As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ace Attorney: 20 Years of Finger Pointing

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Funny how when Layton stops getting marketing is when it stops selling as well as it used to. Wait, funny's not the right word, it's "predictable."

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, the simple fact is that it's not the super hardcore gamers that are buying the Layton games. It's the people who are kind of into gaming but aren't quite following the pulse or going into Gamestop regularly to check the new stuff. You need to advertise them so that the target market knows there's a new Layton coming out. My mom has every single one of them, but she does because I tell her when they're coming out. She wouldn't even notice until she went to buy my sister something for Christmas otherwise.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, Layton v Wright ending.
    I enjoyed it, though... was it just me or did the climax go on waaaaaay too long? I realize they had a long to explain, but man did it get draggy.

Glad they took the effort for a last-minute Edgeworth appearance.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Somehow I hadn't realized the VS game had a physical release in the states. I was seconds away from buying it digitally when I read (in this thread) that it was also in the shops. I'd rather have a case, honestly. Being able to physically shelve a game feels better than having an icon lingering on the home screen forever. Probably picking up a copy after work today.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    As someone who considers himself the core Layton and PW demographic, I literally have no way of knowing when the new games are coming out aside from this thread. Like I just found out about Layton vs. PW and purchased it digitally today, and this thing is totally my jam.

• Options
    Just finished the second witch trial. This is not the type of game that pulls punches, it appears!
    Granted, its clearly the case that either those witches aren't dying or things can ultimately be undone, because obviously Maya isn't gonna die. But poor Phoenix and Luke! There's all sorts of emotional anguish going on here.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Finished Layton vs Phoenix, really loved it. They could've half-assed it, but it was really both a full Layton game and a full PW game in its own right.

The ending severely strains credulity, but I wouldn't expect anything else from Layton (or PW for that matter) and honestly enjoy how wacky the explanations for everything going on gets.
    Maz- wrote: »
    I finished Layton vs Ace Attorney the other day.

Man, what a great game. Although it definitely feels more like a Layton game than an Ace Attorney one, the two distinct styles complemented each other quite nicely.
    A few minor nitpicks: the game is rather on the easy side, especially since you can use hint coins during the court room sections now, and Maya's voice actress wasn't all that great, but other than that, they did a fantastic job with this game. Also, the 3D effect is just about the best I've seen on the system.

The story and especially the ending / resolution do get a little far-fetched, as is often the case with the stories in Layton games, but I personally didn't have a problem with it. Well, actually I do have one:
    The villagers couldn't see all the machinery - alright, I get that. Nonetheless, they were still there, they were just invisible. So in the ~10 years the Labyrinthia project has been running, no one ever accidentally bumped into one of the cranes or something? This seems especially hard to believe with the bell tower, which is right in the middle of that plaza.

Anyway, I can wholeheartedly recommend this game to fans of either series. It's a shame that this will be the last Layton game though :(
    The whole "not running into the cranes" thing is actually more believable than you'd think, for someone under hypnosis or otherwise in a heightened state of suggestibility. People have what is referred to as "blindsight" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight) where they'll subconsciously react to/avoid objects their senses can pick up on even if they can't consciously recognize that an object is there. On top of that, if some big accident happened involving some machinery shades could always show up and ring and bell and fix people's memories, etc.

Actually, in general I have a way easier time accepting everything in the explanation for this one after reading The City and The City by China Mieville, which was actually a really similar set-up in many respects (objects in plain sight that people can't "see", people who operate outside of society enforcing that, etc).

There was some stuff that went totally unexplained, though. Like, Darklaw was totally doing magic in London in the beginning. I guess she could've set up all the smoke and mirrors ahead of time since she always intended to lure Layton to the town, but she wouldn't have had the benefit of all the drugs and junk.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Finished Layton vs Phoenix, really loved it. They could've half-assed it, but it was really both a full Layton game and a full PW game in its own right.

The ending severely strains credulity, but I wouldn't expect anything else from Layton (or PW for that matter) and honestly enjoy how wacky the explanations for everything going on gets.

Man, what a great game. Although it definitely feels more like a Layton game than an Ace Attorney one, the two distinct styles complemented each other quite nicely.
    A few minor nitpicks: the game is rather on the easy side, especially since you can use hint coins during the court room sections now, and Maya's voice actress wasn't all that great, but other than that, they did a fantastic job with this game. Also, the 3D effect is just about the best I've seen on the system.

The story and especially the ending / resolution do get a little far-fetched, as is often the case with the stories in Layton games, but I personally didn't have a problem with it. Well, actually I do have one:
    The villagers couldn't see all the machinery - alright, I get that. Nonetheless, they were still there, they were just invisible. So in the ~10 years the Labyrinthia project has been running, no one ever accidentally bumped into one of the cranes or something? This seems especially hard to believe with the bell tower, which is right in the middle of that plaza.

Anyway, I can wholeheartedly recommend this game to fans of either series. It's a shame that this will be the last Layton game though :(
    The whole "not running into the cranes" thing is actually more believable than you'd think, for someone under hypnosis or otherwise in a heightened state of suggestibility. People have what is referred to as "blindsight" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight) where they'll subconsciously react to/avoid objects their senses can pick up on even if they can't consciously recognize that an object is there. On top of that, if some big accident happened involving some machinery shades could always show up and ring and bell and fix people's memories, etc.

Actually, in general I have a way easier time accepting everything in the explanation for this one after reading The City and The City by China Mieville, which was actually a really similar set-up in many respects (objects in plain sight that people can't "see", people who operate outside of society enforcing that, etc).

There was some stuff that went totally unexplained, though. Like, Darklaw was totally doing magic in London in the beginning. I guess she could've set up all the smoke and mirrors ahead of time since she always intended to lure Layton to the town, but she wouldn't have had the benefit of all the drugs and junk.
    Didn't the Storyteller explain that the book was saturated in the drug and was enough to knock them out?

Anywho, my biggest "Uh, what?" question with the story is this: You have two girls traumatised by inadvertently causing an horrific accident, and your solution is to generate a fantasy world and mind wipe dozens if not hundreds of folk all to build an external blame figure for said accident? Are therapists really expensive in England?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I dunno, the flow feels better.

Here's a better thing to use for your judgement of whether you'll get it or not: A first look that contains 1-1 in its entirety, and in English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpgL0L1K2IY

• Options

Didn't the Storyteller explain that the book was saturated in the drug and was enough to knock them out?

Anywho, my biggest "Uh, what?" question with the story is this: You have two girls traumatised by inadvertently causing an horrific accident, and your solution is to generate a fantasy world and mind wipe dozens if not hundreds of folk all to build an external blame figure for said accident? Are therapists really expensive in England?
    While crazy and outlandish, I felt it made sense as it was presented; a very gradual, one-step-at-a-time thing that grew ridiculously out of hand over time. First it's just a story, then he's getting some friends to act some stuff out, then he's putting on a bigger production, etc. He had other goals he was furthering by perpetuating the whole thing at the same time too; running the experiment was getting him money and influence and rebuilding the town he was responsible for destroying, etc. For instance, it's clear that by the time you enter the story he's hardly thinking about his daughter anymore. I think the take-home is that the Storyteller was definitely traumatized by the event too (it was way more his fault than it was the girls') and more than a little off his rocker over it. He probably felt like he needed the story as much as the girls did, and I don't think his approach to the whole thing was intended to appear rational in any way.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

While crazy and outlandish, I felt it made sense as it was presented; a very gradual, one-step-at-a-time thing that grew ridiculously out of hand over time. First it's just a story, then he's getting some friends to act some stuff out, then he's putting on a bigger production, etc. He had other goals he was furthering by perpetuating the whole thing at the same time too; running the experiment was getting him money and influence and rebuilding the town he was responsible for destroying, etc. For instance, it's clear that by the time you enter the story he's hardly thinking about his daughter anymore. I think the take-home is that the Storyteller was definitely traumatized by the event too (it was way more his fault than it was the girls') and more than a little off his rocker over it. He probably felt like he needed the story as much as the girls did, and I don't think his approach to the whole thing was intended to appear rational in any way.
    Between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future, those being the only two Layton games I've played, I came into Layton vs. Wright absolutely prepared for the ending to basically be "essentially good person makes a slightly irrational decision that gets way the fuck out of hand".

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »

Between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future, those being the only two Layton games I've played, I came into Layton vs. Wright absolutely prepared for the ending to basically be "essentially good person makes a slightly irrational decision that gets way the fuck out of hand".

That actually does kind of sum up most Layton plots.

Though, the more recent games in the series had Targent to be a big bad.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    So I ended Layton vs Phoenix Wright.
    Okay, I expected the whole magic not existing thing, because that's just standard Layton, even though it seemed impossible and at times I kinda wondered if the twist was going to be that for once it was real since some things seemed impossible to stage. I can take in stride the people not just constantly running into machinery as something of a psychological quirk of hypnotized people, but I have some real trouble reconciling the beginning of the game with the end. We see Darklaw flying, and we see a pile of familiars, which are probably shades, also flying, with no visible means of propulsion - what, has Labelum also invented perfectly silent antigravity devices? We see a car sent into a tree in a way that it must have been heaved there, in the middle of a London where people are most definitely NOT hypnotized - what, am I supposed to assume Labelum had two statues in the middle of a random park in London turned into robots beforehand for whatever reason? Basically, the game started up with some things that looked impossible to make you believe in magic... and then the explanations offered STILL make them look impossible, so it kind of makes the brain twitch.

And of course, there's the fact that hypnosis or not, fake or not, people believed they were doing some pretty nasty stuff and did it of their own volition. People thought they were killing witches and sending them to die remorselessly, constantly calling for burnings. There have been assaults in the game, severe emotional distress, Cantabella tried to kill Layton and Luke up at the tower... the big picture may have worked out, but in my personal gallery of small pictures it all going without so much as a mention just doesn't sit entirely well with me. People keep talking about "blame" when referring to two little girls that had no idea what they were doing and seem to ignore other stuff previously done by cognizant adults.

Plus the memories are going to return now - and Cantabella said himself that the town was mostly staffed by people who wanted to leave the past behind, didn't he? I wonder how happy an ending this is going to really be...

Still, the game was most definitely fun and worth the playthrough. I wonder if I should take advantage of the Capcom sale to get Dual Destinies now... how's that one? Fun? I never did get around to playing Apollo, would I miss anything from there?

Drascin on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    am I supposed to assume Labelum had two statues in the middle of a random park in London turned into robots beforehand for whatever reason?
    Yes, actually.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Okay, I expected the whole magic not existing thing, because that's just standard Layton, even though it seemed impossible and at times I kinda wondered if the twist was going to be that for once it was real since some things seemed impossible to stage. I can take in stride the people not just constantly running into machinery as something of a psychological quirk of hypnotized people, but I have some real trouble reconciling the beginning of the game with the end. We see Darklaw flying, and we see a pile of familiars, which are probably shades, also flying, with no visible means of propulsion - what, has Labelum also invented perfectly silent antigravity devices? We see a car sent into a tree in a way that it must have been heaved there, in the middle of a London where people are most definitely NOT hypnotized - what, am I supposed to assume Labelum had two statues in the middle of a random park in London turned into robots beforehand for whatever reason? Basically, the game started up with some things that looked impossible to make you believe in magic... and then the explanations offered STILL make them look impossible, so it kind of makes the brain twitch.

And of course, there's the fact that hypnosis or not, fake or not, people believed they were doing some pretty nasty stuff and did it of their own volition. People thought they were killing witches and sending them to die remorselessly, constantly calling for burnings. There have been assaults in the game, severe emotional distress, Cantabella tried to kill Layton and Luke up at the tower... the big picture may have worked out, but in my personal gallery of small pictures it all going without so much as a mention just doesn't sit entirely well with me. People keep talking about "blame" when referring to two little girls that had no idea what they were doing and seem to ignore other stuff previously done by cognizant adults.

Plus the memories are going to return now - and Cantabella said himself that the town was mostly staffed by people who wanted to leave the past behind, didn't he? I wonder how happy an ending this is going to really be...

Still, the game was most definitely fun and worth the playthrough. I wonder if I should take advantage of the Capcom sale to get Dual Destinies now... how's that one? Fun? I never did get around to playing Apollo, would I miss anything from there?

Dual Destinies is great

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

Dual Destinies is great

Don't forget to pick up the DLC for one of the more insane final showdowns. It's a long case, so there's no chance you'll feel ripped off.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Well, I got it and just started. Since I didn't play Apollo I don't know these people, but the way this Athena girl was not allowed to actually do anything at all before Phoenix comes in for the save I did not like. Why have an intro with a character and then take the character away before you can actually do anything with her.

• Options
    Well, I got it and just started. Since I didn't play Apollo I don't know these people, but the way this Athena girl was not allowed to actually do anything at all before Phoenix comes in for the save I did not like. Why have an intro with a character and then take the character away before you can actually do anything with her.

Don't worry, she definitely gets her moments later on.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Dual Destinies is definitely Athena's game, it just includes the other characters much much much better than Apollo's game did.

Also, way better cases than Apollo's.

And no awful songs. Playing ad infinitum.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I bought Dual Destinies on sale, but I've since felt compelled to play through the entire series as a refresher, more so since I have Apollo Justice but just never got around to playing it.

Already completed the circus case in 2. It's... not as bad as I remember. It's just a complete filler story with no relation to any plot thread at all.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I bought Dual Destinies on sale, but I've since felt compelled to play through the entire series as a refresher, more so since I have Apollo Justice but just never got around to playing it.

Already completed the circus case in 2. It's... not as bad as I remember. It's just a complete filler story with no relation to any plot thread at all.

Technically isn't the 1-3 the same way too?

Though iirc 1-3 has the benefit of involving some character growth for Edgeworth, as he's starting to get on board with the whole "go for the truth, not the conviction" by the end of it?

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Though iirc 1-3 has the benefit of involving some character growth for Edgeworth, as he's starting to get on board with the whole "go for the truth, not the conviction" by the end of it?

1-3 is all about Edgeworth redeeming himself. 1-1 doesn't even have him, and 1-2 is pure Phoenix vs Edgeworth. Then in 1-4 you're up against von Karma

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

1-3 is all about Edgeworth redeeming himself. 1-1 doesn't even have him, and 1-2 is pure Phoenix vs Edgeworth. Then in 1-4 you're up against von Karma

This is actually one of the reasons I like 1-5 so much, because it takes what you saw in 1-3 and takes him all the way to explicitly being on Phoenix's side.

And, of course, as a general rule of thumb any case in the series that has Phoenix and Edgeworth working together is one of the best in the series. 1-5, 2-4, 3-4, 5-4.

• Options
    Ok, maybe I was just stupid at the time, or maybe the addition of foreknowledge changes things, but I'm picking up a hell of a lot more nuance in 2-4.
    At the end of the first day's trial, Phoenix and Edgeworth have essentially switched places compared to where they both were in the first game. Not attorney/prosecutor, I mean Phoenix is the one with the "Get the (Not) Guilty verdict at any cost" attitude, while Edgeworth cares only about seeing the truth.

I know that's supposed to be the point, it's just easier to pick up on now that I know about the even more messed up shit that is to come. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Dual Destinies is definitely Athena's game, it just includes the other characters much much much better than Apollo's game did.

Also, way better cases than Apollo's.

And no awful songs. Playing ad infinitum.

"Woh... Woh..."

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I powered through the final case and finally beat Layton x Wright. I might post more complete thoughts later, but right now my one nagging thought is...
    Nearly the entire population of a small town burned to death in a single night with no apparent repercussions. That's a conspiracy in itself.

Also, funny Edgeworth cameo at the end.

I really loved it overall. It's a great Layton game and a great Ace Attorney game.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Arteen wrote: »
    I powered through the final case and finally beat Layton x Wright. I might post more complete thoughts later, but right now my one nagging thought is...
    Nearly the entire population of a small town burned to death in a single night with no apparent repercussions. That's a conspiracy in itself.

Also, funny Edgeworth cameo at the end.

I really loved it overall. It's a great Layton game and a great Ace Attorney game.
    I dunno, it doesn't seem that outlandish. It's believable enough to think it was an honest to goodness accident that didn't need any further looking into.

It did remind me though of the one nagging thought I personally had:

Ok, everybody's got that weird condition thanks to the water where they fall unconscious when they hear silver being rung. I can buy that weird fact. But they establish that in order to perform a lot of the magic, they exploit this fact by ringing small bells so that everybody is out while they set up. What gets me though is that nobody thinks it's weird when they would inevitably wake up off the ground. They establish that the effect happens so fast that you don't register falling asleep... but surely you'd notice waking up!

The Wolfman on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    It's just a complete filler story with no relation to any plot thread at all.

I dunno, man. I think of those as "cases" rather than "filler." Like, seeing everything come together in a big way at the end of the first game was really satisfying but now it's kind of de rigueur, and even in a game with spirit mediums and manacled Death Row prosecutors, having a hero who somehow only takes cases that end up revealing the hidden backstories of his companions stretches disbelief, and makes the world of the game feel even tinier than it already does.

Sometimes I really like knowing that a case is a black box, complete and self-contained, and that I can have a fighting chance of figuring out what happened based on the evidence presented in the case rather than closing with a bunch of loose ends that only get addressed later on.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    as for myself, I found this thread because I am on Case 5 of Dual Destinies and it's great. This miiiight be my favorite PW game since the first. I really enjoy Athena as a character and I like the older, more seasoned Phoenix. I notice that when the case swings against him, his mind doesn't get BLOWN the way Apollo and Athena do; he's smoother and more confident. It's a neat touch.

It's nice to see (spoilers, I guess)
    that AA5 is bringing back or at least mentioning past characters like Edgeworth, Pearl, Maya, and Klavier. I've grown to love Fulbright, too, but I miss Gumshoe and Ema Skye and hope they might turn up at least once before the end.

Apollo Justice was weirdly fastidious about clearing the decks of every old character besides Phoenix and the judge. I'm not sure what brought that on, but it's nice to see the game kind of organically folding its extended cast back in where they can.

I wouldn't really mind if Meekins and Wendy Oldbag were left in the dustbin of history, though.

• Options
    Next game will feature Ace Attorney Wendy Oldbag and her assistant Meekins.

• Options
    Next game will feature Ace Attorney Wendy Oldbag and her assistant Meekins.

7sFRsWc.gif

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I still have to beat Dual Destinies...and all seven Layton games.

Should I finish those before playing Layton x Wright?

I mean Layton vs Wright.

vs.

But seriously. Should I? Do the stories follow or whatever?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Try at least the first Layton game because it's rad as Hell and deserves to be played

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Try at least the first Layton game because it's rad as Hell and deserves to be played

I love em, I'm like 70% through it. I actually bought all of the Layton games recently and intend to play through them all - I was just wondering if I really need to play through them before LaytonslashWright?

I mean vs.

vs.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm going to out on a limb and say no

One game in the bag for each protagonist seems like it should theoretically be enough? But I don't know where the game is supposed to fit in the canon of either series

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Layton vs. Wright is very much stand-alone. You don't actually have to have played any of the games from either series to follow it, and there's no spoilers so long as you've played Phoenix Wright 1.

I think timeline-wise it's supposed to fit in somewhere between Phoenix Wright 1 and 3, and somewhere between Layton 1 and 3.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Layton vs Wright seems to have MUCH easier puzzles than Layton 1 so far. So I would say play it as early as possible (in the Layton series), so you're not disappointed later.

• Options
    Layton vs Wright seems to have MUCH easier puzzles than Layton 1 so far. So I would say play it as early as possible (in the Layton series), so you're not disappointed later.
    The puzzles that you have to do in order to progress are for the most part pretty easy in Layton vs Wright (probably for the benefit of people coming into the series from the Wright side). However, there's some pretty good optional puzzles.