Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[FFXIV] Things are starting to shape up!

• ForceVoidForceVoid Registered User regular
    Spoiler:

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5213-0970
    PM if you add me!
    Spoiler:

PM if you add me!
    Spoiler:

PM if you add me!
    Spoiler:

Other changes include gathering table alterations, buying and selling price changes, stuff you can buy for guild marks (materia).

Huge patch notes-ga!

PM if you add me!
    New changes to spell targetting (not having to reselect the target after hitting the button) makes soloing a caster way easier. One issue though, while self buffs work fine in a fight, casting Cure while the monster is selected will fail...

Need to make a macro for that.

Also, getting your inn room, in Ul'dah at least, takes about 5 minutes if you wanna log in and start accumulating rested xp.

PM if you add me!
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    So if you don't specifically choose to be moved to a different server, do you just get moved to whatever the merge server is?

Or do I need to start poking around to find out where most people are moving to? That's the only thing I never quite got around to finding out.

• Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    I'm letting wutai merge take me to the designated spot. Anyone do any of the job/af quests yet? I can get all of them (50 all combat classes) but I'm not convinced I want to pay yet.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Clockwork Mog the smaller, quieter Penny-Arcade free company on Sargatanas. Recruiting 21 and older members. PM for details
    Join Raidcall 7779399 (open to all that want to chat!)
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/729901127059317/
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Are You Satisfied?Registered User regular
    So in light of the new patch, have there been any improvements on the performance side of things? Does it run better, less crashes, etc?

• jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Is this combination class / job system something that is slotted for 2.0? It seems... weird. Much more complicated than simply making everything the same thing, and having some of them inaccessible until such time as you unlock them, ala FFXI.

(Also, I can revive hope for a Geomancer class!)

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
    I'm not even sure how its complicated.

You go do some quests, get a crystal, equip it and get additional skills.

Actually, it's better because you can do it without going back to town.
    jdmichal wrote:
    Is this combination class / job system something that is slotted for 2.0? It seems... weird. Much more complicated than simply making everything the same thing, and having some of them inaccessible until such time as you unlock them, ala FFXI.

(Also, I can revive hope for a Geomancer class!)

PM if you add me!
  • jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular

It's not just getting additional skills. It's stat changes. It's stricter limitations on cross-class skills. It's tied back to the "primary" class for experience. Oh, and it ties into the equipment system too.

If it were just "additional skills", then the quests could just give you the skills and be done with it. In reality, it's a completely separate system barely bolted onto the existing class system, and using the existing inventory system as its vehicle of choice implementation.

It's ugly, and I don't understand why anyone would design such an ugly thing from scratch. Hence my query of whether it was something they planned to maintain into 2.0, or if they were just using the period leading up to 2.0 to play around with new ideas.

XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
    jdmichal wrote: »

It's not just getting additional skills. It's stat changes. It's stricter limitations on cross-class skills. It's tied back to the "primary" class for experience. Oh, and it ties into the equipment system too.

If it were just "additional skills", then the quests could just give you the skills and be done with it. In reality, it's a completely separate system barely bolted onto the existing class system, and using the existing inventory system as its vehicle of choice implementation.

It's ugly, and I don't understand why anyone would design such an ugly thing from scratch. Hence my query of whether it was something they planned to maintain into 2.0, or if they were just using the period leading up to 2.0 to play around with new ideas.

I actually rather think its well implemented. So I guess this is where opinions differ. Your stats merely go up a little more in conjunction with whatever the main job already is. Yes, you can equip like.. 3 less cross class skills, because you gain some odd 6 new job skills from the crystal. The jobs can equip all the stuff their base primary class can, they just have some extra equipment that is job x only. Such as AF.

I'm sorry you find it ugly, but its actually a nice way to put in advanced jobs for people who want something to aim for while leveling their classes up, while bringing back the linchpin names and job identities from the series. It's simply another way to specialize if you feel compelled to do as such.

It is an interesting twist on the classic specialization required for group play. When soloing, you want a wide range of abilities to cover yourself:
    Weak heal for downtime
    Some light CC
    No need for anti/plus-aggro mechanics
    In a group, though, that weak heal would be wasted, and aggro management becomes important.
    It seems like this system is an elegant answer. You basically equip an adv. Job to maximize your grouping powet.

PM if you add me!
  • QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    So, is there a free trial of some kind for this game? Looks like it might be worth playing now, but still not really digging paying for it without trying it.

Nope, no trial at the moment.

PM if you add me!
  • draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    Seeing all the new pics of the AF armor almost makes me want to come back, however this game was not able to capture that magic that FFXI had for me. The lack of any guild probably contributed a lot to that tho. I'm definitely going to resub when it releases on the ps3 tho. The first few months of an MMO are always my favorite and if they're gonna open new servers I wanna get in on the ground floor

• HaleskarthHaleskarth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Right, so after a long hiatus I've decided to retry to game. Is there an LS for PA peeps, or at least a recommended server?

or does anyone have an ls on a decent server that wants a newb? :P

Haleskarth on
    Haleskarth wrote: »
    Right, so after a long hiatus I've decided to retry to game. Is there an LS for PA peeps, or at least a recommended server?

or does anyone have an ls on a decent server that wants a newb? :P

This, I'm strongly considering resubbing but not to just putz around solo again. I would need to know of a ls on Wutai with some friendly people before I'd resub.

Also I still have my buddy pass from CE so if anyone really wants a trial just shoot me a pm and I could dig it out

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    If people want a decent guild on Wutai Masamune you could do much worse than Pandemonium. They literally picked my newb ass up off the street and have been super helpful and supportive. We recently set up a real website which you can see here: http://pandemoniumls.enjin.com/home

There's an application page but you might also get good results by going to chat and if you see anyone there ask about joining.

In-game I'm Passive Fist, see you around.

steam_sig.png
    So I think I'm going to resub this weekend. I was really supposed to wait until 2.0 but seeing all the AF armor has really given me the itch again. The plan is to just be super casual and get a few 50s with AF before 2.0 but I always say that then wind up playing for hours a night. I already have a 50thm and 44 cnj so I'm hoping for archer and lancer to join that mix. With no more guardian favor and the addition of inns, it seems the leveling time is gonna be crazy fast, and it only took me like 4 weeks the first time to get a 50

Just a couple questions, how much did the last few patches change the game, besides jobs that is. Last time I played I used to just do leves with THM or CNJ and just AE everything down. Was the change to all the class skills well received?

draw4wild wrote: »
    Just a couple questions, how much did the last few patches change the game, besides jobs that is. Last time I played I used to just do leves with THM or CNJ and just AE everything down. Was the change to all the class skills well received?

The combo system and the buffs that change your spells a bit (THM) make things more interesting, and the passives were a nice touch. Of course, the ability to remove secondary targetting is civilization for the primary magical classes.

PM if you add me!
  • PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    So apparently since I resubscribed last night and not the night before, my character is in some limbo until mid to late april and I will be unable to play, yet was billed.. It is very nice of them to send out the notice on this matter two days after it is relevant.. SE really tests my loyalty at time..

Love,

| Steam: Pookie | DOTA 2 Pookie |
    edited March 2012
    How does that work? I mean, with SE, I get that you might get billed now and at the end of the month or something, but why can't you play?

Is this for XIV or XI?

EDIT: Love your AV, btw ;-)

ForceVoid on
    PM if you add me!
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    How does that work? I mean, with SE, I get that you might get billed now and at the end of the month or something, but why can't you play?

Is this for XIV or XI?

EDIT: Love your AV, btw ;-)

Haha thanks. This is for XIV.

Here is the notice from SE that came out today, March 28th:
    Spoiler:

So because I resubscribed on the 27th, but not the 26th, my character is in limbo for an unknown amount of time. They had no problem billing right away, of course. :p

Love,

I guess I will not be resubbing this weekend as planned. That's hilarious that the announcement came out the day after tho

I guess I will not be resubbing this weekend as planned. That's hilarious that the announcement came out the day after tho

It was dissappointing for sure but it has been rectified now. My character was transferred last night and I was able to play. I'd try to get in touch with support before resubbing this weekend just to make sure your character would be available.

Love,

So I'm resubbed and on masamune, I should have 99 leves to play with so I know what my weekend looks like. Hopefully new combat mechanics don't take too long to get used to.

Also im not sure How inns work? I understand rested xp from every other mmo, but since I can change quickly from a class that has 7k needed to lvl to a class that has 70k needed to level it seems it's always better to use rested bonus on a higher lvl class if it's percentage based. I would rather 35k xp bonus vs 3.5k xp.

• DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    Does anyone have their Square Enix Members code/pin still unused from this game?

I have a couple other unused game codes that I can't register because they're doubles of titles I've already registered. I'll give you one back so you still get 50 points to register, but I specifically need FFXIV as I've exhausted pretty much every other possible title. (unless someone has FFXIII-2 for 360, or any other PC SE title)

I even have my own copy of this game, but forgot to register the pin before I put it in storage in another city. And the deadline is March 31 for registering games this year

So I'm resubbed and on masamune, I should have 99 leves to play with so I know what my weekend looks like. Hopefully new combat mechanics don't take too long to get used to.

Also im not sure How inns work? I understand rested xp from every other mmo, but since I can change quickly from a class that has 7k needed to lvl to a class that has 70k needed to level it seems it's always better to use rested bonus on a higher lvl class if it's percentage based. I would rather 35k xp bonus vs 3.5k xp.

What is your character name? I got transferred to Masamune as well.

Love,

Sells Semidey. I was able to get CNJ from 44 to 50 in 2 days. I can't believe how easy leveling completely solo was. It's about 8-12k xp for the lvl 40 leves and you only need 100k for last level and most leves you can finish within 5 min. I had 99 stored leves and now have 63 stored. Too bad I don't have Gld or pug at 15 yet so I can't comment on any job quests.

I need to do some ls research now, I got a lot of whispers for xp parties but since all I know how to do on CNJ at the moment is solo guild leves I'm not sure how good of a healer I make yet and I haven't played THM in 4 months

• RizziRizzi Registered User regular
    I have a question.
    I was always sorta interested in FF XI but I didn't quite dig the idea of needing a gamepad to play it.
    This game isn't like that, right? Also would like to know if the game has any horrible performance issues. I can get the game for like, $15 and I figure it would be better to ask before I grabbed it.

edited April 2012
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I have a question.
    I was always sorta interested in FF XI but I didn't quite dig the idea of needing a gamepad to play it.
    This game isn't like that, right? Also would like to know if the game has any horrible performance issues. I can get the game for like, $15 and I figure it would be better to ask before I grabbed it.

My friends and I played FFXI for years without a gamepad so I was unaware that a gamepad was necessary. The scheme was a bit odd in retrospect (num pad movement?!) but it certainly worked and was comfortable. Some people prefer one method of control over another but it is all personal preference. FFXIV controls much like any modern MMO, WASD with abilities on 1-9. You can make macros and assign them to CTRL 1-9 or ALT 1-9 as well.

As for performance issues... the game is not coded efficiently. Up until the Nvidia 680 came out a month ago, I had the best computer you could make within reason, yet I can't max everything. If I am in a very crowded area, I get frame rate drops. Maybe I need to install the game on my SSD instead of my standard hard drive, but regardless, the game doesn't run as well as it should on most rigs. It can be absolutely gorgeous but will run less well or look less amazing than other things your rig can run, i.e. skyrim, BF3.

If you do choose to give it a shot, which I would recommend because I really enjoy the game, come prepared to deal with flaws, treating the game like a beta. In my mind, I am playing an early access beta version of FFXIV where I get to keep my character at the end. Each patch brings all kinds of fixes, content, and new goodies. If these patches are any indication, FFXIV 2.0 is going to be a great game.

Pookiepoo on
    Love,

edited April 2012
    Getting framerate drops in very crowded areas is kinda normal for an MMO though.
    I ran the benchmark program, and it ran nicely. So hopefully it runs similar. :p

Rizzi on
    I feel a little bad. I just bought the game for $9.
    How do I ensure I play on the US servers? I don't want to lock myself on to the EU servers or something.

edited April 2012
    I don't understand the billing. I have to pay per character?
    Whaaaaat?
    Okay, I made my character. He's a Lalafell Gladiator. He's so god damned adorable. <3
    I'm slowly figuring out how the game works. The game runs pretty decently. Bit stuttery, but nothing too terrible.
    How many leves can I do? I think I saw something about a limit? What do I do once I hit the limit, just grind?

Rizzi on
    edited April 2012
    You start with 20 then get 8 leves every 24 hours. the allowances will stack up to 99 so if you don't play for a day you'll come back to 16 leves. As long as you have allowances you can do as many leves as you want. You can only get 4 at a time per camp tho so you have to run back to the city to get 4 more. I wouldn't do leves till you get to at least the lvl 10 ones tho, it's not worth wasting the allowances on the lvl 1 camp ones

Also make sure to do the inn quest, logging out in an inn is the only way to get rested xp and the quests take about 30 seconds each city. You can't rest in uldah at the moment tho so you'll have to log out in limsa lominsa or gridinia for the time being

draw4wild on
    I'm not really sure what I should be doing. I managed to figure out some of the crafting by myself, and I worked my way up to making a nice bronze armoursmith hammer. No clue how to actually make armour since they haven't given me any actual plans.
    I got armoursmith and blacksmithing up to level 8, and gladiator up to level 7. I found a treasure chest that had a bronze gladius in it which was kinda nice.
    And now I can't find any quests.

Your main source of leveling is really going to be leves and grinding. Quests are in the game more to flesh out the story than anything else. So while there are a few quests that offer a nice chunk of xp, especially the main story quests, they are not going to be a main source of xp

The chests randomly appear while you are on leves

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It's sort of been too long since anyone came in and talked about how incredibly bad this game is. The only people posting are the positive posters, and it's potentially luring people in unwittingly.

"Well, look at this. Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What's that make us?"
    "Big Damn Heroes, Sir."
    "Ain't we just."