As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk ballin' last gen JRPGS

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    are you kidding i hate you
    man i cant believe i gave my ps2 and all my games away
    so long, katamari, ff12, ff9, legend of dragoon, ff7, ffx, smt:nocturne, okami, xenogears, god of war, zone of the enders 2, odin sphere, mgs3 :(

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    why would you even do a thing

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah that's kinda dumb

especially since PS3's ain't PS2 compatible anymo

Javen on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    because i got my 360 and i dont even have any GAMES for my 360!

fuuuuck
    well i know the guy i gave it to doesn't use it maybe i can get it back

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I keep all my consoles. NES on up.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I started trading in consoles when I could play their games on later consoles.

Backwards compatibility might be the greatest innovation in video game, or even technology history

Javen on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Saturn and Sega CD still haven't been added to anything, and probably never will be.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bought Suikoden, Alundra and Abe's Odyssey on PSN. I think I might play Alundra first, since I'm actually not sure I even beat it. I remember coming VERY close, however

Javen on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Once again they really need Suikoden 2 on PSN

But even without it Suikoden 1 is still one of my favorite RPGs

And I guess they are only tangentially tied together anyway, but much like going from Mass Effect 1 to 2 it's worth playing them back to back if you are going to play the second one

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I actually thought about trading in all my PS2 games to Gamestop.

Thank fucking god I didn't.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Demon's Souls

It's brutally unforgiving, loves killing me at the end of a stage (then killing me near that point on the next run so I really HAVE lost everything), and is filled chock full of fuck you sneak attacks (causing aforementioned corpse runs)

so why the hell can't I stop playing it

Ledneh on
  • Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    I disliked Xenogears because of the entire second disc and also it throws you into the final battle with like zero warning and there's no way to go back and level up or anything

what?

second disc not for everyone, sure, but there's no point in the game where you can't go back and level up, except after you engage his guardians

AkimboLegs on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Demon's Souls

It's brutally unforgiving, loves killing me at the end of a stage (then killing me near that point on the next run so I really HAVE lost everything), and is filled chock full of fuck you sneak attacks (causing aforementioned corpse runs)

so why the hell can't I stop playing it

Welcome.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I actually found Demon's Souls most enjoyable when it was frustrating. As soon as I discovered the Winged Spear, it become a lot less so.

Still lots of fun, though.

AkimboLegs on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The most fun I've had in multiplayer was leading three jumpers on a wild goose chase through 4-1. Half the fun is the multi.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Chrono CatfishChrono Catfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Demon's souls as awesome as it is can eat me. Kind of sad my Demon babe is pretty much out of the level criteria for Blue/blacking. (349 Yay for stealth soulsucking Bp black skele's)

But it is great like "Oh god i made it yes!" Then i get one shot by spikes shot from the sky by ridiculously hard to hit manta rays from hell. And it is awesome

And Suikoden 2...
    Luca Blight's death speech was so epic in my eyes.

Chrono Catfish on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I need to play more Demon's Souls

I only beat a few bosses. Last one was Mr Leech Dude

Also I never did any multi with it because when I got it there was an All White event going on, and there were a number of items that required all white to get and if you connect to the network it will slowly change them, so I disabled the internet for that game until I could get all those items

Because I am like that with RPGs

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Once again they really need Suikoden 2 on PSN

But even without it Suikoden 1 is still one of my favorite RPGs

And I guess they are only tangentially tied together anyway, but much like going from Mass Effect 1 to 2 it's worth playing them back to back if you are going to play the second one

The first three fit together pretty well, I found. And they do kind of compliment each other in that if you're familiar with the series, you get that little hint of the other titles, just enough to give you the slightest feeling of nostalgia

Javen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I also love that they could give individual personalities to so many of the 108 characters

Javen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Speaking of winged spears I just got me one of those

Spears are kinda nice!!

(oh god i still have no goddamn idea what i'm doing)

(edit) What kind of numeric effect does twohanding a weapon have on my damage? Or does it just make stat requirements easier to meet?

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If you haven't played Demon's Souls multi, you haven't really played it yet. That's where all the fun is.

Also, I don't plan on leveling past 120, because that's when multi drops off.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Edit: Suikoden

True that

This reminds me that I need to play 3. Loved the first 2 but haven't played any past that.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What is the purpose of being a blue phantom supposed to be, if you don't get any items or whatever

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »
    What is the purpose of being a blue phantom supposed to be, if you don't get any items or whatever

You can earn a lot of souls. Also, fun.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Your soul gain for being a Blue can be gouged badly if the host wants to be a jerk (Host can rank you a D and that effects your soul gain but not his. So pretty much he can rate you lowest and cut your soul gain just to be a dick)

Spawning blue people is also a good way to cheese a lot of the fights.

Chrono Catfish on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also if you are a bp in a game and kill a black phantom You get a minor white character tendency increse. Same with being a bp and helping to kill a boss. The only downside is that the boss kills count for very little soul tendency points but a lot of souls

Yes I know the wiki says otherwise.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've seen two black phantom simultaneous invasions three times now. It's always hilarious.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    okay the 4-1 skeletons, even when I have a club?

assholes

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also, the 3-1 cthulhuian horrors?

assholes

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    aaaaaaand I just lost 10,000 souls

two assholes

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    1282089933532.png

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anti-magic shell Miracle makes 3-1 a joke the Illithid things will wiggle their little bell in a vain as you hit them in the face with your weapon of choice..
    They will still rape you in the face from across the room with soul arrow though.

Chrono Catfish on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ARROW TRAPS?

ASSHOLES

THIS GAME IS NOTHING MORE THAN A COMPENDIUM OF THINGS WHICH SPEW FORTH POOP AND FARTS

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I remember spending much of the game inching forward slowly with my shield up at all times

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Goddamn if these 4-1 skeletons don't drop souls like mad, though

Farm these fuckers and get me Evacuate, I think, that'll help matters

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh now I remember the 4-1 skeletons

Yeah that's when I learned how important it was to be able to dodge attacks rather than just block them

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm still trying to decide what character I want to be and what stats to level, really. Miracles all up ins, bigass weapon, wizard? I dunno

Though yeah, I'm normally not one for heavy armor at all in most games and that seems to go double for this fucker

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Magic takes the fangs out of PvE, especially the skeletons. Your best bet is to block and let them recoil, then wail on them.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Even as a Spellcast i find it best to pump Faith enough for that 2nd miracle slot and the ability to use a Beast talisman. Second chance is the god of all miracles and has prevented many a "FFFFFF" Moments

Chrono Catfish on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    When I was still playing my dude was a Faith-using Spear guy

It was pretty fun

He was basically a paladin

Nocturne on