As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sid Meier's Civilization V: future tech lets you make new threads

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    No. It was phenomenally rare in IV to lose tanks to spearmen (or whatever). In V I haven't seen it occur at all.

I played a lot of IV and saw it all the time.

Tommatt on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Don't send half-dead tanks to fight spearmen, then :P

In V you -can- still lose higher tech units to lower tech units, especially if they're damaged, and especially if the latter has a variety of large bonuses.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    stfuad wrote: »
    IS there any way to launch the DX10/11 version of the game without the loader popping up?

Rename Launcher.exe to Launcher.exeb
    Rename CivlizationV_DX11.exe to Launcher.exe

You'll have to redo this when the game patches.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tommatt wrote: »
    No. It was phenomenally rare in IV to lose tanks to spearmen (or whatever). In V I haven't seen it occur at all.

It is far more rare then it was in past games. I pretty much steam rolled a behind the times army with one attack helicopter. Use bottle necks and the one army to a tile to your advantage and you can pretty much crush all armies who are below you.

Game seems over once you get Infantry!

DrunkMc on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is really getting on my nerves.

I can't simply save and exit my games because when I load them up again they look like this:
    (Notice the missing textures in the middle and on the mountains to the right)
    2rqn23d.jpg

and run like total shit even though the game ran fine before I exited.

I searched but apparently nobody else has this problem. D:

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tommatt wrote: »

By all the time, you mean a couple times when the tank had 1 or 2 HP left and attacked a spearman on a fort, on a forested hill, across a river, with lots of promotions.

Don't exagerate. We all played Civ 4 as much or more than you. It was rare and pretty much able to be ignored.

Those patch changes sound amazing. I hope most of them make it in. It needs some more help for the AI, but it looks like they are focusing on the engine, UI, and fundamentals first. Probably for the best.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm finally facing a serious AI challenge. Continuing my game as Napoleon, Large Earth map, Standard speed, King difficulty. I've eradicated Gandhi in continental Europe and cleansed Scandinavia of Askia. I conquered the few cities Darius had left in the Gobi Desert and made peace with Wu Zetian when my forays into Africa stalled.

Now I'm facing Siam, who controls the entire eastern half of Asia and who knows what else. After offering peace himself, and maintaining it for a couple of dozen turns he's now mercilessly sending troops toward the former Persian cities I've conquered (a couple of which were most recently Siamese) and I'm not making any headway whatsoever. I had to burn a Great General to build a Citadel just to make holding the front lines a remote possiblity.

This is the toughest combat I've ever faced against any AI so far. He's actually killing my units, he's actually threatening my cities, and he's 10-15 turns ahead of me in military research. Plus I'm pretty sure he outproduces me by 2 to 1 or 3 to 1. Pretty intense stuff!

This is using the "Balance" mod, as I mentioned before, which may have something to do with Siam's increased production. But regardless, I'm now much more impressed with what the AI is capable of. I really hope that after some more AI improvements, it will be possible to have this kind of fun, challenging experience on Prince difficulty.

Captain K on
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, it's one of these days again...

Egypt, Large Earth, King. Started in South Africa, no resources worth mentioning. Met Napoleon on the Arabian Peninsular, who immediately went on a city-state killing spree. Got my first settler snatched by barbs from outta nowhere.

:?

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »

I can't simply save and exit my games because when I load them up again they look like this:
    2rqn23d.jpg

zoom in and the detail should pop back in. its happens to me when i load a saved game. Have to spend a minute or so going over the map as the highres detail comes back in.

GaryO on
    edited October 2010

2rqn23d.jpg

Leak + not enough memory. I get that too on higher graphics settings. On my current settings I get that whenever I load the game; after about ten seconds the computer updates the textures to look right for every visible tile (as soon as I scroll away, the tiles go wonky again). Annoying but it doesn't really hamper gameplay for me.

I have no idea how to fix it, myself. Turn down the graphics settings really, really low just to finish that scenario?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    edited October 2010
    My computer should (and usually does) run Civ5 quite well on the highest settings.

I tried waiting/zooming in/out and so forth but the textures just won't pop back up. Also turns take way longer to complete than before and I experience severe FPS drops. It's like the game thinks I downgraded my PC. :?

On a different note: Fuck barbarians.

Ferrus on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You think that's bad. This is what I get constantly in the late game.
    w4oEE.jpg

This is with all the settings on low/med.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited October 2010
    Holy crap. D:

Ferrus on
  • stfuadstfuad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Suds wrote: »
    stfuad wrote: »
    IS there any way to launch the DX10/11 version of the game without the loader popping up?

Rename Launcher.exe to Launcher.exeb
    Rename CivlizationV_DX11.exe to Launcher.exe

You'll have to redo this when the game patches.

Nice! Thanks.

stfuad on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    smof wrote: »
    You think that's bad. This is what I get constantly in the late game.
    w4oEE.jpg

This is with all the settings on low/med.

Hail, fellow member of the need a new computer club!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It sucks. It really shouldn't run THAT badly. I don't understand what bit of my PC is letting it down.

If I ever get a job I am going to buy a new computer so hard.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited October 2010
    Is there any use to signing pacts of cooperation?

All that ever happens is the AI asking me for luxuries or money and then getting pissed when I turn them down.

How about you help me with this goddamn war over here, you lazy bastard? And THEN we'll see about me giving you cash.

Ferrus on
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there any use to signing pacts of cooperation?

All that ever happens is the AI asking me for luxuries or money and then getting pissed when I turn them down.

How about you help me with this goddamn war over here, you lazy bastard? And THEN we'll see about me giving you cash.

Maybe if you help them with cash, they'll go to war?

Just saying -- going to war is a much bigger commitment then some cash or luxuries

Serpent on
    edited October 2010
    The AI doesn't really need money to begin with, at least on King.

I've tried trading money/luxuries for a DOW on my current enemy but they always refuse.

Ferrus on
    edited October 2010
    Just finished my current game as Suleiman on King/Earth/Quick.

Diplomatic victory, which was pretty easy. The only war was against Montezuma right at the start. Well, that and a proxy war where I gifted units to Stockholm (In South America) so they could fend off the Greeks.

I also got the To Stand The Test Of Time achievement, yay!

Ferrus on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Goddamn you Askia. Launch two surprise attacks while I'm engaged in scouting Greater Europe? You'll pay for this. I'm on to your dirty tricks.

Jintor on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No, no, you mean "You'll pay for this in time."

Captain K on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So for a diplomatic victory would it be poor form to actually launch an attack purely to liberate nation-states?

Jintor on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Liberating people is the best excuse for a war, especially if they have oil.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • HibernusHibernus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Goddamn you Askia. Launch two surprise attacks while I'm engaged in scouting Greater Europe? You'll pay for this. I'm on to your dirty tricks.

Askia is probably the biggest dick AI in the game.

Nobody attacks me as much as he does.

Hibernus on
  • Mattitude87Mattitude87 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Liberating people is the best excuse for a war, especially if they have oil.

I liberate the shit out of cities with a luxury I don't currently possess.

Mattitude87 on
    League of Legends: Mattagascar
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So for a diplomatic victory would it be poor form to actually launch an attack purely to liberate nation-states?

That's actually the best strat for a diplo victory that I've found - the major AIs will probably never vote for you anyway, but liberated city-states are guaranteed to vote for you. Liberate as many as you can, then bribe the rest and you should win easily.

a5ehren on
  • BatmantisBatmantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why does the "pledge to protect" thing on city states randomly end? I'll be playing along and the ai suddenly attacks one of my city states because my pledge decided to expire without warning me in any way. Awesome, so now I have to declare war on that player and all the other ai hate me for starting a war!

Batmantis on
    Play with me people!
    LOL: Batmantis
    MTGO: Batmantis88
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you're more powerful than a nation that's at war with a friendly city-state they will typically stop their war if you ask them to.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The way the AI determines power though is ridiculously weighted towards the number of units controlled and not the the power of the units which at least for me means the AI always thinks my army is weak even though I can crush them.

khain on
    edited October 2010
    a5ehren wrote: »

That's actually the best strat for a diplo victory that I've found - the major AIs will probably never vote for you anyway, but liberated city-states are guaranteed to vote for you. Liberate as many as you can, then bribe the rest and you should win easily.

The votes are mainly determined by wether or not you're allied with the city states.

Allies = Vote. Friends = Abstain.

Liberating them automatically makes you allies. I never tried this for liberated civilizations though. I suspect the ungrateful asses still won't vote for you.

Ferrus on
  • EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    a5ehren wrote: »

The votes are mainly determined by wether or not you're allied with the city states.

Allies = Vote. Friends = Abstain.

Liberating them automatically makes you allies. I never tried this for liberated civilizations though. I suspect the ungrateful asses still won't vote for you.

I got a vote from a liberated civ that just sort of disliked me, I doubt the one that was openly hostile would've though

EggPuppet on
    edited October 2010
    do you still lose influence with city states you've liberated over time?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    smof wrote: »
    do you still lose influence with city states you've liberated over time?

Yes, but they'll still automatically vote for you as long as you were the one who most recently liberated them.

And liberated civilizations vote for you in the UN too. However...they may declare war on you despite this. Egypt in their one city I gave back to them one game thought it would be a brilliant idea to join in on a tag team on me (it wasn't).

Savant on
    edited October 2010
    Yes. You just get an awful lot of influence but it still goes down over time.

Ferrus on
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i just bought this, im glad that i didnt start with ghandi about, but napoleon was right underneath me.

he pursuaded me to go to war with him against ceaser, and with me bombarding his city of altma, napoleon stole it from under me!

it made me feel a little dumb when ceaser offered me 200 gold, 30 gold a turn, gems and marble to stop pounding rome, and i refused, thinking napoleon would keep attacking.

instead he gave all that dosh to the short bastard.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
    edited October 2010
    A Korean acquaintance tells me that Civ V is popular there now. He sent me this as proof.

I suspect my sanity is better off for not being able to read it...

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game is fun.

Oh wait I'm still playing Civ 4... :(

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Siege weapons are kind of crazy against units, which strikes me as weird. There's an entrenched Trebuchet I think I need to wait for cavalry to kill.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Siege weapons are really squishy in melee combat. Unless they are hiding in a city or something you should be able to take it out with any unit that can get inside its range in 1 turn.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
This discussion has been closed.