As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Let me mention that Spicebox Cinnamon Whiskey is the devil.

Or, after you've had a few swigs of what you would swear is Cinnamon candy in drink form:

"Tjhais whsdfisky iksd awssdfume"

Holy crap that stuff is good. It tastes like those cinnamon hard candies.

And then you're drunk at 3PM

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    from reddit:

Forensic scientist recreates the face of the Crystal Skull Vodka bottle.

JApwKrW.jpg
    vLIfOaZ.jpg
    4H7zloo.jpg

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Well that will give me nightmares!

Time for a drink.

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Used my Tax Refund to buy my first bottle of Lagavulin 16. My decision probably based mostly upon this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HgTPs2_ut8

Doesn't disappoint.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    SDeathSDeath Registered User regular
    Hmmmm this thread just made me want to go to the liquor store and grab a six pack of MGD! Thanks, I think ?

• Options
    Or should I go for fireball....ohhh decisions, decisions....

• Options
    They need to come out with a vodka called "lightning bolt"

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    DHS wrote: »
    Used my Tax Refund to buy my first bottle of Lagavulin 16. My decision probably based mostly upon this video:

Doesn't disappoint.

Yeah, Lagavulin 16 is probably the jewel of my drink cabinet. Not that I have many bottles anyway, but it's my favorite whisky. Followed closely by Laphroaig 10 as a more "everyday" sorta drink. I'd like to try some cask strength Laphroaig, but I haven't had a chance(and I can't justify having two bottles of Laphroaig in my cabinet when I drink quite rarely overall).

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    So, alcohol thread.

I'm hitting up the liquor store later today and was planning to pick up some gin. My go-to since I started getting back into gin has been Hendricks but I'd like to branch out. Can anybody recommend something with a similar character that I might like at an equal or (preferably) slightly lower price point?

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    plymouth is delightful

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Well that will give me nightmares!

Time for a drink.

We must toast to the precious.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    So, alcohol thread.

I'm hitting up the liquor store later today and was planning to pick up some gin. My go-to since I started getting back into gin has been Hendricks but I'd like to branch out. Can anybody recommend something with a similar character that I might like at an equal or (preferably) slightly lower price point?

See, the thing about Hendrick's is that it's a pretty unique floral gin. It has so much rose and cucumber that it nearly overpowers the traditional juniper.

Other quality gins at a similar price point would be the aforementioned Plymouth, as well as Tanqueray 10. The 10 part is important. Lately, I've been drinking a good bit of Gordon's Dry, but only as the main component to the Vesper martini. I've never tried it with just tonic.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, I eyed Plymouth but it was a little more than I wanted to spend today, so I wound up coming home with a bottle of this from a local distillery. Haven't tried it yet, working on a bottle of barleywine that I've had kicking around for a few weeks that I'd forgotten I bought.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I would recommend oola before batch 206

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    So, alcohol thread.

UGU82Xd.jpg

:winky:

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    DHS wrote: »

Doesn't disappoint.

Yeah, Lagavulin 16 is probably the jewel of my drink cabinet. Not that I have many bottles anyway, but it's my favorite whisky. Followed closely by Laphroaig 10 as a more "everyday" sorta drink. I'd like to try some cask strength Laphroaig, but I haven't had a chance(and I can't justify having two bottles of Laphroaig in my cabinet when I drink quite rarely overall).

My problem with Lagavulin is that I drink it too damn quick. I could probably drink the entire bottle in a sitting it's so good.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    by the end it would probably be more of a lying than a sitting

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    by the end it would probably be more of a lying than a sitting

Eh, I've drank a full bottle of whisky before, I was still mostly upright.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i actually prefer bluecoat to hendrick's by a smidge

a little more assertive when mixed

has anyone tried junipero gin? i'm gonna try picking up a bottle of that

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    On the gin front.

MAGELLAN_GIN.jpg

Pretty good, and it's actually that cool blue color because of the iris, not just a food coloring.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    I just discovered this yesterday evening.
    img_home_vanilla_cinnamon_2.png

Its going in my coffee now.
    And my French Toast.
    And my veins.

I'm gonna have to hit the gym afterward.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular

I don't much care for the cask strength, honestly. The normal octane stuff is balanced just perfectly as it is.

Tried some Armenian brandy, and I'm quite pleased with it. A 5-year bottle of Noy, and the same vintage of Ararat for comparison. I'm leaning toward the Ararat, but they're both very smooth and tasty.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Cool, I figured it wasn't especially worth trying since I already enjoy 10yo plenty.

• Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    I got a bottle of Bombay Sapphire for my birthday, and I've been making lots and lots of sun tea lately. A little bit of gin in some iced tea is heavenly.

• Options
    Samphis wrote: »
    I got a bottle of Bombay Sapphire for my birthday, and I've been making lots and lots of sun tea lately. A little bit of gin in some iced tea is heavenly.

It's not my favorite drink, but I'll say this for gin. The top tier of most distilled spirits can be fairly expensive. But it's not easy, and perhaps not possible depending on your personal tastes, to top Sapphire.

Even regular Bombay tastes like mouthwash compared to Sapphire, and it's a measly few dollars difference. I wish my favorite cognacs were available in a similar price range.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Cool, I figured it wasn't especially worth trying since I already enjoy 10yo plenty.

Plus, the other Laphroaigs are much nicer diversions. The triple wood is one of my favorites of theirs.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Samphis wrote: »

It's not my favorite drink, but I'll say this for gin. The top tier of most distilled spirits can be fairly expensive. But it's not easy, and perhaps not possible depending on your personal tastes, to top Sapphire.

Even regular Bombay tastes like mouthwash compared to Sapphire, and it's a measly few dollars difference. I wish my favorite cognacs were available in a similar price range.

Unless you hate sapphire, think it tastes like perfume, and would order beefeater first, though tanguray ten is, you know, not actually bad.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    sapphire is a pretty awful gin

• Options
    sapphire is a pretty awful gin

To each his own. Works for me. And yeah, as red points out, tanqueray ten is pretty good. Point is, gin tops out at a fairly reasonable price range.

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Got a bottle of Green Spot as a party favor for St. Patrick's day. Fun part is getting it from AZ to the party/pub crawl in Chicago. And not cracking it open in the meantime.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Made a Martinez with ransom gin and it's one of the best cocktails I've ever made

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    ransom is really incredibly stuff. i have only ever used it for martinezes and aviations but it is fantastic in those.

i'm not at all a fan of sapphire mostly because it is really not versatile. you can use it in martinis or you can use it straight - it's fine for those. anything else and all those floral perfume notes are going to interfere.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Patron is my entire social circle's go to for Margaritas but it seems rather expensive. Is the quality of its tequillaness really that high?

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Cantido wrote: »
    Patron is my entire social circle's go to for Margaritas but it seems rather expensive. Is the quality of its tequillaness really that high?

it's a waste in margaritas. get el jimador reposado if you're mixing. spend more if you're sipping.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

it is not. Patron is tequila for people that don't like tequila but love going "Wwwoooooo Tequila Shots!!!"
    They purposefully filter out the agave flavor.

Also, Jose Cuervo isn't even tequila. Check your liquor store for anything that says "100% Blue Agave" and "Hecho en Mexico". There are some amazing values out there that make damn fine margies.

• Options
    Irond Will wrote: »
    it's a waste in margaritas. get el jimador reposado if you're mixing. spend more if you're sipping.

El Jimador is good stuff. Even for shots or sipping.

Picked up a bottle of Scorpion mezcal, which is good but overpriced due to their 'hook' which is a pickled specimen of some harmless variety of scorpion hanging out at the bottom of the bottle in place of the more familiar-but-just-as-gimmicky worm. Still good for pulling out to make an impression on some squeamish houseguest.

• Options
    Espelon is the best value in tequila these days. $20 bottle that tastes like it should be $50.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Old fashioned:

Gin (I used Gun Club from Sun Liquor)
    Sugar
    Cardamom bitters
    Peel an orange and zest it over the top

You can thank me later

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Old fashioned:

Gin (I used Gun Club from Sun Liquor)
    Sugar
    Cardamom bitters
    Peel an orange and zest it over the top

You can thank me later

That's uh...

You should just give that a name cause it ain't an Old Fashioned.

But now I need to go find and buy cardamom bitters.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Gin old fashions are a thing

A delicious thing