As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas (and the other ones)

BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Games and Technology
Shit old OP removed.

Here's a fix for the shit framerate on the PC.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34778

If you want shit added, PM me, or just wait for the 20 pages to fill in and someone who cares to make a new thread.

BlackDove on

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    God damnit, why aren't you people making the thread.

I want to talk about some New Vegas.

This.

I'm picking it up tomorrow at midnight.

I'm so excited, I may wet myself.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I might pick it up if I come across some cash/store credit, otherwise I'll be waiting 'til Friday.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm counting the skill points.

30 levels x 20 skillpoints at 10 intelligence = 600 skill points.

Taking the Educated perk at level 4 means 660-8, which is 652 skill points, right?

Then there's the books and the comprehension perk. How many magazines were confirmed again?

I must know. The OCD is going into overdrive.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Taking the Educated perk at level 4 means 660-8, which is 652 skill points, right?

Then there's the books and the comprehension perk. How many magazines were confirmed again?

You're gonna be one of those yahoos who aims to do anything and everything in the game, aren't you? Next thing you know, someone's gonna say they're going through the entire game bare-handed and in pajammas (I'm SO doing that).

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've noticed that New Vegas has challenges now(ie, get 50 kills with this or that), I wonder if it's like Borderlands/MW where you get exp bonuses for completing them.

Edit: Also, I've been watching the livestream and Laser weapons can still ADS they just don't have visible ironsights, but as long as you're familiar with the systems you should be fine.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm definitely grabbing this thing at midnight tomorrow. I don't have to work the next day, and my only class isn't until 6 in the evening.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    milk ducks wrote: »
    God damnit, why aren't you people making the thread.

I want to talk about some New Vegas.

This.

I'm picking it up tomorrow at midnight.

I'm so excited, I may wet myself.

Same.
    Minus the wetting.
    Or not.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You're gonna be one of those yahoos who aims to do anything and everything in the game, aren't you?

yessssssssf.jpg

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I've noticed that New Vegas has challenges now(ie, get 50 kills with this or that), I wonder if it's like Borderlands/MW where you get exp bonuses for completing them.

*shrugs* That sounds interesting, but I actually hope that's not the case. The whole XP gaining formula for all Fallout games up 'til now has been: fixed amount based on enemies killed, and large fixed amount based on quest completed.

I'd rather not alter something that's already awesome... unless you add more awesome.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm still wondering if I should take 1 Charisma only, since its description says "increases NPC disposition" but isnt that the exact same thing that Speech does ?

You're gonna be one of those yahoos who aims to do anything and everything in the game, aren't you?

Who isnt.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

*shrugs* That sounds interesting, but I actually hope that's not the case. The whole XP gaining formula for all Fallout games up 'til now has been: fixed amount based on enemies killed, and large fixed amount based on quest completed.

I'd rather not alter something that's already awesome... unless you add more awesome.

...Who said it would alter any of that?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I'm still wondering if I should take 1 Charisma only, since its description says "increases NPC disposition" but isnt that the exact same thing that Speech does ?

Unless it's used in quest specifics or for obtaining certain perks, CHA is the most useless special stat in the entire game....

Dragkonias wrote:
    ...Who said it would alter any of that?

Alter probably wasn't the right word... I'm just not accustomed to change, really. Hell, it took me a while to get used to the fact that FO3 wasn't a turn-based RPG.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I read this on Bethesda's forums.

"With a 10 INT nets you 15 skill points per level up. That is 435 skill points gained by the time you reach level 30. (You don't get 15 skill points at level 1.)"

Rest of the thread is here. (Not sure if its that accurate though.)

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You're gonna be one of those yahoos who aims to do anything and everything in the game, aren't you? Next thing you know, someone's gonna say they're going through the entire game bare-handed and in pajammas (I'm SO doing that).

Actually, I just did that in Fallout 3. I wore a lab coat instead of pajammas, but the principle is the same. I wanted my character to do superhuman battle with the AntAgonizer and the Mechanist in the wastelands surrounding Canterbury Commons. I had a pair of nice thick black glasses, too. And I just punched the hell out of everything that moved. With the Bloody Mess perk, people explode when I punch them sometimes.

FAAALCON PAAAAAAAWNCH!

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I read this on Bethesda's forums.

"With a 10 INT nets you 15 skill points per level up. That is 435 skill points gained by the time you reach level 30. (You don't get 15 skill points at level 1.)"

Rest of the thread is here. (Not sure if its that accurate though.)

Thanks. I was way off then.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I cannot wait for this game.

Cannot. Wait.

For some reason, I love stockpiling resources. This is why I am going Guns with Hardcore mode, and stockpiling every round I find.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    milk ducks wrote: »

Actually, I just did that in Fallout 3. I wore a lab coat instead of pajammas, but the principle is the same. I wanted my character to do superhuman battle with the AntAgonizer and the Mechanist in the wastelands surrounding Canterbury Commons. I had a pair of nice thick black glasses, too. And I just punched the hell out of everything that moved. With the Bloody Mess perk, people explode when I punch them sometimes.

FAAALCON PAAAAAAAWNCH!

Was it fun to kill Deathclaws? I always pictured killing them with my bare-hands as being fun... that or killing them with the Rolling Pin

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thread fails for mentioning 'other ones' in the title. Other than Tactics, there were no other Fallout games.

No, there were not.

Quiet, you, or I'll get the puppet man.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wonder how my OCD will take root in New Vegas. Not leaving any scrap of ammunition behind, collecting every unique in the game, and collecting random novelty's (60 teddy bears? Id love that.) comes to mind.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    deowolf wrote: »
    Thread fails for mentioning 'other ones' in the title. Other than Tactics, there were no other Fallout games.

No, there were not.

Go to jail.

I still haven't played Fallout 3 yet. My only option would be to get the PS3 copy, and since my understanding is that it's buggy as fuck because Bethseda can't code their way out of a paper bag, I don't think I want to support that sort of sloppy port job with my money.

I want to get New Vegas. I'm going to wait a while until I hear whether or not the PS3 version is as buggy and glitch-ridden as Fallout 3 was though.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Jaramr wrote: »
    I wonder how my OCD will take root in New Vegas. Not leaving any scrap of ammunition behind, collecting every unique in the game, and collecting random novelty's (60 teddy bears? Id love that.) comes to mind.

I saw some of a stream from the beginning, 50% of my interest was "Guns sure seem more interesting this time around"
    other 50% was my packrat instincts kicking in and I could not comprehend how this dude just left weapons and expensive shit lying around without picking them up.

One thing I'm curious about though, is housing, I really hope you can buy a house this time.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    deowolf wrote: »

No, there were not.

Go to jail.

I still haven't played Fallout 3 yet. My only option would be to get the PS3 copy, and since my understanding is that it's buggy as fuck because Bethseda can't code their way out of a paper bag, I don't think I want to support that sort of sloppy port job with my money.

I want to get New Vegas. I'm going to wait a while until I hear whether or not the PS3 version is as buggy and glitch-ridden as Fallout 3 was though.

Probably a bit less. But it's an Obsidian game. I'm sure it'll have more than a few bugs.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Was it fun to kill Deathclaws? I always pictured killing them with my bare-hands as being fun... that or killing them with the Rolling Pin

Not as bad as you'd probably think: VATS makes you pretty much invincible. Once you get Paralyzing Palm at level 18 (30% chance in VATS to knock your opponent unconcious for 30 seconds), it's pretty much game over. At that point, there's really nothing in the game that can touch you.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So yeah, I think I'm gonna cancel my CE for a regular edition. Was hoping for more in-game goodies with the CE, but I guess that's restricted to just about MMOs now.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    my understanding is that it's buggy as fuck because Bethseda can't code their way out of a paper bag, I don't think I want to support that sort of sloppy port job with my money.

I understand what you're saying, and I'd usually agree, but I can't when it comes to FO3. That game is just so god-damned ambitious that I can forgive some bugs -even nasty ones- because they're trying to do things that just haven't been done before.

So yeah, sure, don't support crappy coding, but do support ambition.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Perhaps they are talking about your companion:
    Charisma also affects companion "Nerve" - whatever that means. The only companion I have right now is ED-E; who is super awesome. . .increased Sensor (I see shit way sooner than before. . .no more accidentally walking into a fucking Deathclaw Den), shes a packrat and plays a mean little tune when we're charging into battle.
    Unless it's used in quest specifics or for obtaining certain perks, CHA is the most useless special stat in the entire game....
    I have counted a handful of times where I wished I had a higher CHA (and Speech). There are still situations that are tied to other skills, but good ol SPEECH is still the king of conversation. Not needed sure - but makes things more convenient; playing on Hard (or Very Hard) you will take any extra help you can get.
    For some reason, I love stockpiling resources. This is why I am going Guns with Hardcore mode, and stockpiling every round I find.
    So yeah, sure, don't support crappy coding, but do support ambition.

Game is kinda buggy though. I have had hard several hard crashes so. . .save now, and save often is my motto.
    Based on my game - guns are are King: theres a ton of them, and more than enough ammo. I went energy weapons and have just NOW after 10 hours started getting ammo. . .invaded an old Robot Staffed power plant and got some nice loot. Of course not having found any other energy weapons means I have semi-poor conditioned energy weapons.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if i'm going to pick up New Vegas. I didn't hate Fallout 3, but I found it extremely dull and boring, I think not helped by the fact that Bethesda is incapable of human emotion.

I'm hoping Obsidian will change is, but for now I think i'm going to wait.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's pretty simple. If you didn't like Fallout 3, chances are you won't like New Vegas.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is that true though? Fallout 3 was more of a reboot and unconnected to F1 and 2.

New Vegas is clearly continuing on the lore from 1 and 2.

That's gotta be worth something.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Regarding the Steam/Digital Distribution versions: I just found this post on the official Bethesda forums. Thought it might interest some folks, given the rather nebulous nature of Steam unlocking times.
    Hey guys wanted to share some info on when the game will be available to unlock on Steam, Direct2Drive, and Gamestop digital download.

On the 19th:

12:01 AM Pacific Time (PST) for North America, Central America, and South America.

On the 22nd

12:01 AM Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) for territories other than North America, Central America, and South America

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    I don't know if i'm going to pick up New Vegas. I didn't hate Fallout 3, but I found it extremely dull and boring, I think not helped by the fact that Bethesda is incapable of human emotion.

This should change your mind

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/fallout-new-vegas-videos/fallout-new-vegas-videos/1413991

As for speaking animations, they are improved but not by much. *Gamebryo*

Also, was away sry for not posting an OP D:

Edit: I'm someone that only could play F3 with some mods and I am liking New Vegas already. Improvment in Writing, Story and Charachters are more important to me.

C2B on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    WMain00 wrote: »

This should change your mind

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/fallout-new-vegas-videos/fallout-new-vegas-videos/1413991

As for speaking animations, they are improved but not by much. *Gamebryo*

Edit: I'm someone that only could play F3 with some mods and I am liking New Vegas already. Improvment in Writing, Story and Charachters are more important to me.

Matthew Perry?

*scrubs New Vegas off list*

That didn't help AT ALL!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    C2B wrote: »

I refreshed the main page like 15 times looking for it, and then it just had to be done.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) wants to make one, I'll just insert it.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I knew I recognized some of those voices. Didn't know that was Matthew Perry though - he does do a chillingly good jobs:
    At least in the opening cinematic - haven't run across him again in 10 hours. . .then again I have visited three major places in that time so. . .

ED! on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In terms of glitchiness, does Fallout 3 GOTY play any differently from Fallout 3 on the PS3?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ED! wrote: »

Perhaps they are talking about your companion:
    Charisma also affects companion "Nerve" - whatever that means. The only companion I have right now is ED-E; who is super awesome. . .increased Sensor (I see shit way sooner than before. . .no more accidentally walking into a fucking Deathclaw Den), shes a packrat and plays a mean little tune when we're charging into battle.
    I have counted a handful of times where I wished I had a higher CHA (and Speech). There are still situations that are tied to other skills, but good ol SPEECH is still the king of conversation. Not needed sure - but makes things more convenient; playing on Hard (or Very Hard) you will take any extra help you can get.

So you have the game already ? Were you asked specificly for a Charisma prerequisite or just a speech one in those times then ?

Sirialis on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jaramr wrote: »

I saw some of a stream from the beginning, 50% of my interest was "Guns sure seem more interesting this time around"
    other 50% was my packrat instincts kicking in and I could not comprehend how this dude just left weapons and expensive shit lying around without picking them up.

One thing I'm curious about though, is housing, I really hope you can buy a house this time.

God, even when I didn't need more money I couldn't help myself from picking up guns and armor in FO3. Even though I knew for a fact I would never in a million years use or need to use most of it, my brain kept filling up with what-if's.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ED! wrote: »
    I knew I recognized some of those voices. Didn't know that was Matthew Perry though - he does do a chillingly good jobs:
    At least in the opening cinematic - haven't run across him again in 10 hours. . .then again I have visited three major places in that time so. . .
    I saw him in one of the streams later on I think. He was sitting in one of the casinos? Anyway, yeah, he does an incredible job. I almost couldn't tell it's him.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sirialis wrote:
    So you have the game already ? Were you asked specificly for a Charisma prerequisite or just a speech one in those times then ?

Just speech. I haven't seen any SPECIAL Conversations - and I'm pretty sure I saw them in FO3. They've also done away with the "percentage of success". I haven't tested it with reloads, but you either meet the requirement, or you don't. If you don't - failure. Carrying around those weightless Magazines and Meds are a must.

ED! on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BlackDove for shittiest op of all time.

Couldnt even copy and paste the one from the old thread

2 more days, people. until release

Buttcleft on
This discussion has been closed.