As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guns] FIRE EVERYTHING!

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Took my new XD Mod.2 Subcompact 9mm to the range after work today and I am in love. Such a great shooting gun. Doubletaps in the 10 and 9 ring, small groups with both eyes open and rapid shooting. Love love love it.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    darkgrue wrote: »
    Shotguns: I know, love, and have lots of experience with the good old 870, but have not really messed around with anything else other than a few double barrels. . If I was thinking about a gun to have in the house and maybe shoot some skeet, what are some good options?

The Remington 870 is a great home defense gun, the other common choice being the Mossberg 500. An 18" pump is pretty much everything you want in a HD shotgun.

However, you're going to find that there is really no such thing as a all-around shotgun. I've played skeet (and broken plenty of birds) with my Mossberg 500, but a 18" barrel with an open choke is not ideal for skeet, and it's frustrating at trap. I've also played skeet with an Akdal 1919 (which is fun as hell for shooting at chips, but I don't recommend attempting this at a public range, it's a good way to get thrown out), and a Circuit Judge. But, right tool for the job, and all that...
    It's not my area of expertise, but I absorbed a lot of info from someone that freely tutored folks at a nearby clay range. A pump action works for trap and if you're really, really good with one can be used for the others but most will find it more practical to go for a semi-auto or double barreled shotgun. Beretta makes good options in both those categories. Browning also makes good semi-automatics I believe.

The choice between pump, semi-auto, and double-barrel, is largely preference. You can shoot doubles with any one of them. There is a pragmatic concern: the "genteel" double-barrel option has a significant advantage in one important respect - you're not chasing hulls. After a round, most ranges require you to retrieve your hulls. Double-barrel shooters just pocket them while everyone else does a lot of walking the field after the round is over.

There are also stock, rib, choke, and barrel length variations between different games, but at least some of the difference are largely stylistic. A single shotgun can be used for skeet, trap, and sporting clays, but I'd recommend not trying it without having a set of appropriate chokes to choose from.

Skeet can be played in any gauge. I started in 12, and now shoot .410 (which I reload to keep costs down). 12- and 20-gauge birdshot is pretty readily available at WalMart, anything else you'll probably want to consider shopping around, and picking up the necessary gear and skill to reload shotshells. Shooting smaller gauge reduces recoil and is more comfortable, but the difficulty ramps up.

There are a lot of good shotgun choices out there for the various clay sports, Steel mentions two of the better brands. I'm partial to Browning, especially for over-unders. But you can certainly spend more (or less). More expensive guns don't necessarily shoot better - but they will probably be gorgeous. Engraving and wood selection varies across models and grades. Keep in mind if you're committed to buying new that you'll want to look at the clay lines. Lightweight hunting guns aren't necessarily ideal - the weight of the gun helps even out your swing, and reduces felt recoil. Also, inexpensive hunting guns aren't always good choices either. Clay sports will put more rounds down the pipe than a hunter will ever see in their lifetimes - there's a certain minimum durability you're looking for.

Consider checking out your local clubs and buying used. See if you can get the assistance of someone knowledgeable who can point you to a good deal in terms of price, fit, and suitability to purpose.

Pshaw, just buy a Beretta DT11. They're affordable, right?

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Dang, some of those high end, hand-made Italian shotguns in the hunting catalogs. $5,000 for a shotgun, are you kidding me ??

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Dang, some of those high end, hand-made Italian shotguns in the hunting catalogs. $5,000 for a shotgun, are you kidding me ??

That's barely scratching the surface. Look at Purdey, or Holland & Holland. $200k+

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Quail and pheasant hunting are traditional rich gentlemen past times so a certain level of ostentatiousness in shotgun helps accessorize the monocle and fancy hat.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The best part is both places encourage you to buy matching pairs, since who would shoot pheasant without a gun for their second to be reloading.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Plus a set of native bearers to carry the cognac and cucumber sandwiches.

It's strongly associated with the English and Scottish countryside so the native bearers might look a bit different than what one might expect.

Plus it wouldn't be appropriately ostentatious if you didn't dress up the servants too.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19OXfZYRAeA

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19OXfZYRAeA

The eternal question-- should I buy a house or a shotgun ?

• Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular

That's barely scratching the surface. Look at Purdey, or Holland & Holland. $200k+

Yup, as I mentioned, there's pretty much a shotgun at every price range. Start at hundreds, and add zeros... Krieghoff is a nice choice at the tens of thousands range... Then you get into other factors like presentation guns, limited runs, sets with sequential serial numbers...

The engraving, wood, finish, and fit and finish of the parts is amazing. But it won't make it any easier to get that 25-straight at skeet!

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    ilgDarR.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    darkgrue wrote: »

Yup, as I mentioned, there's pretty much a shotgun at every price range. Start at hundreds, and add zeros... Krieghoff is a nice choice at the tens of thousands range... Then you get into other factors like presentation guns, limited runs, sets with sequential serial numbers...

The engraving, wood, finish, and fit and finish of the parts is amazing. But it won't make it any easier to get that 25-straight at skeet!

Yup...bought a Mossy over under for trap and skeet and have an old Rem pump action that I added aftermarket stocks and pistol grip to for home defense. You can spend a lot for sure...but I am not convinced that your get more for your dollar save for looks unless you are into serious competition rifles.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I'm trying to decide on my first gun purchase. Either a .22LR or a simple shotgun. I feel like I should go with the shotgun since quail and grouse are REALLY plentiful in my area (like, 24k harvested this year, 10 times the county next door) and small game hunting is kind of my goal. But I spent the morning plinking with a buddy's .22 and that's just good fun. Now I'm looking at Marlin and Savage .22s and thinking that might be what I end up doing but I can't decide which.

• Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide on my first gun purchase. Either a .22LR or a simple shotgun. I feel like I should go with the shotgun since quail and grouse are REALLY plentiful in my area (like, 24k harvested this year, 10 times the county next door) and small game hunting is kind of my goal. But I spent the morning plinking with a buddy's .22 and that's just good fun. Now I'm looking at Marlin and Savage .22s and thinking that might be what I end up doing but I can't decide which.

Shotguns are their own thing and birding shotguns especially are a deep rabbit hole. Places to practice shotgunning are less common though. Many indoor ranges don't have lead traps that work with shot. So having a place to practice is something to look into for the shotgun route.

.22 rifles are a safe route given that there lots of good ones and ammo is cheaper than most other options. I lean more towards those for a first purchase since it's easier to find a place to use one to practice with.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    22LR is always a good starting point

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I mean a Ruger 22LR is like THE starting rifle if your getting into shooting.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Is it still a pain in the ass finding cheap .22 ammo in stores, or has that gotten better?

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Is it still a pain in the ass finding cheap .22 ammo in stores, or has that gotten better?

I'm seeing it at Bass Pro and Walmart for about 9c/round. That's in boxes of 50, you might still find crates of 500/1000 rounds for much cheaper than that.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I know for Obama's entire first term, ammo was super hard to come by because the NRA kept sending out scary press releases saying he was going to ban ammo and take everyone's guns so then people rushed out and stockpiled everything they could find and then just when the shelves got stocked again those fuckers would send out another scary letter.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I know for Obama's entire first term, ammo was super hard to come by because the NRA kept sending out scary press releases saying he was going to ban ammo and take everyone's guns so then people rushed out and stockpiled everything they could find and then just when the shelves got stocked again those fuckers would send out another scary letter.

What's that you say? The NRA keeps scaremongering buying crazes amongst gun owners on behalf of the gun and ammo manufacturers? Gun and ammo makers are making huge profits, some of the healthiest ever?

colour me surprised...

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    There were people here buying up ammo, sealing boxes in food saver bags, and burying them in yards and stream beds. And that's in a very left leaning state with no gun laws on the books.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    So after much experimenting with shooting rifles left handed (right handed but left eye dominant joy of joys...) I purchased another AR, but not a lefty model because I am not willing to pay a $400 premium when I can just buy ambi controls. I picked up a super basic, bare bones, Core15 Scout M4. So now I can start the Barbie'ing of it. :hydra:

I already ordered some PMags, Troy ambi bolt release, BCM ambi charging handle, Hogue grip, Troy Di-Optic fixed rear sight, XS 24/7 Tritium front sight, light mount that goes where the bayonet lug is, Surefire G2X Tactical, a rubber buttpad, and a 2 point sling.

My goal is to keep it light, simple, and effective, and without an optic because I have astigmatism and all red dots look like smears or starbursts to me. :(

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    So after much experimenting with shooting rifles left handed (right handed but left eye dominant joy of joys...) I purchased another AR, but not a lefty model because I am not willing to pay a $400 premium when I can just buy ambi controls. I picked up a super basic, bare bones, Core15 Scout M4. So now I can start the Barbie'ing of it. :hydra:

I already ordered some PMags, Troy ambi bolt release, BCM ambi charging handle, Hogue grip, Troy Di-Optic fixed rear sight, XS 24/7 Tritium front sight, light mount that goes where the bayonet lug is, Surefire G2X Tactical, a rubber buttpad, and a 2 point sling.

My goal is to keep it light, simple, and effective, and without an optic because I have astigmatism and all red dots look like smears or starbursts to me. :(

I have astigmatism as well. Is yours so bad that turning the brightness to the minimum visible level (for ambient lighting) doesn't work?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »

I have astigmatism as well. Is yours so bad that turning the brightness to the minimum visible level (for ambient lighting) doesn't work?

Yep! I looked thru a Vrotex optic today at the store and I could see like 14 separate small dots in sort of a smear instead of just one dot. :(

Steam
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular

Yep! I looked thru a Vrotex optic today at the store and I could see like 14 separate small dots in sort of a smear instead of just one dot. :(

Prismatic scope time! Vortex 1x Prism

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    There were people here buying up ammo, sealing boxes in food saver bags, and burying them in yards and stream beds. And that's in a very left leaning state with no gun laws on the books.

What.

Have any of them had the decency to reconsider, dig up some of that ammo and start using it, or is there going to be a really bizarre crises in a few years time with fucking bullets popping up all of the place

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

What.

Have any of them had the decency to reconsider, dig up some of that ammo and start using it, or is there going to be a really bizarre crises in a few years time with fucking bullets popping up all of the place

Bullets planted in the ground grow into ammo trees and sprout more ammo! You heard it from The Black Hunter first folks!

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah I saw Mad Max, I think I know a thing or two about bullet farming

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Went shooting on the 12th.The ground was littered with shot up Qurans and the other guys were making constant jokes about 'illegals' and Obama.

I like shooting. I do not like the other people who like shooting. Also, shot a 30-.06 for the first time and holy shit, I thought it was going to take my arm off at the shoulder.

• Options
    Also, shot a 30-.06 for the first time and holy shit, I thought it was going to take my arm off at the shoulder.

I regret not getting my hands on an M1 Garand back when the Civilian Marksmanship Program still had a lot of great ones available.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Went shooting on the 12th.The ground was littered with shot up Qurans and the other guys were making constant jokes about 'illegals' and Obama.

I like shooting. I do not like the other people who like shooting. Also, shot a 30-.06 for the first time and holy shit, I thought it was going to take my arm off at the shoulder.

I am hella gay, among other things, so going to gun stores and ranges is always a thing where I have to kind of just ignore everyone.

Also yeah, 30-06 is relatively strong. I remember sighting in my brother's Mosin, which uses a roughly equivalent cartridge. But has a metal buttplate. And sighting in takes forever because you literally have to hammer the sight left or right, so precision is hard to get.

It was... not fun.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

I am hella gay, among other things, so going to gun stores and ranges is always a thing where I have to kind of just ignore everyone.

Also yeah, 30-06 is relatively strong. I remember sighting in my brother's Mosin, which uses a roughly equivalent cartridge. But has a metal buttplate. And sighting in takes forever because you literally have to hammer the sight left or right, so precision is hard to get.

It was... not fun.

Mosins were often historically used while wearing thick winter coats. They get rather uncomfortable by all accounts when firing them in more standard clothing. Recoil pads are recommended when firing one.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    [Paragon] wrote: »

I was actually looking at that on Amazon. I would like to check one out in person before I plunk the $265 down for one though.

Steam
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    [Paragon] wrote: »

I was actually looking at that on Amazon. I would like to check one out in person before I plunk the $265 down for one though.

Big box stores like Academy, Gander Mountain, Cabelas etc usually have them in their display cases as Vortex is pretty much everywhere these days. Do yourself a favor and do some browsing, Burris makes a prismatic 1x (both companies make prism scopes with higher magnification as well) and Primary Arms makes some pretty good ones as well, but at 2.5x, 4x and 5x.

• Options

It was... not fun.

I'm not a fan of the metal butt plate on my mosin, a slip on limb saver is a decent investment. They also make a rubber butt pad that screws on. Just remove the metal plate, screw this one on and voila. Amazon has them in various flavors.

Yeah, the problem with shooting is generally the people who do the shooting, I'm preeeety far to the left on just about everything except the 2A and for a long time I just learned to ignore everybody. Then I started trolling. I have some custom hard cases for various guns and hard sided ammo cans. That's usually where I put the 12 hojillion stickers gun part companies like to send with their stuff. So I started mixing in my evolve fish stickers, and now I've added some Bernie Sanders 2016 stuff. It's drawn some glares, and people are always trying to argue with me about stuff. I just turn my electronic muffs off and keep shooting, because honestly most people aren't going to press you when you're toting around an arsenal. Also people tend to get really really pissed off when you don't engage, which is often it's own reward. Obviously I'm not recommending this, because all it takes is one whack job and everybody is going to have a bad day.

Obviously political and religious views that differ from theirs are a much lesser issue than their feelings on and persecution of the LGBT community, and my comments are in no way intended to say the two are on the same level merely intended to show that to some small extent there are those of us who in a small way share some of that frustration.

Annnnd back to guns now -

I feel like I need a CZ-97b, anybody have one? I've also been eyeballing the SAR K2 (which is the love child of a 97B and a SIG, chambered in .45 with a 14+1 capacity). The K2 is cheaper, and the quality is supposed to be high but I'm worried about mags and holster availability though. Same question about the K2 does anybody have one, or shot one? I know folks with the 97B and I already have several CZs so I know what I'm getting into if I go that route.

But man, 14+1 .45 just seems like a good idea. (No I don't want the FN FX45, I'm on a steel gun kick lately).

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015

It was... not fun.

It was... not fun.

Mosins were often historically used while wearing thick winter coats. They get rather uncomfortable by all accounts when firing them in more standard clothing. Recoil pads are recommended when firing one.

I love shooting .30-06 rifles and my Mosin. But I'm a big guy so I don't have an issue shooting 7.62x54r, .30-06, .308 (love shooting my PTR, if only it were cheaper),and 12ga all day.

I actually would love a PTR (I like HK rifles) chambered in something like .30-06, but I don't have near the extra cash it would take to custom build one (Custom bolt, barrel, custom magazines etc.).

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Old wood and steel guns are sexy. Just looking at and holding my M1 puts a smile on my face. It makes one of the best sounds of metal on metal when you chamber a round or eject the clip.

• Options
    PING

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »

It was... not fun.

It was... not fun.

I love shooting .30-06 rifles and my Mosin. But I'm a big guy so I don't have an issue shooting 7.62x54r, .30-06, .308 (love shooting my PTR, if only it were cheaper),and 12ga all day.

I actually would love a PTR (I like HK rifles) chambered in something like .30-06, but I don't have near the extra cash it would take to custom build one (Custom bolt, barrel, custom magazines etc.).

I've been wanting a PTR for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger on buying one. There's not a huge difference in .308 and 3006 though, not sure if it would be worth it.

A word about m1 garands, the newer 3006 ammo is very hot compared to WW2 era stuff, and some of the surplus guns aren't in the best condition. My father had an issue with that where he ended up having to replace an operating rod. So might be worth having someone who knows what they are doing check the gun and make sure everything is up to snuff before running hunting rounds in it.

This discussion has been closed.