As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My wife's friends suck. (Help?)

Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, there is a lot to this, but I'm going to try and stick to the most salient facts.

A couple months ago, my wife and I had major car trouble, and so we've been without a vehicle since then. We are coping fine as she works within walking distance of our apartment, and I have alternate transportation.

About this time, two of her best girlfriends have started acting increasingly distant towards her. I don't know if it's because she's been more reliant on friends to pick her up when anyone is hanging out together, or for "going out". Her relationships with these two friends has been more and more strained, even culminating in the temporary termination of one of the friendships, although they did make up again some time later.

Cut to today, my wife has been planning a get-together tonight around going to a bar with her friends for the past 2 weeks. Via facebook, (sigh) one her friends sends her a msg that she's pulling a double at work and can't make it tonight. The other friend is driving in from a neighboring town and can't help her out ride-wise. Cue my wife getting very upset that tonight is pretty much canceled and bemoaning that she has "no friends". I would chalk this up to exaggeration, but unfortunately it's not the first time her friends have flaked out on her, or otherwise been unreliable. My wife has always had a difficult time making new friendships, and so she becomes very distraught at the prospect of losing the few friends she has. Even though her friends are not very good ones regardless.

is there anything I can do? Obviously I can't magic new, good friends out of the ether, and she doesn't currently do anything that brings her into regular contact with new people whom she might befriend. All I can do now is sympathize with her that her friends suck, but I hate to see her despondent.

Any ideas? Advice?

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
Hiryu02 on

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not seeing how her friends are flaking - unless they're lying.

Otherwise, if you think it's all because of driving can your wife take a cab or something? I remember being "the guy with a car" a while back and it does get annoying when people always need a ride.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tell her to get more friends?

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wait, I have an idea. Do you work tonight?

Couldn't you take her somewhere instead?

That would probably be nice.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So one friend had to work and can't make it. The other is still able to go, but she is unable to pick up your wife? Seems like your wife is overreacting.

On the no-car issue, like the poster above, I'm very often the driver in my group of friends. Nine times out of ten I'm cool with it, but it can get old. Also, if anyone acts like I'm expected to drive I generally tell them to piss off. If your wife feels like her friends are getting tired of driving her around, make sure she is asking them politely, thanking them and offering gas money (personally I never accept gas money, but it's definitely nice when people offer).

If you two want to make new friends, hit up your local recreation centre. Join a co-ed sports league, take some dance classes, whatever. There are tons of cheap ways to get you out of the house, get you active and meet new people.

Lail on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, flaking in the sense that my wife has planned stuff like this before, usually some get-together either out or at our apartment, a week or two in advance. Then on the day of, suddenly stuff comes up, and all of a sudden everything falls through. This has happened multiple times.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Life happens

If you take every instance personally that's up to you, but I can't tell you how many times I've planned stuff even with my boyfriend (whom I live with), come home from work/gym/etc. and been too tired or too hassled to make good on the plans

Don't be offended, just make another date and find something else to do that night

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Reasonable enough. I really wanted to get an objective, outsider's perspective on this, and I didn't want to just blindly chalk it up to "oh she's overreacting".

I do appreciate the observations. I'm a bit too close to the problem to be able to see the big picture.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Its not so much that your wife's friends suck as it is that growing up sucks. When people start their careers and families priorities change and partying with the guys/gals just wont be as high on the list as it used to be.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If your wife is overreacting to her friends about this there's a chance they've just gotten tired of a) always have to drive her and b) having to deal with her getting upset when life happens.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Your wife is probably depending too much on two people as a social outlet and a way of expending time.

If your lack of a car means that she can't join a club or take a class of some kind, maybe she can pursue a hobby that she can do at home to prevent her from feeling restless when her friends can't hang out with her.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Reasonable enough. I really wanted to get an objective, outsider's perspective on this, and I didn't want to just blindly chalk it up to "oh she's overreacting".

I do appreciate the observations. I'm a bit too close to the problem to be able to see the big picture.

This has happened to my wife too on multiple occasions. With her friends, at least, there's either something where they're too polite to say they don't want to go to something, so make up some excuse the day of, or they really do have flimsy reasons not to come. It used to bother me a lot (I also scratched it up to her friends just not being very good), but it seems to be the norm for the interactions throughout the social group, and she herself wasn't being singled out. She does it to them too, I just don't see it when it happens (your wife might do the same).

Generally, when my guy friends say they are doing something, they're doing something. With her, it's not so obvious. You may just not be calibrated.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How does she ask for a ride? That's kind of important.

I had a friend who would always say "You should do X" and it was the most disrespectful wording possible, so almost everyone would tell him to fuck off because they felt like a meat puppet when they did something for him. He took it really personally, and one day I told him "if you could word it as 'would you pick me up?' or 'would you be able to grab me a drink when you're at the liquor store?' " and people would hate him significantly less for asking a favor. He used my advice and it worked extremely well, then he became resentful that I knew something he didn't, and defaulted back to "You should do X for me" and everyone started to tell him to piss off again.

So, that's something I would consider. She could be wording things in a weird way, making people feel like she's being manipulative, rather than grateful for their consideration of her.

Just a thought. She could be the most polite person in the world, I don't really know. But it is kind of weird that she won't default to using a cab if a ride falls through.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lewisham wrote: »

This has happened to my wife too on multiple occasions. With her friends, at least, there's either something where they're too polite to say they don't want to go to something, so make up some excuse the day of, or they really do have flimsy reasons not to come. It used to bother me a lot (I also scratched it up to her friends just not being very good), but it seems to be the norm for the interactions throughout the social group, and she herself wasn't being singled out. She does it to them too, I just don't see it when it happens (your wife might do the same).

Generally, when my guy friends say they are doing something, they're doing something. With her, it's not so obvious. You may just not be calibrated.

I have a very similar situation also. My GF's friends will plan stuff way in advance, and then flake out at the last minute with (imo) really lame excuses. But if the situation is reversed, and she is the one that can't make it, her friends get really pissed. Part of our problem is that we have 4 kids, and only 1 running vehicle.

I have never been able to figure out how to help with this aside from bending over backwards to make sure that she can make it to anything her friends are doing. It's not as easy as, "just make new friends" And it doesn't help that I have plenty of friends, and my friends almost never flake out for anything.

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know your region or how tight money is, but would something simple and relatively cheap like a bike help, so she could get around on her own more? Might make a good early Christmas present.

As for your wife, she's perhaps overreacting to a degree, but from a very reasonable perspective. I've been there. Shit sucks when you've got fuck-all interaction with people.

Have you checked Meetup.com in your area? There might be some interesting groups that'd get her, or both of you out of the house and meeting some new people.

yalborap on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have a, well, acquaintance not even friend, to whom this happens a lot. for her, it happens because a) she's really damn needy b) she's really damn depressing and c) she expects you to just do shit for her, without her ever returning the favour. So yeah, I tend to not hang out with her very often, and yet she calls me one of her good friends. I am certainly not trying to say this is the cause for your guys' situation, just throwing out my experiences with this sort of thing

ihmmy on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I'm one of those "plans are written in stone unless it's an emergency" people, but my husband does the sort of crap you describe with his friends: if he doesn't feel like doing something he's been invited to he says "sure" and makes up some shit the day of. It drives me right up a wall to watch him do this to his friends, especially since his friends are like me, but they all seem pretty used to it.

If this is a recent thing though, it's probably not the case with your wife. I'd go with resentment, especially if this has been going on for months and they don't see any progress toward you guys replacing your car. They may just see this situation where she makes plans because she wants to go somewhere and doesn't have a ride so she invites them. Because no effort is readily apparent to make other arrangements her dependence on their cars just seems to stretch into infinity.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    She shouldn't be driving to bars anyway. Call me a fuddy duddy. But you walk/take some sort of alternate transpo to bars. Cab, bus, etc.

Anyway, I think maybe we're not hearing the whole story re: the friends like specific actions or attitude. As written it sounded like they were just being normal people.

It sounds like the problem here is anxiety your wife has. Which isn't a dig on her. What you need to do is address the anxiety. Unless your wife's friends do suck as much as your examples of them sucking do. In that case perhaps open up your circle of friends?

It's OK to share friends. Perhaps she can make some of her own friends through your friends, or extended circle?

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Cut to today, my wife has been planning a get-together tonight around going to a bar with her friends for the past 2 weeks. Via facebook, (sigh) one her friends sends her a msg that she's pulling a double at work and can't make it tonight. The other friend is driving in from a neighboring town and can't help her out ride-wise. Cue my wife getting very upset that tonight is pretty much canceled and bemoaning that she has "no friends". I would chalk this up to exaggeration, but unfortunately it's not the first time her friends have flaked out on her, or otherwise been unreliable. My wife has always had a difficult time making new friendships, and so she becomes very distraught at the prospect of losing the few friends she has. Even though her friends are not very good ones regardless.

is there anything I can do? Obviously I can't magic new, good friends out of the ether, and she doesn't currently do anything that brings her into regular contact with new people whom she might befriend. All I can do now is sympathize with her that her friends suck, but I hate to see her despondent.

Any ideas? Advice?

You seriously could have avoided all this fairly easily. Drop her off and pick her up from the bar. It's not unreasonable that the guy who has the car all the time might have to drive your wife around to events, even if you're not invited.

Alternately, if you live in an area with cabs, you could offer to pay her cab fare for a fun night out with friends.

Her not driving is putting stress on her relationships with her friends. Be a decent person and help her out when stuff like this comes up.

badpoet on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    badpoet wrote: »

You seriously could have avoided all this fairly easily. Drop her off and pick her up from the bar. It's not unreasonable that the guy who has the car all the time might have to drive your wife around to events, even if you're not invited.

Alternately, if you live in an area with cabs, you could offer to pay her cab fare for a fun night out with friends.

Her not driving is putting stress on her relationships with her friends. Be a decent person and help her out when stuff like this comes up.

You didn't read the OP, he never claimed he had a car, just that he had alternate transportation, which I am reading to mean a bus or carpooling with someone else to his place of work.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Cartr1dgeBasedCartr1dgeBased Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    if she has more than 2 friends i wouldn't worry about it too much

Cartr1dgeBased on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    badpoet if you're going to bother to post in a thread read the fucking OP first.

ceres on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does this happen both with things planned in advance, like this, and with more spur of the moment (day of, few days advance)? I have some friends who don't really know their schedule until the day is almost upon us. Unless it's some very special event (birthday, road trip, etc.), they're not going to be able to do much about other more important commitments popping up with work and whatnot.

Additionally, as has been said, being a chauffeur gets old fast, especially if someone doesn't live right down the street. Whoever is planning the gathering, especially to a drinking establishment, is usually the one who's going to offer driving. Otherwise, it comes off as a "I need a DD so I can drink". A few months of this is a long time. How close are you to finding a replacement vehicle?

BoomShake on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I misread the OP thinking they went from 2 cars to 1. So, obviously him dropping off and picking up is a no go.

He could still offer to do the cab thing, though.

badpoet on
  • Options
    sacred_mindsacred_mind Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    Well for me its the the same.. I'm the wife.. and I make bad choices in friends. My GF invited me to be her bridesmaid, and asked me to do her make up for her wedding ( i used to work freelance as a makeup artust do weddings and shoots) I agreed. We have had our issues in the past (yells at me in public crap like why don't i get my own friends.. blah blah blah.. not every one has to be your friend, you dont have to be so fucking nice to everyone, its ok to not be the super nice girl..) But hay thats not me. I like helping people out, I would give the people I care about the shirt off of my back if the simply asked. But i didn't invite her out to lunch a few days ago( i was getting her treats to hide away in her desk for a ncie surprise, since she is stressed with wedding stuff) when i came back she was BIT-TER. Sneering a bit so i told her hay i just wanted to grab you some treats and its pretty hard for it to be a surprise when youre there you know?! And she seemed fine.. 2 hours later io ask her when she wanted to go set an appt to get her make up done so i could come with her and get what she needed as a gift for her( if a friend does your make up it can be hard to tell them you dont like it, so i wanted somone who is currently working in the field and is paid to do it HER way) But out of no where she says she doesnt want me to do her makeup anymore. Then emails me a few hours after that and says she doesnt want me to stand for her at her wedding either. Just because she thinks there would be too many people standing.. Umm ok?? I invited her out to me bday on sat night over a month ago, and now shes jammed out on me and said that its one of her other gfs bday.. i asked her if she even wanted to go to a movie the next day and she said no, or if we could meet up, and she said she was going to be too far away to bother to come out to meet me.
    My hubby doesnt think I should be her friend anymore, but she can be super good to me at time, and i wouldnt ask her to change for the world (thats what friends are.. they like you for who you are, not only the good parts) but I get so hurt by her.. and I dont have many friends.. it hurts being that girl who just want to make people happy and you just can never seem to. I can honestly say.. making bad friends is a hard habit to break, good friends are hard to come by.

sacred_mind on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Please don't necropost.

ceres on
This discussion has been closed.