As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LAX to Blizzcon Transportation.

MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So yay, my ride to and from LAX for Blizzcon is looking like it won't pan out.

Advise on how to get to the convention center cheaply?

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
301787-1.png
Muriden on

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Finding a bus would be the cheapest. Renting a car would probably be the best.

NotYou on
  • Options
    GrizzledGrizzled Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's Google Maps attempt at a mass transit solution:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=lax&daddr=anaheim+convention+center&hl=en&geocode=FezvBQIdVjrx-ClNpPu-ILHCgDEzG4k9ug9THQ%3B&mra=ltm&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=10%2F12%2F10&time=3:59pm&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=&sll=33.904648,-118.176017&sspn=0.409751,0.617294&ie=UTF8&ll=33.910885,-118.257866&spn=0.204861,0.308647&z=12&start=0

Looks pretty crap, involves like four bus transfers.

I would rent a car if at all possible, Anaheim sucks without one. Budget will let you rent without a credit card if you can afford a deposit of a couple hundred dollars or so, they have a pretty good fleet at LAX.

Grizzled on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rent a car. Mass transit in LA is not very useful.

Also stay off the 405 during rush hour (which is 3pm to 7pm).

zilo on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    1) why don't you just fly in to john wayne?
    2) figure out what direct LAX to disneyland shuttle you can take.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »

I'm thinking the same thing. John Wayne (SNA) is much closer to your intended destination. If you couldn't figure out a bus from there, renting a car wouldn't be a problem at all. My wife rented a car out of SNA for a business trip recently and it was only $160 for a Mon-Thurs rental.

Edit--As opposed to renting a car from LAX where it cost me over $500 for a Sun-Sat rental and that was a super economy/budget car.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There are a bunch of budget rental places near LAX that don't have offices in the terminals. A buddy of mine rented a Hyundai from one of them for a week and it was rather cheap. Not exactly sure how much, but certainly not $500 for a weekend.

zilo on
  • Options
    GrizzledGrizzled Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow, this is a tangent, but you should never ever pay anything close to $500 for a weekend car rental at LAX. If you take the shuttle out to the rental lots you should be able to get an economy car for 40-50 dollars a day.

Grizzled on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »

Edit--As opposed to renting a car from LAX where it cost me over $500 for a Sun-Sat rental and that was a super economy/budget car.

Guys, I said $500 for a Sunday through Saturday rental. That's one week, not 2 days.

And $500 for one week is still ridiculous.

ANYWAY.

I'd still like to know why the OP chose LAX instead of SNA to fly into. I suppose it doesn't matter if he already bought his plane tickets. If that's the case, a car rental really is his best option due to LA's mass transit being complete crap. Speaking as a former resident, a car is absolutely necessary to get around in LA.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If you're looking at $40 to $50 a day, what is the cost of cab fair?

I wont need the car during the days I'm staying as I'm at a hotel adjacent to the center.

Muriden on
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    ChickeenChickeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Flight prices through John Wayne vs LAX can be vastly different.

I think a shuttle van would run about $40 each way.

Chickeen on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's a the route by car.

35 miles or so. Pricey cab ride for sure. Especially if there's traffic. But, convenient.

Esh on
  • Options
    ChickeenChickeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I guess you could take the metrolink train. $14 round-trip bus ride from LAX to Union Station. $17 round-trip from Union Station to Anaheim. Then you'd probably have 3 or so miles to get to your hotel.

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/

Chickeen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm still working out the ride situation but developing this as a Plan B. The bus ride looks unpleasant to be sure and I know I can't swing renting a car. I'm thinking a service like Super Shuttle would be best.

Muriden on
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm guessing based on how much it costs to go from LAX to the valley ($65) which is 20 miles, but I'd expect LAX to Orange County to run around $100 each way.

zilo on