As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows Phone 7. My god, it's full of tiles!

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    I got my Lumia 900 the other day. Trying to get up to speed with it. I can't find any podcasting app that's as good as DoggCatcher on Android. I want a prioritized list of podcasts that dumps episodes in one big list I can listen to all at once.

It is pleasantly fast though.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    In one big list? Can't say I've seen any that do that, but I haven't searched very hard. I tried a couple of crappy podcast players from the marketplace, decided I might just make my own, then changed my mind when I found that the built-in player is perfectly competent.

I don't suppose you could try using some kind of web-based podcast aggregator? A quick search turns up Podnova which, if it's able to serve up a feed of its own, would probably do what you want.

• Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've been trying to resist burning an upgrade on the 900. Now it's free.

I'm done.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Man, that's tempting. I think I'm going to wait for Apollo phones, though. Still holding onto my Samsung Focus.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    I'm glad I gave in. This thing is awesome. We'll see how I feel when Apollo hits, but for now, badass.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    Lumia get! Got one for the Mrs and myself each. It's her first smartphone and I was happy to upgrade my HTC trophy.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm going to be doggedly following news about Apollo phone models--the none of the 7.5 phones have keyboards, so they're all out for me, but it may come around with Apollo being the major revision.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Well, the price tag of $0 is enough to get me to pull the trigger. Now to figure out how to go about cancelling my Verizon service...

• Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    This Lumia 900 is almost worth dropping my iPhone 4 for but I feel like I have to wait on the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 reveals

• Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Well, the price tag of $0 is enough to get me to pull the trigger. Now to figure out how to go about cancelling my Verizon service...

When I transferred my phone number, the kindly fellow at AT&T took care of the cancelling for me.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Got my Lumia 900 a few days ago and I have to say the hardware is great, love the camera and the feel of the phone. Screen looks better than I thought as well.

I think I have to return it though, there does not appear to be a way to edit replies or forwards in the email app. How on earth did this get QA'd without that feature? Am I missing something? Can you really not edit replies or forwards (below your own signature line)?

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Got my Lumia 900 a few days ago and I have to say the hardware is great, love the camera and the feel of the phone. Screen looks better than I thought as well.

I think I have to return it though, there does not appear to be a way to edit replies or forwards in the email app. How on earth did this get QA'd without that feature? Am I missing something? Can you really not edit replies or forwards (below your own signature line)?

Never tried that before. I guess you cannot. I haven't ever needed to, so I never noticed.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Who edits replies? That just seems... weird. Isn't the point of a reply to have an intact copy of the previous correspondence?

Edit: I just checked, and I can't do that on my current Android either.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    Just a little bit o' news to keep the discussion going. Y'know, nothing major or anything.

• Options
    Quake Matt wrote: »
    Just a little bit o' news to keep the discussion going. Y'know, nothing major or anything.

Wooo! Since I just got my HTC Trophy in August last year, I'm glad to hear this. I love it the way it is now, but being guaranteed an upgrade is nice to hear. I'm hoping that the hardware compliance allows Microsoft to offer major version upgrades similar to iOS.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I had heard rumors of that, nice to see them confirmed, apparently.

Microsoft has been very consistent about this, good on them--I'd love to buy a WP8 with a keyboard, but if I can't, knowing my current phone will go WP8 is pretty darn good.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I played with a Lumia 800 on the weekend. It made me sad because the screen was way more vibrant than my Omnia 7.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Okay, lots of conflicting info turning up regarding the Apollo upgrade path - we've got unnamed sources telling The Verge that no devices will receive the upgrade, Chinese developers saying they know people who're already testing WP8 on Lumias, and Microsoft giving us the standard "no announcements to make at this time" line.

So, yeah, all up in the air right now.

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    Saw the Lumia 900 in an AT&T store and it's a nice piece of hardware. Huge compared to my Trophy, and the colors were awesome on the screen. If I had AT&T I'd be jealous and find a way to upgrade. :)

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I woke up this morning and had a notification that my phone's security policy had changed and I needed to set a password for the lock screen of at least 6 characters.

I can't turn the password off, and I find 6 characters annoyingly long. Most troubling is that I have no idea where or how the policy was updated. Any ideas? A carrier push perhaps? Microsoft mandate?

• Options
    Must be a carrier issue. My phone has never required a screen lock password, and doesn't presently.

Qualifying something I said earlier: apparently, remembering the position in a podcast after shutting off the phone is very hit or miss.

• Options
    I have it figured I think - my boss seems to have been messing with our corporate gmail settings.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Who edits replies? That just seems... weird. Isn't the point of a reply to have an intact copy of the previous correspondence?

Edit: I just checked, and I can't do that on my current Android either.

I can do it in the default mail program in ice cream sandwich on my asus transformer and touchdown a 3rd party mail app.

I need to edit confidential stuff out and re-word lots of things in email chains every day for work. It was a dealbreaker.
    Returned it to the store and the kiosk guy made me turn it on, setup my mail account and show him the problem.

I recognize it seems weird to most people but I cannot understand the reasoning behind not allowing editing.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Quake Matt wrote: »
    Okay, lots of conflicting info turning up regarding the Apollo upgrade path - we've got unnamed sources telling The Verge that no devices will receive the upgrade, Chinese developers saying they know people who're already testing WP8 on Lumias, and Microsoft giving us the standard "no announcements to make at this time" line.

So, yeah, all up in the air right now.

This is infuriating. I'm due an upgrade, I'm on O2. They carry the other Lumias but are saying they won't be carrying the Lumia 900. On their forum some people are now using this WP8 uncertainty as a reason O2 may not be stocking the 900.

It's absurd that O2 won't be carrying the 900 given the demand for the handset in the US.

My options are;

'Upgrade' to a Lumia 800 (from a HD7)
    Choose a different handset
    Move carriers

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I have it figured I think - my boss seems to have been messing with our corporate gmail settings.

Once I linked my gmail account for my university to my phone the same thing happened.

I promptly de-linked it, and I'll check it in the browser of my phone or just on my computer. Having to re-log in every time is simply not something I'm prepared to do when I unlock my phone to check my messages.

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Just renewed my plan and got a Lumia 800. Quite pleased with it. Gave my old iPhone 3GS to my wife.

• Options
    Does anyone play Haypi Kingdom? I just downloaded it today and it seemed like a neat timewaster freemium game that I'll never spend money on. They have alliances, so I thought if anyone else played we could have a PA alliance.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Anyone have any idea when Apollo is gonna be coming out? I'm looking to upgrade(Got a HTC HD7), but don't want to do anything till that comes out.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    nope

maybe q4? we are currently at the your guess is as good as mine part of this whole process

• Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when Apollo is gonna be coming out? I'm looking to upgrade(Got a HTC HD7), but don't want to do anything till that comes out.
    I probably would hold off on getting WP7 until after October. I'm assuming that some kind of news of WP8 will at least be coordinated with the W8 launch.

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    I really REALLY wish they would activate their HID Bluetooth profile for 7.5 I'm going back to school soon and if I could just get a bluetooth keyboard and OneNote or Evernote? I would be SET.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The bottom part of my Omnia 7's body fell off.

I am trying to hold out until Apollo/WP8 before replacing.

• Options
    Tomorrow's the unveiling of WP8, I'm hoping against the odds that they aren't 8+ months out from shipping. My upgrade is available in about a month.

• Options
    Here's the link to watch the announcement: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Windows-Phone/Summit.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    So, looks like those of us on older phones will get some or all of the new features that aren't dependent on hardware.

I don't see that this means much besides the Start screen. Maybe the wallet Hub? VoIP apps in the background?

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    No upgrade from WP7 to WP8. :(

Well, that solidifies my app purchases to zero for the next year until I can get a new phone. Unless they are going to have a unified app store so I can take my WP7 apps to WP8. Disappointing that they couldn't do an upgrade path, they really should have planned for that, but since they're trying to unify with Win8 I can understand.

I like that you can scale icons now, I'm looking forward to making a few different icons smaller. Me, Calendar, maybe the People icon..

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Given the implications given for hardware for WP8, I guess this was very likely anyway.

Being a 7.0 adopter, buying a new model for WP8 is understandable--I was happy that I got 7.5 for my 7.0, but I was a little skeptical about 8.

For me, though, the overriding concern is the models available (especially keyboard options), which haven't been revealed yet.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Unless they are going to have a unified app store so I can take my WP7 apps to WP8.

Sounds like they will. All existing 7/7.5 apps will be 'cloud compiled' in order to be optimized for 8.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The 7.8 stuff is neat atleast, we'll get some of the new hotness.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, personally I don't much mind the lack of a full upgrade path, since I was planning on new hardware when WP8 launches. Sucks for people who bought a Lumia device, though.

It's actually pretty close to the divide between old hardware on iOS6 vs. new hardware on iOS6, except that Microsoft decided to actually name them differently because they do different things, based on what your hardware supports.

Given that they kept talking about secured SIM cards for their NFC implementation -- I'm also pretty worried that we are back to limited/no support for CDMA devices.

Overall I'm pretty positive about the changes, though. A lot of what they were showing (and it's a developer-focused event, so I expect that there's a lot more to come) was very encouraging for the ecosystem.

Dehumanized on