As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ace Attorney: 20 Years of Finger Pointing

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    That sure is....spacebattles

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Man, Prof. Layton vs Phoenix Wright gets pretty fucking dark.
    People are getting burned to death left and right.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Dammit, NoA better announce a release date during E3. I can't even quote that without being spoiled.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Man, Prof. Layton vs Phoenix Wright gets pretty fucking dark.
    People are getting burned to death left and right.

Get a load of this guy, thinking Layton vs Ace Attorney was dark a week ago.
    Well, now Layton and Maya are dead. So that's cool.

I mean, it's obviously not permanent. They're somehow gonna de-goldify (?) Layton and..I dunno what they're gonna do about Maya, but still.

I have absolutely no idea how this game got a USK 6 rating here. It got PEGI 12 in the UK, but even that seems generous given how fucking grim this game is.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Wow, Case 2-4, you guys.

You guys, Case 2-4.
    I'm reminded why it's considered the best case of the entire series: Character development everywhere, a triumphant return of Edgeworth who while mostly redeemed shows that his new ethos still has edge to it, the kickass theme Edgeworth (and Franziska) gets, the genuinely funny bits like breaking Oldbag's tough Psychelock with a single photo, and the three absolute best parts:

-Breaking Engarde's Psychelock: A cool reveal, even though "the client is actually guilty" is an inevitable twist in stories structured this way. The dialogue is perfect, and the new "Core" music which is regrettably overused in Trials and Tribulations really establishes a sinister tone as this silly goose finally reveals how much of a sociopath he is.
    -Phoenix's agonising decision on day two: The judge has ruled he's out of time, and he has to choose: Truth or Friendship. The agony of the terrible price he would pay for sticking to his principles, even though the principle of faith in his client has already been shattered, and the feeling this could be it, right before Franziska bursts in with the crucial evidence.
    -Getting to choose whether Engarde is guilty: Mockingly sticking to "faith in the client" and pleading not guilty has a ton of Schadenfreude, but I feel that pleading guilty underlines the case's themes of uncovering the truth, so it's my canon.

Certainly washes out the taste of the Bigtop Case.

Oh, and the bad end would have been truly heart breaking if a certain typo hadn't happen.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I finished Layton vs Ace Attorney the other day.

Man, what a great game. Although it definitely feels more like a Layton game than an Ace Attorney one, the two distinct styles complemented each other quite nicely.
    A few minor nitpicks: the game is rather on the easy side, especially since you can use hint coins during the court room sections now, and Maya's voice actress wasn't all that great, but other than that, they did a fantastic job with this game. Also, the 3D effect is just about the best I've seen on the system.

The story and especially the ending / resolution do get a little far-fetched, as is often the case with the stories in Layton games, but I personally didn't have a problem with it. Well, actually I do have one:
    The villagers couldn't see all the machinery - alright, I get that. Nonetheless, they were still there, they were just invisible. So in the ~10 years the Labyrinthia project has been running, no one ever accidentally bumped into one of the cranes or something? This seems especially hard to believe with the bell tower, which is right in the middle of that plaza.

Anyway, I can wholeheartedly recommend this game to fans of either series. It's a shame that this will be the last Layton game though :(

Maz- on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    oh my god i just found a subbed copy of the Phoenix Wright movie.

This. Movie. Is. Amazing.

I nearly lost it when the girl throws the confetti at/on Butz.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I'm making some headway into case 3-5. How awesome is it?
    So awesome.

Playing as Edgeworth took me completely by surprise, and its pretty amazing how different all of the interactions feel.

My biggest disappointment is that the "Press" button on the iOS version still has a picture of Phoenix's face.

Then I get to play an AA game on a real platform after this! I'm curious to see how Apollo Justice is. I think it can't seem quite as bad as people say now that there's a fifth game that builds him up a bit more. I hear nothing in AA4 is as bad as case 2-3, so I think I'll have fun with it.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hate to break it to you, but there's a case in Apollo Justice that's worse than any case before or after.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    3-5 is the watermark for the entire franchise and was never really topped, though 4-4 made a go of it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I have heard that Apollo Justice is heavy on that awful thing where you're have to press a certain line, and then loop back and press a previous point again. That was the most infuriating thing the first couple of times I've run into it.
    Wyborn wrote: »
    3-5 is the watermark for the entire franchise and was never really topped, though 4-4 made a go of it

I'm definitely feeling it. 1-4 and 2-4 have all been fantastic, but this is topping them both pretty easily. If there's one thing these games seem to know how to do, its end on a high note.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Every time I see this thread get bumped, I think that Layton vs Wright got a US release date.

And then I start considering buying a European 3DS.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Hate to break it to you, but there's a case in Apollo Justice that's worse than any case before or after.
    And that case is "all of the cases"

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    And that case is "all of the cases"

There's one in particular that stands butt and thighs below all the rest. I have PTSD physiological responses to hearing the words "guitar" and "serenade" in close proximity to one another.

• Options
    So yeah, the Pheonix Wright trilogy is coming west to the eShop

iFSxrxXl.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Oh neat, the Japanese version is included. Not all that surprising given the Japanese release already came with multiple languages, but still.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The trilogy has been ported to just about every electronic device in the past decade, so this isn't terribly surprising or exciting since who the fuck hasn't owned these games at this point!?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    It means people can get into the series cheaply (ish) without playing the iOS versions. Those ones are fine, but if I had the option to play without botched music and animations, I sure as hell would have taken it last year.

What baffles me is that this version is $30 while the iOS version is $16. $30 is a fair price, but still.

• Options
    It's using the 3d models like the other new games right?

I hope we finally get a date for layton vs wright at e3

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

No, they're updated versions of the original not polygonal.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

No, they're updated versions of the original not polygonal.

It's also the same new drawings on iOS people bitched mightily about.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    At least the fonts will be back to normal?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    They're actually the original art assets

They were never meant to be viewed at iOs resolutions

Should look perfectly good on 3DS screens

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The clips of the Japanese version I saw looked a lot nicer on the 3DS than the iOS version, but even that's in the range of acceptable when you hold it in portrait mode. Those assets were definitely never meant to be displayed full size.

• Options
    The US finally gets Layton vs. Wright on August 29.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Better be a good reason for the long wait.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

About time.

Now I know how the PAL folks feel. Or at least I got a little taste of it.

• Options

Probably just to space it out a little from the last Wright game.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

How much dialog (particularly, voiced dialog) is there in the game? That kind of thing takes a deceptively long time to do.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »

How much dialog (particularly, voiced dialog) is there in the game? That kind of thing takes a deceptively long time to do.

Well it's been out in Europe in English for months

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I'm glad but I want Miles Edgeworth II. I will accept nothing else.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »

If they love us they'll include it as an extra, but this is Level 5 not Capcom.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Well, they're releasing the first three games as a 3DS collection, so there's hope.

• Options
    Well, they're releasing the first three games as a 3DS collection, so there's hope.

So if they ever decide to rerelease the game in Japan, we might get a chance.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I just cleared off PW3 and started Apollo Justice.

Whatever flaws the game has can get a pass for now, because going to the first pure DS release from the iOS versions with GBA sounds and missing animations is incredible. The text scrolls so fast! Its amazing! I'll be grabbing the 3DS trilogy for sure if it feels like this.

SightTDW on
  • Options

There's a fan translation in the wild now.

Which means that Crapcom is losing out on potential sales because they can't get off their ass and just release it in America already. Seriously, I don't want to play a fan translation, I want an official one.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2014

Which means that Crapcom is losing out on potential sales because they can't get off their ass and just release it in America already. Seriously, I don't want to play a fan translation, I want an official one.

Last I checked, it only covered the first 2 cases.

Edit: Make that 3 cases.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »

Last I checked, it only covered the first 2 cases.

Edit: Make that 3 cases.

The whole game is done now.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Yup, the whole game is done and up. I took a quick glance at it and it all looks rock solid.

I still want an official release, but kudos to the people who actually put the work in. It's a shame Capcom couldn't be bothered.

SightTDW on
  • Options
    Hmm.