind of mat for gaming. Then someone at Warseer mentioned Zuzzy. Are these guys in the OP? If they aren't, they need to be. Latex battlemats, that are textures but unpainted. The ruined land mat is ideal for my ice board, and while I can make ice terrain out of Styrofoam, they have awesome and decently priced hills and stuff too.

More from this post at 3++ http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/2010/11/digging-for-gold-sites-for-buying-bitz.html I've not included anything already listed above.
    Spoiler:

Your sig was too tall.
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Highliting black needs to sort of be dramatic otherwise it looks like a piece of coal. Black is a bitch to paint well. I think it looks nice though.

So I spent like an hour yesterday making a little blown out house corner for my heavy bolter team to be occupying on their 60mm base. It's pretty awesome.

My Flickr. My Fruitfucker computer and my Annarchy computer. See my PAX 2006/07/08 Flickr sets

"Look at that subtle off-white coloring, the tasteful thickness of it... Oh my God, it even has a watermark."
    edited October 2010
    Omg you stole my idea without crediting me

• PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh the joy I feel when I think of Dark Eldar models with heads not the same size as their torsos.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    It's weird to see GW highlighting like I do.

• mugginnsmugginns Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That limited edition paint box thing is so ridiculous. I don't think I use more than 10 colors ever when I paint... would be nice if you're a really huge painter though.

E26cO.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Matrias wrote: »

I'm intrigued...go on...

There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    edited October 2010
    ElderCat wrote: »
    See at first I thought that too slapnuts, but I think what he is saying is that GW highlights just like he does.

Oh! I get it now...

Nothing to see here...

Anyway, my wife and I were just saying that Mega Paint Set would be worth it if you bought it, then you could get the pots refilled for like $1 for the rest of your life.

edited October 2010
    I think someone should paint a carnifex using every color in the mega paint set. Only catch; it has to look good.

edited October 2010
    Talking of paint ranges, I have just discovered that my local Model Zone (and maybe all of them now) has the entire Vallejo Model Colour range for me to see in-store, including the glaze media, varnishes and inks. No more guessing what colours really look like based on a website's attempt to render it on-screen for me!

edited October 2010
    Slapnuts wrote: »

I'm intrigued...go on...
    super obvious and extreme? I wasn't patting myself on the back

• Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    1000 point eldar list, feedback would be grand.
    Spoiler:

You know who I fucking hate? Pony.

I don't know why, I just felt the need to say that.
  • Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nax wrote: »
    I think someone should paint a carnifex using every color in the mega paint set. Only catch; it has to look good.

I think bill could do it nax

[Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Oh the joy I feel when I think of Dark Eldar models with heads not the same size as their torsos.

I mentioned that exact thing to Mago yesterday. The Wyches in particular are that bad.

And now to make 750 points of Nids for Sunday.

edited October 2010
    1000 point eldar list, feedback would be grand.
    Spoiler:
    Man I hate guardians.

edited October 2010

I'm intrigued...go on...

Not at all. Initially I read it like you were saying you physically see the highlighting a different way than the rest of us. Like how Matt Damon saw math in Good Will Hunting.

But then Elder pointed out that I suck at reading.

edited October 2010

I'm intrigued...go on...

Not at all. Initially I read it like you were saying you physically see the highlighting a different way than the rest of us. Like how Matt Damon saw math in Good Will Hunting.

But then Elder pointed out that I suck at reading.

No you don't, you just perceive words differently.:whistle:

...I'll get my coat.

edited October 2010
    No, you had it right.

My eyes live in a different dimension, where GW models are highlighted with blood, glow stick goo, and, welll.... other things.

edited October 2010
    No, you had it right.

My eyes live in a different dimension, where GW models are highlighted with blood, glow stick goo, and, welll.... other things.

So you'll be playing Dark Eldar then?

• susansusan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Alright, here's my completely new 2000 Pt Necron list:
    Spoiler:

Critiques welcomed.

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
This discussion has been closed.