As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camp Saw Advice VVVVVVVV

Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm pretty sure I need to get a camp saw to make my life easier out on the trail and so far, I've kind of been waffling between two different types, so I was wondering if people had any personal experience with either type. Keep in mind that I normally don't bring a hatchet, nor do I want to.

So, here's what I've been looking at:

1. Sabercut/Pocket Chainsaw

CAMP-226.jpg

Benefits: Lighter weight, Smaller pack size, seems like it'd be less likely to be damaged (bent blade) on the trail, no assembly required.

Drawbacks: 2 handed; it looks like you really need the wood stable when you use it, which can be a problem because of only 2 hands; Thick chain - wastes wood and it's generally more difficult to saw with thicker blades; Blade has to be sharpened with 'chainsaw sharpener' (I have no clue what that is); I've heard that the grips can be problematic.

2. Sven/Triangle type folding saw.

sven-saw.gif

Benefits: 1 handed; Thin blade; Replaceable blades available; Less work and easier to use.

Drawbacks: Heavier; bulkier; Have to assemble with a wingnut, which may suck in the cold/gloved. Size of branch/log is more limited by blade length, which is also limited by how bulky I want to buy it (I was thinking the 15", which would limit any log to 10-12" probably).

Also, keep in mind that I'm as strong as a nerd. Do any of you burly mans have personal testimonies about these things? I kind of feel like I've researched this well enough, but I just can't decide. Let me know if you've used one, or both. I will mostly (90%) be using this for firewood.

Niceguy Myeye on

• Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What are you expecting you'll need to do out on the trail? I always got by with a hatchet, I never considered taking a saw with me.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why do you need a saw, just curious?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to second a hatchet. Coupled with the fact most national and state parks have rules prohibiting cutting any live wood, you're really not going to run into any 12" logs you need to saw. A hatchet works great on campfire sized dead stuff you'll find, plus flip it over and it's a hammer to drive tent stakes in with. Now, if you're doing some type of long-term camping and you plan on building a shelter, that's a different story, and the rigid saw will serve you much better.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are also folding saws, like this, of varying quality of course.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    honestly, I'd just feel safer using a saw rather than swinging a hatchet. I'm kind of clumsy.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm pretty sure I need to get a camp saw to make my life easier out on the trail and so far, I've kind of been waffling between two different types, so I was wondering if people had any personal experience with either type. Keep in mind that I normally don't bring a hatchet, nor do I want to.

So, here's what I've been looking at:

1. Sabercut/Pocket Chainsaw

CAMP-226.jpg

Benefits: Lighter weight, Smaller pack size, seems like it'd be less likely to be damaged (bent blade) on the trail, no assembly required.

Drawbacks: 2 handed; it looks like you really need the wood stable when you use it, which can be a problem because of only 2 hands; Thick chain - wastes wood and it's generally more difficult to saw with thicker blades; Blade has to be sharpened with 'chainsaw sharpener' (I have no clue what that is); I've heard that the grips can be problematic.

2. Sven/Triangle type folding saw.

sven-saw.gif

Benefits: 1 handed; Thin blade; Replaceable blades available; Less work and easier to use.

Drawbacks: Heavier; bulkier; Have to assemble with a wingnut, which may suck in the cold/gloved. Size of branch/log is more limited by blade length, which is also limited by how bulky I want to buy it (I was thinking the 15", which would limit any log to 10-12" probably).

Also, keep in mind that I'm as strong as a nerd. Do any of you burly mans have personal testimonies about these things? I kind of feel like I've researched this well enough, but I just can't decide. Let me know if you've used one, or both. I will mostly (90%) be using this for firewood.

I use a folding bowsaw, blade is about 21" long, but really 6" is the max size of log you realistically want to cut. I have a custom made sleeve that holds the folded saw alongside the handle of my 3lb axe.

[edit] Actually I'm pretty sure this is the saw I have: http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=79&section=&ID=2666

Ruckus on
  • Options
    ChickeenChickeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What are you sawing? Campfire wood?

I've never had a real need for a saw in the back country, but wood gathering and burning is a no-no for most of the places I go.

I'd go with the folding one. That chain thing looks problematic.

Chickeen on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I like using a hatchet, it has more uses than a saw imo. The pocket chainsaw can be a bit frustrating at times, and the only times I've ever seen them in use were for survival/bug out kits because they're small and easy to carry.

How big of logs are expecting to be cutting? The one Ruckus has mentioned is good, and the folding saw is also a pretty good one. The Gerber folding saw I've used before, and it ain't that bad.

Normally when I'm backpacking, though, I always have my bushcraft knife on me to baton through wood. It may be a bit of a hassle, but it keeps my load light. With practice, I've gotten pretty good at it.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    GI saws are not very easy to use and not really necessary unless you're going through really really wild terrain in the middle of nowhere which you shouldnt be doing by yourself anyway so you will be able to carry a hatchet which is infinitely more useful
    if you want a saw grab a light sierra saw or something

RubberAC on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Add me to the "learn to use a hatchet" group.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ok, so recommend me some hatchets. Basically, I've been camping once every month since last May, and in some places, a hatchet or saw would have saved a lot of time when trying to get larger logs (more than 2 inch diamater) for the fire. Currently, I've been using the sawblade of my leatherman, which while it cuts fast, it doesn't work well on anything thicker than 2 inches. The state parks around here are pretty much full of fallen trees, so there's never a shortage of them.

I really wanted to avoid getting a hatchet because I'm clumsy and saws are just safer. But, I suppose I have too many fingers.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'd suggest either the 14" Fiskars or the 15" Gerber axe/saw combo, even though it's more expensive, it comes with a saw built into the handle and a head cover, along with being under 2 pounds.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How much are you willing to spend? the Fiskars and Gerber mentioned above are good starting axes, but I would only take them if I were to go car camping. For backpacking, when I'm more reliant on my tools, I take either a Wetterlings or Gransfors Bruks. I have the Wetterlings 13 inch wildlife axe. These are very reliable and beautifully made.

Remember, choose your battles. You don't need to cut up a giant stump for fire wood. Anything about the size and length of your arm will suffice.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hell, I just came from the G&T steam omgthosearentsaleprices thread and this is the inverse of the talk there.

I think the last hatchet I bought was like $5 at walmart 15 years ago, and it still cuts wood just fine every time I happen to find it laying in the yard and sharpen the rust off the edge. Honestly, I would buy the cheapest something with a cutting edge on one side and hammer on the other, and would be willing to pay like $6 extra for something that doesn't have a wooden handle so you don't have that to worry about. But that's just me.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You can get a cheap one that will work at walmart, or you can get an expensive one that will work at a sporting goods store. It's a hatchet, if its made out of metal hard enough to go through wood, it works. I used to use a Gerber, but somewhere along the way I started disliking gerber tools, and replaced it with a Buck brand hatchet. I've also used the shitty walmart ones, and they worked fine (although their machetes leave a lot to be desired), but weren't as comfortable in the hand. I believe I paid $30 for my Buck knife hatchet.

And for the record I would say a hand saw is more dangerous for your fingers than a hatchet if you know how to use it. Your fingers should be nowhere near the blade of the hatchet, where as with the saw your hand may be near by to stabilize it while sawing, making it easier to slip and cut yourself. In either case you should be wearing gloves, preferably leather.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Get a hatchet. And by that I mean a shitty cheap one form the bargain bucket at the hardware store. As long as it has a hardened cutting edge and a metal handle, you can't go wrong.

See, the thing with being 'nerd strong' is that the weight of the hatchet head does all the cutting work for you. It's much harder (in terms of effort and strength required) to cut through small logs and such with a saw than it is with a hatchet. Also you can't break a hatchet like you can a saw.

Donovan Puppyfucker on