As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Espolon availability here is hit or miss.

Recommend me a tequila that is of a comparable value. $20-$30/bottle range.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    DHS wrote: »
    Got some Laphroaig 10 cask strength on a whim.

That is some potent juju.

Most Islays are pretty potent.

Yes, but most aren't 110 proof.

Yeah, I gave someone a sample who was more of a tame blended scotch kinda person and was immediately accused of poisoning them.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    TehSloth wrote: »
    redx wrote: »

Yes, but most aren't 110 proof.

Yeah, I gave someone a sample who was more of a tame blended scotch kinda person and was immediately accused of poisoning them.

No lie, after getting used to Islay (and other peaty/smoky) whiskys, trying something like Jameson tastes to me like it's been legitimately watered down.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

How's the Cazadores pricing? That's good stuff too.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

How's the Cazadores pricing? That's good stuff too.

Hmm... Not sure. I will have to look into that.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Most Islays are 40% like all other whiskeys.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2014
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Why, it bruises it or some shit?

No. "Bruising" is bullshit. Liquor doesn't bruise and shaking it or storing it in your freezer rather than at room temperature won't make a lick of difference. If liquor did bruise then every bottle you purchased would have wildly different flavor profiles because some of the crates would have bounced around on the highway more than others.

That being said; there are two key aspects of a drink that will make a difference. They are water and temperature. Water and temperature will make different flavors come out of your drink. When adding water, the chemical composition of the water in the liquor and the water you're adding will be different, resulting in adding of some flavors (depending on your local water taste) and removal of others. Temperature only matters for your tongue; not how the liquor is stored.

When making a Manhattan, shaking versus stirring won't make a huge amount of difference. However it will chip the ice while will mean that the drink has more water in it than normal. This will change the flavor of the drink, but probably not enough for you to notice unless you're a big Manhattan drinker.

Traditionally "spirit forward" drinks are stirred, to prevent water from getting into the drink. That is, in general, a good idea for any drink that does not require shaking for other reasons*, since a stirred drink will have a more consistent flavor over location. That is, if you shake a drink at your house and then shake a drink in Texas the shaken drink at your house will taste more different than the one in Texas than if you had stirred.

So basically "Serve drinks at the right temperature, shake them if you want but stir them to be consistent and spirit forward"

*For instance a Fizz, which needs to be shaken in order to get the frothyness. Some ingredients will froth or cloud when shaken as air gets into them but none of the ingredients in a Manhattan.

between the thaw and the air mixed in, a shaken drink tends to lose whatever unctuousness it might have had before. if mouthfeel is important to the drink - like it is in a martini or a manhattan or a martinez - then shaking isn't really advised unless removing the unctiousness and imparting a kind of frothiness is the desired effect

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

Most Islays are 40% like all other whiskeys.

I was kinda referring to the taste, and not the percentage. Sorry about the confusion.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    A bit of seaching on Google says Laphroaig is 43% in the US and 40% in Canada and Europe. My bottle of Lagavulin is also 43%.

In other news I got a bottle of creme de violette. What can I make besides Aviations with it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Mix some berries with some sugar, a dash of fresh lemon juice and creme de violette and serve over vanilla ice cream.

I've also used it in the filling for macaroons and in a creme brulé.

• Options
    Mmmmmmm, Lagavulin. I love it so much, but can't be trusted to have it in the house. I could honestly drink the whole thing in one long sitting and have zero regrets.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I was perusing Total Wine the other day and took a chance on a bottle of 12yr Label 5 blended scotch, curious to see what twelve bucks (plus tax) would get me in a lower-shelf whisky. This stuff isn't messing around. It's a legitimately good blend, particularly for the price which is down in neutral-spirits territory. Not replacing my Laphroaig and Dimple Pinch any time soon, but I'm not pushing it to the back of the cabinet, either.

Someone asked about good tequila in the $20-30 range? El Jimador reposado, for my money. Their anejo can be difficult to find, but still fits within your range.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I don't like drinking a lot. Ironically, drinking heavily prevents me from sleeping. Then in the morning, I'm a shivering, hung over wreck.

Tack on nausea if Jaeger is involved.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Tried Johnny Walker Green.

It's pretty legit. I definitely like it better than black or red.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Made some cherry infused bourbon last month, finally took it out of the fridge and strained it. The bourbon tastes fantastic and has a lovely deep purple color.

Next up is to see how the jar I made with Rainier cherries did.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    And so it begins...
    YbFxJ5r.jpg

Babbies first bottle.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Espelon is the best value in tequila these days. $20 bottle that tastes like it should be $50.

Picked up a bottle and been enjoying it.
    Ice-filled rocks glass
    2oz tequila
    1/2 oz lime juice
    Top with tonic water

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I don't like drinking a lot. Ironically, drinking heavily prevents me from sleeping. Then in the morning, I'm a shivering, hung over wreck.

why ironically? alcohol is known to inhibit sleep

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »

why ironically? alcohol is known to inhibit sleep

some people don't know that because it seems counterintuitive

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    alcohol doesn't inhibit sleep. Coming off of it inhibits sleep(because, essentially, your body is waking up). Alcohol is a depressant, it tends to make people tired.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    alcohol doesn't inhibit sleep. Coming off of it inhibits sleep(because, essentially, your body is waking up). Alcohol is a depressant, it tends to make people tired.

yeah but it inhibits your REM cycle or something like that. you pass out but you don't really sleep

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    If there are fans of bourbon in here who haven't tried Barterhouse, I'd recommend it. A friend and myself went through a bottle in a night without even realizing it. Delicious.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    http://youtu.be/F_ivP4xqeZo

Laphroaig doesn't give a fuck.
    You don't like our scotch? Fuck you and your dumb opinion. No one cares what you think, peasant.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Deebaser wrote: »

You don't like our scotch? Fuck you and your dumb opinion. No one cares what you think, peasant.

In all fairness, they cared enough to film these people's reaction. That's pretty boss.

They just acknowledge that their product is polarizing, like an aged, unique single malt should be. And I wouldn't have it any other way. The last thing I want is for my favorite dram to become an overpriced trophy bottle because of unhinged media hype and crazy demand. On the bourbon side, just look at what happened with Pappy Van Winkle.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    [om nom nom]

effff I still need to get a new bottle of that.

I have too many other whiskies to drink and not enough money to justify.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I was having a discussion with my buddy and we realized neither of us know anything about rum beyond what we learned in college (it's sweet oh godblajaskfhavxuigh). Any suggestions from the drunk thread on where to learn or what to buy? Or should we just stay away as the landscape is fairly flat and gross?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Ron Zacapa 23 if you want something to sip on. Not even that expensive!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    Cruzan black strap navy rum is good, and Kraken is basically the same but comes in a neat-o bottle. Both good, dark rum and a world apart from the spiced garbage that was likely your first brush with the stuff in college.

Also, I strongly recommend you steer clear of cachaça, or sugarcane rum. I cannot stress this enough.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Seconding the advice to steer clear of cachaça. It got a lot of hype during the World Cup because Brazil, but it's not good. I picked up a bottle out of curiosity, it smells like old bananas and tastes like hand sanitizer.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

Hah, love the reactions.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Seconding the advice to steer clear of cachaça. It got a lot of hype during the World Cup because Brazil, but it's not good. I picked up a bottle out of curiosity, it smells like old bananas and tastes like hand sanitizer.

Learn how to make a proper Caipirinha and your eyes will be opened.

• Options
    Appleton 12 year is a solid aged rum and can be sipped like whiskey

There are some nice rums out there but you need to do some digging it's not nearly as popular as bourbon

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Got my bro a dope islay for enjoying before his bachelor party a couple weekends ago, can't believe I don't remember the name -- about half of us there had laphroaig before but the rest were uninitiated into peaty scotches but it seemed to go over well.

Much better than the last time I introduced someone to it and they accused me of poisoning them.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The 18 Year Laphroaig is god-like. I describe it as having the "taste of capitalism".

• Options
    Blackadder Peat Reek is some real nice smoky Islay single-malt, as well. It's quite nuanced, like Laphroaig. Where your typical novelty scotch with an earthy name like "Massive Great Peaty Bastard" comes on awfully strong and misses out on the rest of the Islay flavor profile. I know, right? Who saw that coming?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The Balvenie needed company.
    edit: With a big image apparently. Got Lapphroaig Triple Wood.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Your whisky collection could be just those two bottles and I'd say you had a good collection.

• Options
    The Balvenie was a gift, picked up the other tonight. I like to keep a bottle of Tullamore around too, for when I need to rinse my glasses :) . Kidding, it's nice one when I want something easy.

• Options
    king_sleepking_sleep Registered User regular
    When did Balvenie get so expensive? I bought the 15 year old for $65.00 and now it's like $100 +. Also has anyone tried Ardbeg Auriverdes, I have seen at Bevmo and want to know if it's something I should grab or pass over. I have the Uigeadail and Corryvreckan.

3DS Friend Code:4596-9457-3563
  • Options
    Mmm triple wood.

I just picked up a new bottle of Laphroaig 10.

I think it's pay day. :D