As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Windows Phone 7. My god, it's full of tiles!

• AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Can you try something for me? I thought I read somewhere that if the phone is off, and you hit the camera button, it'll power quickly into camera mode and snap a picture without waiting for the phone to boot. Is that true?

Just tried; doesn't do that, no. Just stays powered off.

It was pretty surprising to boot up, launch IE and have it come straight back to this thread, though. That's very cool.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Can you try something for me? I thought I read somewhere that if the phone is off, and you hit the camera button, it'll power quickly into camera mode and snap a picture without waiting for the phone to boot. Is that true?

Just tried; doesn't do that, no. Just stays powered off.

It was pretty surprising to boot up, launch IE and have it come straight back to this thread, though. That's very cool.

Hmm. Let me see if I can find that quote again. Maybe it was a particular model.

edit: Found it. It was the Samsung Focus I was reading about and the writer made it sound like the phone was off, but he was referring to the screen being off and locked, not the phone. The camera app started quickly and snapped a shot with the camera button, not the phone powering up. I misread it I guess.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited October 2010
    For someone who actually read the manual/quick start for their phone (i.e. not me :P), does it say what percentage the battery gauge starts to show up at? It's hard to tell based on the tiny sliver.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I was pretty pumped about WP7 until today when I read some scathing reviews. I'm thinking of going T-Mobile because their prices are pretty good and I can get unlimited data. I'll probably be choosing between the G2 and the HTC HD7.

I'm more than a little concerned about the lack of features, though. I'd really like to see it offer disk access for storage, if only for the convenience of moving things around with it. That said, I don't use my HTC Fuze for that much (as you need the cable) but it would be a nice feature.

I also read that the phone doesn't support tethering: is this intentional or something we'll see in the future?

And for those of you folks who have the phone, are there any decent SSH apps? I have a Minecraft server as well as a personal home server, so it would be neat to be able to connect to those and manage them. Ideally I'd love to see one that I can tunnel activity through and remote desktop to my PC, but that's just icing.

I'm rather torn. Netflix, Live, and Office are some features I'd really like to have, as well as music syncing with Zune (as I've already got a Zune). That said, I feel that Android leaves me with a world of possibilities and access. Any advice or impressions (beyond the ones already posted) would be awesome.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I was pretty pumped about WP7 until today when I read some scathing reviews. I'm thinking of going T-Mobile because their prices are pretty good and I can get unlimited data. I'll probably be choosing between the G2 and the HTC HD7.

I'm more than a little concerned about the lack of features, though. I'd really like to see it offer disk access for storage, if only for the convenience of moving things around with it. That said, I don't use my HTC Fuze for that much (as you need the cable) but it would be a nice feature.

I also read that the phone doesn't support tethering: is this intentional or something we'll see in the future?

And for those of you folks who have the phone, are there any decent SSH apps? I have a Minecraft server as well as a personal home server, so it would be neat to be able to connect to those and manage them. Ideally I'd love to see one that I can tunnel activity through and remote desktop to my PC, but that's just icing.

I'm rather torn. Netflix, Live, and Office are some features I'd really like to have, as well as music syncing with Zune (as I've already got a Zune). That said, I feel that Android leaves me with a world of possibilities and access. Any advice or impressions (beyond the ones already posted) would be awesome.

Lack of features? No offense, but it seems the bar is set REALLY HIGH these days for smart phones. It's a phone, right?

I can't remember the exact technical reason for not allowing open storage on the phone, but it had something to do with having a consistent framework and preventing security issues. It was just one more of those decisions by MS that cut off potential problems by limiting what is (in my mind) a fringe feature that isn't really necessary for a phone. You can always carry around a thumb drive, right?

Then again, if you want a truly open platform to tweak to your heart's content, Android might be a better choice.

El Guaco on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Lack of features? No offense, but it seems the bar is set REALLY HIGH these days for smart phones. It's a phone, right?

I can't remember the exact technical reason for not allowing open storage on the phone, but it had something to do with having a consistent framework and preventing security issues. It was just one more of those decisions by MS that cut off potential problems by limiting what is (in my mind) a fringe feature that isn't really necessary for a phone. You can always carry around a thumb drive, right?

Then again, if you want a truly open platform to tweak to your heart's content, Android might be a better choice.

I've been doing some reading today, and the reason they're not allowing USB access is so that you can't steal DRM material, like MP3's from ZunePass.

You've got a wonderful point, and it's something that has crossed my mind quite a bit. I search for a phone with all these features, and inevitably never use them. I got an HTC Fuze because it had tethering, and drive access, and a bunch of other things that I've actually never used. In the past few months I'm impressed to use it for anything more than web/text (and the occasional call). Even USB drive is rare, as I need a cable to make it work, and like you said, I've pretty much always got a thumbdrive.

Tweaking is fun, and I love to tweak my PC's, but in retrospect, I only kinda like tweaking my phone. I just want the damn thing to work. Moreover, it seems that on some of the models you can replace the SD card, so that won't be much of an issue. I suppose my biggest concern at this point is whether or not the platform will live; I don't want to get something that won't have app updates after the first few months as the platform bombs.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You can only replace the SD card if you want to reinstall Windows

The card is inserted before initial boot, and Windows adds that space to the primary partition. There's no way of telling for sure what you may/may not lose when you remove that card

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • ecchiecchi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The SD card is used like RAID 0 on a PC. Data is striped across both and adding or removing storage requires a complete wipe of the phone.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: you CANNOT use any random SD card. Currently there are no cards available at retail that meet the performance requirements for WP7. Using your own card will likely lead to system instability and performance problems. This is coming straight from MS and is not some carrier trick to get you to buy their special cards. Just a warning...

ecchi on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ecchi wrote: »
    The SD card is used like RAID 0 on a PC. Data is striped across both and adding or removing storage requires a complete wipe of the phone.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: you CANNOT use any random SD card. Currently there are no cards available at retail that meet the performance requirements for WP7. Using your own card will likely lead to system instability and performance problems. This is coming straight from MS and is not some carrier trick to get you to buy their special cards. Just a warning...
    What about this? Admittedly, class isn't the best way to go about judging speed, but it's the only one that is easily able to be Googled in a short amount of time.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

What about this? Admittedly, class isn't the best way to go about judging speed, but it's the only one that is easily able to be Googled in a short amount of time.

unless the image is wrong, that is only class 10 in binary

Evander on
    edited November 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    unless the image is wrong, that is only class 10 in binary
    One image says 2, the other says 10. So I'm going based off the description. Newegg has what appears to be the same one, but the only image shows 10.

My point is, is it just market-speak, or do they have some secret class 20 cards or some nonsense?

EDIT: According to this article about it, the one they found in the phone was class 2.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Well this is a pain. I resynced all my music to my phone last night with Zune set to convert songs that were above it down to 192kbps; this saved me a lot of space, but now it's saying there's a whole lot of stuff in my collection which is "no longer on the marketplace" and hence can't be synced.

This is true for a few albums here and there, but the majority ARE still on the Marketplace... it's just that the one I have is shown with the little unavailable icon, while there's an identical available album sitting right next to it. :?

Alternatively, there isn't any issue on the Marketplace, and right-clicking the thing in my collection goes to a very clearly available album. Redownloading fixes the problem here.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Moving things around? Would this be a good time to point out that WP7 can/will auto sync over the air on your local network.

You need to look up what you actually want to do with the phone and see how that works. Android isn't as open as people think it is at the same time it has a lot of garbage apps.

WP7 phones sync up with MS products very well. You should be able to do what you want with it.

Dark Shroud on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So ive decided on a Windows Phone 7 handset but im undecided on the HD 7 or the Omnia 7.

I have tried the HD 7 and its fantastic but reviews compared to the Samsung make the Omnia 7 sound like a better option but nowhere has it in stock to try out.

Should I just go for the HD 7 or wait and see what the Omnia 7 is like properly?

Ziggymon on
    edited November 2010
    They're about the same size, so the main differentiation is the type of screen and the included apps. Well, that and the screen size (for the same size, do you want a bigger viewing area, basically).

Honestly, the screen on the Omnia 7 is pretty impressive; I would've gotten one if it had 16GB (they only have it in 8GB over here). I'd wait and see it in person.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If given the option, I probably would have went with the Omnia over my Mozart, if only for the amoled screen. The Mozart can be pretty hard to see in direct light. I would imagine the HD 7 is pretty much the same.

Arkyris on
    edited November 2010
    Arkyris wrote: »
    If given the option, I probably would have went with the Omnia over my Mozart, if only for the amoled screen. The Mozart can be pretty hard to see in direct light. I would imagine the HD 7 is pretty much the same.

Think i'll have a hunt for the Omnia 7 then, Ive checked that my old iphone 3G was only 8GB and ive got loads of space left so that won't be too much of a problem, thanks guys.

One last question ive heard horror stories for both Orange and 3 networks (uk) for contracts anyone had experiences with them?

Ziggymon on
    edited November 2010
    How are you finding your Mozart to be? My initial intention was to get a Venue, but apparently those aren't going to be sold in stores, and I'm not buying a phone without getting to hold it in my hand first. The Mozart looked like the second best choice for what I'm looking for in a phone. I would like the OLED display, but I find the Omnia to be really, really ugly. And for me, carrier lock in is not a problem as I currently don't even have a phone, so I can basically go to anyone.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Mozart is really nice. It has a nice feel and fits well in my palm. The screen is slightly indented and pretty resilient. I don't use a case on mine and it's still scratch free. I would have preferred hardware buttons for for the three main as I often accidently hit the search/home/back buttons.

As for the screen, it may not be AMOLED, but it is still pretty. It's not that much of an issue issue, but trying to change tracks in direct sunlight was a bit annoying.

I haven't noticed any big problems. One stand out issue is that in the same spot as my brother's iPhone 4 and my dad's HTC Desire (on the same carrier). My Mozart was getting 2 bars to their 5. However, I am in a very rural area with lots of dead spots. In a city region I was getting the full 5 bars. That is in Australia and might not be an issue with your carrier/location. I would suggest seeing it in store and comparing the reception with other phones just to be sure.

Arkyris on
    edited November 2010
    The Mozart is really nice. It has a nice feel and fits well in my palm. The screen is slightly indented and pretty resilient. I don't use a case on mine and it's still scratch free. I would have preferred hardware buttons for for the three main as I often accidently hit the search/home/back buttons.

As for the screen, it may not be AMOLED, but it is still pretty. It's not that much of an issue issue, but trying to change tracks in direct sunlight was a bit annoying.

I haven't noticed any big problems. One stand out issue is that in the same spot as my brother's iPhone 4 and my dad's HTC Desire (on the same carrier). My Mozart was getting 2 bars to their 5. However, I am in a very rural area with lots of dead spots. In a city region I was getting the full 5 bars. That is in Australia and might not be an issue with your carrier/location. I would suggest seeing it in store and comparing the reception with other phones just to be sure.
    That's encouraging for the most part, though, I'm not sure how T-Mobile's coverage is in Colorado, I think a friend of mine uses T-Mobile, I'll have to ask her how coverage is with them.

But now that it crosses my mind, the Dell Thunder is almost entirely physically identical to the Venue. I may just have to check that out in lieu of seeing the Venue in a store. I may be able to get the one that I think I want after all...

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's encouraging for the most part, though, I'm not sure how T-Mobile's coverage is in Colorado, I think a friend of mine uses T-Mobile, I'll have to ask her how coverage is with them.

Depends on where you're at. I never have any coverage issues when in Denver (Aurora to Lakewood and all points between). Coverage along freeways and at the resorts is pretty good to. Large towns, pretty decent (except Pueblo some times). Fort Collins is spotty at best right now, I think they're doing an upgrade up here

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
    edited November 2010

I was told directly by multiple engineers on the WP7 team that there are literally no microSD cards available through retail channels that have the right performance characteristics for the OS. Given two cards from the same manufacturer with the same class rating, performance between the two can vary wildly. The OEMs are supposed to be putting "do not use" stickers over the SD card slots.

ecchi on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was playing around with an HTC Mozart. It was pretty nice. The keyboard was really good, much easier to use than my iPhone's keyboard.

I'm very interested in getting an Omnia.

I'm a little concerned about the small storage space, and the lack of VPN. Otherwise, I am very excited, in particular, for the LIVE integration.

Apothe0sis on
    edited November 2010
    I was told directly by multiple engineers on the WP7 team that there are literally no microSD cards available through retail channels that have the right performance characteristics for the OS. Given two cards from the same manufacturer with the same class rating, performance between the two can vary wildly. The OEMs are supposed to be putting "do not use" stickers over the SD card slots.
    Yes, as I said, I understand class is not the be all, end all of card performance. If it's reasonable for you to ask these engineers, would you mind asking them exactly what the necessary performance characteristics are?

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Yes, as I said, I understand class is not the be all, end all of card performance. If it's reasonable for you to ask these engineers, would you mind asking them exactly what the necessary performance characteristics are?
    There is no way for end-users like us to actually measure the performance properly, and like I said, since performance varies so wildly between cards there is no way to know whether a particular card you're purchasing meets those specs. It's frustrating but the answer (for now) is that your only option to expand storage is to have your mobile operator install a special card at phone purchase time. And I am not sure that the MOs are even going to offer that at launch.

Also don't forget that the Focus is the only phone that has a user-accessible card slot.

ecchi on
    edited November 2010
    I'm really asking more out of curiosity than any intention to go out and find one to replace the existing one with. I only have about 3 GiB worth of music, so any of the available hardware out there would be more than sufficient for me.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    I am now the proud owner of the Omnia 7.

I'll post impressions later but my God that screen is amazing!

Ziggymon on
    edited November 2010
    So to those who've been using the phones for a while, how's WP7? Compared to Android/iOS does it measure up? Office/Zune/Live integration works well?

Quirks, issues that are annoying?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Can't wait to hear about it from someone who isn't part of the media machine.

El Guaco on
    edited November 2010
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Can't wait to hear about it from someone who isn't part of the media machine.

Well first impressions is that it feels very nice to hold even if it looks like a slab, it also have a metal back and uses little plastic so it feels like a nice piece of kit, far better than the plastic of the galaxy s. The power/sleep button is a little annoying being on the side of the device but its something to adjust towards. The usb port is on the top of the device with a little slider cover thats pretty cool.

The screen as I said before is incredible and looks so impressive when I looked at it working next to the HTC
    HD 7 and mozart, picture quality looked miles above both devices.

The OS well its very responsive and feels really nice to use, the keyboard is one of the best for a touch screen phone and I really like the integration with Live messenger and Facebook for the peoples tile.

so far so good, I haven't tried any media or any of the application games though.

Ziggymon on
    edited November 2010
    Sorry for the double post, but im finding a few issues.

The Mac connector for windows phone 7 might as well be useless, the sync with itunes will only sync non drm items, which is understandable but annoying non the less. Also for some reason it will only sync with iphoto rather than be able to drag and drop photos to the device unless im missing something.

This OS seems more closed than iOS ever was.

Ziggymon on
    edited November 2010
    Well, seeing as the Mac connector is apparently still in beta, I'm not sure that's really all that fair a judgment...

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Well, seeing as the Mac connector is apparently still in beta, I'm not sure that's really all that fair a judgment...

Well ive imported all my photos to iphoto and got everything ready to sync, and...

...nothing have no idea whats wrong but it tries to sync for a second and stops.

If anyone has any ideas would love the help thanks.

Ziggymon on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well you could upload your photos to sky drive or Flicker and then import them into the phone that way.

Dark Shroud on
    edited November 2010
    played with a demo unit today

it is nice and pretty, but suffers hard from a lack of a menu button

Evander on
    edited November 2010
    A menu button?

What needs a menu button? Are you coming from a Blackberry? I have a BB too and I can see where that would be frustrating (my wife's ipod touch drove me nuts with how 'complicated' it was to figure out how to do certain things because there was no button other than home).

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    True, that is gonna be a bit of a trick. Apparently there is a bit of a learning curve, always risky in consumer level electronics. Heh, I think that's part of the reason the iPhone worked so well, the learning curve was so low. Course, the downside of no learning curve is that it's harder to do more complex things, Linux would be the best example, big learning curve, low consumer penetration, but you can do much more with it.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
    edited November 2010
    Blackberry? Ha.

Android. WP7 makes a big deal out of having a contextual search button (just like Android), but lacks a contextual menu button. Trying to figure out how to set up certain things on the dem was kind of a mess.

The OS is very polished. It was easy to use the device, and I could definitely see having one and using it for media and games. What I can't see is using it as my daily cellphone, because it just isn't able to do what I want it to in the way i want it to. No copy & paste is absurd, ESPECIALLY when ever Windows CE build I ever had on a phone before had that.

WP8 may well be amazing, but WP7 just sn't were a mobile OS needs to be right now. I may still pick up a Venue Pro for media/games, but like I said, it's not going to replace my myTouch 4G.

Evander on
    edited November 2010
    The application bar (or whatever they call the thing that comes up when you drag/tap the three dots on the lower bottom) is pretty much the same thing as the contextual menu on Android, though; it's just not all apps have one.

I have to agree that sometimes certain options are hidden under the tap-and-hold dropdown that you'd expect to be in the application bar, though.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    I'm not saying that it's bad, by any means. It's just not ready to compete with the other OSes on the market

I mean, seriously, I even knew not to expect C&P, and it STILL kept trippign me up. Why in the fuck did they think it was okay not to include C&P?

Evander on