As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Familly troubles

JeanJean Heartbroken papa bearGatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Some background info first : My mother is 64, my father is 66, I am 26. I am the only children from their marriage.

Something very troubling happened Saturday Night. Slightly past midnight, my mother call me. Her words were : YOUR FATHER IS DYING, COME RIGHT NOW. Such urgency in her words, such sadness... coupled to the fact her usual bedtime is 9pm and she never calls that late....

Obviously, all that made me panicked beyond words so I came to their house as fast as I could.

I found my father in his bedroom, very much alive. He have obviously seen better days, but he wasnt in any immediate danger of dying.

Age is very much catching up to him. His hair is whitening and thining. He had a very bad cough for 2 stragith weeks that wont go away. His work is stressing him a lot.

It's however obvious than he's not on the verge of death. Of all people, my mother should be the first to realise this. I dont think the details are relevant but she was on death doorsteps back when I was a child... she knows what its like to be almost dead, to put it bluntly. My father's health is nowhere as bad as hers was.

I spent the night at their house. In the morning it was like all that drama never happened. I spoke to both of them since then.. no mention of Saturday's night. I lacked the courage to broach the subject first.

I feel like I should be fucking pissed at my mother for making me panic like that yet ... I cant.

I only have question hauting me. WHY? Why did she do this?

It's the first time she ever called me at such a late hour. It's the first time she ever said my father's like was in danger. Pulling something like this is not in her habits. AT ALL.

What's going on? Why the panic?

i've kept all that inside since it happened but I cant hold it no more....

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
Jean on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd say your mother is the best person to ask that question. She can answer it better then we can, since we can't answer it at all.

As for your panic, you're realizing your parents are mortal and won't be around forever.

Esh on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    It... almost sounds like she was having a nightmare.

I mean, we can speculate, but you should really talk to her about this. If they've been together so long, it's possible that she's really troubled about his health, or about hers, or about theirs. Do they have life insurance? Plans for what one will do when the other dies? None of that is very pleasant to think about, but it was a strange incident. It's obviously bothering you, and maybe something is bothering her too.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Something probably happened, she worried and her imagination ran wild, making her worry more until she called you. The fact that she had a brush with death in the past would make this all the more likely. I doubt it was some crazy ploy to get you to visit them or a sick joke. As long as it wasn't, I'm not sure why on earth you'd should be mad.

As Esh said, just talk to your folks about it; there's absolutely no reason not to. No need to make a big deal about it even, a simple "Man, last night was crazy. Nearly gave me a heart attack, mom! *chuckle* What was that all about?" would suffice.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Huh, I don't mean to be horrible or anything, but that could be a sign of dementia. Though she may have just been delirious.

I would talk to her about it. Don't skirt around the issue either, be honest but gentle. You definitely need to address this issue with her, though, if only for her sake.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I visited my parents earlier today to clear up the situation. My father was trying to change the subject but then again he's never been one to discuss his emotions at lenght.

My mother told me she feels terrible for making me worry and cry like that. She promised to never do that again. She barely even tried to defend what she did Saturday's night..She was very relieved when I told her I wasnt mad at her, just confused as hell. I have no reason to doubt her sincerity.

My parents are still very much in love and my mother is terrified at the tought of loosing the love of her life.

My father has been stuck with the same horrible cough for 2 weeks now yet he refuse to go see the doctor. Nothing my mother or I will say can make him change his mind I fear even tough he's shooting himself in the foot by being that stubborn :(

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They do realize that we in Canada have the advantage of public health care? As in they could just schedule an appointment with the doctor to get the issue checked out?

My advice would be to keep on broaching the topic of a doctor's appointment to diagnose the cough before it get worse (hopefully it is something mild). I realize that he might not want to know something's wrong but it's better knowing than having something serious sneak up on you.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey, it's good to hear your message. Sounds like your mom is on the level and just got worked up.

Have you asked your father to visit the doctor, for your mom's sake? Having the same cough for two whole weeks sounds bacterial, and he may need a course of antibiotics. Let him know that he owes it to his wife, his kids, and himself to make sure his health is in order.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They do realize that we in Canada have the advantage of public health care?

Of course they do. My father say he dont want to wait, than by the wait he get an appointement he'll already be better. I suggested going to a private clinic (my parents have more than enough money to afford that) but he was very unreceptive to that suggestion.

I have 2 possible causes in mind : Either his smoking past is catching up to him (he stopped smoking when my mother got pregnant with me but he did smoked for 20+ years prior that) or it's caused by stress. Only a qualified doctor could diagnise for sure what's going on in his body tough.

Jean on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It sounds like she freaked a little. Or maybe even he did. Quite understandable if they're worried about health.

Unless it becomes a pattern, I guess you can only hope it's lesson learned?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Beck wrote: »
    Huh, I don't mean to be horrible or anything, but that could be a sign of dementia. Though she may have just been delirious.

I would talk to her about it. Don't skirt around the issue either, be honest but gentle. You definitely need to address this issue with her, though, if only for her sake.

This is the first thing i thought of. Might also be alzheimers or some other neurlogical disease, it happens as people get older. Im not saying send her off to a home or freak her out by telling her to go to the doctor, but it might be worth it to kind of keep an eye on her to make sure she isnt acting strange. If it is something like that, catching it early is beneficial, as there are treatment options available.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.