As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania] - BITCH, I EAT PEOPLE!

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Games and Technology
3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
Cantido on

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I for one am loving this game. Every upgrade. Every new item. It just gets more and more fun and amazing the further you get.

Eagerly anticipating going back through the early stages with my Ultra-Gabriel.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LoD = Lords of the Draculas?

Or what? :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm not finished with the game yet, so I can't really speak to the ending of the story, but so far, I'd actually pick this game over God of War 3 as my game of the year. That's how good it is.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    LoD = Lords of the Draculas?

Or what? :D

Thread title fixed to change title and commemorate Sexy Witches.

Cantido on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sure there's no sexy witches, but there are werewolf bloodsplosions.

Walt on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That one vampire lady was pretty smexy

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spoilers from chapter 10 and before.
    Just finished the graveyard for titans. I thought the second lord of shadow was fantastic. Loved the fight and cinematics. I remember being hyped as hell for the titan fights in this game, though I think the Lords of Shadow have been far better actually. Really looking forward to the third. Though having said that, the titans do look fucking awesome.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Carmilla was not sexy enough.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Was hoping for Castlevania: Legion of Doom myself :(

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Pff,there was even a little nipple slip.

Of course "dark crystal demon" wins for pure sexiness

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just beat it, holy shit.
    holy shit. D:D:D:

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Pff,there was even a little nipple slip.

Of course "dark crystal demon" wins for pure sexiness

Alura_une.PNG

2nd favorite female monster :winky:

Cantido on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What, no sexy witches? Who would want to buy that!?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Sexy [Halloween Costume] List - NSFW for language

Ahem:

Back to the game. I'm at the final third of the game.
    I finally have a Double Jump, and I've gone back to disc 1 to figure out where those really high treasure chests are.

Also, that Retrospective made me go out and get a 2000 Wii Points card so I can grab CV II, III, and Rondo of Blood.

Cantido on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm trying to take the game slow, so as to savor it. Just beat Chapter 2 last night.
    Damn, Gabriel is slipping into madness faster than I thought he would. Apparently killing Claudia, then being forced to kill the Golem to take his gauntlet, with Pan goading him to do it. The reveal with the Lord of the Lycans, and Marie's reappearance were interesting as well. Lot's of good stuff there. I'm starting to wonder if Pan is who he seems to be and if Marie's appearances are legit or not. Her appearances after Gabriel does something difficult or terrible lead me to believe something else is going on.

Combat is really starting to open up. I've already bought most of the advanced whip techniques available to me at the moment. Going to focus on relic powers after that. Parry/counterstrike really is the way to go. It charges up the focus meter so fast, which lets me keep my magic maxed out. So fun. Given the rapid fire attainment of the gauntlet and the Lycan's speed, I need to practice with all the new moves available to me.

The only negative is the camera. It leads to some awkward combat and platforming at times. Everything else is great.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yes, game-related I did finally try the demo for this over the weekend and liked it a lot. It didn't really feel like Castlevania, but the atmosphere definately felt "right" (at least, right for a middle-ages era London village being besieged by minions of the night.... and maybe up until the French unicorn kind of ruined the mood...)

I'll probably stick this one on my Christmas list though.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey new thread. We should just make this the all purpose castlevania thread since that's half of what is discussed anyway.

I need to get back to my paladin playthrough. I put it off because I played too much of the game all at once after I got it.

Of course now I probably have forgotten how to play.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm picking this up this weekend with some Best Buy FunBucks that I have saved up.

Ceno on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm on Chapter 5 now. Tomorrow I get to play on my HDTV again, which will be nice.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cantido wrote: »

Sexy [Halloween Costume] List - NSFW for language

Ahem:

Back to the game. I'm at the final third of the game.
    I finally have a Double Jump, and I've gone back to disc 1 to figure out where those really high treasure chests are.

Also, that Retrospective made me go out and get a 2000 Wii Points card so I can grab CV II, III, and Rondo of Blood.

Don't forget IV damnit.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I am NOT playing CVIV again. I played that one and have no desire to cheap-death my way through that again.

Come to think of it, that's how playing through II, IV and Rondo of Blood are probably going to go too.

Cantido on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Someone needs to mod in a Gabriel costume that removes all skin tone, bleaches his hair white, and adds feathers and buckles to every inch of his outfit so that Iga devotees will feel at home. I wish they had just gone with their initial instinct and made this guy Simon in his no-pants armor.

SCIV was the greatest.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ceno wrote: »
    Someone needs to mod in a Gabriel costume that removes all skin tone, bleaches his hair white, and adds feathers and buckles to every inch of his outfit so that Iga devotees will feel at home. I wish they had just gone with their initial instinct and made this guy Simon in his no-pants armor.

SCIV was the greatest.

Add in the missing hot monster chicks and you have The Witcher.

Cantido on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

SCIV was the greatest.

Gabriel is actually a foreign exchange student that has had a completely Japanese friend his entire life somehow. And Zobek is actually Zoubeku.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    I am NOT playing CVIV again. I played that one and have no desire to cheap-death my way through that again.

Come to think of it, that's how playing through II, IV and Rondo of Blood are probably going to go too.

Die monster. You don't belong in this world!

also are the trials easily done on paladin or are they just a pain in the arse? And what a good chapter to replenish my crystal and quickly..

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

SCIV was the greatest.

They should have pulled a MGS3 by asking you at the start of the game which Castlevania you liked better: SCIV or SoTN.

Vray on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Guys.

I'm pretty sure Dante's Inferno (the game, not the literary masterpiece) is part of the canon of this game. Dante is actually Gabriel. And Beatrice is actually Maria. And the final third part of Castlevania is actually a prelude to Gabriel going to hell, fighting his way through the nine rings, and retrieving his lost love from the clutches of Lucifer, and coming back to the land of the living to found the Belmont dynasty of Vampire Slayers.

It all makes sense now.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So did Gabriel forget about good combat when we went down to hell then?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah...

Gabriel is way better at combat than Dante. Especially aerial juggles. Dante basically doesn't do aerial juggles. He likes to be standing on the ground.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So did Gabriel forget about good combat when we went down to hell then?

And did Death become a weak little bitch?

How about a nice game of chess, ja?

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The way they portrayed Death in Dante's Inferno is incredible. I don't think Death has ever been portrayed as such a wuss before. He was practically crying in a corner. Castlevania's Death would kick his ass. At least he doesn't beg for mercy.

Gilder on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am disappointed in all the SCIV love here.

Bloodlines, people.

Bloodlines.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    IV is the better game.

It's also better then Rondo, which is too easy and too short.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bloodlines is better because it has someone who is capable in attacking in more than two directions when standing.

Whip tricks, while awesome, don't count.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The only big complaint I have about CV IV is that there is an abundance of "Hey look, SNES can do cool stuff like Mode 7!!!!! ZOMG look at all this cool, pointless stuff we can do!!!" in there (which was the case for a lot of early SNES titles). I mean, the rotating room (and whip hooks in general) served absolutely no purpose but to show off the hardware.

That said, it's still an awesome game.

Edit:
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Bloodlines is better because it has someone who is capable in attacking in more than two directions when standing.

??? I though Simon could attack in 8 directions with his whip (this is excluding the pointless dangle move). In fact, this is one of the few Castlevanias that let you do that - they kind of went back to classic whip controls after that.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well I never played any of those. Circle of the moon was my first then dawn of souls and portrait of ruin and i've loved all three of them. I just bought SotN cause it was on sale on PSN a few weeks ago but I haven't played more than 10 minutes of it yet and I've never had access to the other older games.
    I understand it's a different play experience between all of those and the other games but it's more the world of Castlevania that keeps me coming back and made me all excited for this new one.
    People who go into a new game wanting it to be an old game are weird

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The only big complaint I have about CV IV is that there is an abundance of "Hey look, SNES can do cool stuff like Mode 7!!!!! ZOMG look at all this cool, pointless stuff we can do!!!" in there (which was the case for a lot of early SNES titles). I mean, the rotating room (and whip hooks in general) served absolutely no purpose but to show off the hardware.

That said, it's still an awesome game.

Edit:
    MechMantis wrote: »

??? I though Simon could attack in 8 directions with his whip (this is excluding the pointless dangle move). In fact, this is one of the few Castlevanias that let you do that - they kind of went back to classic whip controls after that.

What black sorcery were YOU using? I never remember being able to attack in all directions in SCIV.

Then again I played it at a friend's house for about ten minutes, said "Goddamnit where is my spear", walked home, brought him Bloodlines and then we played that to completion.
    Eric also has the best subweapon. "Oh hey look at that THE ENTIRE SCREEN IS FILLED WITH FIRE.

How bout that."

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You can definitely attack in multiple directions in IV.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Huh.

I am mistaken.

However there was also the issue of the soundtrack. Which was... poor. At least in comparison.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bloodlines is the only one I ever missed out on, aside from the gameboy ones.

I think I may have rented it, but didn't get much play out of it.

I should remedy that.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png