As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Western Animation- Sym-Bionic Titan cancelled, burn down everything

AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was RightGates of SteelRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Western Animation is pretty damn cool! It's been around for over a hundred years, ranging from serious to silly, to both!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PPf3aaZmUw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa2jYn3LmlE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoeOBDSgWBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBs5ki9atbI

Let's talk about it, humans!

Antimatter on

• WankWank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't believe Spectacular Spider-Man is over. So good, so short-lived.

Wank on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I caught that first one before your edit, cloudeagle. Don't think you can hide it with a ninja edit.

But seriously, I should watch this Justice League stuff sometime. I was going through an immature "man, cartoons suck" phase when it premiered and missed most (all?) of it.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hah, that Wonder Woman clip was awkward.

"In this country we have free speech."

What country? Space? You're in the Justice League and you're in space protecting the world.

I love slips like that. I also love Justice League. Animated DC has always been quality work.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So Superman goes super sayan.

ok.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited October 2010
    I caught that first one before your edit, cloudeagle. Don't think you can hide it with a ninja edit.

But seriously, I should watch this Justice League stuff sometime. I was going through an immature "man, cartoons suck" phase when it premiered and missed most (all?) of it.

D'oh!

The show has its ups and downs... then again the show's "downs" are never less than darn good. It's all worth watching (and I think you can find most of the episodes on youtube), but the second season of Justice League Unlimited is just mind-blowing. The best season of anything Bruce Timm has ever done.

Also you get plenty of this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3K-Tenpq8g&feature=more_related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnB5KzD5_HE

And you've gotta love Flash in Lex Luthor's body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-_ntm-Zarg

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2010
    Great. Now I miss Spec Spidey again.

You dick.

Aroduc on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ALso great is Lex in Flash's body.

"...I have no idea who this is."

KalTorak on
    edited October 2010
    Spec Spidey is THE BEST film depiction of Spider-Man. Period.

Among the many reasons... it's the one that actually worked in Spider-quips during every fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDT6r-R0Vs

cloudeagle on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2010
    I was always partial to the second Static Shock opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avtX1YN8aoI

As long as we all agree that the Little Romeo one was godawful though, it's all good.

Aroduc on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think the one i linked has all the intros one after another, because it's the only one I could find that contained the sidekick intro

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love the Batman Beyond intro so much.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I love the Batman Beyond intro so much.

Me too.

And all the Static crossovers with the rest of the DC universe were quite well done.

cloudeagle on
    edited October 2010
    Hm. Pointless rambling. Batman and Superman Link up via batman/Superman Adventures. In Superman, a lot of Justice League members are introduced, which links them to the Justice League Intro, as well as the JLU recruitment. Batman beyond is linked to Batman. Zeta project comes from Batman Beyond, but is referred to in Justice League Episodes. Static Shock is a Whore and is linked to everything except superman. Teen Titans is somewhat loose, but Robin is from one of the later robins of Batman:TAS. Kid Flash is presumably the younger version of Flash in Justice League and JL:U, which places Teen Titans pretty early in the timeline, probably right after Batman:TAS and before Batman/Superman Adventures. Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths is the link between JL and JL:U but with the characters changed a bit. It explains Wonder Woman's invisible Jet, and the need for recruitment and the first new members of the JL:U.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The little plastic things on the end of shoes are aglets. Their purpose is sinister.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Batman the Animated Series always did it for me.

Al_wat on
    edited October 2010
    The moral of batman beyond is everyone's future sucked.
    except harley
    and bruce. he fucked barbra

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Unfortunately there are no clips of just Landing at Point Rain, but this is still good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EuUf1skshQ

Bloods End on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    This thread has gotten off to an acceptable beginning in terms of Justice League-related content.

It may live. :^:

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Supes vs Captain Marvel fight was a thing of beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2BvSqqmidM

mightyspacepope on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ugh, Superman.

Now for something different:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrEVnrg3Ic

Rhan9 on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A couple months ago I ordered basically all of the boxed sets of Batman: TAS, Superman and Justice League. I'm still working my way through Batman, but watched the other two in their entirety. Totally worth every dime and it's amazing how many well known actors do voices on these series.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The little plastic things on the end of shoes are aglets. Their purpose is sinister.

God yes. The Question was the best part of JLU for a while there.

Kyougu on
    edited October 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

Definitely.

And what's wrong with that Superman scene? Not only is that fight pretty epic, but all of it happened because Lex Luthor played him like a fiddle to make people wonder why they shouldn't be terrified that their well-being is put in the hands of godlike beings that could take over in a heartbeat if they wanted to.

cloudeagle on
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gyral wrote: »
    Totally worth every dime and it's amazing how many well known actors do voices on these series.

Mark Hamill is the Joker as far as I'm concerned. All the others are just imitators.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

Definitely.

And what's wrong with that Superman scene? Not only is that fight pretty epic, but all of it happened because Lex Luthor played him like a fiddle to make people wonder why they shouldn't be terrified that their well-being is put in the hands of godlike beings that could take over in a heartbeat if they wanted to.

This was probably directed at me. In that case, I just find Superman to be an intolerable character. The scene itself was very well made and excellent entertainment, even if he was in it. But this is beside the point, and hence I shall treat you to first 20 seconds of this clip from an exemplary episode of Batman TAS:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzKSkAS24TM

Rhan9 on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does this count, I always liked this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-BFlw0QQmw

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Titan A.E. was excellent.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Normally not that into Superman, but the clip from page one where he talks about living in a cardboard world was pretty excellent.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Part of the reason JLU was awesome is that they did some very, very interesting things with Superman's character in it, even if you're not necessarily a fan of Supes.

I think Titan A.E. suffered from the same problem as Treasure Planet... neither movie knew whether to be hard-boiled sci-fi or kid-friendly. Both are certainly interesting.

Now that gets me nostalgic about TP's depiction of Long John Silver as a cyborg. The flesh parts were hand drawn, the machine parts were CGI. Both worked absolutely seamlessly, but was a huge pain to animate. If I remember right, the animators worked on the extended sequence of Silver in the kitchen for 18 months straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oxGAfIm5l0

And poor Don Bluth. Titan A.E. was his last film, I think. Guy never did live up to the masterpiece that was the Secret of NIMH ever again.

cloudeagle on
    edited October 2010
    Oh yes, loved Titan A.E., even if almost everyone I know who's seen it has shat on it.

Rhan9 on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wanted to like Titan AE but it just felt so... Mediocre I couldn't stand watching it.

Treasure Planet on the other hand was a ton of fun to watch.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Normally not that into Superman, but the clip from page one where he talks about living in a cardboard world was pretty excellent.

It was a pretty cool bit of writing, though it lost a little bit when two seconds later he punches Darkseid through half a dozen buildings, with people clearly underneath, if not necessarily inside.

I noticed the same thing in the Superman: Doomsday movie, where he meteor-slams Doomsday into the ground from orbit... right in the middle of Metropolis. It created a gigantic crater. Shouldn't Superman's MO be to remove the fight to Greenland or the Sahara or somewhere as quickly as possible so he can unload on dudes without causing collateral damage?

KalTorak on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So how many people died in the captain Marvel vs Superman fight? Several buildings where collapsed and they all had the lights on, which seems to sugest they where occupied at the time.

I liked both Titan AE and Treasure Planet, but both had flaws. Titan AE had anonymous villains, I had no idea why they wanted Earth gone or who they even where. Treasure Planet should have stayed Treasure Island since the sci-fi didn't really add anything to the story. The best part of Treasure planet was the Silver/Hawkins father/son relationship and that would have been just fine in an regular adaption. Silly space aliens did nothing for me.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    edited October 2010
    I had no idea why they wanted Earth gone

Because they were total dicks.

You can tell this because they didn't have faces.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    So how many people died in the captain Marvel vs Superman fight? Several buildings where collapsed and they all had the lights on, which seems to sugest they where occupied at the time.

I liked both Titan AE and Treasure Planet, but both had flaws. Titan AE had anonymous villains, I had no idea why they wanted Earth gone or who they even where. Treasure Planet should have stayed Treasure Island since the sci-fi didn't really add anything to the story. The best part of Treasure planet was the Silver/Hawkins father/son relationship and that would have been just fine in an regular adaption. Silly space aliens did nothing for me.

That city they were fighting in was empty apart from the reporters Lex had brought in. No one had moved into those buildings yet.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
    edited October 2010

I always kinda though of the aliens as a background info sort of thing, or a piece of the scenery considering how little importance they actually had to the story. The movie seemed to work relatively well for me in that mindset.

Rhan9 on
    edited October 2010
    Rhan9 wrote: »

I always kinda though of the aliens as a background info sort of thing, or a piece of the scenery considering how little importance they actually had to the story. The movie seemed to work relatively well for me in that mindset.

Yeah, I certainly didn't mind the sci-fi bits, even if it all just boiled down to window dressing. As I said, cyborg Silver is just damn cool.

I just wish the movie could have picked a tone and stuck with it.

cloudeagle on
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Yeah, I certainly didn't mind the sci-fi bits, even if it all just boiled down to window dressing. As I said, cyborg Silver is just damn cool.

I just wish the movie could have picked a tone and stuck with it.

True, although I do believe that the movie does get an undeserved amount of scorn. Treasure Island was plain great though, especially Silver.

Rhan9 on
This discussion has been closed.