As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Windows Phone 7. My god, it's full of tiles!

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think their idea with no C&P was to see what people used it for (moving numbers and email and street addresses) and made it so they were context sensitive, for example, instead of C&P a phone number, just long-tap it, and options pop up for it.

But I don't know if that's what actually HAPPENS, it's just a half-remembered thing from a old promo vid, so feel free to disregard/prove me wrong.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think they figured if iOS could get away without C&P for what, two to three years?, and still sell millions of phones, why couldn't they? :)

While I agree that contextual menus and "smart" technology can do away with some copy-paste functions, I still feel like it's necessary. Drives me nuts when I can't use it in an app on my BlackBerry that doesn't recognize the standard copy/paste functions. Fortunately they plan to implement it in early 2011.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    I think their idea with no C&P was to see what people used it for (moving numbers and email and street addresses) and made it so they were context sensitive, for example, instead of C&P a phone number, just long-tap it, and options pop up for it.

But I don't know if that's what actually HAPPENS, it's just a half-remembered thing from a old promo vid, so feel free to disregard/prove me wrong.
    My experience with the partially unlocked emulator ROM says there is no long tap action for it, just a tap action. For a phone number it brought up a dialog asking if I'd like to call it, an address brought me straight to it in the maps. I didn't try an email.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I think they figured if iOS could get away without C&P for what, two to three years?, and still sell millions of phones, why couldn't they? :)

As I've said a million times, WP7 would make an AMAZING competitor to iOS 3 and Android 1.6.

The problem is that it's coming out a year later.

Evander on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just got myself an Omnia 7. It's quite lovely. I like the look of the interface much better than Android and iOS.

Its features are probably lacking compared to my old iPhone 3GS but I haven't found it... yet. I am not looking forward to using Bing for everything but it seems to be going ok so far. Hopefully a future update will allow us to choose which search engine we use ala Internet Explorer.

The Bluetooth connection doesn't allow you to add contacts to it, which is a pain.

I have run into something weird - when trying to connect to support.xbox.com a survey overlay would move whenever I zoomed in to find the button to hit, it would move further and further away. It made things quite difficult.

My messenger account is full of garbage - when I first started the phone the live account I added automatically added all the people who were on my list and cluttered up my phone - so I have created a new account and am hoping to switch my gamertag over to my new MSN dealie. Apparently this can be done, but it needs an xbox or the assitance of the xbox live support line which is closed at the moment.

The xbox live integration is really cool though. The screen is beautiful, very responsive. The sound is crystal clear and the speaker is very good.

Annoyance - Stupid USB dealie for charger and connection.

EDIT: Other annoyances: Zune has ads when you first boot it up. What the hell is that?
    No custom phone number types for contacts
    No custom sounds/ringtones/messages.
    No countdown timer.
    No vpn.

Apothe0sis on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

As I've said a million times, WP7 would make an AMAZING competitor to iOS 3 and Android 1.6.

The problem is that it's coming out a year later.

If HP can pull their finger out webOS can be a major competitor too. HP should forget windows 7 tablets and make webOS tablets. I've been lucky enough to have used ios, android and webos phones. They're all excellent with ios and android are pretty damn well established now. I think webos would make for a better tablet os than android in its current state.

Anyway, I'm going off subject. WP7 has sort of differentiated itself but has also doomed itself, like forbidding native code. Which means no web browsers other than shitty IE, right now Apple can get away with forbidding other web browsers because ios devices are highly popular and sought after. But I suspect that may change when android starts taking serious inroads.
    My current phone is an iphone and I am getting tempted by android because of things like the new firefox mobile which is looking pretty damn good.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fennec's (Firefox for Android) performance is kinda awful still, but it's still in beta so who knows if they can't figure it out.

edit: but yeah android's greatest strength is that google does not really give a shit what developers do with it

not that having a well curated experience can't be an equally big strength, though

Dehumanized on
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Had a chance to play with the surround and HD7. Good lord is this device sexy. I only wish Sprint would've gotten some on launch! The UI is amazingly quick and responsive. I love the keypad and office works splendidly.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Just got myself an Omnia 7. It's quite lovely. I like the look of the interface much better than Android and iOS.

Its features are probably lacking compared to my old iPhone 3GS but I haven't found it... yet. I am not looking forward to using Bing for everything but it seems to be going ok so far. Hopefully a future update will allow us to choose which search engine we use ala Internet Explorer.

The Bluetooth connection doesn't allow you to add contacts to it, which is a pain.

I have run into something weird - when trying to connect to support.xbox.com a survey overlay would move whenever I zoomed in to find the button to hit, it would move further and further away. It made things quite difficult.

My messenger account is full of garbage - when I first started the phone the live account I added automatically added all the people who were on my list and cluttered up my phone - so I have created a new account and am hoping to switch my gamertag over to my new MSN dealie. Apparently this can be done, but it needs an xbox or the assitance of the xbox live support line which is closed at the moment.

The xbox live integration is really cool though. The screen is beautiful, very responsive. The sound is crystal clear and the speaker is very good.

EDIT: Other annoyances: Zune has ads when you first boot it up. What the hell is that?

Have you had any issues trying to send files to the Omnia 7 via bluetooth (pictures mp3 etc?). Im having issues trying to pair the phone to other phone devices.

Ziggymon on
    edited November 2010
    Fennec's (Firefox for Android) performance is kinda awful still, but it's still in beta so who knows if they can't figure it out.

edit: but yeah android's greatest strength is that google does not really give a shit what developers do with it

not that having a well curated experience can't be an equally big strength, though

it's a trade-off

If iOS or WP7 already do everything you want to do with a phone, then they are the beter way to go

but if you want to do somethng else, like run a different browser, or what have you, then android provides the flexibility that you need.

Android is oddly enough taking the position that Windows Mobile devices used to hold, in terms of customizability.

Evander on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Engadget is saying that apparently the Venue will be available in stores, but not T-Mobile stores... Microsoft stores. Good thing there's one less than 2 miles from my house.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

it's a trade-off

If iOS or WP7 already do everything you want to do with a phone, then they are the beter way to go

but if you want to do somethng else, like run a different browser, or what have you, then android provides the flexibility that you need.

Android is oddly enough taking the position that Windows Mobile devices used to hold, in terms of customizability.

how is that odd?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've messed around with one personally and I think it's pretty cool.

One of the things I like the most is the case design, which is angled to let you know which way is up and isn't all slippery like iDevices.

Didn't get too much deeper into it than that though.

Xagar on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Have you had any issues trying to send files to the Omnia 7 via bluetooth (pictures mp3 etc?). Im having issues trying to pair the phone to other phone devices.

I haven't had a chance to try it, unfortunately.

Apothe0sis on
    edited November 2010
    Browsing the forums while I was waiting for a client in the city. Browsing was insanely fast in both processor and bandwidth ways. It was incredible.

Apothe0sis on
    edited November 2010

it's a trade-off

how is that odd?

because it feels like a step backwards.

they had a bunch of features for generations that they have completely scrapped

Evander on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I picked up a Focus for my wife today. The screen is mind blowing. The AT&T store here has it right next to the iPhone 4 which is a little sharper, but looks almost washed-out compared to the Focus.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited November 2010

it's a trade-off

how is that odd?

because it feels like a step backwards.

they had a bunch of features for generations that they have completely scrapped

Yet if you look at windows mobile upto 6.5, the whole system wasn't built for phone use but for PDA and pocket PC's. It was painfully obvious when I used the old HTC Vario with Win Mo 5 I think it was. To have all the features of the older OS onto windows phone 7 and have the user experience on these phones couldn't happen.

Ziggymon on
    edited November 2010
    Windows Mobile wasn't really built for use by humans. Or for use at all. More for infliction. As in "Windows Modbile was designed to be inflicted on poor unsuspecting users."

Hence why Windows Phone 7 is such a nice surprise.

Apothe0sis on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I use Winmo 6.5 every day and don't get what all the hatin's about. I can do everything on this thing.

LaCabra on
    edited November 2010
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I use Winmo 6.5 every day and don't get what all the hatin's about. I can do everything on this thing.

you know, I can get behind this

Winmo required a stylus (not a negative in my mind, a stylus is accurate), and didn't really have apps, but otherwise there is not much that can be said against it that can't be said against other smartphones.

I guess that's why WinPho seems so odd to me. It got rid of so many features in order to add what? a capacitive screen and an app store?

Evander on
    edited November 2010
    Well, I rock an HD2, so I do have a capacitive screen and no stylus (although I was thinking of buying one for drawing). And it does have apps, many years of them, it's just that the store itself is terrible - so that's not where you get them. It also means they don't have to be approved by anyone, and you can do all kinds of shit with the device.

My phone runs Windows Mobile 6.5, Froyo and Ubuntu flawlessly (and apparently any day now WP7) and I've realised I generally prefer Windows Mobile to Android. I do go back and forth between them every now and then though.

LaCabra on
    edited November 2010
    I never had 6.5, for the record, but I do sell HD2s, so I'm familiar with them. Yeah, the screen's capacitive, and Sense is optimized for that, but the rest fo the OS not so much. Still, who said a phone HAS to be capacitive?

The ability to install your own software is ANOTHER feature removed from WP7, though.

Evander on
    edited November 2010
    I haven't had any problems with the rest of the OS, you can turn off Sense and still be fine without a stylus

LaCabra on
    edited November 2010
    maybe you can. I can't. we've established the size of my hands many times over, though...

(and, as I said, I've never begrudged a stylus)

Evander on
    edited November 2010
    Interesting, I kind of chose the HD2 because I have enormous hands. These smaller phones, to me, they are like a baby's toy.

LaCabra on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, bad news for MS apparently. Microsoft failing to shift windows phone handsets. I'm kinda surprised at the numbers, considering all the money MS have piled into it I would have thought 100k as a minimum.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well they are talking about US, not worldwide, and not having handsets on the largest cellular network in the country is going to hurt sales. Not having handsets on every carrier in the US is going to hurt sales, and less sales = less word of mouth which leads to even less sales.

Let's also consider that some of the best Android phones made so far have just released this past spring and summer, meaning people just picked up a new two-year contract. They aren't going to break it for a completely different platform.

They really should have tried to release before Droid X and Galaxy S did, and they should have gotten phones for all carriers together before dumping into the market like this. I thought it was equally stupid for the Galaxy S phones to not all release at the same time.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited November 2010
    It isn't that surprising really when you look at the launch handsets in the Uk at least. Most are exclusive to a single networks ad have had little advertising outside orange.

HD7 is exclusive to O2 on quite expensive 24 month contract (thats the only phone on O2 for now) O2 are pushing the advertising though through its own stores as the flavour or the month.

T-Mobile has the Omnia 7 but has had difficulties in getting supplies in (they are on the cheapest contract (£35 pm 24 month contract).

Orange has the Omnia 7 and the Mozart with the mozart being heavily pushed by orange and microsoft, (quite honestly is very average phone handset when you compare the likes of the galaxy s and blackberrys on same contracts)

vodafone has the Lg Optimus 7 but has virtually no advertising for the device or windows phone 7.

Ziggymon on
  • SamuraiGattsSamuraiGatts Bearded Bully Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm an iphone 3gs user who just bought a Samsung Focus on Monday and have been using windows phone 7 for a few days now.

Positive impressions:
    -The screen is beautiful. It really is impressive.
    -The UI feels smooth and fluid. It is hard to describe but it just has a pleasant flow to it.

Negative impressions:
    -Lack of a unified inbox app is a bit annoying for those who manually fetch email from multiple accounts.
    -Microsoft's own services hurt the experience. Bing maps look pretty but the maps have no details at all and you have to zoom in too much to get most street names. Bing search just isn't as nice as google. I realize this is personal preference but the phone would benefit greatly from the ability to choose the map and search service.
    -Marketplace limitations. You can't download podcasts or video from the phone. You have to connect to a pc to sync them. Why podcasts should be different than music is beyond me.

Overall I love the UI. There are certainly a lack of some features that other more established platforms have that I really want and don't want to wait around for. This is frustrating but I recognize it is a first gen. Once they catch up a little in the feature area I think windows phone 7 has big potential.

I'm just trying to decide if I want to stick out the initial growing pains with the Samsung Focus or return to an iphone 4 and wait for the improvements by my next upgrade.

SamuraiGatts on
    edited November 2010
    Podcasts are different because podcasts don't come through the Marketplace (or the Appstore for Apple). iTunes just presents a portal which aggregates podcasts which have been submitted into the system. When you download a podcast on your 3GS you're actually downloading directly from the podcast's website's servers.

It would be cool if Microsoft took a leaf out of Apple's book in this regard, but that's why things are the way they are.

Apothe0sis on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    So, bad news for MS apparently. Microsoft failing to shift windows phone handsets. I'm kinda surprised at the numbers, considering all the money MS have piled into it I would have thought 100k as a minimum.

As mentioned that's only US sales; the Android/Iphone numbers they compare it to (200k/270k in the article they source Here) are worldwide .

Regardless, i take any news related to Microsoft from the Inquirer with the biggest grain of salt in the history of the world. Their MO is to shit on Microsoft every possible chance they can and makes it really hard to take the story seriously.

Compare the tone of the Inquirer article with The Street article they source or a different one here.

Also, I love the ads, like this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHlN21ebeak

Because it's pretty much exactly how I feel about phones and people using them these days. Also I've loved my Zune to death and I really like how the interface for the windows 7 phones works because of it. I was looking into getting an android but now I'm heavily leaning to this. The only thing that really concerns me is the lack of copy/paste on the phone which just seems baffling.

Anyway, tl;dr I think it's too early to be worrying too much about the daily sales on the windows 7 phones. Lets see how they hold up with holiday sales, black friday sales and such. No Sprint certainly can't help.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That is a great commercial.

Daemonion on
    edited November 2010
    Rumours are that C&P's update is scheduled for January. Something to look forward to.

Apothe0sis on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Loving the Focus so far. The capacitive buttons on the bottom are annoying as hell (seriously, if it's not the damn touch screen, I want real buttons), but otherwise it feels just as elegant as my iPhone 3GS.

One big thing I need a solution for: toast notifications for Twitter lists and Facebook. I set up my iPhone with Push so it would send updates from a Twitter list (about 12 of the 180 or so people I follow) to me directly; any way to do this on Phone 7 yet? I haven't been able to find a dedicated toasting app.

Might have to write one.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I agree that its not nearly that bad. WP7 sold 40,000 phones on day one, in a very crowded market. I think the iPhone sold something around 200,000 phones in its first week, in a much weaker market.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dusda wrote: »
    Loving the Focus so far. The capacitive buttons on the bottom are annoying as hell (seriously, if it's not the damn touch screen, I want real buttons), but otherwise it feels just as elegant as my iPhone 3GS.

One big thing I need a solution for: toast notifications for Twitter lists and Facebook. I set up my iPhone with Push so it would send updates from a Twitter list (about 12 of the 180 or so people I follow) to me directly; any way to do this on Phone 7 yet? I haven't been able to find a dedicated toasting app.

Might have to write one.

Yeah - none of the apps I have (granted, the only things I have are Twitter, Facebook, some games, and a local bus timing app) use push notifications :(

Twitter has some timeline refresh setting, but I have no idea what it actually does. It sure as hell doesn't refresh the timeline :?

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I agree that its not nearly that bad. WP7 sold 40,000 phones on day one, in a very crowded market. I think the iPhone sold something around 200,000 phones in its first week, in a much weaker market.

We also don't known what the G1 sold on the first day (as far as I can find), but it averaged something like a 5500 a day for the first six months. Beyond being unsubstantiated, the 40,000 number is kind of bunk. It also ignores the fact that many stores only had two or three of a given handset (by anecdotal reports, at least). Between AT&T, T-Mobile, and MS stores, 40k may have been most of the available stock.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And even if it didn't sell quit up to expectations (Though has been stated, theres no actual numbers with a proper source), I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that MS is going to continue to throw money at it until it succeeds like they did with the Xbox.

Zerokku on
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I don't think there's any chance of a Kin repeat.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg