As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Out at dinner tonight ordered a glass of pappy van winkle 10 year on the rocks. Was pretty excited because I've never been somewhere that carries it, only to see it come out filled to the brim with ice chips like it's a margarita or a Cosmo. Now I could have been more direct in how I ordered it, but still, how do you carry a bottle like that and not know how to serve it?

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Out at dinner tonight ordered a glass of pappy van winkle 10 year on the rocks. Was pretty excited because I've never been somewhere that carries it, only to see it come out filled to the brim with ice chips like it's a margarita or a Cosmo. Now I could have been more direct in how I ordered it, but still, how do you carry a bottle like that and not know how to serve it?

The few times I've seen it ordered it's very specifically "one rock" or neat for this reason I think. I can't say I've ever tried it myself though.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Oh god why.

Had a sazerac come out that way once, we sent it back.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Clearly your fault for ordering pappy on the rocks

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Clearly. Never gonna order a nice whiskey any way but neat again.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

Always order neat. If you want it on the rocks after a couple sips you can ask for a glass of ice and add in how much you want.

steam_sig.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Ouch. I can just imagine your surprise seeing that glass of ice set in front you.

Bar manager or owner may have gotten it, but server thought it was just another Jack or something.

Guess you were the Yang for my bartender and whisky story. Pretty sure I told it here about getting a wine goblet half-full of Japanese whisky because the girl didn't know what it was.

TNTrooper wrote: »

Always order neat. If you want it on the rocks after a couple sips you can ask for a glass of ice and add in how much you want.

Absolutely - I am pro adding water and ice to whiskey under certain circumstances but I wouldn't rely on a barkeep for that

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Ouch. I can just imagine your surprise seeing that glass of ice set in front you.

Bar manager or owner may have gotten it, but server thought it was just another Jack or something.

Guess you were the Yang for my bartender and whisky story. Pretty sure I told it here about getting a wine goblet half-full of Japanese whisky because the girl didn't know what it was.

Whenever a bartender doesn't know what neat means I tell them it's like on the rocks without the ice cause of you.

steam_sig.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Whenever a bartender doesn't know what neat means I tell them it's like on the rocks without the ice cause of you.

You know your bartender knows their shit if you order a whisky without specifying anything and get it neat, with a small glass of water to go along with it.

Rhan9 on
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    ummmm @chrisnl I think this is your thread for drinking advice.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    ummmm chrisnl I think this is your thread for drinking advice.

Yes it would seem that way. Thanks for the @ because I didn't find the thread initially (it was apparently buried I guess since the previous post was from July).

So I'm looking to try out some new alcoholic drinks, because this election season is a thing. The problem being I don't really drink hardly ever, so I have no idea what sort of things I would like to try. I know that I don't care too much for red wines (white wines I do like) or really dark beers. Lighter beers like Yuengling Lager and Blue Moon Belgian White (to name a couple of generic, fairly major brands I have tried) are alright, but not something I'm going to seek out on a regular basis. I have heard of root beer with alcohol in it, which sounds like something I could get behind. I also had a sample at a grocery store of some kind of mandarin orange flavored thing, maybe from Smirnoff? That was alright.

Anyway, any suggestions? Also @Goumindong said to bat-signal him.

steam_sig.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    As a fellow not-really-a-drinker (I like to joke that I have the palate of a British teenager), things I've tried and found to my liking:

Wine coolers (Seagrams makes a pretty nice assortment)
    Cider (aka 'hard' cider - but don't drink it just like it was apple juice, or on an empty stomach, or you'll have a bad time as I did)
    Citrusy mixed drinks (orange or pineapple juice with a little something for kick - either a citrus liqueur like curacao, limoncello, etc etc, or just a decent vodka or rum)
    Peach bellini (mmmm)

Haven't tried hard root beer yet, but as that's one of my very favorite soft drinks, it's on my short list now that I've been reminded.

Commander Zoom on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Ok so besides white wine, wheat beer, sour beer, there are a couple of things I have in mind.

But before that lets rundown on liquor

Whiskey is grain liquor that you can taste the grain. Whether it's wheat, barley, corn, rye or a mix. After that it's aged. Flavor comes from aging and grain and varies widely.

Vodka is liquor distilled until you cannot taste the grain. It's literally ethyl alcohol and water.

Gin is vodka redistilled with botanicals. Taste varies based on the herbs used. Mainly there is a line with "London dry" gins that tend to be more herbal and unlabeled which may be sweeter. However like whiskey the taste varies highly between brands and it's hard to tell until you taste it.

Liqueurs are simply liquors made not using one of those three procedures. They vary widely. Bitters are a type of liquor that is very potent in flavor

Vermouths are herbal wines and not a liquor as they are not distilled.

Ok with that out of the way cocktails.

There are essentially five cocktails and everything else is a play on them. They are the Martini, sour, old fashioned, punch, and shrub.

Old fashioned is a base liquor, sugar, and bitters. A sour is a base liquor plus a citrus. A martini is a base liquor plus wine(usually vermouth), a punch is a low liquor mix with a fruit juice, and a shrub is a mix of vinegar and liquor (usually with additionally soda). Obviously you're not limited by mixing (you can put citrus in an old fashioned and bitters in a martini) but more or less everything is a play on those basic components.

The shrub is hard to make so we will ignore it and go right to the others. Punches are super easy (1 sour, 2 sweet, 3 strong, and 4 weak) but I won't linger. Sours I don't think will be in your wheel house. (Edit: but they might be, everyone loves a margarita)

Old fashioned are typically the most simple. Bitters on top of a sugar cube then add 1 measure of liquor and stir. (I add a bit of hot water to make the cube dissolve faster). They're very liquor and bitters forward. When thinking about liquor and bitters you might like we go back to your white wine and light beer. Never use vodka in this. Just make it in the same glass you drink it in.

From there I suggest cardamom or aromatic bitters with a sweet gin. This will be light and herbal (but still very much liquory)

Martini is next and what I am thinking of most for you. Manhattans are martini type drinks buy we will just go with a super basic one

Gin or Vodka (2 measures) + vermouth (1measure) stir or shake over ice and pour straight up. Top with a lemon twist by twisting the peel over the drink so the oils sit on top(this will add flavor so don't forget it) (green olive or cocktail onion also popular but lemon is best)

The ease of these is that you can make both with the same bottle (a sweet gin is probably better for an introductory martini) and if you don't end up liking it white vermouth is super good over fish.(red as well) so you're unlikely to waste much. Also gin + tonic + lime (a punch) is a perennial favorite. If for some reason you can't get through the bottle with those drinks

Take care though that these are very boozy it's easy to over do it.

For the Gin I would suggest Hendricks. It's cucumber forward and very light and crisp.

Edit: tl;dr is

Buy bottle of Hendricks Gin. Buy small bottle of Peychauds or angostura bitters. But a bottle of white/dry vermouth.

Drink one is 1.5 oz gin, 1 sugar cube, and bitters to taste in the same glass you're drinking it out of. (Mix well or add some hot water before to dissolve sugar)

Drink two is 2 oz gin, 1 oz vermouth in a glass with ice. Then stir or shake and drain into another glass. Top with a twist of lemon peel

If neither of those work the vermouth cooks all your fish (Gin won't be bad either) Gin and lime go into tonic water to make something everyone likes. And the Peychauds was cheap

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The root beer things tend to be very very sweet. Like so sweet, you are going to hate life the next day if you achieve drunk.
    Do you like spicy things? Bloody maries are good. Do you like incredibly complex smoky flavors with a lot of spice, have them make it with laphroaig instead of vodka.
    Do you like fruit? try a citrus fruit you like and booze.
    Do you like popori or perfume or other aromatic stuff? Try a gin and tonic. Then try a different gin and tonic.
    Are you at a full liquor bar and looking to get drunk? Try an Adios or long island iced tea.
    At a fancy full liquor bar, and want something strong as fuck and citrusy and really well balanced? Try a corpse reviver #2.
    Try an manhatten.
    Try bourbon and scotch and rye and canadian whiskey.

Note:Goumindong had given you some good information there. But to be totally honest, Old Fashioned? Not a lot going on there to distract you from the fact that you are drinking whisky and sugar. Martinni? Like straight (dry) vermouth and gin? Those are such a hardcore drink that James Bond can't even handle drinking them made properly. They aren't bad drinks. They are good foundational drinks. They aren't necessarily the most approachable things. So if you don't like them,(and to be honest I drink A LOT and don't like them), just know stuff like punches and more approachable martiini, and <blank> and tonic and stuff created with the intention of getting not drinky people wasted.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I really like Hendricks gin. It's a good recommendation.

Gin and tonic with cucumber is my summer drink

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    An Old Fashioned that has no whiskey in it RedX. With Hendricks it should be sweet and light. Shiit i am having one right now (except with tequila and orange) and it very much changes the profile.

Similarly with the Lemon twist Martini, especially if its made 2 to 1. (and not 2 to 0)

wbBv3fj.png
    You know, I don't think I've ever had a margarita that had alcohol in it, though when I was a kid I'm pretty sure I had a non-alcoholic one a few times. Thanks for all the suggestions, I knew there were a lot of options but it's nice to see them all laid out like that. And I just realized tomorrow is Sunday, which means I'd be limited to beer or wine if I went out tomorrow, so I guess that means I have a bit more time to mull stuff over.

steam_sig.png
    Ha ha, "mull".

(And yeah, put that on the list - also a fan of margaritas, both regular and virgin.)

A margarita should sort of be fresh lime, triple sec, and tequila.
    I recommend trying ones made that way, and not from sour mix or premade margarita mix.

Well I'm certainly willing to give a few things a try, how strong is the cucumber flavor in Hendricks Gin? Light cucumber flavor is alright, but if it's a strong cucumber flavor I might give some other kind of gin a try.

Also I went and looked up where the nearest ABC store is (it's right next to the grocery store like I thought it was) and found out they are actually open on Sunday, so bonus!

steam_sig.png
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Well I'm certainly willing to give a few things a try, how strong is the cucumber flavor in Hendricks Gin? Light cucumber flavor is alright, but if it's a strong cucumber flavor I might give some other kind of gin a try.

Also I went and looked up where the nearest ABC store is (it's right next to the grocery store like I thought it was) and found out they are actually open on Sunday, so bonus!

it's pretty light and nicely refreshing.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    An old fashioned with no whiskey is just sugary lemon juice

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    does anyone have a favorite Bloody Mary recipe?

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've got honey that's been sitting in a jar with ginger and lemon

I think I'll be mixing that in with my scotch tonight.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    For anybody considering hard root beer, I think it's mostly awful.

Mission is okay.

For my money, a better bet is to take a root beer you like and drop a shot of rum in it. Kraken and IBC/Fitz's/Boylan/Dublin TX (although there is a hard Fitz's root beer, which I haven't had, and I'd probably give a try). This is also the way I make alcoholic root beer floats.

edited October 2016
    knitdan wrote: »

So, lemonade then?
    (anyway, from context, I'm pretty sure Goumindong was talking about "an OF with something else in place of whiskey".)

Commander Zoom on

That's a sour.

An old fasioned would be a few dashes of bitters and a sugar cube. Maybe garnished with a bit of orange peel.

edited October 2016
    Now I'm actually imagining that. Just the glass with bitters and sugar cube on the bottom, and an orange slice hooked over the rim. Either for art's sake, or an ad of the "without [our product], it's just not a" variety.

Commander Zoom on
    It's just a heap of shit without Old Kentucky Shark!

An old fashioned should not have lemon juice*... Then it would be a sour of "some sort" and by "some sort" i mean its the most basic type of sour and is called a "Whisky Sour"

An old fashioned is just "liquor, sugar, bitters". Any liquor works you geese**. You can easily make them with gin or tequila, rum or hell, even brandy you crazy fucking Wisconsinites. And if you haven't ever had a tequila OF then you should go make one goddamn now, ideally with lime or orange bitters.

Hell the original old fashioned recipe was written for gin even.

*Well, it can, but it would probably be called a sour as bitters tends to be a less definitive addition. If you wanted to make an OF with a citrus bent and still call/classify it as an OF it would be much better to use lemon oil or zest.

**But if you make it with vodka it will be bad
    You know, I don't think I've ever had a margarita that had alcohol in it, though when I was a kid I'm pretty sure I had a non-alcoholic one a few times. Thanks for all the suggestions, I knew there were a lot of options but it's nice to see them all laid out like that. And I just realized tomorrow is Sunday, which means I'd be limited to beer or wine if I went out tomorrow, so I guess that means I have a bit more time to mull stuff over.

How can you even have a non-alcoholic margarita? A margarita is 3/4ths alcohol!

Margaritas are easy to make once you figure it out. It has three flavor profiles

2 parts tequila. This is tart and tangy.
    1 part triple sec. This is sugary and orange (ABV runs from 20% to 40% but they're all sweet as shit)
    1 parts lime juice. This is lime juice.

Put em in with ice and shake then pour out. You can also freeze them but this isn't all that easy (basically you use the same process that you make ice cream with) and is time consuming.

("officially" its 7/4/3 but well that is hard to measure, and also way too much triple for me)

its like Cucumber water light. Another good gin for beginners would be plymouth. I would suggest staying away from any of the london dry gins,(and especially bombay sapphire) not because they're bad, but because they will tend to have a very strong juniper taste that may be offputting.

wbBv3fj.png
    "non-alcoholic margarita" - fruit slushie, for kids and adults with massive sweet tooths (*points to self*)

and that's why I consider myself, mostly, a non-drinker who's just dipping a toe in this thread, peering over the fence. I consume alcohol maybe a dozen times a year (not once per month), mostly things which my brothers, who know my tastes, invite me to try. The rest of the time, I'm perfectly content with soft drinks.

As a fellow not-really-a-drinker (I like to joke that I have the palate of a British teenager), things I've tried and found to my liking:

Cider (aka 'hard' cider - but don't drink it just like it was apple juice, or on an empty stomach, or you'll have a bad time as I did)
    Citrusy mixed drinks (orange or pineapple juice with a little something for kick - either a citrus liqueur like curacao, limoncello, etc etc, or just a decent vodka or rum)
    Peach bellini (mmmm)

Haven't tried hard root beer yet, but as that's one of my very favorite soft drinks, it's on my short list now that I've been reminded.

These are sort of embarrassing things to like, if they're the only things you like

edited October 2016
    and that would be why I haven't posted in the previous 90+ pages, and probably won't again.
    I basically followed chrisnl over here when the subject came up on another thread.
    sorry to bother you all.

Commander Zoom on
    edited October 2016
    @commander zoom

There is nothing wrong with liking sweet drinks. If you're looking to expand into "more refined" flavors consider calling your peach bellini just a bellini and your wine coolers sangria.

If you're thinking of cocktails along those lines then i would suggest something that contains st germain(really any elderflower liqueur) and grapefruit. Campari is also a good addition to citrus drinks because the bitterness will be minimized letting the herbal flavor come out a bit.

Edit: you might also try what is called a "brandy old fashioned" but some people just call an old fashioned. (Long story short this is a Wisconsin specific drink because drinks evolve and they love it)

You take a marching cherry, sugar cube (?), orange slice, and bitters and muddle that in a glass then add your brandy (or whisky or tequila, rum probably too sweet, with tequila try adding a bit of Campari as well) then add ice and maybe top with a dash of Sprite to taste

It's really good.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    @chrisnl does your town have a place with good agua frescas? Because those + a nice silver or gold rum are pretty fucking great.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    does anyone have a favorite Bloody Mary recipe?

I don't have a recipe, but my favorite Bloodies were made in New Orleans, where they were heavy on the Worcestershire sauce and didn't taste so much like cocktail sauce.

y59kydgzuja4.png

Peach bellini (mmmm)

These are sort of embarrassing things to like, if they're the only things you like

yes, but screw haters. Drink things you like drinking, but try new things when you get the chance.

Are you a silly college student in a frat? no? then you have nothing to prove other than the comon sense not to go up to a bartender, when it is really busy, and be all ohh i don't know what I want. and that's only an issue. when they are busy

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I have no issue with drinking "girly drinks". I just really happen to enjoy whiskey neat, and I'm not the biggest consumer of sugar, so many fruity drinks are overpoweringly sweet.

Still, sometimes you just gotta have a bitching fruit thingamabob with an umbrella.