As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OOC [Dark Sun] Shattered Lands

feeddannowfeeddannow Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Critical Failures
This place is reserved for the Out-Of-Character discussion and chit-chatting and subversive plotting against the DM for the campaign "Shattered Lands" that we will be playing here on the Penny-Arcade boards. Here is an ideal place for any questions about the game, the setting, the rules, the house rules, and anything else you should know in order to better play the game..

It's also a good place to let people know when you won't be around... or to just kibitz with the other players. I ask only one thing - keep it friendly. This is a game - and this forum is a place where people come to enjoy their games... So just keep that in mind.

Here's who we have playing what their forum name is and what they are playing (This place to change as I get different reports)

Dan (FeedDanNow) - The friendly neighborhood DM

Erik ( IDunnoyet) - Matalihutl, the average joe.
Mia (Mendokusai) - Coaxoch, the layabout Elf and her snake.
Topher (Aureus Grey) - Aureus Grey, Mr. Knifey McStab.
Rhieley (Rhie) - Kabocha, A one-lady brute-squad
James (J-Bot) - Mahzz, the young sorcerer finding his way.
Aniket (Aniket) - Remus, A Mysterious Agent working with Aureus.
Nick (Zombie_Lord_Demus) - Cha'Ka Chkit, the bad-ass bugman.
David (DavidalBarron) - Chet Olmec, the square-jawed.
Kat (Kiplingskat) -Teoxihuitle, A spaced out shaman of the desert
Patrick (IDunnoYet) - Neelob, the tribal halfling berserker

Read on below to see a primer on how I expect to use the forum to play the game.

Edit: To add the new names of the people that have just joined at the last moment. Note that this brings the team to a full 10 players... expect party splits. It's always a good idea to split the party!

feeddannow on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    How to act in-character:

Basically, you can use whatever style of narrative you care to utilize to show your character's actions. Some of you are pretty accomplished writers, and some of you aren't. The key is to be consistent. You want someone to start reading your post and immediately think of your character. If you always write in a first-person narrative, that's fine - if you do it third person, that's fine too.

Don't step on other people's toes - that is to say, you control your character completely - but you don't narrate others... unless they've signalled what they are about to do and you're just continuing that on for them. You wouldn't want me to put words in your mouth - expect that others wouldn't like you to do it to them either.

Be creative, and don't fret. Nobody's here to judge you on your writing prowess - I'm pretty sure its the first time that half of you have ever played by post.... you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

This forum has some pretty powerful tools you can use to help format your post... All of which are visible when you choose to "Go to advanced mode" instead of using a quick reply. Most of these shall be self explanatory for anyone who has used Microsoft word. Of special interest to us though is the spoiler tag.
    Anything in between the spoiler tag is hidden from regular view until someone clicks the button, revealing the spoiler. This is a great way to hide unsightly dice rolls, hit-point updates, and the like. Please make use of this to help A)Keep the post sizes smaller and B) keep things tidy.

You can make use of more than one spoiler in a given post.... and for DM posts, it's likely that if there's something that really only pertains to a certain character or characters, that they will get their info in a spoiler with their name over it:

Chet Olmec:
    You have noticed that someone or something is hiding in the dune near Matt, it doesn't seem hostile at the moment, but it's obvious that Matt hasn't noticed yet.

Other than that I will leave it to you to find a style that best fits your own groove.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    DavidalBarronDavidalBarron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Chet Olmec casually slips a bola out of his belt and loops it around his hand. He remains quiet, letting Matt prove his heroism but ready to intervene if things go awry.
    Standard: Ready a ranged basic attack with the bola if the someone or something makes a hostile move - Attack 1d20+8, Damage 1d4+2, Effect: Target is Slowed

If the something attacks, Chet shouts "Watch out, Matt!" and flings his bola at the creature's legs.

###

Hello folk, I'm David! I'll be playing Chet Olmec as soon as Dan hands me the sheet.

That's just a sample post taking off from Dan's sample DM message, obviously, but you get the idea. Once we figure out how we're going to do dice rolls I would add in a pre-rolled Attack and Damage up there to save time. I used an If-statement to keep forum things moving in case I can't update quickly as everything happens. I gave Chet's words a text color, just to distinguish him.

My PbP thoughts: To keep the game running smoothly, every IC post should reveal character, advance the plot and deal with the rules. So, "How do you feel?" and "What do you do?" and "What dice do you roll?". For bonus points, you can add in "What would you do?" and a possible situation. In the event that it comes up, you've sped up the game.

DavidalBarron on
    Murphy Fogg, psioniCat and his thrall Edwin Cocalas, wizard

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    Zombie_Lord_DemusZombie_Lord_Demus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Boo-yah :!::!::!:
    I am learning how to use stuff... yay fer me.

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A Fun Test for all of my little players out there who REALLY to make their DM happy.

Everyone should reply to this post with the following:

1) An in-character answer to the following situation:

It has been several days since you lost sight of the caravan you were a part of. Separated after the terrible siltstorm that whipped over everything, muddling your sense of direction and sending you and most of everything you owned scattered over the dunes. You managed to save one precious thing to you, something that has helped you go on... what was it?

2) A number from 1-10

3) An out-of-character response to the following:

What do you want most out of a roleplaying game and what do you look forward to the most in this game?

Why am I doing this?
    The in-character response is just a way for us all to get a feel for your character, his or her motivations, and your style of writing.

The random 1-10 number will be something that determines something, don't worry your pretty little heads about it

The out of character response helps me tailor this game to give everyone a little bit of what they look forward to and make the game better.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    Aureus GreyAureus Grey Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Figured I'd pop on here and make my presence known. This is fun. It will be first time playing in this format.

Now let me try this out...
    The sleeper has awakened!

Aureus Grey on
  • Options
    Aureus GreyAureus Grey Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    1)
    Pulling himself free of the silt and sand, Aureus saw that his pack had been torn asunder and all the contents hopelessly lost. He brushed away excess sand and scanned the horizon all around him. Glare from the sun and the sting in his eyes from the siltstorm prevented any real means of immediately determining where he was or what direction he was traveling. He could feel the heat of the sun beating down on his bald pate, threatening to burn and bake his scalp. He reached down to his waist, giving a silent prayer to powers he didn't even believe in that the storm had left him something of value. His mantle and tunic had been ripped apart in the storm, but the deep red sash he wore wrapped around his waist was still in place.

A square meter of fabric that was rumored to be from his father's people, Aureus quickly unwrapped the sash from his waist and fashioned it about his head and shoulders as a makeshift hood. The sash seemed woven from a thicker material than common cloth or linen, and was woven in such a way that variances in the dye became intricate patterns upon close inspection. Sometimes the patterns served Aureus as a focal point, something to meditate on in times of rest and introspection. It was as though this simple cloth could contain something of his father's lineage that would make sense to him. Other times the deep red color of the cloth heightened and accented the deadly intent of Aureus' missions or travels.

Through it all, though, the square of fabric was a tool. It shaded Aureus from the harsh sun, served as a sack for carrying things, could be wrapped around his waist as a sash with lockpicks or knives hidden in its folds. Aureus had even used it to defend himself, tying a portion of it into a knot or wrapping it around a skull or stone and whipping it like a flail.

With his head covered and eyes shaded, Aureus could begin to make out the shape of the mountains on the horizon. With renewed determination he began to walk. He would endure.

2) Seven

3) I like taking part in the shared storytelling experience as well as the chance to meet new people. I like seeing both characters and story evolve and grow over time and I enjoy contributing to the whole shebang.

I also look forward to building an awesome character who gets to adventure alongside other awesome characters. And stab things.

Aureus Grey on
  • Options
    aniketaniket Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hi everyone,

I am Aniket, and I am alive. I'm going to play Remus, the mysterious and infamous assassin / thief of Draj.

About Dan's questions:

1. "Meet my self-made, custom hand-crossbow, Mimzy!"

2. 7. Outside the limitations, 13.

3. There is no easy answer to this, but if I had to summarize, I'd say the most I want to experience in a RPG is to experience the story and live it as if I was there (as I cannot live in a fantastic world in real life), and doing stuff I cannot do in real life. That doesn't mean eating babies. Heroic stuff. That's the reason most of my characters turn out to be Chaotic Good / Chaotic Neutral.

Living in an epic story, even as an NPC- there is nothing cooler than that.

What I want most out of this game? I want to know the players and the characters. At the moment I know very few people who are as crazy as me, and love DnD. So far, I've met Topher and he fits the bill. And I want to experience teamplay. Having friends who always watch your back is good. Even if it is in fantasy.

aniket on
    "In peace, vigilance. In war, victory. In death, sacrifice."
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A figure trudges through the desert, the shades of exhaustion swirling around the solid core of his determination. The claws of agony drag the man down to his knees on a dune-sand lip, and he sways in the harsh sunlight. With the barest of moans he falls into unconsciousness, tumbling down into the shade of the dune. The impact knocks a large green gem out of the man's tight grip.

Chet Olmec's eyes spring open and he lunges for the gem with a roar, grabbing it and staring at his reflection in the facets. The last remnant of nobility in his degradation, the symbol of his status as a Templar, the proof of continued favor from on high despite the treachery of his enemies. Chet stands up and raises the gem into the air between both hands.

"God-King, Great Divine One, Lord Tectuktitlay, Father of the Jaguar and Keeper of the Feathered Serpent, King of the Two-Moons and the lands of Draj: Hear your loyal servant! I know Your Will: I will be avenged, and I shall dedicate your enemies as a sacrifice to you!"

With another mighty roar, anger dispelling exhaustion and hunger for revenge pushing aside any mere physical need, the Templar of Draj charges into the desert toward his destiny.

###

What I want most out of a game is a good, collaborative story and some interesting, meaningful combat. I personally enjoy playing nuanced characters. I really look forward to roleplaying an emotional warrior embedded in a brutal society and driven by a quest for revenge in a deadly game of stylized violence and court intrigue. I also would like to see how the rest of the characters react to all that. Above all, though, I love this Arenas & Aztecs sub-genre we've discovered.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    MendokusaiMendokusai Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    1)
    She couldn’t believe she had let her guard down enough to miss the signs of the coming silt storm. A few pints of ale, alright perhaps it had been more than a few, but regardless - the liquor shouldn’t have been enough to dull her senses to the point of ignoring a coming silt storm! She had been careless…

With the wind and sand whipping about, she had managed to find a large stone outcrop near the dunes. It was embarrassing to think of all that would be lost – the food, the weapons, whatever had been in the crates, especially the water. If she could have had even a few seconds just to secure the rations, or to find her satchel… Whatever. It was no use worrying about it now; at least there was no one here to witness her mistake.

It was then she noticed Crowley fighting his way around the stone. The serpent usually had no trouble maneuvering in the storms – a small twinge of fear struck her belly at the thought a broken wing, or worse… wait – was he dragging something?

Bless the serpent and all his scaled glory! Pulling the snake into the relative cover provided by the stone, she quickly donned the thin obsidian lenses. Passed down from her grandmother, the lenses were a luxury that few possessed – and sentimental item that was rare for her people. Finding the black glass that was strong enough to withstand the storm, yet clear enough to allow one to see was nearly an impossible trick. To think she had almost lost them… Giving the snake a wide smile, Coaxoch checked the knot of the lenses once more before diving into the storm. Now that she could at least see what it was her hands found in the sand, there was hope of salvaging something useful before it was buried in the silt forever.

2) 5 – right in the middle so I don’t have to think about choosing a high or low number…

3) I love roleplaying!! Getting to act and speak as someone else is just damned entertaining. I just want the opportunity for some combined creativity and a nice escape from the doldrums of daily routine – and what better way to spice up the day than battling horrific monsters in an alien world?
    Boo to the ya!

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    aniketaniket Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok, I messed up. D: I thought Dan was asking my character what he'd keep, as in, directly asking HIM. I will re-submit the first answer later this evening after I get back from my exam.

Sorry folks.

aniket on
    "In peace, vigilance. In war, victory. In death, sacrifice."
  • Options
    RhieRhie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Urg...eina...hoofpyn. Another battle? ... No. No blood. *snort* Soft-sand!? *sneeze-snort* Fok! 'N storm. Hope the mense and other kleintjies were not dead. I should find them before something sleg does.

Rolling deftly to her feet, Kabocha proceeds to stretch out the tight and battered muscles adorning her large frame. Careful to check that she could still fight, or run, as needed.

Wind-verdoem duiwel land. It was om hot. Why the brose kleintjies would live here is confusing. Why have I bothered to stay in this woeste? No matter. We are "on the move" I have been told. Though I don't ken what we're riding. Silly woorde from silly kleintjies. No gevaar right now. But if I need to fight? Verdammde wapen must be buried. Fok. If it is only kleintjies, I am safe. Hope for mense, they might take me with to protect them, keep them veilig. Give me a new wapen.

Though not particularly pleased with the turn of events, she is without serious injury and is grateful she won't be dying just yet. Craning her neck, she hopes to see variations in the wastes that surround her. A glint or smoke to indicate travelers or darknesses to indicate shade. Either being welcome, neither being found.
    An old one had once told her to sniff her way home should she find trouble, and, seeing no particularly better alternative, huffed the air to choose a direction. Kabocha proceeded towards a scent she thought was different than that of overwhelming dryness. Though willing to try this odd technique alone, she'd find herself dead before making such an ass of herself in front of those pateties kleintjies.

Could be pret to reis alone again. It's been too long. I might start thinking like a groep dier. Not able to watch my own boude. Die fok?...

Having bashed her foot and cursing her dulled senses and the pain, Kabocha reaches down to pull a small rectangular object from the sand.

It's back. The vervleokte thing is back! Can't leave it. Some of the kleintjies can likely trace it to me. Then I'll be dead. No matter I can't lees the thing. It means death and it's found me three times now. This will be my straf. Might as well stop running from it.

It was knowledge, and you don't destroy knowledge, even if it isn't yours and you can't use it. But if she doesn't destroy it, it is bound to destroy her. As she loosed some straps to give it a place to hide, a brief gust of wind flipped it open and caused some pages to flutter before being slammed shut with a growl from it's reluctant keeper.

2) 3

3) I want something to do that involves other people. I also want to sit down and fully play out one of these "rpg's" all the kids are going on about so I'll finally know what the blast I'm doing when asked to start playing one.
    I'm looking forward to the bribery and proxy bribery.
    If anyone needs help getting a bribe (or other "communications") distributed to our fair and not-out-to-get-people DM, please let me know. I can touch him or his apartment most days a week.

Rhie on
  • Options
    J-BotJ-Bot Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    J-Bot (Jim) here. I'll be playing the role of Mahzz Drayzen. Some of you have probably read the backstory, and know a little about him. He is a character driven by his elder's teachings, and the need to avenge his tribe. He's emotional, gruff at times having grown up in the harsh desert environment, and he is driven more by passion than logic. But he's still one of the good guys, even if he does get pissed off, and feeds off the land to help him nuke whatever pissed him off. He doesn't want to see innocents suffer. He has a strong sense of what is right, albeit a naivete.

When it comes to dice rolls, I will be using them of course for your typical things such as skill usage, damage, etc. etc. etc. And certain key decisions which I may roll against my wisdom score to make my decision how I'll act. (keeping it cool versus flying into an emotional rage, and trying to nuke whatever caused his rage, and possibly bringing the party into a dire situation)

I may not show every single dice roll I make. My goal here is to see that the story stays interesting. I've had a few years of experience doing play-by-forum from my old mudding days. Believe me, I know when and how to take a hit, how to make things a close call, and how to react to a multitude of situations. If, or rather -when- I do cheat, it will be to keep things moving, and as Dan seems to like to say....AWESOME! However, I will use the dice to direct me in which direction things will happen.

Here's an example of a crit-fail that might spice things up:

The party embroiled in combat, Mahzz gathers up power, focusing to limit the amount of defilement, he attempts to discharge a lightning bolt at a group of templars in front of the group, hoping to hit several of them. (roll dice) One of the templars moves aside at the last minute (Oh yeah!, crit-fail baby!) The lightning bold bounces off a wall behind the templar, and ricochets back against another angled wall. The bolt flys upward and into a shop window. A large explosion erupts from the shop, blasting out the windows, and sending flaming debris flying down toward the ground around the party. Flames erupt from the roof, and large bells start ringing about the area. The young sorcerer winces at the situation, running a hand over his face as a piece of debris narrowly missing him, and recommends getting the hell outta there.

1) Mahzz rises from the ground, coughing up dust and sneezing as the grit settles in his nose. He shakes his head, trying right his senses and shake the excess sand from his hair. He looks around at the waste left by the storm. The caravan long lost, and no tracks to be found, Mahzz looks around hoping to find any remnants to help him on.

Then, remembering, he hurriedly searches his clothes, patting himself down, searching for that ever-important scrap of parchment. His heart sinks, and he feels his blood drain, he can't find it. Mahzz searches through the dust, scraping sand, fingers starting to bleed at his zealous, frantic, hopeless search for that last bit of hope.

Muttering to himself, "Damn the raiders, Damn the god-kings, damn this whole blasted world!" Mahzz lets his rage build, letting power fill him. The land near him blackens, feeding his power. Finally, in frustration, the young sorcerer shrieks, and expels his power, sending an energy bolt into the dunes, blasting sand, and generally making a further mess of things.

Breathless, the sorcerer drops to his knees, his rage expended. He sees movement out the corner of his eyes. He coughs once in the newly dust filled air, and scrambles over to a small scrap of parchment unearthed in the blast: A scrap of parchment with the sigil of a raider group. The raiders that Mahzz so hungers to wreak vengeance upon.

Mahzz gingerly tucks the scrap into his robes and slowly rises to his feet again, still a little shaken from the careless and emotional release of power. With a quirky half-grin on his face, he starts off, one foot in front of the other. His legs drive him onward, the will of his tribe drives him onward. The suns hang low in the sky as he lumbers onward in the last direction he feels the caravan went. The air stirs, and the dust clears. Looming on the horizon, silhouetted against the dusk sky is a city. Draj.

2) 1 (Crit fail DOH!)

3) I step into the shoes and emotions of my characters. I become them, and I become a part of the story. I follow the plots and twists and turns through my characters eyes and ears. I look forward to having a damn good time!

J-Bot on
    "For art to appear, you must disappear." ~ Stephen Nachmanovitch
    Aedril character sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=889486
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    aniket wrote: »
    Ok, I messed up. D: I thought Dan was asking my character what he'd keep, as in, directly asking HIM. I will re-submit the first answer later this evening after I get back from my exam.

Sorry folks.

It's no worries, Aniket - we're all learning together! Do me a favor though, and EDIT the post you already made instead of making a new post. You can do that pretty simply by pressing the edit button under the post in question.
    Also... Mimzy? Naming your weapons is only cool when it's a sexy girl's name. Haven't you learned anything from the Movies?

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Now that a lot of us players have found this place, we can start working on linking.

Since we're starting in the Arena, I assume we're starting in media res, which is Latin for "up to our elbows". So we PCs could probably save time by figuring out how we know each other. I know that Chet Olmec and Matt (Erik's character) are linked already, so let's start there. How do you know us?

Alternatively, if the first Arena fight is a battle royale it'll all just be explained as a team coming together in the Brownian motion of chaos.

edit1: Chet and Matt being Draj Warrior Nobility descending into the Arena for HONOR!

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    AmusingSNAmusingSN Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    1)

The siltstorm had taken everything from Matalihutl, everything except the beaded head-dress he held in his white-knuckled grip. Five feathers were affixed to it. The fine polished beadwork was an indication of his noble station, and each colorful feather was a symbol of a great personal victory against enemies of his House and God.

Matt frowned as the shadow of the storm gave way to the blistering light of the wasteland at midday. He skittered beneath a rocky outcropping, taking shelter in what little shade he could find. He was not a seasoned wasteland native. His companions had told him if he ever found himself stranded, he should take shelter and wait for rescue. He trusted that they would find him.

He placed his beaded head-dress atop what appeared to be the leg bone of the last creature to take shelter here, and crawled out into the oven-blasted hell long enough to perch it atop the outcropping. The head-dress was visible as a splash of color against the baked tan of the desert. He retreated once more into the shade to conserve his strength. He wondered who would spot his marker first -- his friends, or the wasteland savages that had been shadowing the caravan for days.

"Father, send me my companions if it is your will that I live. Otherwise, send me your worst, so that I may end in glory. I refuse to die a wasting death!" He bit his tongue and spit blood, sealing his prayer with a sacrifice he hoped would please his God.

2)

I choose 9!

3)

I like to entertain my friends with quirky characters. I like to be entertained by doing so in front of a backdrop of combat, intrigue, and adventure. I'll provide the quirky character, Dan, you need to provide the backdrop.

I also enjoy having my character be a part of the setting, instead of just some guy who finds mysterious railroad tracks leading from an inn toward a monster-infested network of caves. When confronted by these proverbial railroad tracks, I will be the one in the group who refuses to follow them because my character has his own non-locomotive-related goals.

From this game I want six things

I. Fun times
    II. Aztecs
    III. To convince you all that I'm the most awesomest role-player ever
    IV. More Aztecs
    V. To justify human sacrifice, slavery, and the conquest and slaughter of all who oppose us as behavior suited to a "Lawful Good" character. (yay Dark Sun).
    And finally ...
    VI. Aztecs

AmusingSN on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In response to David's response, All I can say is that my character was bound and tossed in a cell with some or all of the rest of you with the sack still tied over his head.

I'll let you decide which one of you wants to be the one to unbind him and whatnot. (or if nobody wants to touch him at all lol, in which case, he'll just use sorcery to undo his binds)

Either way, he doesn't trust anyone, and speaks guardedly. He has erected a shell around himself, and breaking through to gain his trust will not be an easy task. After all of the events leading up to this point, he's pretty much set in a one-track-mind sorta outlook. He would state that he allowed himself to be captured so he could eventually kill the raiders and/or their leader who were also captured at some point.

That's all I got for now.

J-Bot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mahzz (James)
    Chet might be able to overcome his distaste for Mahzz's magic villainy thanks to a basic empathy with the revenge goal and emotionally-driven action.

Coaxoch (Mia)
    Chet finds the elf woman's shifty laziness offensive and so will direct all conversation through his new friend and ally Crowley the Flying Snake.

Aureus (Topher) and Remus (Aniket)
    A pre-existing pair, they're the Belkar Squad and Chet likes to have a few Chaotic Neutral skirmishers around in battle because they're unpredictable and you don't have to feel too bad when they get sacrificed.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If it was not previously noticed, Kabocha is having a rough time with the language. She asked for some advice when she got into town and wound up "volunteering" for the arena while her Samaritan wandered home with some funds. After completing her contract period, Kabocha decided to stay on under her own volition.
    Most people shy away from Kabocha but will recognize her on sight (as her huge form is hard to miss).

Willing to work with anyone who's proven themselves in battle. Though she's none too keen on those smooth-talkers after her arrival. Would probably do well with someone she felt like she was helping or protecting (like a squishy). Or if someone had shown impressive levels of valor.

Rhie on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    1)
    Cha'Ka Chkit awakes from his slumber as the spirits take part the make shift camp. With the bitter cold settling in for the night he prays to the elemental spirits to help him find food and material components needed to sacrifice for his primal magic. All the while his smaller hands are clutching the mummified left hand of an enemy long ago.

The human hand blackened, shriveled, and in a terrifying claw pose. Oddly it has a faint smell of spices and rose petals and has a waxy feel. It is an old token from a life that he hasn't lived in years, a caged animal waiting to die. But this token does bring him comfort as a trophy kill that he wishes he could do again.

He transforms into a Dagorran and beings his hunt into the bleak night. Hours pass by in the frigid night as he runs to keep himself warm. When it feels like another night of hunger shall befall him, he spots a fire in the distance.
    "Spirits bless me, food on two legs shall feed me for weeks."

2) 6 (could be 6 good things or 6 Horrible things or 6 things I'd kill for or 6 things that i have killed)

3) Why I play RPGs: Socializing, Making good use of my imagination, and shear enjoyment.
    What do I expect from this game: Aztecs, Brutality of the Dark Sun world, Meeting niffty people like yourselves and bacon...... MMmmm MMmmm Good.

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sounds good on all fronts. I'm thinking going Eladrin, but I'm not sold on it yet. Also, haven't hunkered down on building the character yet. Might end up working with Dan on that front. The basis for Eladrin would be that his parents' home was destroyed by the defilement, and so ended up as vagabonds, eventually joining with a tribe, pretending to be elves. Mahzz would have been born after that point. The Elder who was teaching Mahzz after his powers manifested could have been a member, or at least in contact with the Veiled Alliance, which may have been a different reason for the raid on the tribe, but that's a different thing all together, and probably a tale or quest for another time.

J-Bot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh, what's the point of a magical flying snake if he can't talk! How do you get the wishes when you finally catch him? I'm very disappointed.

I think Chet will get along much better with Kabocha (Rhieley). He respects anybody who volunteers to fight, especially when they refuse the pay and fight for Honor.

Cha'Ka Chkit is a mystery to Chet, but if he gets to know him the "slave stands and fights his master" story will get Chet's admiration. A mark against Cha'Ka is all this elemental stuff, but assuming that Cha'Ka isn't affiliated with the Draj variety of elemental temples, Chet can get over that. The bug guy seems to like brutality, so they'll get along just fine.

edit: Dark Sun has Eladrin? Huh.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Matalihutl already has a connection with Chet.

He may have bumped into any of the characters who have been around the city for a while. He works alongside the templars in maintaining order, though he's not nearly as pointedly vicious as most -- he's also unfortunately incorruptible.

Any outsiders or barbarians would likely not be known to him, unless they have been in the city for some time.

Also, though he's a very good man, Matt's views on the world and how it works will seem pretty damn shady to those of us who have been raised to believe in enlightened democratic capitalism.

AmusingSN on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well well, what do we have here. Free communication between my players! I should stick my head in before you lot start having .... shudder .... fun.
    Looks like I have a pretty good feel for where you want your characters to be coming from, and I am very - VERY - pleased to see everyone making use of this forum and the Wiki - we'll build this world up and make it our own, yet!
    We ARE still on course to begin play in the final week of October - I am working on character sheets now and preparing for your immediate slau.... your inescapable doo.... your first few encounters (combative and otherwise).

There will be a juicy bit of Wiki-editting coming throughout the days to come - so please do check it out (should be something new every day, is the plan).

I think David made mention about the presence of Eladrin in Athas, and yes, they do indeed exist -
    they are thought to be a dangerous, secretive race of enchanters and magicians - practicing forbidden magicks - tales of vanishing oases and invisible castles... well, that's probably not something most people waste away their days thinking about - but there are stories. In truth, the Eladrin are a rare people - in that, there are really few left. Since the changes in Athas - ages ago in times lost to history and to the sand - most Eladrin have sworn off arcane magic (Which they were really really good at) - instead turning to Psionics - and boy howdy are they ever so good at it, too. In fact, in the hidden away realms that they still hold dear - in secreted oases and rare green groves, practicing magic at all would be grounds for exile... such Eladrin make the rare adventurer- driven out from their homes for practicing forbidden magic. An Eladrin sorcerer would be a sad tale to be told, having to harness a power that came naturally and without asking in a society that has no tolerance at all for Magic... Take that into consideration if you want to play as an Eladrin.

Oh, and about those Numbers...

Everyone has chosen / randomly selected a number 1-10 and I think the list stands as such:

Aniket and Topher both chose 7
    You both gain the wild talent of Psionic Spark. Which lets you set things on fire that are A) flammable and B) not being carried by another creature as an at-will power that takes a minor action (within 25 feet).
    Nick took 6
    Nick, Chatka can make use of the Wild Talent, "Psionic Image" You can - in a close burst 5 - project the image of an object that you hold in your hand as an at-will power (minor action)
    James and David have 1
    You both gain "Body Equilibrium" which is an at-will power that takes a move action. Spending a move action in this way lets you move your speed - with a +5 to acrobatics to balance and avoid sinking when moving over silt, mud, dust or the like
    Erik went with 9
    Matt will be very popular in Aztec Football with his wild-talent, "Telekinetic Grasp". An at-will minor action that can manipulate an object that is A)Under 20 lbs B) not being carried already by another creature and C) Within 5 squares (25 feet).
    Mia is 5
    Coax was born with the at-will wild-talent of "Object Projection" which allows her to - as a minor action - to teleport an object she is holding in one hand to a place or a creature within 10 squares (50 feet)
    with Rhieley being 3.
    Allowing Kabocha to make use of the Wild-Talent "Know Direction". It's an at-will power that takes a minor action to activate - for an hour between activations she can always find north and gets a +2 to navigating natural terrain.

It's important to note that all of the above are "Psionic" in nature... almost anything that breathes (and somethings that don't) have a measure of psionics - and these shouldn't be too weird to have or be that noticeable... you can safely assume that most of the general population might also have similar talents. I look forward to seeing what sort of havoc you lot can create with these seemingly minor toys...

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, Mahzz will be prematurely ostracized by a society and culture he never knew. His own "people" even. The only home he ever knew was wiped out by raiders, and, unknown to him, is a whole group that he cannot ever seek aid from, nor return to. (It should be known that since Mahzz was born in the desert wastes, he never knew of the Eladrin, and, despite his funny looks, thinks he's just another elf...of sorts) Coax is probably going to have to set him straight on that. lol!

You know, I don't think I ever got around to describing Mahzz.

Pretty average height and build. 5'8" at 150 Lbs. Hair is a dusty greyed color, wavy, but cut short not-quite-shoulder-lengt, and unkempt/uncombed. His eyes are a Hazel color, sometimes changing slightly with his mood. He wears a long jacket with a hood, baggy pants, and a thin shirt with a deep-cut neckline, and knee-high boots of hide and scale. His clothes are tattered and worn, the colors long faded from the constant travel through the sands of the desert. He wears no jewelry. He does have a satchel for carrying water and other supplies. He wears a dagger on either hip, and carries a long staff carved from the bone of some long dead creature.

J-Bot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Damn, Chet wins the random number prize. Let me clarify the power just to make sure I understand:

Body Equilibrium At-Will - Move
    Effect: Move your speed and get a +5 bonus to Acrobatics.
    Special: Ignore the Sinking* terrain condition when you use this power.
    *or whatever.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You only get the +5 bonus to acrobatics when you are dealing with shifting and sinking terrain.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So Cha'Ka can point out objects within 5 squares... o_O

I'll try to make it work...... it has potential.
    Cha'ka uses Psionic Image.

"Good boy, Cha'ka....whos a good boy? YOU ARE!.....We all saw it dumbass."

Later in the dead of night Cha'ka waits alone for the man who treated him wrongly. His prey unaware of the events that shall befall him.

The morning breaks , and the man is mortified. His hard earned rations gone, and in its place.... Bug shit.

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So Cha'Ka can point out objects within 5 squares... o_O

I'll try to make it work...... it has potential.
    Cha'ka uses Psionic Image.

"Good boy, Cha'ka....whos a good boy? YOU ARE!.....We all saw it dumbass."

Later in the dead of night Cha'ka waits alone for the man who treated him wrongly. His prey unaware of the events that shall befall him.

The morning breaks , and the man is mortified. His hard earned rations gone, and in its place.... Bug shit.

Well, you are projecting an image directly into the minds of everything in burst five.. you're a druid, so probably you have lots of information about critters of the wastes... and what they like to eat? Why not project the image of their favorite snack in a square that - and this is critical - NOT where you are standing (or daresay, near to where you would like it to charge at?). This is just me spitballing ideas, I'm sure my crafty and cunning players will milk every one of their powers for all they are worth.

Also in rereading the description of Psionic Image I think this is a better summary
    At will, Illusion, Psionic
    Minor Action, Close Burst 5
    Target: One or more creatures in burst
    Effect: Each target sees the image of a small or smaller object (of your choice) either in your hand or in a square in the burst. The image lasts until the end of your next turn.

Earlier it looked as though you had to hold an item and then project ITS image... but that's pretty lame I think, and this one is more on par with being awesome. Basically letting you make minor illusions of whatever you care to make... as long as it is sized small or smaller - and you can make the image appear in your hands or in one of the squares in the close burst. You can also choose who you target, since it says "One or more in the burst" instead of "ALL Creatures in burst" so you could choose to communicate with your allies pretty much silently and without fear of the enemy seeing what you are projecting.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Much MUCH better! :mrgreen::^:

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hey - this is an art-related question. I'm currently working out of my sketchbook. I have the Artrage trial program for my tablet, but I'm looking to upgrade. Anyone have any experience/recommendations for programs to use?

Rhie on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Um... i don't even know what a TABLET is. i draw.... out of my book, and started using GIMP for color.... but i absolutely hated it... next time i'll either ink before scanning or ink and color then scan. so, sorry... i gots no clue about programs. I r dumb when it come to these new fangled techno tools. :P

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I can't help either. I've used gimp to do touch up work. Maybe there's some other open source app that will do the trick? I could recommend about a dozen different DAWs, but when it comes to the visual arts, yeah, not my field.

J-Bot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If it's not Photoshop, GIMP or Inkscape, I don't know what it is. I do rather want a tablet, though.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen.php

Bamboo from Wacom looks nice. I think i'll save up for that.... Woot i'll finally join the "mordern" art scene. lol

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Seems kind of small, Nick. You should get a bigger one, I think!

Then again, what do I know?

AmusingSN on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ah...memories. My first was a Wacom. I've heard they're much more responsive these days. Also, now they come with software. /grumble Size actually isn't too big of an issue. Unless you like making giant swoopy strokes you usually only wind up working on a small area at a time anyway.
    But I'm going to poke GIMP and Inkscape and see what happens. Thanks for the ideas people.

Rhie on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I looked at reviews for the wacom bamboo thing and people seemed pretty happy with it for the most part, as compared to other pads, so I am thinking its a good choice, Nick.

Saw that it was 36 bucks on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-CTT460-Bamboo-Touch-Tablet/dp/B002OOWC38

AmusingSN on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Quick update: No changes to the backstory really, but on some advice, I decided to go wizard instead of sorc. Not much change except I'll be slightly more tactical and slightly less glass-cannon. (though I'll be a little more squishy) I also used the invisible castle roller that Dan linked to re-roll stats. (I used an iPod 3D-dice roller where you shake the ipod to roll the dice originally) Er, anyway, so yeah....for everyone's purposes, the group will be a little more balanced, and my magic-flinging character slightly more awesomer.

J-Bot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I thought we were using the standard array for stats.

AmusingSN on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Problem is, the standard array doesn't work too well with my character concept. I needed a sufficiently low wisdom score. At least 9 or less. (it ended up being a 7) See, Mahzz may be smart as a whip, but he don't have too much street/common sense. Anyway, since he pointed out the site with the dice roller in the wiki, I decided to go with that.

Now, if the DM demands it, I can change to using the standard array. It won't change my stats very much in the long run. I'll lose a point of bonus one spot, but gain a bonus elsewhere. That's about it.

J-Bot on