As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 10/6/10: Sit your skinny, Pad Thai-eating ass down.

MunchMunch Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Graphic Violence
Secret Six #26; there were more action-y moments in this issue, but I liked this one, because it's literally the first time I've ever found myself rooting for Amanda Waller.
e8r1g2.jpg

2ntbnk8.jpg

Doom Patrol #15; the Chief goes mad with artificially-infused Kryptonian power, and disarms the entire world at superspeed. The team's forced to bring him down, with a little help.
1zp1c2e.jpg

There's also a revelation at the end of the issue, which if I'm reading it correctly, retcons the retcon that said Chief caused the team's accidents. Basically, he states that he allowed them to direct their anger towards him, rather than let it consume them. I'm not really sure how I feel about that.

R.E.B.E.L.S. #21; the rookie Lantern from Okaara takes on the Main Man.
531u7a.jpg

Munch on

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ending to Ultimate Comics Thor #1 is my MotW.
    Frost Giants wearing SS uniforms? Oh Hickman, you so crazy.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been waiting for this thread to be made so I can gush about how awesome the sound effects in Chaos War #1 were.

SO AWESOME.

BALLLDDDDDEEEEERRED!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good week for comics, 4 highlights:

Munch I was going to post that scene from SS #26, now I have to post these instead:

ss26b.jpg

ss26c.jpg

Klaws of the Panther #1, Maberry reminds us Shanna is more than T&A, she's a veterinarean and she and Shuri bet up AIM:

kotp1a.jpg

kotp1b.jpg

kotp1c.jpg

Chaos War #1, Hercules beats up Balder and gods (plus tennis time at Atlas HQ)

cw1a.jpg

cw1b.jpg

cw1c.jpg

cw1d.jpg

And Young Allies was much better than last issue, and looks like being ripped in half is the in thing this year:

ya5a.jpg

ya5b.jpg

Gravity was going to use Mortar to kill lil' Leader by suffocating him.

ya5c.jpg

ya5d.jpg

BOOM!

Gravity saves her, it was a nice scene between the two.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

Munch I was going to post that scene from SS #26, now I have to post these instead:

ss26b.jpg

ss26c.jpg

Klaws of the Panther #1, Maberry reminds us Shanna is more than T&A, she's a veterinarean and she and Shuri bet up AIM:

kotp1a.jpg

kotp1b.jpg

kotp1c.jpg

cw1a.jpg

cw1b.jpg

cw1c.jpg

cw1d.jpg

And Young Allies was much better than last issue, and looks like being ripped in half is the in thing this year:

ya5a.jpg

ya5b.jpg

ya5c.jpg

ya5d.jpg

BOOM!

Quoted for viewing.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I just want to say Young Allies was really really good, poor Firestar. My 2nd favorite book this week behind Klaws of the Panther. And the New Avengers are so much cooler than the regular Avengers thanks to their cameo in YA #5.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Chaos War was pretty sweet. Loved all the little touches of humour, always happy to see Cho and Delphyne, always happy to see Herc and Thor being awesome. I have to say recently Thor has been excellently written as a character in a number of titles, Chaos War, Thor, Thor: Mighty Avenger, all of them are some of Marvel's best-written booms right now.

Solar on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Glad to see Chaos War continues the tradition of amazing sound effects.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is my MOTW from Uncanny X-Force #1:
    X-Force1.jpg
    X-Force2.jpg

Fantomex is turning out to be one of my favorite mutant characters. He just gets more and more badass the more we see of him.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What are Fantomex's actual powers? Does he have a healing factor or superhuman physical abilities or something?

Solar on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    What are Fantomex's actual powers? Does he have a healing factor or superhuman physical abilities or something?

His ship.

MastaP on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    He has two brains and can hypnotize people. Not to mention his great agility and (as MastaP said) his hyper-intelligent ship E.V.A.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MYOOOONRRRR

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

ss26b.jpg

ss26c.jpg

kotp1a.jpg

kotp1b.jpg

kotp1c.jpg

cw1a.jpg

cw1b.jpg

cw1c.jpg

cw1d.jpg

ya5a.jpg

ya5b.jpg

ya5c.jpg

ya5d.jpg

BOOM!

The only thing keeping me from Klaws of the Panther is well, Klaw. But I may pick it up in trade.

Does it feature T'Challa or is it a Shuri and friends show?

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    T'Challa doesn't show up at all in this issue, although I believe he will show up at some point.

And Klaw only shows up at the last page this issue, the rest is Shuri and Shanna in the Savage Land. It's basically Shuri has got some anger issues after Doomwar, people always looking down on her (seems to be a jab at comic readers who don't like her as BP), her country is in tough time, and she's also a princess. She's trying to juggle all these things, and kind of taking it out on dinosaurs.

The book has some really good dialogue, where Shanna really shines. She mentions that she hasn't see Shuri since she was in braces and a training bra, and Shuri is kind of flustered with that. And Shanna also raised a velociraptor from an egg and named her Peaches. It's just a really good by the books story.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    He has two brains and can hypnotize people. Not to mention his great agility and (as MastaP said) his hyper-intelligent ship E.V.A.

Seems like deus ex powers

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Orc Stain #5

I was flabbergasted when I saw it on the shelves

Got me a heaping helping of that Orc Stain now

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit, Orc Stain 5 is out? I never got 2 or 4.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Seems like deus ex powers

This is not the Bitching thread so I won't go into a rant on the definition of deus ex machina and how the internet has ruined the term but: you're wrong.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    MastaP wrote: »
    The only thing keeping me from Klaws of the Panther is well, Klaw. But I may pick it up in trade.
    Seriously, why is Black Panther's primary villain such a lameass? At least Man-Ape looked cool.

I didn't realize it until I got to the store, but Fantastic Four: Ataque Del M.O.D.O.K.! #1 came out this week. It's the most recent in a series of collaborations between artist Juan Doe, and writer/cartoonist Tom Beland, who does the incredible True Story, Swear to God at Image. For anyone that's never read any of the one-shots these guys do, they're all stories that transplant the Fantastic Four to Puerto Rico, to have done-in-one adventures.

In the first, the Thing is hailed as a celebrity in a tiny village, which he returns to under a shroud of mystery once a year, for a giant festival in his honor. And then he fights Chupacabras. In the next, Spider-Man tags along with the family. In this one, Sue Storm and Reed Richards enjoy a romantic getaway, until it's interrupted by the presence of a Puerto Rican vigilante, and monkeys dressed in tiny yellow jumpsuits. Basically, it's awesome, and everyone should go buy it. Beland, as a guy that primarily writes romance, really nails the interactions between Sue and Reed, and Doe draws the Hell out of it.
    Reed and Sue are playing a variation on Twenty Questions, where they basically just ask each other twenty questions about whatever they feel like, with the other person answering honestly. Each are down to their last question. For his, Reed wants to know when Sue fell for him.

350t7o4.jpg

vg3b5x.jpg

Later, after the threat's passed, Sue asks her final question.

1pxenm.jpg

2reldp5.jpg

I really like the idea that for all the accolades and recognition Reed's genius has won him, there's really nothing more valuable to him than Sue's opinion of him.

Also, these two panels really made me want to see Doe and Beland do a Sue Dibny/Elongated Man series.

24w99io.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit, Orc Stain 5 is out? I never got 2 or 4.

It wasn't listed on the new releases so I was shocked when I saw the last copy of 5 sitting on the shelf when I went to pick up my books last night

No Young Allies 5 but I'll take Orc Stain 5 over that any day

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh god how did I not know about new Juan Doe FF?

oh god need it need it need it neeeeeeeeed iiiiiiiiit

Bahia de los Muertes was badical. This is obviously also badical.

desc on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    MastaP wrote: »
    Seriously, why is Black Panther's primary villain such a lameass? At least Man-Ape looked cool.

I didn't realize it until I got to the store, but Fantastic Four: Ataque Del M.O.D.O.K.! #1 came out this week. It's the most recent in a series of collaborations between artist Juan Doe, and writer/cartoonist Tom Beland, who does the incredible True Story, Swear to God at Image. For anyone that's never read any of the one-shots these guys do, they're all stories that transplant the Fantastic Four to Puerto Rico, to have done-in-one adventures.

In the first, the Thing is hailed as a celebrity in a tiny village, which he returns to under a shroud of mystery once a year, for a giant festival in his honor. And then he fights Chupacabras. In the next, Spider-Man tags along with the family. In this one, Sue Storm and Reed Richards enjoy a romantic getaway, until it's interrupted by the presence of a Puerto Rican vigilante, and monkeys dressed in tiny yellow jumpsuits. Basically, it's awesome, and everyone should go buy it. Beland, as a guy that primarily writes romance, really nails the interactions between Sue and Reed, and Doe draws the Hell out of it.
    Reed and Sue are playing a variation on Twenty Questions, where they basically just ask each other twenty questions about whatever they feel like, with the other person answering honestly. Each are down to their last question. For his, Reed wants to know when Sue fell for him.

350t7o4.jpg

vg3b5x.jpg

Later, after the threat's passed, Sue asks her final question.

1pxenm.jpg

2reldp5.jpg

I really like the idea that for all the accolades and recognition Reed's genius has won him, there's really nothing more valuable to him than Sue's opinion of him.

Also, these two panels really made me want to see Doe and Beland do a Sue Dibny/Elongated Man series.

24w99io.jpg

Klaw was a good villain in his original FF appearances (Lee/Kirby), but Shooter turned the character into a whiny bitch during the original Secret Wars. That's how he's been written ever since.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh my god, Reed Richard digitized music and stored it in an audio file format. Surely he is some kind of super-genius to do this thing he described. How exciting life must be with a man capable of recording music.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Oh my god, Reed Richard digitized music and stored it in an audio file format. Surely he is some kind of super-genius to do this thing he described. How exciting life must be with a man capable of recording music.

oh yes it is very unimpressive to do such a thing in the 60s

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

oh yes it is very unimpressive to do such a thing in the 60s

The voice command thing was pretty cool, I admit, but I refer you to this wikipedia page. He might be a pioneer in the field along with scientists of NHK and Nippon Columbia in Japan, but it's not like he was decades ahead when he became the first digital pirate of classic rock.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The first commercial digital recordings were released in 1971.
    sooooo, years before anyone normal could access it

I'm done, but that was an awesome moment, Munch

thanks for sharing, I wouldn't have even heard of that comic otherwise

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You're welcome, Antimatter.

But you, TeaSpoon? You're not.

Why, I'm tempted to share with you some moments from the truly awful Back in Quack, just to teach you a lesson.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not years. Here Comes the Sun, by the Beatles, was released 26 September 1969. Since the flashback took place in April, the flashback must have taken place in the 70s. And remember that 1971 was when digital recordings went mainstream. Scientists in universities and research labs had access to the technology long before that.

Anyway, that was a pretty good scene, I agree.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Back in Quack wasn't good? :C

I'm sooooo disappointed, but unsurprised. :(

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Careful, Munch. Be very careful. I have ammunition of my own. Remember that little scene at the end of Countdown to Infinite Crisis?

It could become my signature.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think the simple fact that Reed gave Sue what was essentially a personal MP3-playing stereo is what's significant, not necessarily the technology. If someone had told you in 1995 that they could replace your shitty stereo and enormous binder filled with CDs (remember those?), with a single device that could play all those songs, and responded to your voice, you'd think it was magic.

It's like the difference between the first generation MP3 players that held a couple dozen songs, and the iPod, which holds every song you could ever want to listen to. Sure the technology and end result is basically the same, but to the average geek off the street, the difference between the two is staggering.

And yeah, Back in Quack was bad. Not bad enough to talk about in the Bitching thread, but I expected a lot more of a book starring Howard the Duck and Spider-Man, written by Stuart Moore, and featuring a back-up with the Man-Thing.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, I guess I agree. This argument has gone further than my joke-post deserves.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    THIS ENDS WHEN I SAY IT DOES.
    . . .

Now.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I went to the store for the first time in months. It turns out I missing quite a bunch of "Frankencastle." I am missing 19 and 20, and the Dark Wolverine issues. I'm torn. I want to get the trade (trades?) of this story arc, because I am moving away from single issues. So I need four, maybe five comics. That's 12 or 15 dollars, plus tax. I can probably get the trade for 20 dollars when it comes out. So now what I am going to do with all of these singles?

Any motw-- Orc Stain #5 is out! My shop never got issue 2, so things are bit confusing. It is awesome and crazy though, man it is nuts.

And I read MU vs Punisher #2. It was great. I'm not quite sure how Frank killed the Hulk, but I have a theory.
    He shot him through the eye with a piece of Wolverine's claw. That was really cool. Maybe he severed his brain stem? That could kill the Hulk, I guess, or at least disable him until some idiot wants the arrow that killed the Hulk.

Venomous was cool, and Deadpool is funny in this book.

I can see myself reading this again and wanting to share it with people, so I guess the trade would be nice. I'm going to call my shop and tell them not to order the other issues.

And I have King City 11 and Fear Agent 29, but I haven't read them yet.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    orc stain #5 was great, heavy on the laugh out loud moments. well, if mob violence, nutsack pulling and ear stabbing are the kind of things that make you laugh...

being an image title and a good one at that i'm always weary of it mysteriously stopping at some point. all you trade waiters best start writing letters if it goes under early...

manji on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I went to the store for the first time in months. It turns out I missing quite a bunch of "Frankencastle." I am missing 19 and 20, and the Dark Wolverine issues. I'm torn. I want to get the trade (trades?) of this story arc, because I am moving away from single issues. So I need four, maybe five comics. That's 12 or 15 dollars, plus tax. I can probably get the trade for 20 dollars when it comes out. So now what I am going to do with all of these singles?

The entire Frankencastle story will be collected in an over-sized format with the hardcover coming out next month at 40 retail. If you already have half the story you might be better off hunting down the remaining single issues.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »

The entire Frankencastle story will be collected in an over-sized format with the hardcover coming out next month at 40 retail. If you already have half the story you might be better off hunting down the remaining single issues.

Amazon has it for 27 dollars.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Amazon has it for 27 dollars.

Yeah I know, I just thought you might be better off getting the single issues since you already have half the story. But the hardcover is a good deal right now as well, I just don't like to double dip between singles and collections.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Only read Book 1 last night, but Parker: the Outfit is motw. Only Parker could beat out a Juan Doe FF one-off for my motw honors.

desc on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bah, so this is where the hidden back in quack being awful was, coulda saved 4 bucks!

posted in other thread motw was finding it and not knowing about it prior, then I read it, and it wasn't a motw any more.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508