As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MOBA DOBA] Lady Lux is Smilin' (giant ass patch has landed)

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    So picture this: We get a ranked going, and it goes something like us, who got Morgana (me), Pantheon and Taric on the same team.

Not a single person on the enemy team thought about getting Mercury Treads.

We obviously won.

You don't know if they thought about it.

Bah semantics. :P

But you know, maybe they had mental problems? This would explain a lot. Including Yi who facechecked all day.

Dac Vin on
  • TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So picture this: We get a ranked going, and it goes something like us, who got Morgana (me), Pantheon and Taric on the same team.

Not a single person on the enemy team thought about getting Mercury Treads.

We obviously won.

You don't know if they thought about it.

Bah semantics. :P

But you know, maybe they had mental problems? This would explain a lot. Including Yi who facechecked all day.

Maybe one of them was Hitler.

TracerBullet on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Two things I've learned today. Always learing things with this game.

Urgots Ult says "Fuck yo rocket jump Trist! GET OVER HERE!" She was mid-air too and I was all o_O and then :lol:

Nunu's Ult says "I did no damage, but I still killed you." This was just werid. Cause I killed him as he was doing his ult and Annie killed me or his ult did when I killed him or something.

Urgot, The best fat ugly slow crab-legged cyborg champ!
    Amusing note: Morgana can shield the target of Urgot's ult while he's channeling and it will break, because the shield prevents the forced swap.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »

Urgots Ult says "Fuck yo rocket jump Trist! GET OVER HERE!" She was mid-air too and I was all o_O and then :lol:

Nunu's Ult says "I did no damage, but I still killed you." This was just werid. Cause I killed him as he was doing his ult and Annie killed me or his ult did when I killed him or something.

Amusing note: Morgana can shield the target of Urgot's ult while he's channeling and it will break, because the shield prevents the forced swap.

This would be infinitely more amusing if it just caused Urgot to teleport to your team, but not swap.

TracerBullet on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dizzen wrote: »
    What I meant was, while laning, just about every time I cast Baleful Strike on an enemy champion, I've painfully aware of the extra AP I didn't just get with that spell cast. And regardless of whether my target was a champion or minion, as soon as I use it, that's eight / six / whatever seconds (depending on how far into the game you are) where I can't really do much damage at all to the enemy champs. And his auto attack range just isn't long enough to harass with against many champions.

So against some lane opponents, all I can manage to do is try not to get zoned while relying on my stun and lane mate (assuming I have one, makes things a lot easier when I do) to discourage them from tower diving me to death.

well, normally if i have a bursty enough lanemate possibly with some type of stun or slow i start with baleful strike THEN event horizon and get closer while my lanemate does their thing to damage them, and by the time the stun is up and they are running away i should have another baleful up. two balefuls hurt, a shittonnnn

but then i'm getting into going for kills and i am pretty sure this conversation started about harass

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

This would be infinitely more amusing if it just caused Urgot to teleport to your team, but not swap.

It doesn't, some Urgots tried to pull these off when I had my shield off and it just ends with a sad Urgot.

Speaking of shields, having Poppy charging you and just passing through you because you had your shield on?

Still never gets old.

Dac Vin on
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I think tanks are defined by the ability to both take fire and draw it, whereas mord just takes tons of damage while doing quite a bit himself

Mord is one of the best tanks, you just have to understand how he fits into a team composition. You want the rest of your team to bring extra CC, but Mord is nearly immortal and does carry AOE damage when played properly / with good support.

programjunkie on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mord is one of the best tanks, you just have to understand how he fits into a team composition. You want the rest of your team to bring extra CC, but Mord is nearly immortal and does carry AOE damage when played properly / with good support.
    Which is why Morde is a tough melee caster and not a tank.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited October 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »

He's a tough character that forces the enemy team to target him. That's the definition of a tank. He just happens to be more team composition dependent than other tanks.

programjunkie on
    edited October 2010

He's a tough character that forces the enemy team to target him. That's the definition of a tank. He just happens to be more team composition dependent than other tanks.
    Mord in no way forces the enemy team to target him unless he is hilariously overfed.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My biggest gripe with Urgot is that his shield doesn't work as described. It says it absorbes X(+80%) damage for 7 seconds. It doesn't. It absorbs UP TO X(+80%) damage and then it drops and you're screwed. If it actually absorbed X damage for 7 seconds it would be awesome. Unless 7 seconds is shorter than I thought.

Switching places with some fool and then becoming a 7 second unkillable beast. Having their entire team blow their damage wads for no damage. Can still be stunned, slienced, taunted, etc but not killed. Would be so awesome.

Mr.Sunshine on
    edited October 2010

Mord in no way forces the enemy team to target him unless he is hilariously overfed.

His normal 1v2 / 1v1 farm and a merely average amount of early/mid kills should be enough.

programjunkie on
    edited October 2010

His normal 1v2 / 1v1 farm and a merely average amount of early/mid kills should be enough.

Meanwhile people like Amumu and Shen doesn't need kills to be dangerous. You're basically saying Mordekaiser is the best tank when he has an advantage over everyone.

So does everybody else.

Dac Vin on
  • CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only champs that force people to target them are the ones with taunts. Galio/Rammus/Shen.

Mmm semantics.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
    edited October 2010
    He's a tough character that forces the enemy team to target him.
    Nope.

Morde can do nothing to make me target him. If I want to target someone else, I can do so freely. He can no more deter me attacking another player than Akali can.

A tank is a character who is tough enough to initiate and has one or more methods of peeling an enemy from your own team without needing pure brute force.

So for example;

Amumu; Curse and Toss.
    Shen; Dash.
    Rammus; Taunt.
    Galio: Idol.
    Singed; Fling.

These characters are tanks.

Mundo, Morde, Garen, Olaf, Xin Zhao and so on need to be fed in order to fulfil a tank role, because their ability to peel an enemy (and in some cases, initiate and survive) from a friendly depends almost entirely on their damage output.

Urgot and Blitz are minor notes, in that while they both can peel by virtue of a particular move, they either aren't good at initiation (Urgot) or aren't good at tanking (Blitz).

And as Dac Vin said, yes, he can "tank" when overfed. Well, pretty much tough fighter can do that. Pantheon, Jax, Morgana, Vlad and Swain come to mind as other examples of characters that, when built to tank and fed enough, can tank effectively if the enemy team has to focus them.

The differences between tanks and toughs/soaks become most obvious when you get into competitive play, and your tanks start letting the carries take the last hits; Amumu and Galio, for example, are still great tanks even if they only have a third of your team's average last hits. Mordekaiser is not.

Bethryn on
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You actually presented reasons this time, I'm in shock.

Nisi on
    edited October 2010
    Nope.

Morde can do nothing to make me target him. If I want to target someone else, I can do so freely. He can no more deter me attacking another player than Akali can.

A tank is a character who is tough enough to initiate and has one or more methods of peeling an enemy from your own team without needing pure brute force.

Without needing brute force is a bullshit addition. If a character can force enemies to target them without CC, that's fine too.

Mord cannot be ignored if played well.
    The differences between tanks and toughs/soaks become most obvious when you get into competitive play, and your tanks start letting the carries take the last hits; Amumu and Galio, for example, are still great tanks even if they only have a third of your team's average last hits. Mordekaiser is not.

This here proves you don't know how to play with a Mord on your team. If Mord is in a lane with anyone but a dedicated support for him (sona/mord is particularly fucking bullshit), you have fucked up.

Speaking of Sona, they need to nerf that fucking champion. Most OP support character since I started playing LOL, though with the caveat I never personally fought against Kayle / Twitch back when Kayle had a long duration invulnerability.

programjunkie on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sona is fine. You just have to convince your team that she needs to go down ASAP. Like most times she needs to be target number one because she usually becomes the character all teamfights depend on.

Once she goes down all her buffs go away making everyone else on her team fold quickly. That said she is very hard to lane against. Especially with a solid melee character or a good ranged carry.

Drool on
  • VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Vlad can tank.

Pretty good might I add.

VaLiantine on
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I just played Pendragon.
    261iww9.jpg

Highly amusing game. We lost. My team complained out the wazoo and stuff and I listened to 42 minutes of whining and blaming.

Still was an actual close game, something like 42-45 kills, and it went back and forth between the teams. Pen admitted he did bad himself, as did I, but only because they were smart and focusfired me most of the time, rendering me useless in half of the team fights.

Evil Weevil on
    edited October 2010
    Without needing brute force is a bullshit addition. If a character can force enemies to target them without CC, that's fine too.
    But that's the point. Brute force is a peel on its own. Any character can peel someone if they have enough damage. Do you think that makes any character a tank?

If so, then it's merely a difference of definition, and I have a stricter definition than you.
    This here proves you don't know how to play with a Mord on your team. If Mord is in a lane with anyone but a dedicated support for him (sona/mord is particularly fucking bullshit), you have fucked up.
    Yes that is exactly what it "proves" and you are a master of internet debate?
    Speaking of Sona, they need to nerf that fucking champion. Most OP support character since I started playing LOL, though with the caveat I never personally fought against Kayle / Twitch back when Kayle had a long duration invulnerability.
    She needs some damn casting animations.

Bethryn on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm lovin swain

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit gods of the toilet bowl, can we not have a semantics aregument about who is a tank for this entire thread please

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lets discuss who are yordles instead.

Nunu is a yordle.

Nisi on
    edited October 2010
    i hope malzahar is a yordle!!!

anivia is too, right?

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah there are lots of arbitrary ways to define a tank that exclude certain characters. Good job.

JAEF on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yay for undying Vlad games. :D
    immortalvlad.png

29 minute surrender without me getting a chance to go back for my 2nd Sunfire (let alone the 3rd + Elixirs). :(
    I survived every single last gank attempt and teamfight. Feels good man.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited October 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Yeah there are lots of arbitrary ways to define a tank that exclude certain characters. Good job.
    Thanks. :)

Bethryn on
    edited October 2010
    lately i've been kind of an elixir fiend

i can't stop being like "mang imma get an elixir and eat some dudes"

and i make fun of enemies who get elixirs basically non stop

i should get stacking items more, cause i go mid playing with my friends a lot and it normally do really well and some of them (they are new) end up getting owned and feeding

they always claim it is like level 3 towerdives but i am still pretty sure they are putting themselves in bad positions in order to be dove that early

a fed xin zhao is honestly the scariest thing in the entire game

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
    edited October 2010
    I love XZ. Lately when my solo queues have been without a jungler and some meat I pick him up and go jungle specced 9/21/0, grab the 1k madred's and boots then start grabbing some defensive items appropriate to the other team, eventually finishing a bloodrazor, last whisper or starks, and randuin's/FoN/BV/GA depending on what strikes my fancy. Unstoppable. Or my team gets shut down early and we lose because laning is hard.

JAEF on
    edited October 2010
    I would say a fed Tryndamere scares me more than a fed Xin, but it's pretty close.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited October 2010
    They are different kinds of scary. If you have 2 hard CC's (root/stun) then tryndamere's just a free kill. XZ is just gonna take that punishment and keep coming.

JAEF on
  • BatmantisBatmantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I always ban mordekaiser because I don't want someone on my team to pick him. It's ridiculously difficult to win a game with him on my team. Anyone that is good enough to be removely useful with morde is better off playing a character that isn't awful anyway.

Also, bought miss fortune last night. Does doubling-up somebody that's hiding behind their tower ever get old?

Batmantis on
    Play with me people!
    LOL: Batmantis
    MTGO: Batmantis88
  • SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Batmantis wrote: »
    I always ban mordekaiser because I don't want someone on my team to pick him. It's ridiculously difficult to win a game with him on my team. Anyone that is good enough to be removely useful with morde is better off playing a character that isn't awful anyway.

Also, bought miss fortune last night. Does doubling-up somebody that's hiding behind their tower ever get old?

screw you

mordekaiser for president 2012

SuMa.Lustre on
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BEST ONLINE TECHNICAL!

Magic Radio on
    edited October 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    They are different kinds of scary. If you have 2 hard CC's (root/stun) then tryndamere's just a free kill. XZ is just gonna take that punishment and keep coming.
    Pretty sure Trynd can pop his ult through stuns if necessary, so unless you mean to save them for when his ult is active and kill him right afterwards, it's not gonna do something. And if you can get him down to popping his ult without half your team already being dead, we're not talking about the same levels of fed. ^^

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Nope.

Mord cannot be ignored if played well.

And that's true of oh, every single champion in the game.

But whatever, gonna stop my efforts to kill myself with aneurysm. Just every time you open your mouth I'm going to remember, "this is the guy who thinks Mordekaiser is among the best tanks" and walk away.

edit: Tryndamere will always pop his ultimate before you kill him. Fuck, in all my LoL career I have only seen Tryn fails his ult three times: twice because his health got downed so fucking fast he didn't have time to react, and once because he thought he was safe and away from everyone and suddenly dark binding in your face.

Dac Vin on
  • Zorak15Zorak15 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OMFG. I figured out what causes lag in the pre-launch client. AVG resident shield OR active internet surf or whatever. Disabled both and lient is now running smooth on a 7 year old computer.

Zorak15 on
    steam_sig.png
    Registered member since '04, Lurking since '99!
    edited October 2010
    Pretty sure Trynd can pop his ult through stuns if necessary, so unless you mean to save them for when his ult is active and kill him right afterwards, it's not gonna do something. And if you can get him down to popping his ult without half your team already being dead, we're not talking about the same levels of fed. ^^
    Of course I mean the latter. Trynd doesn't build defense, he's a pure glass cannon. He's easy to damage down if your team has decent damage. Burst damage->CC while he's forced to ult->he has to run or die. If your team has no CC then you're fucked and made bad life choices anyway.

An Antivirus causing lag :O
    You don't say.

JAEF on
  • CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmm I don't have any of those enabled yet my LoL client still slows down so much after it's been running for about 2 hours. I'm inclined to think that's just because it's crap though. Changing masteries and browsing the shop shouldn't be that slow.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel