As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Under ([Chat]) Pressure

ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito!Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Unnnnghhhh oh no I have responsibilities on this internet forum now what if I fuck it up

"Under Pressure" is a 1981 song recorded by Queen and David Bowie. It marked Bowie's first released collaboration with another recording artist as a performer, and is featured on Queen's 1982 album Hot Space. The song reached #1 on the UK Singles Chart. It was also number 31 on VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the '80s.

Under Pressure

Pressure also has beneficial uses though! Like making diamonds!
There are several methods used to produce synthetic diamond. The original method uses high pressure and high temperature (HPHT) and is still widely used because of its relatively low cost.

In the HPHT method, there are three main press designs used to supply the pressure and temperature necessary to produce synthetic diamond: the belt press, the cubic press and the split-sphere (BARS) press.

The original GE invention by Tracy Hall uses the belt press wherein the upper and lower anvils supply the pressure load to a cylindrical inner cell. This internal pressure is confined radially by a belt of pre-stressed steel bands. The anvils also serve as electrodes providing electrical current to the compressed cell. A variation of the belt press uses hydraulic pressure, rather than steel belts, to confine the internal pressure.[37] Belt presses are still used today, but they are built on a much larger scale than those of the original design.[38]

The second type of press design is the cubic press. A cubic press has six anvils which provide pressure simultaneously onto all faces of a cube-shaped volume.[39] The first multi-anvil press design was a tetrahedral press, using four anvils to converge upon a tetrahedron-shaped volume.[40] The cubic press was created shortly thereafter to increase the volume to which pressure could be applied. A cubic press is typically smaller than a belt press and can more rapidly achieve the pressure and temperature necessary to create synthetic diamond. However, cubic presses cannot be easily scaled up to larger volumes: the pressurized volume can be increased by using larger anvils, but this also increases the amount of force needed on the anvils to achieve the same pressure. An alternative is to decrease the surface area to volume ratio of the pressurized volume, by using more anvils to converge upon a higher-order platonic solid, such as a dodecahedron. However, such a press would be complex and difficult to manufacture.[39]
A schematic drawing of a vertical cross-section through a BARS press: the synthesis capsule is surrounded by four tungsten carbide inner anvils. Those inner anvils are compressed by four outer steel anvils. The outer anvils are held a disk barrel and are immersed in oil. A rubber diaphragm is placed between the disk barrel and the outer anvils to prevent oil from leaking
Schematic of a BARS system; the size of the outer barrel is reduced for presentation purposes

The BARS apparatus is the most compact, efficient, and economical of all the diamond-producing presses. In the center of a BARS device, there is a ceramic cylindrical "synthesis capsule" of about 2 cm3 in size. The cell is placed into a cube of pressure-transmitting material, such as pyrophyllite ceramics, which is pressed by inner anvils made from cemented carbide (e.g., tungsten carbide or VK10 hard alloy).[41] The outer octahedral cavity is pressed by 8 steel outer anvils. After mounting, the whole assembly is locked in a disc-type barrel with a diameter about 1 meter. The barrel is filled with oil, which pressurizes upon heating, and the oil pressure is transferred to the central cell. The synthesis capsule is heated up by a coaxial graphite heater and the temperature is measured with a thermocouple.[42]

This is a cool book about making diamonds!

0010a3ba_medium.jpeg

Diamonds can also do cool things to light!
Diamond has remarkable optical characteristics. Because of its extremely rigid lattice, it can be contaminated by very few types of impurities, such as boron and nitrogen. Combined with wide transparency, this results in the clear, colorless appearance of most natural diamonds. Small amounts of defects or impurities (about one per million of lattice atoms) color diamond blue (boron), yellow (nitrogen), brown (lattice defects), green, purple, pink, orange or red. Diamond also has relatively high optical dispersion, that is ability to disperse light of different colors, which results in its characteristic luster. Excellent optical and mechanical properties, combined with efficient marketing, make diamond the most popular gemstone.

Arch on

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So when "time is relative," it is not external time, but internal time - the photon experiences zero time in any given journey, while the rest of the universe experiences the elapsed time of that journey?

How does this work re: relativistic reciprocity, by which I mean that from the frame of reference of the photon, it is stationary and the entire universe is moving past it at c?

Find a copy of the Feynman lectures on physics. Especially the series labled "Six Not So Easy Pieces". Maybe spend a little time beforehand refreshing yourself on high-school level trig and vector math (because he goes rather fast).

It's all there in the math. Sometimes, often times with any physics done in the last 100 years, there is no intuitive "picture" to go along. Sometimes the analogies never quite work. Regretfully, common sense is not a valid means of determening the truth or falsehood of a scientific theory because common sense is based on human experience and these theories are dealing with things outside the realms of experience.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    An OP beyond just a youtube video. I approve.

Thomamelas on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    a photon can't not be traveling at the speed of light.

...through a vacuum...

No, that is a misunderstanding. A photon always travels at the speed of light.

Inside a material it tends to bounce around a bit, so it takes longer to get from one end to the other.

i don't think that's right mojo. there's something somehow magical about light in media.

otherwise cherenkov radiation wouldn't be a thing.

It's something that is easy to understand in terms of waves (due to group and phase velocity), but less so for particles. You can't have photos slowing down as such, so the picture you need is that they travel along a longer path.

And it's how Cerenkov radiation does make sense.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jesus arch that took you so long I thought you fell in a toilet.

Also what the f video are they talking about in that stupid soon to be locked thread?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I really want to try this Nasus guy whenever we get around to playing LoL

Nerdgasmic on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The diamond industry has got to be one of the most awful industries on the planet.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    God finally...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Also what the f video are they talking about in that stupid soon to be locked thread?
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/mega64/103/

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got 99 problems but a topic ain't one.

WMain00 on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Huh.

Grabbed The World Is Bigger Now today, by Euna Lee- the other journalist held in North Korea last year- apparently she was one of the Tech TV people that G4 ate at the merge.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Vanilla Ice's greatest crime was cannibalizing that bass line.

Kilroy on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What Rivs said in that one thread. I think it is in fact over

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Can I be Dave's Bro.
    Are you taller than Inqi?

Actually, we should get a short person to be Dave, and then Inqi can be Dave's Bro.

Then we need ladies for Rose, Jade, and Rose's mother.

Frankie should be Rose's mother!

How tall is Inquisitor?

Sarksus on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »

TMNT

nexuscrawler on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I didn't see that I had to do this for a second

Arch on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hate when people 1-post something then run away scared.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

It is dead, but I suspect it will not lie down.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Irond Will wrote:
    yeah it's pretty much a fedora.

my principle on cosplay i guess is that i would be willing to do it if it meant that i didn't have to be dressed in an especially unusual fashion

so john's dad sounds like it's about my speed.
    I figured as much.

I think my sister could pull off Rose, actually.

Any chance you could get Frankie to go as Rose's mother? That's a pretty un-elaborate costume too, pretty much just a nice dress with the long pink scarf and a martini glass.

If that works out, then we have:

John: me!
    Rose: my sister
    Dave: ????
    Jade: ????
    John's Dad: Will
    Rose's Mother: Frankie
    Dave's Bro: Inqi
    Jade's Grandfather: ????

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I seem to remember at least one identical thread (same topic, also a new poster etc...) a while back. Maybe two, my memory is a bit fuzzy.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Were Mega64 trying to be funny?

Because they failed.

HARD.

WMain00 on
    edited October 2010
    Like if I see anyone post in there again for any reason I will lose all faith in humanity

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, the drunk driving H/A thread is causing some serious rage...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arch are you happy with the work you've put into this OP

are you

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Arch wrote: »

I didn't see that I had to do this for a second

You have failed in your life as a chatter, as a human being, as someone who lets people cum on their face. YOU FAIL SIR GOOD DAY!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yeah that was meant as a nihilistic "Good luck convincing terrible people to not be terrible" post instead of the "I've got it as bad as you" vibe that it actually had in the bad thread.

kaleedity on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    a photon can't not be traveling at the speed of light.

...through a vacuum...

No, that is a misunderstanding. A photon always travels at the speed of light.

Inside a material it tends to bounce around a bit, so it takes longer to get from one end to the other.

i don't think that's right mojo. there's something somehow magical about light in media.

otherwise cherenkov radiation wouldn't be a thing.

It's something that is easy to understand in terms of waves (due to group and phase velocity), but less so for particles. You can't have photos slowing down as such, so the picture you need is that they travel along a longer path.

And it's how Cerenkov radiation does make sense.

From how I understand it is that in something denser like diamond, the photons collide with other particles, and while they don't have mass per se, they still take longer to go through the material, and thus if you shone a light through a diamond and next to it, technically the light path THROUGH the diamond would take longer to reach the other side than the other one

Arch on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I still know all the words to Ice Ice Baby.

That shit is burned in my memory forever.

If I ever get Alzheimers I'll forget my own name before I forget that "poisonous mushroom" rhymes with "speaker that booms"

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I almost want an excuse to smack Plain Girl for schematizing "post-op transfolk" as a group.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Were Mega64 trying to be funny?

Because they failed.

HARD.
    Did you watch the end? Because I laughed at the end.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

TMNT

I rate atrocities differently than crimes.

Kilroy on
    edited October 2010
    I still know all the words to Ice Ice Baby.

That shit is burned in my memory forever.

If I ever get Alzheimers I'll forget my own name before I forget that "poisonous mushroom" rhymes with "speaker that booms"

For me its the theme to giligans island. I'll always remember that.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    VH, jade's guardian is the dog, not her grandfather

Nerdgasmic on
    edited October 2010

TMNT

I rate atrocities differently than crimes.
    It wasn't taking it that was bad, it was pretending he'd come up with it on his own.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

and now there is an opening for a really bad joke

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Will needs to be the dog.

Sarksus on
    edited October 2010
    That's assuming I don't end up with proactive interference from Mama Said Knock You Out.

Feral on

edited October 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

I almost want an excuse to smack Plain Girl for schematizing "post-op transfolk" as a group.

I'm not sure what you're saying but I reflexively agree

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sometimes I wonder what prompts people to make a random forums account just for one topic that they are personally super mad about. Like, they have not spent enough time on the internet to realize that this is a Bad Idea, yet somehow are competent enough to make an account in the first place.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, well, I'm going with the grandfather anyway, because cosplaying a dog complicates things too much.

Frankly, I'd be happy just to have me and my sister as John and Rose and have Will and Frankie as John's Dad and Rose's Mother.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.