As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Advice on networking my flat.

Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
Hi folks

In June of this year I moved into a new flat. It’s nice and my room is considerably bigger – however it is also much further away from the phone socket than I would like. We have a two phone sockets in the living room (one of which apparently doesn’t work) and one in my bedroom. At the moment our router is plugged into the phone socket the furthest away from my room, and trailing CAT5 from my computer into the living room isn’t really very feasible since it would trail outside my flatmates door, across floors etc. I have tried two different wireless PCI cars in my computer, neither of which worked properly and I have never had much luck using wireless PCI cards in this machine.

The real problem is one of a stubborn flatmate. He uses wireless to connect to the router and last night I connected the router to the phone line in my room. My wireless card wouldn’t work still, but I patched in with CAT5 cable and of course it connected just fine – But my flatmate claimed that “the internet didn’t work as good” when the router was in my room. Basically, he just doesn’t want the router in my room because then it would seem like I had “Control” of it. (sigh) Even though it is closer to his computer in my room. He just made some shit up about it not working as good when it’s in my room.

Annoying flatmate aside, I’m a bit of a loss of what to do – I need this fucking computer online and it is driving me crazy that I can’t seem to get a setup that works. Has anyone else had problems with wireless PCI cards in the past? Does anybody use wireless USB dongles? Are they any good? I am wary of them because I just assume that being USB they wouldn’t be very reliable….

… Any ideas on what else I can do? … Fairly cheaply, preferably. My only idea at the moment is to get a long RJ11 cable and plug it into my phone line in my room, and run it to the router that will be outside in the hallway (in a “neutral” place) but still close enough for me to be able to CAT5 into it. But this way I have to run an RJ11 cable, CAT5 and a power cable under my door… ugh.

I am almost at a loss with this one.

Automasig.jpg
Bacon-BuTTy on

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    My wife's mum has had to make do with a USB wireless dongle blu-tac'd to the wall to try and get signal in their designated computer room from the router in the kitchen. Aside from it occasionally overheating and general USB problems (randomly losing connection / Windows not seeing it anymore) it's been fine for the past few years.

Another solution is PowerLine stuff which my parents use. They have the router on the ground floor at one end, and then on the upper floor at the other end is the room where they have both their computers, but also has the chimney going through it which blocks all wireless signals. Even in their house with wiring from the early 70s for the most part it's good enough for ~150Mbs throughput.

That way the annoying flatmate can have the router with a PowerLine adapter plugged in next to it, and then you have a PowerLine adapter in your room connected to your PC. With no cables running under doors.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    His internet doesn't work good? Yours doesn't work at all. When he's sleeping, go into his room, step on his neck, and tell him, that you're taking the router.

You don't even need to buy anything!

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How about getting another wireless router for your room that acts as a wireless bridge? Could probably pick up an older WRT54G and throw Tomato or DD-WRT on there, then just plug into one of the jacks. This is what I use to get wireless for multiple machines into a second bedroom in our apartment - easier than having a wireless card in every machine.

Dedian on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    His internet doesn't work good? Yours doesn't work at all. When he's sleeping, go into his room, step on his neck, and tell him, that you're taking the router.

You don't even need to buy anything!

I know. Honestly, this could have easily been a "Shitty Flatmate" thread. I had to hold back a lot when writing this post. The word "selfish" doesn't even cut it.

Thanks for the advice though all, I have been especially interested in that Ethernet over mains stuff and I was thinking of trying it out, but when I got to the shop I decided to give a USB adaptor a shot. And it appears to be working pretty nicely. Nice solid connection, high speed. It was a little expensive, but fuck it, right?

I need good internets.

As for this thread ... uh... shitty flatmates with technology stories?

One time my flatmate didn't want to let me borrow his Monitor to check if mine was causing a problem or not "In case of viruses!"

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like you're living with a classy guy.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png