As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    myi7ctg2eqq8.jpg
    Stumbled across this at BevMo tonight and it's surprisingly delicious. Not very sweet but really complex and evocative of the ice cream. Wouldn't have more than one a sitting but I'm happy to have it in my fridge.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Presentation box of craft beers acquired for my craft beer loving little brother for Christmas. 'Tis the season to be jolly!

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    So Friday, my oldest friend is in town, and we're having a board game night. I promised I'd bring a selection of craft brews with me, and here's what I have lined up:

ofj88m05filb.jpg

From left to right:

Brasseurs du Monde (QC):
    Houblinnière- Double IPA
    Big Ben Porter

Les 2 Frères (QC)
    Charles Henri amber ale
    Hickson Imperial IPA

Unibroue (QC)
    A Tout le Monde- Megadeth beer (Saison)

La Trappe (Only non-Canadian brewery here- The Netherlands)
    Trappist Tripel

Beau's All Natural Brewing (ON)
    Farm Table Patersbier (A Patersbier)
    Farm Table Marzen (A personal fave)

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    At Target tonight and I saw this.

V8vhx9b.png

Just by the name and ad copy on the box I'm thinking this HAS to be trashy as hell. Pink Champale levels of malt liquor depravity. I'm all in, because for whatever reason I love the truly weird and trashy. I google it just for the heck of it. Turns out it was originally brewed in 1902, managed to survive prohibition, went through some changes including actually being turned into a malt competitor of Pink Champale at one point before disappearing completely, then being brought back in 2012 in as close to its original form as Upland Brewery could manage.

http://growlermag.com/glass-from-the-past-champagne-velvet/

And it's honestly pretty decent. Nothing really special but smooth and good tasting.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Nice. Might give that a try.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Guinness gave America a present.

mj4o9mC.png?1

It's excellent. Dark and rich, little bit of caramel, a lot of malt and just slightly sweet.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    A two reel film, made in 1947 by the "Scotch Whisky Association", which one assumes is in Scotland, on making blended scotch from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTWDb8n8zzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ5y1QjqJdo

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm soaking a ham in rum for our christmas party tonight, and adding rum to the glaze.

I'm sure it's going to be disgusting.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    "Doodmann are you... drinking that glaze right out of the bowl?"

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm soaking a ham in rum for our christmas party tonight, and adding rum to the glaze.

I'm sure it's going to be disgusting.

RUM HAM

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    If you cook the ham after you soak it it’s probably fine. The glaze will be good regardless.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Yeah it's smoked already but I'm going to cook it with the glaze.

I like to ART
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    ujqikbco5t31.jpg
    It's Victory At Sea season and I'm very excited. I don't think I've seen it in a bourbon barrel aged form before, at least not since I've discovered it. This version is amazing, very smooth and rich. The coffee comes across strong and the bourbon bits are delicious. Easily one of the best beers I've ever had.

Carpy on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    I love Victory at Sea but unfortunately they got acquired by InBev and have thus joined my boycott. There's so much good craft beer I can't justify supporting anti-competitive practices with my dollar.

Admittedly I might make an exception for something barrel aged. Really jealous.

• Options
    I love Victory at Sea but unfortunately they got acquired by InBev and have thus joined my boycott. There's so much good craft beer I can't justify supporting anti-competitive practices with my dollar.

They got bought by Constellation I think, not that it's much of a difference. And that's a pretty reasonable stance to take. I don't usually buy their stuff unless I'm at one of their tap rooms but I couldn't pass this up.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

They got bought by Constellation I think, not that it's much of a difference. And that's a pretty reasonable stance to take. I don't usually buy their stuff unless I'm at one of their tap rooms but I couldn't pass this up.

Whoops, you're right, my bad. The ironic bit there is they shut down the (excellent) distillery even though that's the market they know, and so those guys started a new competing distillery called Cutwater.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

Whoops, you're right, my bad. The ironic bit there is they shut down the (excellent) distillery even though that's the market they know, and so those guys started a new competing distillery called Cutwater.

They didn't shut it down, they just only bought the brewery side of the business. But the owners lost the name with the sale.

• Options
    Kinda seems like same difference to me.

• Options
    Wanted something nice to drink this evening and I'm most the way through a bottle of Campfire stout. Reading the bottle it's flavored like a s'more, which isn't wrong but I could swear it's got quite a bit of smoke to it which I love.

And while I was only planning on buying a single bottle, the BevMo had some Dragon's Milk and I don't see that every day so that got bought and is waiting for me as well.

• Options
    Question for the thread, what type of beer has the lowest floor to you? Talking about bad beers and which type gets the worst. I can see IPA as a common pick but for me a bad IPA is still just hops, which is pretty similar to a good IPA. My answer would probably be stouts. A bad stout is actively undrinkable to me.

All this is inspired by my going into a store for a bomber of Victory At Sea, them being sold out and my subsequent decision to try a random local stout. It ended up being the first bomber I couldn't bring myself to finish in a very long time. A close second for me would probably be a bad pepper beer.

• Options
    A bad fruit beer is easily the worst.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Umami is not a flavor that should be predominant in a beer.

I have had a few weirder dark beers that it seemed like their ferment went a little sideways, they got some glutamate getting made, and they figured "hey, it's dark enough, maybe nobody notices."

this is an inappropriate attitude for a brewmaster to hold.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    a thick, syrupy stout with way too complex a flavor is probably my pick and for some reason that’s how the vast majority of stouts are made by craft breweries

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    A Smoked Porter gone wrong is pretty nasty.

I like to ART
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Barrel aged stuff is my favorite hot trend right now, so tasty! I'm sure it'll get overly exposed soon and I'll get tired of it (like super hoppy stuff) but for now I'm enjoying it. Backwoods Bastard from Founders is probably my favorite example of the genre right now.

Any favorites?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Barrel aged stuff is my favorite hot trend right now, so tasty! I'm sure it'll get overly exposed soon and I'll get tired of it (like super hoppy stuff) but for now I'm enjoying it. Backwoods Bastard from Founders is probably my favorite example of the genre right now.

Any favorites?

I’m partial to New Holland’s Dragon’s Milk. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/335/5428/

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Any favorites?

Allagash makes some great barrel aged stuff. Avery is pretty good but can get outrageous quickly.

I like to ART
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Bad Scotch Ales are the closet I've come to actually wanting to vomit after just tasting a beer.

It's enough that I've sworn trying them at all, for fear of having a repeat incident.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular

Any favorites?

I'm not a big stout fan anymore, but the barrel-aged Old Rasputin is something else.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Thanks to a dead man's liquor cabinet, I now have a bottle of this.

shmNLlR.jpg

28PGDdK.jpg

awnnMDR.jpg

I'm guessing early 80s, maybe late 70s, as it predates barcodes, but still has a plastic shrinkwrap over the cap. It's unopened. Interestingly, Controy wasn't imported into the US until 2013, and even then it was under the name "Naranjas" so as to not piss off Cointreau I suppose. So whatever store this came from was importing it locally themselves.

There's also a bottle of Jose Cuervo silver that I'm guessing is the same age, since it's just as dirty, lacks a barcode, and has the same Texas state liquor tax stamp on it.

Oddest thing about it is that the recipe on the back, in Spanish they refer to it by name but in English they just say "triple sec".

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    We bought a bottle of XO Cognac (Deau) for a friend, didn't drink Cognac before but it was quite tasty.

Tempted to get a Cognac in house for myself, though not going to spend the same $$$. Anyone got some good value recommendations?

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Remy Martin is super represented in hip hop music because it's good. I like the Remy 1738 (if I'm remembering that number right), but even their least expensive cognac is tasty.

CowShark on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Alegis wrote: »
    We bought a bottle of XO Cognac (Deau) for a friend, didn't drink Cognac before but it was quite tasty.

Tempted to get a Cognac in house for myself, though not going to spend the same $$$. Anyone got some good value recommendations?

If you like Armagnac, and I don't see why you wouldn't, Tariquet is very good for the price. The VSOP is extremely drinkable for a budget brandy and cheap enough you can use it for cocktails without more than a brief twinge to the walletal tissues..

V1m on
  • Options
    Huh. Never tried a margarita with lemon...

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Aldi has won two gold medals at the Whisky Masters.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a21343868/aldi-whisky-best-in-world/

The bottles are $17 and $23.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Also, this single page of the thread is two years old.

It could be a passable bourbon at this point.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options

That's vague...especially since their stuff also won last year. Bud Lite wins all kinds of awards too because it is often considered the best "lite american lager" in the "large scale brewery" category. You have to tell me what it beat to get me interested.

I like to ART
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Doodmann wrote: »

That's vague...especially since their stuff also won last year. Bud Lite wins all kinds of awards too because it is often considered the best "lite american lager" in the "large scale brewery" category. You have to tell me what it beat to get me interested.

A quick glance reveals to me that they hand out multiple gold/silver medals, so it's a "how much did the judges like it" not a "this got first place" kind of thing

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    worst beer?

i've thought about this a lot

and

i'll drink anything twice