As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OOC [Dark Sun] Shattered Lands

• Options
    Zombie_Lord_DemusZombie_Lord_Demus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    dang ... missed by 1. how about the Hotel bystanders and minions are simply removed by the dark forces,.... to outside and less effects?

Edit: oh... 5 not 6... nevermind

Yeah... but for even attempting to do what he did ... he deserves a consequence.

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    DavidalBarronDavidalBarron Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow! You guys are in the spirit...The Spirit of the CENTURY. (sorry)

But seriously, good work! I'm going to start hammering out a post officially awarding the fate points accrued up to this point, but keep it going, you're doing fine. ...and now you have even more to work through!

Edit: There. Good start! You guys are rolling in Fate.

DavidalBarron on
    Murphy Fogg, psioniCat and his thrall Edwin Cocalas, wizard

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    feeddannowfeeddannow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am here! Had a long week and came back to a novel! hah! I am reading, will reply tonight, try to compel a little from all of you to get my sweet revenge!

feeddannow on
  • Options
    MendokusaiMendokusai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yay for dan! Come now Mr. tuttle, you cant have something better to do than lurk around the wiki all day like the rest of us... I mean who needs a real life when there is pulp?! ^_____^

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    KiplingskatKiplingskat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yay for Fate Points! And Dan's alive!

Woah...that was...dramatic. Very cool, but dramatic. o_o
    I'll have to wait to post until this evening (work...blargh), but very curious to see what's going to happen next!

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    so i'm a bit confused by the awesomeness of aces last post... did we all just ninja poof into beasles room? or just velma, ace and murphy?

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Those who are FATED to get the Jade Idol. :shock::shock::wink::shock::shock:o_O:shock::shock:

Edit: Yeah.... Ninja poof with Evil Cthulhu-ian Powers.

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I am going with the "When in doubt, summon more ninjas" approach to everything.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Storyteller auto-rejects Beasel's compel of Ace Steel's "Bizarre Luck", but retains the 'room raided by goons' idea for his own Exclusive use at a dramatically appropriate moment. If such a moment arrives in this chapter, Beasel will receive a Fate Point.

Edit: Good use of Personal Artifact Stunt! I like it very much.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I didn't see the part about rolling for 'memory'..if i roll a 3 [4,6,5,6], how much do i remember about all the death and destruction?

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok, I've accepted the compel, but neither Velma nor I have any idea what that idol does, if anything (which, I'm sure, was the point). Is it ok for me leave off where I did?

You are totally allowed to describe any adverse effects this little idol might cause (within reason, of course, please don't turn Velma into a zombie chihuahua or anything...)

EDIT: Never mind, Dan edited his post since I wrote that. NOW I know what it does...but Velma doesn't :)

EDIT 2: I'm not sure if this is allowed according to the guidelines of Beasel's Personal Artifact, but it was too fun to resist. She does have a teeensy bit of Mysteries knowledge, after all...

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh ...uh... side note. My wife may go into labor or NEED to before her due date (May 12th). So if at some point i vanish for an extended period. It'll be welcoming my son (Dominic) into the world. She is as of now 31 weeks... but like i said... at any point between now and May.

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    IrishopilisIrishopilis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, congratulations are in order, Mr. Demus. CONGRATULATIONS!

Irishopilis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Seconded.
    CONGRATS! And a big welcome to Dominic, whenever he decides to grace the world with his presence. ^_~

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thnx. :P

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    wow! congrats! a little minion of your very own...

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    A - General bump to keep us on the front page
    B - There was a pretty big earthquake in Japan, but I'm fine, it was just a little damage in the apartment, but it was just stuff... nothing toooo important or invaluable.

C - I swear, I will post something tomorrow, for now, I need sleep.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dan: Glad to hear you're ok! That was more than just "pretty big", wasn't it? An 8.9 if I heard correctly.

What about you David? Did the quake or tsunamis make it to where you were?

On game business: I'll hopefully get a little something up during my lunch break.

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dan, Glad to hear your ok.

I don't know where David lives..... so, i hope he is ok

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    (Don't worry, I'm inland.)

Ooh, Murphy got a bespectacled snake-eyes. A fine precedent.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Whats this i've heard about a Nuclear-plant blew up in Japan? :shock: You guys ok, overthere?

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm fine. It'll be fine. Japan will apply the lessons of Chernobyl post-haste, without spawning a video game that had no excuse to be so terrible.

I like the riffing on the statues!
    Clarification for Mina: Katydid Xiuxiu's shop is in a village in mainland China, not in Hong Kong itself. Otherwise, carry on.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    well shit.. ok china it is.

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heheheh...quite wise of Murphy to take that Toy away from Velma. Things could have gotten very ugly (and very singed), otherwise.

I'm working on the assumption that, as long as Spider doesn't directly nay-say it, plot twists we toss in via our characters are alright. Please correct me if that's presumptuous.

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My city is experiencing intentional blackouts while power is rerouted up north to help those in the Tohoku region, I won't be able to play for a bit - between work and not having internet and power - I expect to be flakerish for the next week. Please, carry on and I will jump in at my next chance.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Milo has you covered dan... muahaha

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    As of now, I approve of these plot declarations. I also think Milo's plan for transporting Beasle works fine, considering Dan's indisposal.

It looks like you've compared notes. I will be updating you out of the hotel presently. Milo, throw the text of the pigeon message up. The rest of you, elaborate on your plans. Good stuff.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    *salutes*

added a message to Xiuxiu to my last post.

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    (Delayed!)

I'm putting the final touches on the Opening to Chapter Two, here's what you need to know:
    1. Keep on doing the awesome thing you're doing, just don't riff yourself away from the vicinity of the hotel.
    2. I refreshed my understanding of the rules by doing a canonical 'behind-the-scenes' combat, and Katydid Xiuxiu really came through for you guys.
    3. Don't worry, I'll check the latest posts before I advance the plot. It should all work out fine.

You're doing great!

(Done)

I'm counting on you all to figure out where you are in all this...and then make it happen. Otherwise you're screwed.

Location Notes (LN): Hong Kong isn't that big.
    LN specific to Velma: Your plane is wherever you can most dramatically describe it as being.

Edit: it pleases me that the two protagonists most responsible for the pursuit are the most incapacitated whilst dealing with it. It pleases me good.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oooh! New stuff!
    *reads*
    Oh my. Harrowing new stuff. o_o

I'll probably throw a proper post up this evening to get Velma into the mix.

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    J-BotJ-Bot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dan, don't become a nuclear zombie. I just heard the situation with the Fukushima 1 nuclear reactor has worsened considerably. :x

Stay safe bud.

J-Bot on
    "For art to appear, you must disappear." ~ Stephen Nachmanovitch
    Aedril character sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=889486
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm assuming the voluntary blackouts and aftershocks (and wind, of all things) are delaying Dan. No worries.

I think it's reasonable from the description and in the circumstances for Murphy to be concealed on a 2 until he does something overt. Which he seems about to do anyways.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ok well i'm all kind of confused... did the building blow up? did we all ninja poof to the remnants of the lobby? or just milo?

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    IrishopilisIrishopilis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sorry edited post cuz it seemed not something Murphy was capable of doing, he wouldn't need a shotgun as being a 15 yr old.

Irishopilis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ugh... I have writing block, but its probably due to the (minor) fever and stomach bug i have....

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The entire first floor was obliterated by the POWER OF MUNITIONS SCIENCE and the building collapsed into that new hole, so you all ended up somewhere amidst that rubble (except Murphey because he was in the truck) . You're all relatively unscathed because that's just how pulp works, but if you happen to roll really bad at some point, feel free to describe it as being a result of some exciting new injuries.

Regarding Milo's attack roll, the appropriate skill would be Weapons (which covers the fighting use of any object besides your fists in melee). When you Invoke the aspect, you spend the fate point and can choose to either add a +2 to your roll or re-roll in the hopes of a better result. In this case, your roll was Awesome, so I suggest adding that +2. I think an 8 (AKA "Legendary") is sufficient to support that description.

These are some great rolls...this is going to be fun.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Minions!!!!O_o
    Edits: More colorful descriptions ! YAY

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So, just to remind myself...Unless specifically stated in the description, Stunts don't actually add a numerical bonus to any rolls. Instead they just allow for certain actions that would otherwise be improbable/impossible for the character?

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This battle rocks my socks.

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Re: Kat - yes. Use Stunts for extra options, invoke Aspects to improve your rolls. Sometimes a stunt just gives a straight bonus to the roll (a lot the Resources stunts, the Doctor --> Surgeon stunts), but it's usually pretty clear in the description.

I'm going to add something presently, but feel free to keep it going on your own. I'll check right before I post.

(done!)

Edit: STRESS (Info: Resolving Attacks)

You've got two Stress tracks:
    Health (for physical attacks)
    Composure (for mental attacks)
    and three consequences
    Mild
    Moderate
    Severe

Each track defaults to five boxes, so show Stress like this on your character sheet:
    (Check the Endurance skill and the Resolve skill to see if you get bonus Stress boxes)

Health OOOOO
    Composure OOOOO
    Mild: None
    Moderate: None
    Severe: None

IThe way you take stress is by failing to resist an attack.

Example, Xi shoots at Milo, so he attacks by rolling his Weapons skill, he ends up with a 4. Milo resists by rolling her Athletics, she ends up with a 2. Xi's attack beat Milo's resist by 2 and it was a physical attack, so Milo fills in the second box on her health track. It now looks like this on her character sheet:

Health OXOOO
    Composure OOOOO

So far so good. The second part of the Stress equation is Consequences. Your character has room for three consequences: Mild, Moderate, Severe. When you are hit for more Stress than you have room for in your stress boxes, you take a consequence. Each time you take a consequence, it increases in severity. A Mild consequence might be "Shaken", while a Major consequence might be "Broken Leg".

Example Xi shoots at Milo again, so for his attack he rolls Guns and gets a 6. Milo resists by rolling Weapons and ends up with 0. Oh no, she's taken 6 stress, but there's no space on her Health track for a 6! Thus, she would be forced to take a mild consequence appropriate to the situation, and Milo decides that "Slowed" seems right (and the Storyteller agrees). Her character sheet now looks like this:

Health OXOOO
    Composure OOOOO
    Mild: Slowed

Consequences are temporary aspects on the character, and can be tagged, compelled or invoked just like regular aspects!

The third part of Stress is Taken Out (and avoiding it). If the character takes a hit that would inflict a second severe consequence, he's done. He's lost the combat and the winning character decides how and to what extent he has lost (within the bounds of the combat). This is a Bad Thing. How to avoid it? Concessions. Whenever you take a consequence, you have the option to "negotiate a surrender" with your opponent. You make a suggestion for ending the conflict, and your opponent can choose to accept it or reject it. This is a Good Thing. If he doesn't accept it, you know you're in trouble and should take the fight to the next level. If he does accept it, you can live to fight another day.

Pretty simple, eh? It would really be useful for you to read that section, though. (Also note that some stunts will increase your overall resilience, as per the description)

Edit Edit: ...

Murphey, no! Also, that's not how it works. Short answer, you only have a mild consequence.
    Explanation. Murphey's Stress track looks like this when he's at full:

Health OOOOO O
    Composure OOOOO OO

Lord Xua rolled a 9 to attack, and Murphey rolled a -3 to resist = the amount of Stress you take is 12. Sucks to be you. It's physical stress, so you look on your Health track and see that you don't have 12 health boxes, so you can't mark off one. Since this is the first such hit, it is a Mild consequence, so now Murphey's stress looks like this on his character sheet:

Health OOOOO O
    Composure OOOOO OO
    Mild: Cannot Concentrate

If, later on, Lord Xua hits you again, rolling a 6, and you resist, rolling a 3, the amount of Stress you take will be 3. You'd fill in your 3rd Health Box. Your stress will look like this:

Health OOXOO O
    Composure OOOOO OO

If you were hit again for 3 Stress, you would have to fill a higher box, like so:

Health OOXXO O
    Composure OOOOO OO

You only take a Consequence if you've run out of Stress boxes to fill up or if you take more stress than you have boxes. You can also opt to take a consequence instead of filling a box. Any time you take a consequence, you have the option of "Conceding", that is, negotiating the terms of your defeat in accordance with how much stress you've taken. For instance, Murphey's BAL could be destroyed, but Murphey escapes and is free to act. If Lord Xua accepted, that's how it goes down. Once you've taken four consequences, you're Taken Out, and your opponent can do whatever he so chooses to you in defeat within the parameters of the conflict.

Edit3: Milo!

Your Stress looks like this on your character sheet when you're at full.

Health OOOOO O
    Composure OOOOO

You were hit for 1 Stress (Xi's attack 3 - Milo's resist 2), by a physical attack, so you look at your Health track and fill in the 1st Box. It now looks like this:

Health XOOOO O
    Composure OOOOO

i.e. Good Roleplaying, but this is the most minor of flesh wounds.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost