As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's talk ballin' last gen JRPGS

• BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The second Shadow Hearts game is pretty fun as well.

The first one is less amazing as it takes itself quite seriously.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    He wasnt prepared for your second keyblade

mensch-o-matic on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I only played shadow hearts covenant. people said the new world was not as good.

the voices really stood out as being almost disgaea level good. FFX had some downright awful voicing in a lot of parts.

Jars on
  • CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Don't get Chrono Cross. It's convoluted and boring.

what'd you say motherfucker

CHRONO CROSS IS A BIG FAT LET DOWN

except the music.

As a whole, I got more from Chrono Cross than I did from Chrono Trigger.

I really should finish up Shadow Hearts one of these days. I'm at the last dungeon but need to grind a bit. Already have the whole trilogy waiting to be played.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    I only played shadow hearts covenant. people said the new world was not as good.

here is your party

you are a teenage detective in hells kitchen new york who makes a lightsaber out of pure anger
    a Brazilian ninja that wields great"swords" including a sign post, sword fish and fireworks, also he speaks with a french accent
    a drunken fist master giant anthropomorphic cat who trains young al capone and said ninja
    a native american woman who strips to turn into elemental spirits
    her very large native american guardian who knows gun fu and captures cryptids to gain new powers
    a space vampire girl who transforms between a fat pink girl, a pink bat and a sexy goth lolita
    a mariachi who's guitar is actually a gun and rocket launcher

PiptheFair on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FTNW has great gameplay and music, but 1 & 2 have the best story.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    6974.jpg
    Worth every cent of the $100 or so it will set you back by.

Would it be in poor form to say it cost me $12?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Candlemass wrote: »

THAT'S NOT TRUE... THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I did notice that she likes to get pretty naked in the fusion cutscenes I saw.

Jars on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Polecat wrote: »
    My problem with XII:

"Oh shit this game is fucking awesome time to go level... Oh God I love the grind its so awesome, lets go kill some marks... damn couldn't kill that one time to grind more... Oh God this is so fun... maybe I should go do some story, Oh shit where am I supposed to go? Oh shit what's the plot? I don't understand what's going on, time to go level and kill more marks...."

generally I loved the gameplay and couldn't stand/had no drive to finish the plot

Haha, this was my experience with FFXII exactly. I stalled out about 2/3 of the way through the game because I found myself completely disinterested in the story!

Grinding and taking down abnormally difficult monsters was really fun, though. If only they could have made some characters that I gave a shit about...

Vargas Prime on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really hated what they did with the fake Roger Bacon (I can't remember his real name) in Covenant
    Oh all the bad shit he did in the first game like burning Shanghai to cinders was ok because he had to stop Rasputin

Get fucked
    The endings of Covenant are total bummers though because no matter what you do
    Yuri is effectively dead

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Aphostile wrote: »

I am going to buy this game and re-play it. Maybe I'll even make a cute little fucking Let's Play out of it.

deadlyrhetoric on
    edited October 2010
    That seems to be an increasingly common thing with JRPGs

You'll have a primary antagonist for most of the game, but they're not the one that's intent on destroying the world/the final boss, and that's the person you don't meet until you show up on their doorstep

Like FFXIII, what the fuck huge boss out of nowhere that you have specifically been talking about not fighting for the whole game

This is exactly what happened with Persona 4 and it really annoyed me

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aphostile wrote: »

While the gameplay may not have been much to talk about, at least it was easy and transparent in the overall experience. Although I enjoyed CT a lot, I never held it up to such a high status that CC couldn't meet expectations. Simply, I just really liked what CC did with Lynx.

I guess gba is also last gen, so I have to mention Mother 3. That game is so good. I was shocked to find such a sad moment in a Nintendo game. It happened so early too.

Also, Persona 4 was a lot of fun. Mainly for the non-rpg aspects. Once I got to a dungeon where I had to grind too much to keep going I just lost interest in continuing.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

You'll have a primary antagonist for most of the game, but they're not the one that's intent on destroying the world/the final boss, and that's the person you don't meet until you show up on their doorstep

Like FFXIII, what the fuck huge boss out of nowhere that you have specifically been talking about not fighting for the whole game

only if you got the real ending

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited October 2010
    The real ending is the only satisfying one in that game

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Persona 3 Persona 3 Persona 3 Persona 3

Everyone play Persona 3. It is so good.

70+ fucking hours it took me, but seeing the story unfold was so worth it. I'll probably go back and replay it again some day, maybe go for an all-S. Link run, just to flesh out the compendium.

Persona 4 needs a PSP version, so I can play it, too. I have a PS2, but it's in the livingroom because I don't have a TV in here.

George Fornby Grill on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man I wish i had the dollar dollar bills to go out and buy these right now

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Normally I don't like the anime art in JRPGs, but TWEWY's is so hyper-stylized it wraps around to awesome for me

And the fact that it has the most unique gameplay of literally any game I've played in the last 10 years or so doesn't hurt either

joshofalltrades on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    The RPG genre peaked last gen. There have been a couple good rpg's this generation but nothing great.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I bought a PS2 for like $50, which is cheaper then an eighth of pot, and I have never regretted it for a moment.

Plus rank sent me some awesome games

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Phonehand wrote: »

only if you got the real ending

Uh, but
    You do meet her in the very beginning. So it's not quite true!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2010
    i have disgaea 3 but i haven't picked it up yet. it is probably good.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Phonehand wrote: »
    i have disgaea 3 but i haven't picked it up yet. it is probably good.

's alright

and so ridiculous

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    It's not half as good as 1 or 2. It's decent. If you want a good PS3 JRPG, get Nier or Demon's Souls.

And they're not even that J.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2010
    also demons souls is great. like great great. does that count.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I've not had a chance to play Demon Souls. I need to find it on the cheap one of these days.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited October 2010
    It's $26.99 used, Raijin. Now is the time. Get it. Right now.

We'll wait. Any cheaper and it's going to vanish. It's the best $30 you will ever spend.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've not had a chance to play Demon Souls. I need to find it on the cheap one of these days.

Totally worth it, although it's more like a western RPG than a JRPG

Don't think that by looking up a walkthrough for the first level or so that you're cheating yourself of anything

joshofalltrades on
    edited October 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

We'll wait. Any cheaper and it's going to vanish. It's the best $30 you will ever spend.

I don't have an extra $30 right now.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited October 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I don't have an extra $30 right now.

You have a child or two, I'm sure there's some part-time jobs they can take on.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I actually just bought Wild Arms on PSN, which was one of my favorite RPGs

even though it's more like last LAST generation. Still totally awesome.

Javen on
    edited October 2010
    Valkyria Chronicles ruuuules rules

srpg where you go into first/third-person to actually aim and shoot? yes, please

but now we're getting off topic

I really wish they'd put FF6 on the wii shop or psn already

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    I tried Wild Arms once when I was much younger

It was pretty weird

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    I actually just bought Wild Arms on PSN, which was one of my favorite RPGs

even though it's more like last LAST generation. Still totally awesome.

Best thing about Wild Arms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWgPX9yTtQg

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited October 2010
    I liked how you could lay bombs/run and stuff out of combat in Wild Arms

A lot more interactive than most rpgs back then

If you ever find a place with a good echo, whistle the Wild Arms theme, it is great

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Final Fantasy 9 was the last and best JRPG.

There is only FF9

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited October 2010
    FFX was the first final fantasy game I played

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Maybe it's time I make a Goozex run. Every now and then I'll throw a few games on there and get some new stuff.

I could get rid of Star Ocean for PS3 for 1000 points and get Demon Souls for 750.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I tried Wild Arms once when I was much younger

It was pretty weird

It kind of evens out when the three character prologues get together. Then it pretty much plays out as a normal RPG with some unique battle mechanics

EDIT: It was also one of the few RPGs that had some legitimately difficult puzzles, at least, when I was in middle school and hadn't played the game four times already. And the optional bosses were actually difficult.

Javen on