Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Windows Phone 7. My god, it's full of tiles!

145791036

Posts

  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmm, that does sound pretty odd. I have a different password on my Gmail account too, although I used said Gmail to create the Live account. On mine it managed to pull my Windows Live Messenger contacts from the Live account, and the rest of my contacts from Gmail.

    steam_sig.png
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think you need to set up a Gmail account not just your live. Did you do the Gmail setup also?

  • ZeonZeon Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Yes but for a different address, because i use the address my live account is tied to specifically to sign up for things, and my phone would be dinging every 2 seconds with the amount of spam and crap i get there (even though i have spam filters set up).

    Should i set up the other address to get that "Needs Attention" notification to go away? Do i have the option to exclude checking of that email account, and exclude messages showing up in the email app? I didnt see anything like that in the options.

    *edit* nope, that didnt fix it either. Windows Live is still telling my my password is wrong even when i add that gmail account to the phone. And yeah, you can opt out of syncing email, but theres nothing else in that account anyway so i just deleted it.

    Maybe my phones just bugged? Because it is actually working, its just telling me that its not.

    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User
    edited November 2010
    My brother came by the house to show off his Samsung Focus and Wow. Just wow. What an amazing phone. Went ahead and ordered it off amazon right away after playing with it for a bit. $50 for that thing is a steal. Cannot wait for it to arrive.

  • ZeonZeon Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Are there any good comic reading apps for these phones yet? Something like ComicZeal would be awesome. I have graphic.ly but the selection and the app itself are lacking... The app controls are inconsistent, which leads to pages not flipping, pages flipping 2 at a time, and pages flipping while trying to scroll. Really annoying.

    Something i can transfer some of my own comics over with (ive got a bunch of copyright free cbr files) would be neat too.

    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2010
    Really really thinking about getting one of these through AT&T. Which is the best phone they offer? I'd prefer a physical keyboard but can live without it. I'd prefer something with some heft. A buddy has a Motorola running Android that's a fucking brick and I like it. Also prefer as large a screen as possible.

    I was leaning towards iPhone because of the games and app support being a bit better than the Android, but if MS really is gonna integrate Xbox Live and Live games for Windows 7 phones, then I'm definitely interested.

    Also, another really big thing is GPS/map. Bought the wife an iPhone 4 today and have been wandering around Manhattan and it's been a big help.

    Anyway. Impressions would be great. Gonna go through the thread in a minute.

    QlBGc.jpg
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Really really thinking about getting one of these through AT&T. Which is the best phone they offer? I'd prefer a physical keyboard but can live without it. I'd prefer something with some heft. A buddy has a Motorola running Android that's a fucking brick and I like it. Also prefer as large a screen as possible.

    The general consensus is that the Samsung Focus is by far the best WP7 available in the states (and on AT&T) but it doesn't fit either of those criteria. No physical keyboard and its incredibly light (though it doesn't feel breakable or anything)

    And whatever model you decide on, check out Amazon's current Smart Phone Sale to see if its available if you don't mind waiting for it to arrive

    http://wireless.amazon.com/f/smartphonepromo

  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2010
    What makes the Samsung phone the best of the first batch?

    QlBGc.jpg
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    What makes the Samsung phone the best of the first batch?

    The screen Super AMOLED makes the whole thing look gorgeous and the build quality of the samsung's are pretty good

    I have REZ for the Dreamcast PAL for sale £35. Other Excellent retro games for sale PM for details
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    What makes the Samsung phone the best of the first batch?

    The screen Super AMOLED makes the whole thing look gorgeous and the build quality of the samsung's are pretty good

    And the ability to add Micro SDHC cards for expanded memory, though there are some current issues with that at the moment.

  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You can check my mini review a few posts back but the Focus is a really nice phone. It doesn't have a hardware keyboard or any heft though. The software keyboard is really good though, as good as the iPhone and much better than Android. I'm typing this post from it right now. As for games there are a good amount on it right now and I'm seeing that more and more iPhone only games are coming from it. The Harvest is a fun RPG dungeon crawler.

    The camera is really nice too

  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone else have the thing where these forums appear all wonky on IE? Posts are at seemingly random font sizes.

    All the other vB forums I've tried don't have the same issue, though. :?

    steam_sig.png
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I have that too.

    Provide sample data to the Traitor project here || What is Traitor?
    SODOMISE INTOLERANCE
    Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Got a Focus last night (woo Black Friday BOGO!). This was an upgrade from a iPhone 3G, I wanted to jump ship and was gonna go Android but well, I'm taking a leap of faith on you WP7!

    Initial impressions: Amazing, this phone has the most cohesive user experience I've seen since before the era of smartphones. Everything just blends. I didn't even want the Facebook app initially because the People app integrates 90% of the functionality already. Preferring the keyboard and autocorrect system to iPhone, though I guess they kind of borrowed the latter from Android. Web browsing is great, I like that you can turn it landscape drops all UI, helps get the most out of the 4" screen.

    Zune integration is one of the top reasons I got this phone and it does NOT dissapoint. If you have a Zune/and or Zune Pass a WP7 is a must. You can stream full albums from the Zune Marketplace over 3G, sound quality was excellent in my car and pretty comparable to playing it directly off my old first gen Zune. In fact I like the Zune experience on this phone so much I'm considering a 16 or 32Gb microSD card and fully migrate all my music on to it. This really was like getting a Zune HD and a new phone all in one, I just have to add the memory.

    My only complaint is there is no Pandora app yet, though I understand that when it does come out it will play in the background and have Zune marketplace integration for buying tracks so I guess it'll be worth it. I found the App Marketplace to be burgeoning with choices, and I was able to track down a good majority of the apps I used to use on my iPhone or their equivilants. The apps are still in the early stages (for instance you can't actually submit reviews from the Yelp app, just browse) but I can see a bright future ahead. Because even though it's missing functioniality from it's iPhone bretheren on the Yelp app, the UI they've built for this one is better and I found it to be a heckuva a lot more responsive.

    WP7 is here and it definitely ain't DOA, I think they're gonna make a big push for this holiday season (been seeing more commercials) and hopefully with more users brings better apps and software.

    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Good to hear. Still waiting for Dell to give some news on their Venue Pro besides "Coming this Holiday Season"...hope choosing to get one instead of the LG Quantum (which Amazon.com had a sale on a while back) wasn't a bad decision.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Dell Venue Pro is going to T-Mobile. Which makes me sad as that's the phone I wanted. I might go with the Samsung Focus if I can't get the Dell Venue Pro.

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, that works out well for me, since I'm already with T-Mobile (and, at least locally, I've heard some horror stories from AT&T).

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • ZeonZeon Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Im still waiting for a decent comic book reader to come. Graphic.ly is pretty terrible, both in selection and the actual performance of the app. We're supposed to be getting a comic reader mobi port, but it hasnt happened yet and now their forums are down.

    *edit* their forums are back up now.

    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I looking at either getting a zune pass or looking at spotify membership to use on my Onmia 7.

    Now the Zune pass sounds awesome but found out I need to have a windows computer to load the zune software to enable the zune pass on my phone.

    Spotify i've been using for a while and love but haven't got a premium membership, it says that there will be an app for windows phone 7 coming soon but has no indication of when will this be.

    So you guys what would you do wait for spotify or try and buy a cheap net-top of something to use the zune software?

    I have REZ for the Dreamcast PAL for sale £35. Other Excellent retro games for sale PM for details
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i assume there's an osx software solution

    XMSODhjrer45.gif
  • MorskittarMorskittar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    i assume there's an osx software solution

    Supposedly the OS X client doesn't act as a proper Zune client. That said, you can download directly through the phone; I don't think anything needs to be set up on a PC. It can also now natively play on an Xbox if you've got one.

    snm_sig.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hmmm

    i handled an hd7 today and was floored by the experience

    XMSODhjrer45.gif
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i assume there's an osx software solution

    Supposedly the OS X client doesn't act as a proper Zune client. That said, you can download directly through the phone; I don't think anything needs to be set up on a PC. It can also now natively play on an Xbox if you've got one.

    For some reason it was asking me to sync up my phone for the first time to the zune software, lucky for me I managed to use an old XP machine and get the software.

    Can you only stream tracks individually or can you create a playlist on the WP7 using streamed tracks?

    I have REZ for the Dreamcast PAL for sale £35. Other Excellent retro games for sale PM for details
  • MorskittarMorskittar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i assume there's an osx software solution

    Supposedly the OS X client doesn't act as a proper Zune client. That said, you can download directly through the phone; I don't think anything needs to be set up on a PC. It can also now natively play on an Xbox if you've got one.

    For some reason it was asking me to sync up my phone for the first time to the zune software, lucky for me I managed to use an old XP machine and get the software.

    Can you only stream tracks individually or can you create a playlist on the WP7 using streamed tracks?

    You can create an ad hoc "now playing" playlist, but I don't think you can save multiples without a client. You can download subscription stuff onto the phone itself. There's less functionality than Zune players at the moment, which sucks, so you can't create a Smart DJ list automatically over the air; hopefully that makes it in the first big update.

    I have no idea what the OS X client looks like, but the PC client can copy downloaded subscription content from the phone, even if that PC isn't authorized to play it there. In theory you could build playlists without ever having to authorize that PC for the Zune Pass content - maybe the OS X client could work the same way?

    snm_sig.jpg
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Custom homebrew ringtone manager: http://www.chevronwp7.com/post/2054291102/chevronwp7-custom-ringtone-manager

    Apparently ChevronWP7 is trying to work with Microsoft in an official capacity: http://www.chevronwp7.com/post/2057541126/pursuing-the-future-of-homebrew-on-windows-phone-7

    My PA, PSN, XBL, Origin, and Steam names are the same. 3DS Friend Code: 1607-1682-2948
    steam_sig-400.png
    Stack Exchange | http://www.mpdevblog.blogspot.com
  • Dragon6860Dragon6860 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hmm...new Nielsen rateings for Smartphones are out, and some rather intresting, to me anywho, numbers. Apple, Blackberry and Android are a LOT closer in marketshare than I thought, I got the sense that Apple had a double digit lead over the second placer, but it's only by .5%. The Windows Mobile numbers are not too shabby either, but that's probaly layover from WinMo6 rather than 7.

    There's supposed to be a huge update coming up soon as well, Copy and Paste are first up. Lookin forward to going home so I'll be able to play with the bloody thing!

    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, I took the plunge, and ordered a Venue Pro unactivated. Without activation, it set me back a lot, but at least this way I won't be locked into a 2 year contract (and I can keep my old number/plan with only $30 more a month for internet, rather than a minimum of $79). I need to pick up a case for it, preferably one that doesn't say 'Otter' on the back, hah.

    The Nielsen ratings aren't too surprising, except I wouldn't have thought Microsoft had made such inroads already in October--if I told any of my friends, "Hey, you know, Microsoft's marketshare in phones is about half of that of Apple?" I don't think any would believe me.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They were 5 points higher last time Nielsen released their data. Android has jumped something ridiculous like 12 points in the same timeframe.

    steam_sig.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    edited December 2010
    Got a Samsung Focus today and really digging it.


    EDIT

    Very very impressed with it, to be honest. I was on the fence and spent a bit of time with the Samsung when I first arrived at the store. Then I went and used the iPhone and I pretty much knew I didn't want it.

    Is the lock screen the only screen that you can change the wallpaper on? I like the Facebook integration, but I don't like the clutter. It doesn't let me outright delete Facebook profiles that do not have a phone number or anything posted. Is there a way I can filter unwanted profiles out of my contact list?

    I read something about Facebook/RSS updates on the home screen. Is that just pinning the app to the home screen or do I need to do something else?

    Finally, is there a program like Pandora that can run in the background?

    Please suggest any apps!

    QlBGc.jpg
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Hmm...new Nielsen rateings for Smartphones are out, and some rather intresting, to me anywho, numbers. Apple, Blackberry and Android are a LOT closer in marketshare than I thought, I got the sense that Apple had a double digit lead over the second placer, but it's only by .5%. The Windows Mobile numbers are not too shabby either, but that's probaly layover from WinMo6 rather than 7.

    There's supposed to be a huge update coming up soon as well, Copy and Paste are first up. Lookin forward to going home so I'll be able to play with the bloody thing!

    Those number do not include WP7 yet. We have to wait for the next report.

  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    To remove Facebook contacts that aren't in your address book go to the settings the applications then people and set it to show only contacts in your address book

  • WildSpoonWildSpoon Registered User
    edited December 2010
    Sweet jesus you guys talking about this stuff is dissolving my willpower. Problem is I'm nowhere near upgrade time (not that I want to do another contract ever again anyway) so picking up one of these bad boys (mmmm focus) would cost me like 600 bones. Damn you all. Any Canadians try one of these phones out yet? I'm on Rogers and was curious of any key features were missing from the Canadian version, namely the Zune Marketplace stuff for music and / or the Zune Pass stuff.

    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
    Rich Cook.

    PSN ID - WildSpoon
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    WildSpoon wrote: »
    Sweet jesus you guys talking about this stuff is dissolving my willpower. Problem is I'm nowhere near upgrade time (not that I want to do another contract ever again anyway) so picking up one of these bad boys (mmmm focus) would cost me like 600 bones. Damn you all. Any Canadians try one of these phones out yet? I'm on Rogers and was curious of any key features were missing from the Canadian version, namely the Zune Marketplace stuff for music and / or the Zune Pass stuff.

    You might end up like me--biting the bullet and getting the cheapest web package from my current provider. But hey, at least it's unlimited so I can wait 10 minutes for a page to come up, and I get to keep my number.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User
    edited December 2010
    While I'm loving the phone, is anyone else worried that if this doesn't take off on quite the level MS wants it to, it won't receive the greatest support? Im basically worried that MS will be great with it for a little bit, then largely ignore it (a la Zune HD or Kin). I'm almost thinking if it doesn't seem like things are panning out in 6 months or so to go for an android.

  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MS has put their full weight behind the platform. If anything there are going to be more devices and support coming from it in the coming years. They know mobile is where a lot of computing is going and they are backing this platform fully

  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hopefully it will be more like the xbox, i.e. if it isn't successful, pump more money into it until it is. I think MS recognizes that smartphones are going to be a huge growth area for the next few years, so its worthy of more money-pumping.

    Steam & GT
    Spoiler:
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    edited December 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »
    While I'm loving the phone, is anyone else worried that if this doesn't take off on quite the level MS wants it to, it won't receive the greatest support? Im basically worried that MS will be great with it for a little bit, then largely ignore it (a la Zune HD or Kin). I'm almost thinking if it doesn't seem like things are panning out in 6 months or so to go for an android.

    KIN failed* because it kinda sucked, still ran off the old Windows CE stuff, and no one bought it. The exact opposite of the new Windows phones. Ridiculously good, brand new OS, and seems like it's getting decent adoption.


    * it's still available, just not MS branded.

    QlBGc.jpg
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Zerokku wrote: »
    While I'm loving the phone, is anyone else worried that if this doesn't take off on quite the level MS wants it to, it won't receive the greatest support? Im basically worried that MS will be great with it for a little bit, then largely ignore it (a la Zune HD or Kin). I'm almost thinking if it doesn't seem like things are panning out in 6 months or so to go for an android.

    KIN failed* because it kinda sucked, still ran off the old Windows CE stuff, and no one bought it. The exact opposite of the new Windows phones. Ridiculously good, brand new OS, and seems like it's getting decent adoption.


    * it's still available, just not MS branded.

    Kin mostly failed because it didn't offer full smartphone capabilities but Verizon priced it like a smartphone. Apparently with the new release of it they have realized they can't ding full pop for data like they were doing. It's meant to be a teen phone for parents who don't want to shell out huge dollars for a full fledged smartphone.

    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    All the more reason the Neilsen findings in October are so surprising.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • MorskittarMorskittar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    All the more reason the Neilsen findings in October are so surprising.

    Those don't include WP7 as it became available in only some regions toward the end of the month.

    Initial sales really don't matter though. MS is gonna be in this one for the long game.

    snm_sig.jpg
145791036
Sign In or Register to comment.