As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] Which wych is which?

• Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    fair enough, moving on though nax you and altmann pick a day that we can go to the shop. For some reason ive been hankering to play the horus heresy game and i know you guys havent tried it.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sentaph wrote: »
    So I was wondering... what do you guys do to keep games interesting?

You see, I realized the other day that I hardly ever roll for missions any more. Instead, my buddies at the FLGS and I are constantly trying to come up with new ways to play. For instance, our shop has a set of random mission generator cards. You pull the color coded cards to determine things like deployment, conditions, objectives, and special abilities.

The last mission I played with the cards had 24" square deployments in opposite corners, with 1 objective in each deployment zone, and 2 in no man's land. Deployment made us place all units in the deployment zone and overriding special rules which meant BOTH my drop pods were now sitting in my deployments zone. My friend's primary objective was to have more kill points in the center of the board than me, and his secondary was to hold two objectives. My primary was to have two units or vehicles above half strength in his deployments zone at game's end, and my secondary was to take one of his objectives. Now, this wouldn't have been too bad (even without my dang drop pods) but the conditions were killer! First, there were random meteor strikes each turn which didn't actually hit anything all game. But the second condition was flooding. This meant that all terrain except for buildings, ruins, and hills were both difficult and dangerous. Also, each turn, all objectives floated D6" towards a random board edge (which happened to be my opponent's of course)

Needless to say that one was a little rough! Even worse, his two Exorcists and his Vindicare Assassin took out all my tanks and transports. This left me footslogging through difficult and dangerous terrain trying to reach his board edge while he just turtled in the middle. With a ton of luck and a Librarian casting Force Dome (and later instant killing Inquisitor Lord Kamazarov with Force Weapon) I managed to clear him out of the middle of the table, and take one of his objectives to win. It was crazy!

Lately though, we've been running 2000 point 3-for-all games that really force you to think differently. Last game we each had two objectives to place, but they were treated exactly as reserves. You rolled for them to come in on turn 2, then used deep strike to place them, and even used the mishap table if you missed. Things got pretty wild! I got hit from both sides and got wiped out of my deployment zone. Luckily my Pedro/Sternguard/Librarian Drop Pod came in with my second objective, so I pulled something crazy and dropped both next to the Necron player's objective that was lightly defended and ignored. I pulled it off pretty well (Vengeance Rounds and The Avenger will do that) but the game went another turn and the objectives got contested. Still, I had a blast, and learned a lot.

Anybody else have cool or wacky games they run?

Me and my brother are doing a campaign of IG (him) vs Marines (me). It started when we did a 1v1v1 game with our friend with half my army, so there's a misunderstanding and now it's going along well.

Recently we did a match where my Dread got 2 weapon destroyed and immobilized roll at the end of the match. So we decided that the next mission would be a kill-team/infiltration/rescue mission. He gets 3 companies and I get 10 Terminators and a tech marine to repair/rescue my Dread.

That actually turned out to be rather fun.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    altmann wrote: »
    Scurvy, you have no place to talk. You actually openly admitted you were not going to go against the guy next to you. In a FFA game, there are no rules, and there's only one winner...

I simply stated that i formed an alliance of the moment with my wolf brother. Who then turned on me and killed me instead of the nurglings he should have.

Whoa whoa whoa...what's all this then...we were drinking some ale, eating some meat and next thing you know I'm thrown out into the middle of the field and expected to take down Papa Nurgle so you could secure the objective...I thought we were friends Scurvy?

Alt suggested we set up an Orlando game day in the painting thread. And I agree. The rest of October is shot for me, I could do second week of November or early December.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am about to begin a project that is way over my head. I do not possess the talents required to do this justice. However, I am going to do it anyways.

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So yeah. I was considering getting a battlemat from GW. Even though it doesn't match my intended basing (ice), I do want some kind of mat for gaming. Then someone at Warseer mentioned Zuzzy. Are these guys in the OP? If they aren't, they need to be. Latex battlemats, that are textures but unpainted. The ruined land mat is ideal for my ice board, and while I can make ice terrain out of Styrofoam, they have awesome and decently priced hills and stuff too.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The GW Battlemat is pretty much the greatest thing ever

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So yeah. I was considering getting a battlemat from GW. Even though it doesn't match my intended basing (ice), I do want some kind of mat for gaming. Then someone at Warseer mentioned Zuzzy. Are these guys in the OP? If they aren't, they need to be. Latex battlemats, that are textures but unpainted. The ruined land mat is ideal for my ice board, and while I can make ice terrain out of Styrofoam, they have awesome and decently priced hills and stuff too.

Holy shit, that looks amazing. Definitely bookmarking these guys.

SJ on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nax wrote: »

For grass boards, yes. These guys make textured latex mats in the same style, that you can paint and flock yourself. Have guys on rocky bases? Look out of place on your grass battlemat? Have a look at Zuzzys stuff.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, that upcoming city mat looks awesome, and for such a reasonable price. I think I now what my gaming budget for next month is going towards. :D

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nax wrote: »

For grass boards, yes. These guys make textured latex mats in the same style, that you can paint and flock yourself. Have guys on rocky bases? Look out of place on your grass battlemat? Have a look at Zuzzys stuff.

I've known about that site for awhile :P Last Thanksgiving I was looking for mats since the GW one went discontinued. I was going to get one but didn't. Fiancee ended up getting me one for christmas and its amazing. I don't care if my bases are bright neon pink, I will still use my GW mat. I love it so.

Nax on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So yeah, my current, planned Tyranid 1500pt army. Here's the list, any tips?

Note that I want to avoid using Trygons and Tervigons, mainly because everyone uses them, and while they are better than Carnifexes, I'm trying to avoid them outside of bigger games. Also, my warriors aren't not having deathspitters. It's a preference thing. Though I've considered dropping the venom cannon.

HQ
    Tyranid Prime
    LW/BS
    Scything Talons

Hive Tyrant
    Armoured Shell
    Wings
    LW/BS
    Scything Talons
    OK, first up, the Tyrant is illegal. You can have either Armoured Shell or Wings, but not both. Which powers are you planning on taking? You should also consider taking a power like Hive Commander or Old Adversary depending on what you are planning on doing. The Prime is fine pretty bare bones, though I'd probably give him a Deathspitter myself.
    Troops
    5 Warriors
    4 Death Spitters
    1 Venom Cannon
    Scything Talons

12 Hormagaunts

12 Hormagaunts

24 Termagants
    Your Hormagaunt units are way too small. They lose effectiveness if they drop below 10 which will happen way to easily in units of 12. A single unit of 24 would be a lot better. I prefer Barbed Stranglers over Venom cannon due to the large blast and pinning, but it's really a matter of personal taste.
    What will you be using your Termagants for? I find that they are a unit where you need to have a role in mind for them otherwise they are a bit too feeble to be very useful.
    Elite
    3 Hive Guard
    These guys just rock, plain and simple. I'd suggest trying both Hive Guard and Zoanthropes and seeing which you like more. They have different roles though and I try to fit both in any army I do.
    Fast Attack
    3 Shrikes
    LW/BS
    Scything Talons

10 Gargoyles
    I assume you plan on running these guys with the Flyrant. If you want a solid winged force I would suggest taking 10 more Gargoyles and giving them both Sacs and Glands for extra killing power. Then, give the Tyrant Old Advesary for extra lolz. That is theory hammer though, but somethign I am itching to try myself.
    Heavy Support
    Carnifex
    2 pairs Scything Talons

Carnifex
    2 pairs Scything Talons

Let me know how these boys go. I'm curious as to how they perform. I'd be tempted to drop one and take a unit of 3 to get enough points to flesh out your Troops units and maybe get some more Gargoyles.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Asher wrote: »
    OK, first up, the Tyrant is illegal. You can have either Armoured Shell or Wings, but not both. Which powers are you planning on taking? You should also consider taking a power like Hive Commander or Old Adversary depending on what you are planning on doing. The Prime is fine pretty bare bones, though I'd probably give him a Deathspitter myself.

Wow, I did not see that. Dropping that gives me the points for a commander power. I was probably going to go Paroxysm and Leech Essence. I actually dropped the deathspitter, but I'll put it back on. I liked having the deathspitter on it.
    Your Hormagaunt units are way too small. They lose effectiveness if they drop below 10 which will happen way to easily in units of 12. A single unit of 24 would be a lot better. I prefer Barbed Stranglers over Venom cannon due to the large blast and pinning, but it's really a matter of personal taste.
    What will you be using your Termagants for? I find that they are a unit where you need to have a role in mind for them otherwise they are a bit too feeble to be very useful.

Funnily, I was already considering combining them into a single unit of 24. The termagants are there for sitting in cover on an objective and/or providing a cover save for the warriors on the way.
    These guys just rock, plain and simple. I'd suggest trying both Hive Guard and Zoanthropes and seeing which you like more. They have different roles though and I try to fit both in any army I do.

Yeah, I'm going to have units of both. Mainly, I'll bring out the Zoanthropes and pod when I'm against an army without psychic hoods.
    I assume you plan on running these guys with the Flyrant. If you want a solid winged force I would suggest taking 10 more Gargoyles and giving them both Sacs and Glands for extra killing power. Then, give the Tyrant Old Advesary for extra lolz. That is theory hammer though, but somethign I am itching to try myself.

Yeah, I'm tweaking my list to try and fit another 10 gargoyles on. The idea is it's almost a separate, fast moving detachment that can run up a weak flank.
    Let me know how these boys go. I'm curious as to how they perform. I'd be tempted to drop one and take a unit of 3 to get enough points to flesh out your Troops units and maybe get some more Gargoyles.

That's 2 Carnifexes, not 4. I meant each one has 2 sets of scything talons. I'd love to fit a 3rd in there and run them as a single unit and attach my tyranid prime, but there's just not enough points. I'd have to drop my Shrikes, which isn't going to happen. As is, they're going to be run as one unit now with the Tyranid Prime, to make use of wound allocation shenanigans.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have thought about getting the realm of battle board
    Is it good? bad? indifferent? I know I would waste a lot of time painting and flocking it

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have thought about getting the realm of battle board
    Is it good? bad? indifferent? I know I would waste a lot of time painting and flocking it
    I can't help you decide whether it's value for (your) money, but I can tell you that it is very solid; it has substantial cross-bracing on the underside making the boards quite stiff and very strong under compression (basically you can walk on the thin sections without crushing them if they are on the floor) but also quite light, and the bag makes the whole thing easy to carry around, which I guess is the point.
    Aesthetically, I'm not really one for the skulls everywhere, but that can easily be fixed (or not if you want), but other than that the rocks look like rocks and the grass bits will look acceptably close to grass once flocked.
    Overall I think it's a class idea, but I also know I can knock together a 6'x4' MDF-and-pine board for significantly less than what GW wants to charge you for plastic.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I was kind of confused by the rocks skulls thing because I know of two people with the board I thought it was rocks at first but then I saw they were skulls is this the board in the set or in the additional pack?

I know of the whole price thing but I see a lot of people trying to dtich them for cheap latly so I was kind of interested

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The original set is the one that comes with the skulls. IIRC the "expansion pack" is just (relatively) plain boards.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Added this to my post on the first page of non-GW stuff.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    BTW, the Dark Eldar are up for pre-order on GW's site.
    No idea when the discount peeps are going to get their listings up; one said a couple of weeks...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My Opinion on the Realm of Battle is that the lack of variability is boring and it's a shit to play on. The fucking hills get in the way and unbalance everything. It just feels unsatisfying to play on.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    BTW, the Dark Eldar are up for pre-order on GW's site.
    No idea when the discount peeps are going to get their listings up; one said a couple of weeks...

Well I am going to buy the codex and Archon because I will get them early as for a raider and some troops I will wait on them

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I already ordered the codex just to get it a couple days early and also to not have to fight the crowds on release day.
    Models I can wait for, since I do technically already have a DE force, somewhere.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mine is crammed in a shoebox in little bags I never painted it and I kind of feel sorry for it now

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Found 'em. Mine are [strike]standing behind[/strike] sneaking up on some of their craftworld cousins in one of my storage shelves.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    I found two metal Sybarite models.

Boy do they look like ass.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    I found two metal Sybarite models.

Boy do they look like ass.

Hive Fleet victims

Brainleech on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think there should be an entirely different comp system that doesn't dock any points, but only ADDS points when you take shitty units in the codex... The shittier, the more points you take.

So you don't get docked for taking OP lists, but you can GET points for taking the less popular units.

Or something...

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Figured it was time to swap up my Tyranid list before people started getting wise and beating me more often than usual.

So now I'm using what is basically just a fun list; 60 Termagants, 2 Trygons, Tervigon, Tyrannofex, 2 Hive Guard, Zoanthropes and Venomthropes.

The Gaunts make an enormous screen; backed up with the Venomthrope save and Tervigon FnP. If anyone tries to assault them they get bogged down in the Venomthrope cloud and Tervigon Counterattack/Toxin Sacs bonus. Basically the whole swarm moves forwards every turn, the Trygons run up the flanks and, with fleet, can rapidly get to whatever I want smooshing. Guard and Zoeys advance in the gaunt screen until they reach a decent spot to snipe from and the Tyrannofex stomps up the center being a huge target. And when i'm not fighting Marines it can actually kill things too!

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Went into a GW today, to get see if the Sabbat world story collection was in; it was, but while in the process of picking it up and taking it all of 3 yards to the till, one guy was talking to another about one of the stories, and gave away some details.

Poor form I feel.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    lessmorelessmore United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well the time has come for me to hang up my warhammer hat and make sure these minis go to a good home.

You guys have helped me a lot during my gaming years so I thought I'd let you guys have first crack before they get ebay'd/bartertown'd

PM if you're interested
    Everything is assembled Most everything is unpainted. Fantastic condition Everything is newest ed.
    Prices are not set in stone if you like something shoot me a PM with your price.
    I am not looking to trade only to sell. I would be willing to break up the large army into two parts if you don't want everything.

Space Marine
    Retail comes to 590.00
    I will take 400.00 Which is a little more than 30% off

1xVulken
    5x CC Terminators w/TH SS FW shoulders
    5x assault marines 1x w/TH
    1x Chaplin w/Jump pack
    1x Thunderfire cannon
    5x Sternguard
    9x devestators w/srg
    3x Drop pods
    1x Land Raider Redeemer w/ FW doors
    1x dread w/sentinal leg conversion
    11 tac w/ MM, Flamer, srg
    11 tac w/ MM, Flamer, srg
    1x Land Raider
    1x Vindicator
    5x Scouts
    1x Rhino

Ork
    Retail comes to 520.00
    I will take 360.00 which is a little more than 30% off
    1x warboss
    1x runtherd w/herder
    5x commandos
    5x tankbustas
    1x zaggstruck
    2x bigmeks
    1x weirdboy
    1x painboy
    1x badruckk
    1x truckk
    1x deffdread
    3x kanz
    5x stormboyz
    3x bikers
    10x flamers
    5x nobs
    11x choppas
    10x shoota
    1x flashgit

assault on black reach(will part out)

Fantasy

1x Khorne deamon (painted) 20$

(100$ for lot)
    1x orc shaman
    2x gobbo shamen
    1x Black Orc Boss
    10x Black Orcs
    1x Azhag the Slaughterer (new ed)

10 ungor raiders (painted) 90$
    10 Bestigors (painted)
    20 gors 2xhw (primed)
    3 minotaurs
    1 avatar of war beastmen lord

12 chaos warriors 150$
    5 chaos knights
    10 chaos hounds
    20 marauders
    5 marauder horsemen
    2010 games day chaos sorcerer
    Harry the Hammer

Island of blood

Core Rule Book 8th ed + all magic cards except High Elves

I think I covered everything if you have any questions PM me.

lessmore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fuck, I'm gonna have to buy some DE just to use for Dark Heresy. Not that that's a bad thing.

SJ on
  • Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    completely off topic but i just witnessed THE GREATEST MULLET EVER! im laughing so hard im crying.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    SJ wrote: »
    Fuck, I'm gonna have to buy some DE just to use for Dark Heresy. Not that that's a bad thing.

I bought some marines just for Deathwatch so don't feel so bad

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit Dark Eldar!

Specifically, pictures of the new Mandrakes, Hellions, Ravager and Urien Rakarth. Who seems to have a servo-harness made out of actual arms.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Holy shit Dark Eldar!

Specifically, pictures of the new Mandrakes, Hellions, Ravager and Urien Rakarth. Who seems to have a servo-harness made out of actual arms.

As awesome as everything is, I think I'm honestly most impressed with the Kabalite Warriors and the Raider.

SJ on
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    completely off topic but i just witnessed THE GREATEST MULLET EVER! im laughing so hard im crying.

For this, we'll need pics!!

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

For this, we'll need pics!!

Mullet-Sizes.jpg

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Eh, that's not so great.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Really really good stuff there.

Svenska on
    Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just had a sneaky look at the DE codex. Looks to be quite 'anti-nid'; lots of poisoned weapons and 'remove target model from the table' wargear. Obviously the usual slew of crazy special characters; including some woman who is completely immune to psychic powers. Hellions actually look kinda cool and can pull enemy independent characters out of a combat when they hit and run. Talos is still slow as fuck.

Everything is pretty pricey though, looks like a fun book either way.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Time to start taking cell phone pics halos.

You can't just come in here all "hey guyz I luked at it!"

:P

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
This discussion has been closed.