As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk ballin' last gen JRPGS

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wasn't very impressed by Valkyria Chronicles' demo. Demon's Souls, now that lived up to the hype.

Disgaea 3 was the first RPG I bought. That wasn't a bright choice. It's just D2 with less features and slightly better graphics.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I wasn't very impressed by Valkyria Chronicles' demo. Demon's Souls, now that lived up to the hype.

Disgaea 3 was the first RPG I bought. That wasn't a bright choice. It's just D2 with less features and slightly better graphics.

Valkyria Chronicles grows on you, the more you play the more tactics you unlock (mosty by having better units and a better understanding of the environment.).

Disgaea 3 had a decent amount of options, but it was all burried in the classroom gimmicks you could play. Well, that and the expanded item/stat world ticks. But most of that was later/post game. Still, funny plot to it though.

But Demons Souls...ya. From Software when they do RPGs does a really good job.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Post-merger SE made TWEWY, they're OK in my book.

As for last gen, the Fire Emblem games were awesome JRPGs. Cube or GBA, they just crawled into my brain and wouldn't let go until I finished them.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I had a pile of fun with fire emblem on the GBA

wish i still had a game boy

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I never did finish that GBA mario RPG.

It was awesome, but I got lost in the last area.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Uriel wrote: »
    I never did finish that GBA mario RPG.

It was awesome, but I got lost in the last area.

Superstar Saga?

I never finished it either, but it was because of school. That's a hella fun game though.

Tam on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the gameplay and art direction in the DS mario RPGs are saccharine sweet but I always put them down after a few hours for lack of interest in the story

Squall on
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I played like three missions into Valkyria Chronicles (Yeah I know, PStriple)

But then my friend started playing it and quickly got ahead of me and I lost interest.

Well, anime WW2 is kind of odd anyway.

I wish I could find my GBA and get a copy of the remake of FF1.

The action picks up about 4 or 5 missions in, but the writing gets friggin' terrible.

Then again BioWare has spoiled me silly.

Still though, Darcsens. What. The. Fuck.

Jacques L'Homme on
  • Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Josiah_9 wrote: »
    I played like three missions into Valkyria Chronicles (Yeah I know, PStriple)

But then my friend started playing it and quickly got ahead of me and I lost interest.

Well, anime WW2 is kind of odd anyway.

I wish I could find my GBA and get a copy of the remake of FF1.

It is one of the few games that make me really wish I had a PS3.

I still think it's probably the best game on the PS3.

AkimboLegs on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That reminds me, where are the new Fire Emblems? :(

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I already asked that.

The DS one is a remake unfortunately.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I already asked that.

The DS one is a remake unfortunately.

It was a rhetorical question. A rhetorical question full of sorrow and disappointment.

Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance remain my favorites, in that order. Despite Micaiah.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Micaiah was awesome. One woman army.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I dunno she felt kinda fan fic-y.

Also her Dawn Brigade is unbelievably terrible. 90% of the challenge in that game was dealing with how much the Dawn Brigade sucks.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    edit: damnit wrong thread.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I dunno she felt kinda fan fic-y.

Also her Dawn Brigade is unbelievably terrible. 90% of the challenge in that game was dealing with how much the Dawn Brigade sucks.

Before playing PoR (but after RD), I saw a post on the serenesforest forum comparing difficulty of FE games and it listed the Prologue of RD as harder than any fight in PoR.

Having played both on hard now, I'd have to agree. I probably had more gameovers in the first couple missions of RD (even on normal) than the entire PoR storyline. Obviously trying to be as streamline as possible for the BEXP, so I guess if I was more careful it might've been less skewed, but in fairness, you barely have to try on PoR to get max BEXP.

AkimboLegs on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was always a little confused on how BEXP was gained. Did they ever fully explain it in the game?

Javen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hmm.

I think they gave hints, but no, I don't think they ever explicitly say it.

The general gist was: finishing a map in under X turns(usually 6-10), gets you Max. For every turn thereafter you lost some fraction of X (in PoR it was 1/10th, in RD it was a lot more than 1/10th, usually 1/2 to 1/3, but varied from map to map).

Most maps in RD had a bonus for finishing, only some in PoR did (I think).

And then this was where the hints were usually present. Some maps had bonuses ("rescue villagers" or "dont let the houses burn") that would give you a bonus if you succeeded.

I know if you beat the game, you were able to turn on an option that showed you where you were getting the BEXP from after you beat a level, but it didn't really tell you the criteria before the fight.

AkimboLegs on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    PoR had a more cohesive plot. RD was all over the place. Though I did like the post-war politics stuff in Elincia's campaign.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Did anyone play Resonance of Fate? I'm tempted by it all of the time but I just haven't heard enough opinion.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did anyone play Resonance of Fate? I'm tempted by it all of the time but I just haven't heard enough opinion.

Yeah, it's pretty good.

There are certain scenes that are anime as a motherfucker but the fighting is fun.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010

it's a solid, innovative game with likable characters, great voice acting, and an above-average script

its two big caveats are that its learning curve is more like a direct vertical line, to the point where you can enter a hopelessly confusing battle before you even get to the game's tutorial, and the central plot is extremely threadbare

your characters pretty much just spend the game doing odd jobs and getting by while other people do Ominous Important Things in the background, and while the game's setting is really original and complex, you won't know shit about it unless you take the time to chat with NPC's in every chapter

also Leanne (the lady in your main party) is probably one of the best-written female JRPG characters ever in that she stays competent and likable without turning into a weepy love interest or a masculine faux-badass

overall, it and Nier pretty much pulled me back from giving up JRPG's entirely

Rust on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    maguffinmaguffin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Resonance of fate is sweet as, but if you aren't careful even a normal battle can turn on you and bring up game over in seconds, the first boss is a real kick in the face.

Grinding is pretty easy with the whole hex/terminal structure and by about chapter 5 (4/5 hours in) you can be setting it up for late game destruction.

The main bit that's really enjoyable is when you nail a tri-manoeuvre and you just keep watching the combo meter go up past the 5/600 hundred range.

maguffin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    They are having a giant sale over at Gohastings.com but the site is getting hammered. I want my Oblivion: GOTY edition for $8!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nier's bosses are just plain wild. Best part of the game by far.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They are having a giant sale over at Gohastings.com but the site is getting hammered. I want my Oblivion: GOTY edition for $8!

whattttttt

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Whoever designed these bosses was playing one too many bullet hell shooters.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmmm, may have to pick up Resonance of Fate one of these days.

Have we talked about Tales of Symphonia, yet?

Cause I have a major soft spot for that game.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've only got the sequel Dawn of the New World. I haven't played it yet since I'm hoping to beat Tales of Eternia after beating Star Ocean Second Evolution.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dawn is supposed to be mediocre, fair warning.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    You can probably do it in 5 hours total if you're efficient.

why, that's barely any time at all

In JRPG time? It really isn't a drop in the bucket

Especially if you just play Blitzball every once in a while, when you're tired of the main game and just want a little distraction from killing monsters

If you don't do it all at once, it's barely a minor annoyance compared to Kimahri's celestial quest

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh my god, Josh

Don't even fucking MENTION that fucking quest

the butterflies

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Being colorblind, I ran around for an hour trying to figure out which butterflies were red and which were blue before I said "FUCK THIS SHIT" and got a map online

Even then it was horseshit

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wow, Nocturne is not short in actual time spent played but there isn't a significant amount of places to go

I've gone to like 4 areas in 20 hours and I'm almost halfway

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, there are not many dungeons in the grand scheme of things, but they're all long undertakings.

And always visually impressive. Expect to spend most of your hours in the Amala Labyrinth.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Oh my god, Josh

the butterflies

I thought it was easy...

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, there are not many dungeons in the grand scheme of things, but they're all long undertakings.

And always visually impressive. Expect to spend most of your hours in the Amala Labyrinth.

it's not bad but I'm pretty sure there are better SMT games. I want to give Persona and DDS a shot at some point.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

it's not bad but I'm pretty sure there are better SMT games. I want to give Persona and DDS a shot at some point.

It's the best one, IMO. DDS is a close second.

Nocturne has a style that hasn't yet been matched.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Oh my god, Josh

the butterflies

I thought it was easy...

Well, you were wrong :P

Seriously though, fuck that quest.