As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sid Meier's Civilization V: future tech lets you make new threads

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Weirdly, I can use siege weapons to take cities.

Or maybe I'm just misremembering things.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You can use helicopters, though.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, the automatic zooming on random stuff gets on my nerves at times, especially when I have stuff I want to do with one unit but it then zooms to something random on the other side of the continent.

I especially dislike when you have time to click on the unit you *want* to interact with, but it still zooms you away. This is my biggest peeve with the game.

Except for the constant crashes on huge maps during the late game of course...

Pemulis on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    The diplomacy AI is only not incredibly bad because there are so few diplomatic options. It's a shame, though with some of the ideas floating around the modding forums, it's possible fans will be able to mod this.

I especially dislike that the AI is either "Hey yo, open your borders" or "You didn't open your borders, let's make the wars!"

Echo on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If an AI has nowhere else they can expand and they need to go through your borders to find unclaimed land they will declare war

I think anyone would declare war

tofu on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What the fuck is up with Hiawatha? Why does he ALWAYS start cities right on top of mine no matter how far away he is? He started TWO cities touching my capital cities borders on either side of me. His capital? 20 hexes away.

This is the fourth time hes done this and hes done it multiple times to my wife as well. Its goddamn retarded AI.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    He's just being friendly. Watch out, he gets pretty frisky around turn 200.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy crap momentum is everything.

Also, the Babylonians have serious tech research advantages. I was beaten to the renaissance era by almost all the other civilizations while I was trying to get off my shitty little starting island that the game threw me on while laughing in my face. By the end of the game I was making almost 1K gold per turn, almost 1K culture per turn and I was bombing musketmen with stealth bombers. I've never recovered so completely before.

Also, I finally won a domination game in Civilization! I can't remember the last time I did it because it was alway such a pain in the ass in Civ 3 and 4. Armed engagements are way more fun with the hexes and no more than 1 unit per tile change.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Holy crap momentum is everything.

Also, the Babylonians have serious tech research advantages. I was beaten to the renaissance era by almost all the other civilizations while I was trying to get off my shitty little starting island that the game threw me on while laughing in my face. By the end of the game I was making almost 1K gold per turn, almost 1K culture per turn and I was bombing musketmen with stealth bombers. I've never recovered so completely before.

Also, I finally won a domination game in Civilization! I can't remember the last time I did it because it was alway such a pain in the ass in Civ 3 and 4. Armed engagements are way more fun with the hexes and no more than 1 unit per tile change.

Yeah, I hadn't won a Domination victory in 3 or 4 in ages, I went for Culture or Science 9/10. But I've won Dom victories in 5 more times than not so far.

Trying this time around for a culture win, and it's proving a little harder. I let Arabia get too far advanced and now they're steamrolling everyone in their path. I hope that I can get to nukes before him, or at least before he builds one, and drop it on his capitol, that should take him out of the game so I can get my last few policies.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klatu wrote: »
    Trying this time around for a culture win, and it's proving a little harder. I let Arabia get too far advanced and now they're steamrolling everyone in their path. I hope that I can get to nukes before him, or at least before he builds one, and drop it on his capitol, that should take him out of the game so I can get my last few policies.

This right here? This is very, very funny.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm loving the changes to the single unit stacking and easy viewable outcomes of fights.

Just need to remember the commands to cycle through sleeping units, since I hate automating my workers, the fuckers almost starved a few cities to death from building trade outposts.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has the "load game from within the game (i.e., during a turn) and it pads the file with several copies of a weird string of characters every time, gradually inflating load times" bug been fixed yet?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Man I finally got that cultural victory. Felt good.

It was with Darius on a Prince.

At the end, it was me, Napoleon and Hiawatha. They had 20-30 cities each... I had three. I kept my cities relevant by almost perpetual golden ages (Darius + Chichen Itza? Yes please!) fueled by burning great people and keeping my people very very happy.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Whats the mechanism on golden ages and happyness interaction when you've already got a GA going? I know saccing a Great person into it adds turns, and building GA buildings adds turns, but I dont see happyness doing so...

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Teyar wrote: »
    Whats the mechanism on golden ages and happyness interaction when you've already got a GA going? I know saccing a Great person into it adds turns, and building GA buildings adds turns, but I dont see happyness doing so...

Just in case you didn't know, any positive happiness is saved up. If you reach a certain amount of saved up happiness it will trigger a long golden age IIRC 20 turns. The amount needed increases every time GA is actived this way. During a GA the current happiness will not effect the GA in anyway. If the GA is not triggered using happiness, the saved up amount of happiness is frozen and will resume after the golden age has ended. Remember that a negative happiness will drain the saved up happiness till it reaches zero.

Has anyone tried to play One City Challange? It's really exciting to play, especially when you have a good starting position. In my current game I'm surrounded by city states and have 5 spices near my city. I keep selling my spices to the other civ and to fuel my influence on the city states. I'm going to keep giving units to the city states so they will wage wars for me. I'm just hoping I will survive long enough.

johnwing on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Prince is getting too easy for me but I'm scared of jumping up to a difficulty where I'm given an unfair ruleset and the computer can cheat. Convince me it will be okay.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    While it's true that on higher difficulty the AI gets unfair advantages, it does provide bigger challange. For me it's even more satisfying beating a cheating AI. You will have a rocky start but after a while it shouldn't be to difficult to gain the lead. All the while you need to be more cautious on your decisions because you know the AI will be stronger than you. I generally disregard the fact that the AI is cheating and try to win in the face of it. I like playing the underdog.

johnwing on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    johnwing wrote: »
    Teyar wrote: »

Just in case you didn't know, any positive happiness is saved up. If you reach a certain amount of saved up happiness it will trigger a long golden age IIRC 20 turns. The amount needed increases every time GA is actived this way. During a GA the current happiness will not effect the GA in anyway. If the GA is not triggered using happiness, the saved up amount of happiness is frozen and will resume after the golden age has ended. Remember that a negative happiness will drain the saved up happiness till it reaches zero.

Has anyone tried to play One City Challange? It's really exciting to play, especially when you have a good starting position. In my current game I'm surrounded by city states and have 5 spices near my city. I keep selling my spices to the other civ and to fuel my influence on the city states. I'm going to keep giving units to the city states so they will wage wars for me. I'm just hoping I will survive long enough.

I did! Bismarck and then Xerxes or whoever tried to invade me, and I successfully fought them off by buying tons of units and with all the advantages from the gajillion wonders I'd built.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    While it's true that on higher difficulty the AI gets unfair advantages, it does provide bigger challange. For me it's even more satisfying beating a cheating AI. You will have a rocky start but after a while it shouldn't be to difficult to gain the lead. All the while you need to be more cautious on your decisions because you know the AI will be stronger than you. I generally disregard the fact that the AI is cheating and try to win in the face of it. I like playing the underdog.

Man, the AI is still retarded even on King.

Egypt was continually talking smack to me so I quietly built up a small strike force, an archer, a warrior and a couple scouts with a few turns to my first horseman being ready. I attack, taking a worker and killing a warrior in the opening salvo.

He had no more units, at all. Why the fuck was he continually taunting me?

Later on Alexander complained "I had units near his borders", the nearest unit was a scout and it was around 7 squares from his borders. WTF?

Then Caesar decided to attack a city state the round after I bought it into ally-dom......while my entire army was surrounding his borders and intermixed with his army moving to take out the city-state.

Just having a functioning brain pretty much means you can kick the crap out of any of the AI with ease.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hehehe.. I just won the game with 2 catapults, 2 archers, and 4 warriors.

Of course, by the end of the game it was 2 rocket artillery and 6 mechanized infantry.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Teehee, proxy wars by gifting destroyers and infantry to a city-state that Greece is at war with. Some cold war shit going on.

Echo on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lame. Started a huge earth map in the middle of Greece (as Greece) with no resources and nothing but lush, settler-blocking forest as far as the eye could see.

Jintor on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    new week, new thread.... my free copy via winning some amazon gift card should arrive today. Free Civ V, yes please

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Lame. Started a huge earth map in the middle of Greece (as Greece) with no resources and nothing but lush, settler-blocking forest as far as the eye could see.

wonder rush and cut down all the trees for production!

alternately: play the Iroquois, they're awesome.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Iroquois are pretty cool, although they feel like the french after a certain point. Road-Forests are only good until you get railroads. And you know you're going to be using several production heavy towns if you're playing Hiawatha: you will want those railroads. Longhouse always maintains some usefulness, thankfully. I think I like building-based civilizations this best for this reason. Their buildings are always useful throughout the game.

I feel like I'm done with this game though. I can't seem to find a challenge that particularly engages me. I beat the game on Deity, and on Immortal several times. I recently tried a 5 emperor computer versus me team battle engagement, but it was very easy. Depressingly so. The AI is just so bad at any sort of military engagement. I'm just at a loss for what to try next and I don't feel that overwhelming desire to jump into a game immediately when I get home from school like I did initially.

It's my first Civilization game but it feels sort of shallow now.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I like the game, but it needs some mods and some patching.

What mods are out there worth looking at?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Guh Im tired today after I one more turned myself till 3 am.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    I like the game, but it needs some mods and some patching.

What mods are out there worth looking at?

So far the only serious mod I've tried is this one, actually a compilation of balance mini-mods put together by a very intelligent guy at Civfanatics.

It doesn't fix the crazy AI but the game plays fairly differently if you enable every one of the components. A lot of choices become real posers instead of one option clearly presenting itself as the best, which I guess is the point of re-balancing things. For example, buffs to Great Person tile improvements mean it's not always best to burn most of your GPs for a Golden Age anymore.

Follow that link to read about the rest of the changes, and to follow the (quite intelligent and not frothing at all) discussion thread at Civfanatics.

Captain K on
  • Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So if I clear a jungle and build a farm, does my food production go DOWN?

It seems that this is what the game is telling me

Keamien on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How often did Civ4 get patched? I'm waiting for a couple patches in before I sink my teeth in again.

I love this game, but there were a few rough edges.. patching will fix it all...

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I too would like to see patches soon, but don't forget about mods, some of them are pretty great. For example:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=385737
    also the luxury resource tab mod is a must.

TheStig on
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The resource limitation is interesting. I feel like a use a bigger variety of units because of it.

For instance, I was in a war with only 1 iron square giving me 2 iron. This gave me enough for 2 catapults but I was fighting France which had tons of swordsman. I was able to win because I massed Hoplites which were close enough in strength to go toe to toe with their swordsman.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    horse units are great when you're short on iron.
    Also try to trade other nations for iron if possible, it can make a huge difference.

TheStig on
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    horse units are great when you're short on iron.
    Also try to trade other nations for iron if possible, it can make a huge difference.

Unfortunately everyone hates me too much for conquering things. On the bright side, it's 1000 AD and I have gunpowder. Unfortunately my hoplites can't be upgraded to musketmen? Fortunately new units in my capital get 2 free exp upgrades.

I finally have horses but they are kind of pointless now. I guess knights are still cool. I havn't found cavalry to be very helpful. They are powerful but always seem to die quick. Ranged units seem to be better.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    I too would like to see patches soon, but don't forget about mods, some of them are pretty great. For example:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=385737
    also the luxury resource tab mod is a must.

Thanks for this! :)

Maybe i'll start a game tmrw

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Man, the AI is still retarded even on King.

Egypt was continually talking smack to me so I quietly built up a small strike force, an archer, a warrior and a couple scouts with a few turns to my first horseman being ready. I attack, taking a worker and killing a warrior in the opening salvo.

He had no more units, at all. Why the fuck was he continually taunting me?

Later on Alexander complained "I had units near his borders", the nearest unit was a scout and it was around 7 squares from his borders. WTF?

Then Caesar decided to attack a city state the round after I bought it into ally-dom......while my entire army was surrounding his borders and intermixed with his army moving to take out the city-state.

Just having a functioning brain pretty much means you can kick the crap out of any of the AI with ease.

I think the bit with Caesar is that the AI takes a decision to attack someone a bunch of turns before it actually attacks and won't be disuaded. For example I've seen an AI move troops near my borders, give him all kinds of incentives not to attack and he'll still do it even though he's vastly outnumbered.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure what kind of bug it is. But for some reason my supply of horses keep growing. Every time I make a trade away horses and the deal ends it increases my horse supply. Currently I got 927 horses i can trade away....

johnwing on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    My game is bugged. I had war with Montezuma (he declared) that we did the 10 turn peace on in 1990s. It's now 2023 and it's still not letting me declare war on him (or his defense pact buddy Gandhi). Anyone know how I can "unbug" this?
    Anyone know how to fix this?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    .. Nevermind, now I can't even load the save file after the latest crash, just crashes it again with a runtime exception as soon as I try.
    Great gameplay, terrible programming.

Now I'm really pissed.. it was such a nail biting game for much of it since most known civs were at war with me the whole game just about, and I get so close to the end and - DENIED. Phlaff.. (spit sound)

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Try one of the autosaves?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.