As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Race for the Galaxy!

real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Critical Failures
I love Race for the Galaxy (RFTG) to a ridiculous degree. The expansions to the game add a whole lot to it (it feels very weird playing without them), and it's just a very well put together game in terms of balance and that sort of thing. Every game of Race feels like a totally new game. My friend, who I often play Magic with, described a game of RFTG as "like a new Magic draft every time you play," in the sense that you are crafting your tableau over the course of the game.

You can play online for free, although it doesn't have the most recent expansion (which sadly I haven't gotten to play yet).

What are your favorite cards? What are your favorite strategies? Post about any memorable games or that sort of thing.

The best game of RFTG I ever had, I got to use the trade consume/produce strategy. This screenshot pretty much says it all, but the concept is that you need cards that let you discard for VP (there are exactly 4 in the first 3 expansions), and a way to get a lot of cards from trading (Trade League obviously helps a lot here). In this screen shot, I was able to trade for 16 cards, I believe. Yeah, I won that game (here's the final board state).

I recently had a game where the final turn was the most difficult decision I've ever had to make in any game of RFTG. It felt like someone had designed a RFTG "puzzler." As such, I'll put it to you. Here's the screenshot. Our opponent, who has played a pretty standard military tableau but had to spend a couple turns exploring, giving us a chance back in the game, picked develop and settle. If it matters, there is one other goal left unfulfilled (not displayed in the screenshot), which is the one of each phase goal. Our opponent only has cards with powers in 3 of the 5 phases (not explore or produce).

What is the correct play?

real_pochacco on